• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Understood, but I would appreciate it if you could slip an "ette" in there when you refer to me specifically.
None of those things have the same weight on a character as the term Brave does for Erdrick.
Geno is a "brave" doll. That's a tiny part of his character.
"Brave" composes all of Erdrick's stats, his moves, what he can do, his most iconic niche.
I can absolutely throw an ette in there for you.
My point is that Brave doesn't belong solely to Erdrick, to state otherwise is folly. And if the codename does, in fact refer to erdrick, it is an extremely poor codename.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can absolutely throw an ette in there for you.
My point is that Brave doesn't belong solely to Erdrick, to state otherwise is folly. And if the codename does, in fact refer to erdrick, it is an extremely poor codename.
I think it's a great one actually. It's doing it's job perfectly.
See how so many people are doubting it and finding others to connect it to?
(and also, thanks for doing so!)

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I think it's a great one actually. It's doing it's job perfectly.
See how so many people are doubting it and finding others to connect it to?
(and also, thanks for doing so!)
The vast majority, however are content to assume erdrick, either because they feel it fits him best or because that's what they've been told. It's hard to truly say without knowing how our thought process would work if we didn't possess the information we do.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The vast majority, however are content to assume erdrick, either because they feel it fits him best or because that's what they've been told. It's hard to truly say without knowing how our thought process would work if we didn't possess the information we do.
IMO we're only assuming Erdrick because he's been a common name for months.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
IMO we're only assuming Erdrick because he's been a common name for months.
Exactly. And that's the issue, people aren't willing to accept other ideas as options at this point.

We also know those stats aren't meaningful because stats change all the time. This is why I can't see Erdrick as a lock, due to a lack of information, just a strong possibility.

At the very least, it's helping me think of potential fun mechanics for him.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I actually enjoy they Erdrick and DQ talk.
Sure it puts us supporters in a spotlight we never dreamt of being in. But that's actually pretty cool. I like meeting fellow fans, and newcomer fans.

What I do feel bad about is people just going into the series because of Erdrick of all characters and jumping right in on his game. Just knowing which game he's from already ruins one of gaming's biggest plot twists.
It comes close to the Melee spoiling that Sheik is Zelda (because I hadn't played it all the way through), but tenfold for me personally.
I felt the same way when Ridley was leaked. People were finally taking him seriously for the first time in a long time. But ultimately, when he was revealed, I realized it would have been a much bigger moment if I had no idea he was coming.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Exactly. And that's the issue, people aren't willing to accept other ideas as options at this point.

We also know those stats aren't meaningful because stats change all the time. This is why I can't see Erdrick as a lock, due to a lack of information, just a strong possibility.

At the very least, it's helping me think of potential fun mechanics for him.
Well no that's not quite what I was getting at; the name is just the cherry on top for me. The fact that so many prominent leakers have confirmed their own suspicions that it's Erdrick pre-Brave had me at 90%. Brave just took me to 100%.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well no that's not quite what I was getting at; the name is just the cherry on top for me. The fact that so many prominent leakers have confirmed their own suspicions that it's Erdrick pre-Brave had me at 90%. Brave just took me to 100%.
Didn't a lot of leakers cling to the Grinch Leak too?

Though more that we don't have enough evidence to call it for sure. Just enough for it to be a completely fair assessment. Leakers also can have false information/be led on/be leakbaited. A ton saying it doesn't make it real. It just means it should be considered as a real possibility.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Didn't a lot of leakers cling to the Grinch Leak too?

Though more that we don't have enough evidence to call it for sure. Just enough for it to be a completely fair assessment. Leakers also can have false information/be led on/be leakbaited. A ton saying it doesn't make it real. It just means it should be considered as a real possibility.
...huh? Uh, no, not really. The vast majority of leakers denied the Grinch Leak. The only notable leaker fighting for it was Papagenos, and he's not really a leaker.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Brave's stats just made me think it's Geno 10X more cause they don't fit erdrick at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...huh? Uh, no, not really. The vast majority of leakers denied the Grinch Leak. The only notable leaker fighting for it was Papagenos, and he's not really a leaker.
I said a lot, not "majority". I wasn't saying Papagenos was one. I thought many agreed with him.(of course, many can still be a minority).

