• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Goddamnit, guys. You lot burn through pages like paper. I don't know if I'll be able to keep on reading and liking everyone's posts, at least until the post count goes back down to a reasonable level. Good grief...:p
As for Mewtwo's tier placement, I honestly couldn't care less about it, provided he's not completely OP or absolute trash. With the extremes out of the way, tier placement really isn't important to me. I'll main Mewtwo no matter how good or bad he is.
Being low tier in this game isn't as bad as being low tier in previous iterations of Smash, so I'm fine if he's low tier. And if Mewtwo's high tier, then let the tryhards and tier whores run rampant. We Mewtwo mains will likely beat the tar out of them, anyway, so I couldn't care less about that. The only problem I'd have with Mewtwo being high tier is the possibility of people complaining to Sakurai about Mewtwo being OP, which could lead to serious, unnecessary nerfs to him. Now, if Mewtwo is actually OP, then I would welcome the nerfs with open arms, but, otherwise, I'd be pretty steamed. That said, if Mewtwo is low tier, buffs to him would be greatly appreciated. I guess you could say that, while tiers have no impact on my choice of mains, I don't mind having a decently balanced character. From a developer's point of view, I think balance should always come first.
Gun to my head, though, I'd want Mewtwo anywhere in the mid tier, with absolute-mid or high-mid tier being preferable.

@ CeruleanFlow CeruleanFlow - Thank you for the compliment on my avatar! If you'd like, I could make you your own version of it. If you'd like that, then just reply to this with color you want the background to be, and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I personally was only going to main Sonic (assuming Mewtwo wasn't coming back) until I kept getting flak from my hallmates here that essentially "You're not going to truly be a good Smash player unless you play multiple characters".

While I still disagree with that statement somewhat, playing other characters did introduce me to the likes of Kirby (current 2nd main), and overall made me better with Sonic after playing many diverse strategies with other characters.

*Was going to main :4greninja: as a secondary when the game came out, but that guy's difficulty with maximizing zoning made me eventually drop him >.< I still like to play him, but dang, I can't ever seem to get the hang of it.

**Also, since today is the day that Spring Break ends for me and I'm back on campus, might as well go see if any of my hallmates want to play Smash :D I may be out for most of the day now. Unless no one else has returned the hall yet ._.
It definitely helps to play other - if not all - characters just to see what you'll be up against when you fight them 1 vs 1. Even better to fight someone 1 vs 1 if your mirror their main.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I'm pretty sure i mentioned this months ago in the Mewtwo social thread, but i REEAALLY hope he still just stands with his arms crossed not cheering/clapping his hands for his opponent after a lost battle/ no contest screen.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Serious question guys? You don't suppose that Mewtwo will cause a lot of people to drop their current mains and prevent a large amount of characters from being used very often any longer, do you?
I mean, I know Mewtwo is popular and all...but it would break my heart if I stopped seeing other characters being played in Smash.
I main MegaMan at the moment and i love playing as him, but when Mewtwo comes out he's dropping to my secondary (Kirby is third) because i've waited for this ******* for WAY to long :D and i'm going to play and destroy with him till i can't play anymore.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Yep, this social really exploded since the direct. I've been keeping my eye on it since December and haven't seen growth like this ever. I'd imagine we'll get a lot more threads and a lot less posts here come the 15th. I'm already planning a Mewtwo kill percentage thread-have a spreadsheet all ready with each of his moves and each character to find out what his best kill options are and at what percentages those moves kill. I'll have it up either the morning of the fifteenth or the sixteenth, as time permits.

Range

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2079-7847-2811
I main MegaMan at the moment and i love playing as him, but when Mewtwo comes out he's dropping to my secondary (Kirby is third) because i've waited for this ******* for WAY to long :D and i'm going to play and destroy with him till i can't play anymore.
Your profile says you main Diddy Kong. Any confessions?

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
So kind of a random thought but does anyone here think that the Mewtwo you encounter in Pokemon X/Y is the same Mewtwo from Red/Blue?

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Considering that, canonically speaking, there's only one of each Legendary Pokémon, I should think so.
Not necessarily. There's been multiple Lugia's in the anime, plus they always say "It's a Moltres!" not "It's the Moltres"

But then again, games and anime = different canon

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
It definitely helps to play other - if not all - characters just to see what you'll be up against when you fight them 1 vs 1. Even better to fight someone 1 vs 1 if your mirror their main.
Unfortunately no one in my immediate friend group on hall mains Sonic Q_Q

Also, I can easily agree with this statement. It's great to gather more knowledge and intel of everything. However, I probably should've mentioned that I was told to play other characters mainly because I annoyed everyone with Sonic. xD

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Mewtwo will most likely be the most played character for awhile. It'll die down afterwards.

I feel guilty for thinking this way, but I want Mewtwo to be low tier haha. A personal opinion of mine. I like underdogs and I wanna be special, ya know. I feel bad for thinking this way but I can't help it. It kinda made me sad when everybody was complaininh about my boy Lucario in the first few months. I want Mewtwo to be low tier so the population of Mewtwos isn't so high. I know its greedy and selfish and a terrible thought, but I can't help it. Again, a personal opinion of mine... I want being a Mewtwo player to feel special. :p

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Considering that, canonically speaking, there's only one of each Legendary Pokémon, I should think so.
If we take the Arceus event from HG/SS into account then there's at least two of one of the Creation trio.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't know the game cannon down to a tee but I am fairly certain this is incorrect. In some of the games you are able to acquire certain legendary Pokemon that are used later on in Battle Towers or Battle Frontier. This would lead to believe that inside the game itself the cannon specifies that there are at the very least 2 of that Pokemon, the one you caught and the one that trainer uses.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If we take the Arceus event from HG/SS into account then there's at least two of one of the Creation trio.
I personally don't count that. It's an event, so it's a one-time thing, and since Arceus is the creator of everything (Except Mewtwo), he can technically make a duplicate of any Legendary. Plus, you can catch Mewtwo in Gen. 1 and then transfer him to Gen. 6 or another Pokémon game, and you'll be able to catch multiple Mewtwo. And, there's other event Legendaries, as well as event Pokémon with moves and abilities they can't normally learn or have. Events tend to break a lot of established rules in the Pokémon universe, so I think of them as non-canon in their own sort of way.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i like to think that Mewtwo was bothered by Red and Gold (Ethan) and fled to another location to avoid such human encounters

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
i like to think that Mewtwo was bothered by Red and Gold (Ethan) and fled to another location to avoid such human encounters
Lol. And look how that turned out for him in Kalos.

"Finally, some peace and ****ing quiet!"

*Calem/Serena enter* "Wow! Check out that thing! Imma catch it!!"

".............s***......"

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
Goddamnit, guys. You lot burn through pages like paper. I don't know if I'll be able to keep on reading and liking everyone's posts, at least until the post count goes back down to a reasonable level. Good grief...:p
As for Mewtwo's tier placement, I honestly couldn't care less about it, provided he's not completely OP or absolute trash. With the extremes out of the way, tier placement really isn't important to me. I'll main Mewtwo no matter how good or bad he is.
Being low tier in this game isn't as bad as being low tier in previous iterations of Smash, so I'm fine if he's low tier. And if Mewtwo's high tier, then let the tryhards and tier *****s run rampant. We Mewtwo mains will likely beat the tar out of them, anyway, so I couldn't care less about that. The only problem I'd have with Mewtwo being high tier is the possibility of people complaining to Sakurai about Mewtwo being OP, which could lead to serious, unnecessary nerfs to him. Now, if Mewtwo is actually OP, then I would welcome the nerfs with open arms, but, otherwise, I'd be pretty steamed. That said, if Mewtwo is low tier, buffs to him would be greatly appreciated. I guess you could say that, while tiers have no impact on my choice of mains, I don't mind having a decently balanced character. From a developer's point of view, I think balance should always come first.
Gun to my head, though, I'd want Mewtwo anywhere in the mid tier, with absolute-mid or high-mid tier being preferable.