I remembered then wrong. My bad.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not that it wouldn't sell, but square's already got a sort of crossover fighter in dissidia, and as for the inter-franchise crossover market, getting a piece of the smash pie is a much safer bet, considering it already sells like candy coated crack and has an established fanbase they can exploit. That's likely what they're banking on with dragon quest, should erdrick be the character they reveal.
It kind of bums me out that more companies don’t try to seriously ape Smash or Marvel vs. Capcom. Quality is a big part, but honestly with a good roster selection I’d buy **** like that just to satisfy my crossover needs. Plus games like PlayStation All-Stars are still very fun to play amongst friends.

I felt the same way when Ridley was leaked. People were finally taking him seriously for the first time in a long time. But ultimately, when he was revealed, I realized it would have been a much bigger moment if I had no idea he was coming.
I felt the same with Simon (wasn’t aware of Ridley beforehand), but with Erdrick I find that him being leaked beforehand is good for people to kind of mull over it and realize the importance of DQ and stuff. Whereas if he were to be revealed out of the blue, reception might be more meh. Still sucks for hardcore Erdrick fans for whom it would be the most hype thing, but ah well.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I said a lot, not "majority". I wasn't saying Papagenos was one. I thought many agreed with him.(of course, many can still be a minority).

I remembered then wrong. My bad.
Not even a lot did though. All good though.

I just think that when leakers like Tansut come out and explicitly say it's Erdrick then there's something going on beyond simple baiting.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly the 5chan leak seems kind of bunk to me. I doubt someone other than someone super high up would have that amount of info on reasons and release times. My rule of thumb is that if a leak ever talks about the reasons behind a character being in, that is a huge red flag.

That being said I feel Erdrick has a solid chance. Disregarding Vergeben, Xenother, and whoever, DQ has solid grounds to stand on. It is a massive series that is beloved in Japan. Honestly if it was even a tiny bit more popular overseas, I would say it would be a no brainer. But I feel pushing Erdrick as a lock is always a bad idea. Most of the time when Smash fans push something as a lock we get burned. I feel going hard on Erdrick as a lock is just not a wise idea.

Honestly out of the Squares, I can see Geno, Sora, Erdrick, or Sephiroth. I feel Erdrick makes the most sense right now. I also feel that 2B is a sleeper pick if this all is leakbait.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not even a lot did though. All good though.

I just think that when leakers like Tansut come out and explicitly say it's Erdrick then there's something going on beyond simple baiting.
I don't think it works that way. Tansut can get any information from any leaker. Even ones he finds trustworthy can have bad information. Leakbaiting isn't as simple as bad information, it's bad information that's created so it's believable enough that the fact it's fake is not easy to tell.

Tansut isn't immune to being leakbaited. No one is.

D

Deleted member

Brave's stats just made me think it's Geno 10X more cause they don't fit erdrick at all.
Stats that "fit" Erdrick are not concrete. Being a character from an old turn based game you hardly see them actually moving in the first place, leaving these kinds of stats when transferring them into an action game largely to interpretation.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think it works that way. Tansut can get any information from any leaker. Even ones he finds trustworthy can have bad information. Leakbaiting isn't as simple as bad information, it's bad information that's created so it's believable enough that the fact it's fake is not easy to tell.

Tansut isn't immune to being leakbaited. No one is.
All understandable.

IMO, even with this in mind, I still 100% believe it to be Erdrick.

Here's the kicker. I hope this comes around to bite me later.

Honestly the 5chan leak seems kind of bunk to me. I doubt someone other than someone super high up would have that amount of info on reasons and release times. My rule of thumb is that if a leak ever talks about the reasons behind a character being in, that is a huge red flag.

That being said I feel Erdrick has a solid chance. Disregarding Vergeben, Xenother, and whoever, DQ has solid grounds to stand on. It is a massive series that is beloved in Japan. Honestly if it was even a tiny bit more popular overseas, I would say it would be a no brainer. But I feel pushing Erdrick as a lock is always a bad idea. Most of the time when Smash fans push something as a lock we get burned. I feel going hard on Erdrick as a lock is just not a wise idea.