@ CeruleanFlow CeruleanFlow - Thank you for the compliment on my avatar! If you'd like, I could make you your own version of it. If you'd like that, then just reply to this with color you want the background to be, and I'll see what I can do.
That would be awesome! If you could make the background a blue/cerulean that would be perfect! :) Thanks!

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
What several here have said: looking forward to playing as Mewtwo, but he'll have to mesh with my playstyle for me to main him. If Sonic played differently, I would play as him so much more.
So long as he's not complete trash (like Brawl Ganondorf tier) there's a 97.8% likelihood he'll be my main.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't know the game cannon down to a tee but I am fairly certain this is incorrect. In some of the games you are able to acquire certain legendary Pokemon that are used later on in Battle Towers or Battle Frontier. This would lead to believe that inside the game itself the cannon specifies that there are at the very least 2 of that Pokemon, the one you caught and the one that trainer uses.
Once again, I don't know if this should really be considered canon. The Battle Towers are often intended to have difficult trainers, and since Legendary Pokémon are often considered the most powerful of them Pokémon, it would make sense to give them to the trainers in order to provide an increased challenge. Kind of like how, in certain video games, you're able to unlock a specific rival later into the game, when there should obviously only be one of them. Then, you can pit the rival against themselves when you go back and replay the game. Now, that doesn't mean that, canonically speaking, there's multiple of your rival: It just means that's a small part of the game where there's a plot-hole that developers left in because it take some of the challenge or fun out of the game. Prince Vorkken from The Wonderful 101 and Jeanne from Bayonetta come to mind.
And, besides all of that, Legendary Pokémon's Pokédex entries often refer to them as being created in very specific, once-in-a-lifetime situations, which implies that there is only one of each. In addition, the way the Pokédex entries are written and worded also imply that there is only one of each Legendary. All of that added up just makes me think that there is only one of each Legendary Pokémon.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I personally don't count that. It's an event, so it's a one-time thing, and since Arceus is the creator of everything (Except Mewtwo), he can technically make a duplicate of any Legendary. Plus, you can catch Mewtwo in Gen. 1 and then transfer him to Gen. 6 or another Pokémon game, and you'll be able to catch multiple Mewtwo. And, there's other event Legendaries, as well as event Pokémon with moves and abilities they can't normally learn or have. Events tend to break a lot of established rules in the Pokémon universe, so I think of them as non-canon in their own sort of way.
I think some legendaries have multiple ones while others have only one. It's been hinted many times that it works like that. Like say there's only one Dialga and Palkia, but multiple Mews and Shaymins. I think it makes sense too considering legendaries like Landorus or Arceus are basically gods, but other legendaries like Shaymin or Mew are basically rarer Pokemon.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Damn I just realised the day Mewtwo is released I'm taking a day trip to Edinburgh, I leave at 8am BST... you think I'll get the email before then? I need my Mewtwo...

I'll be on a train, if I get the code before I leave I could play him for a while on the 3DS...

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Thats the best though anyone can have about any character.
Now a question:

I don't like MEWTWO, but yet Im going to try and see how is he on Sm4sh. Does anyone share this feeling?

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
When do you guys think we will actually get the codes for Mewtwo? Midnight?

Range

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2079-7847-2811

I may strongly detest your guts for hating Mewtwo. I hope playing as him converts you into a Mewtwo fan, or I will never forgive you.

Edit: Quotes are messing up.

Edit 2: Okay, I fixed the quote, but now my text links to CeruleanFlow's profile.

Edit 3: You know what, I'm not even going to try to fix this post anymore. Now Zeth444's text links to CeruleanFlow's profile.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Thats the best though anyone can have about any character.
Now a question:

I don't like MEWTWO, but yet Im going to try and see how is on Sm4sh. Does anyone share this feeling?
You shall regret for what you have done, fool. Not liking Mewtwo is basically a declaration of defiance against Mewtwo. Defying Mewtwo is a sin. Those who sin shall be banished and eradicated accordingly...

(just kidding, we welcome all sorts of people. any whom, mewtwo is rather slow and floaty but has good spacing tools and throws so if you like those i'm sure you'll be able to enjoy playing as mewtwo)

Last edited:
Top Bottom