Honestly out of the Squares, I can see Geno, Sora, Erdrick, or Sephiroth. I feel Erdrick makes the most sense right now. I also feel that 2B is a sleeper pick if this all is leakbait.
5chan leak is a laugh and a half.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All understandable.

IMO, even with this in mind, I still 100% believe it to be Erdrick.

Here's the kicker. I hope this comes around to bite me later.
As long as I see armor-related mechanics or the Cut abilities, I alone would be happy. Since I feel those two would be very interesting and show off the unique things that Dragon Quest has~

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Can confirm the only notable people who attempted to back the Grinch leak were PapaGenos, and Mystical for like half a week. Absolutely no disrespect to PapaGenos but he cemented my position to ignore any statement that begins with 'my source at x says...', and Mystical got bullied hella hard for changing his opinion. The whole situation was very much a 'large portion of the community decides to ignore what virtually every leaker agrees upon' situation.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
5chan leak is a laugh and a half.
It may turn out to be fake (which I'm kind of torn in-between, with Vergeben's comment on the possibility of multiple DQ games coming and the latest Ninja Gaiden trademark), but if there's any credit I should give it, is that it's quite clever, as in, instead of putting a bunch of popular names around, it keeps an eye on leaks and what would make sense if Reggie's words were any big indication. Erdrick? SE rumours and just the fact that it's a big series. Ryu? Barely anyone asks for him. Steve? Might be predictable, but there are people hoping for him not to happen, and arguments on Microsoft's ownership, so it can work as a surprise in the same vein as Joker. Doomguy? People think western characters can't happen. Also, it takes the idea of all characters being promotional, and twists it in such a way that it looks better than the average fake rumour with Fire Emblem and Pokémon on it.
Honestly, I'm surprised it's not received with so much hostility. Maybe it might be because it's not making as much noise as the Grinch did, but it's still interesting.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'm surprised it's not received with so much hostility. Maybe it might be because it's not making as much noise as the Grinch did, but it's still interesting.
Honestly, NOTHING will make as much noise as the Grinch leak, ever. Only masterfully crafted videos with out of nowhere models could do such a thing at this point. Anything text or static visuals can't beat it and they are all laughable at this point so people don't take any of them seriously these days.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It may turn out to be fake (which I'm kind of torn in-between, with Vergeben's comment on the possibility of multiple DQ games coming and the latest Ninja Gaiden trademark), but if there's any credit I should give it, is that it's quite clever, as in, instead of putting a bunch of popular names around, it keeps an eye on leaks and what would make sense if Reggie's words were any big indication. Erdrick? SE rumours and just the fact that it's a big series. Ryu? Barely anyone asks for him. Steve? Might be predictable, but there are people hoping for him not to happen, and arguments on Microsoft's ownership, so it can work as a surprise in the same vein as Joker. Doomguy? People think western characters can't happen. Also, it takes the idea of all characters being promotional, and twists it in such a way that it looks better than the average fake rumour with Fire Emblem and Pokémon on it.
Nahhh
Ryu became the next "HE WOULD ROUND OUT THE THIRD PARTIES" this cycle, Doomguy is basically a meme due to his Smash popularity at this point.
Steve is indisputably a massively popular character but I will admit a lot of his inclusion in that leak probably came down to knowing other leaks

Super smart fake leak. Yet, a fake one all the same.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
That actually does make sense. All of a sudden the whole smash community knows Erdrick. That would still suck for Erdrick supporters from a certain standpoint. Like I said, a lot of the impact of Ridley was taken away for me (though it was still very exciting). It's disappointing to have the reveal of your most wanted spoiled.
Dragon Quest certainly would've been a surprise, so I too feel for DQ fans. Hopefully the trailer is mega hype for you guys anyway. I remember being kinda sad when my most wanted newcomer was in the Grinch leak becuase my surprise was ruined. Lol
Also, I see people saying it's good that the community got to know and come to terms with Erdrick, but I feel just seeing the trailer and some gameplay would've spared us all of the salt and Eddy hate. It's easier to realize they're uniqueness and accept them that way.
I actually enjoy they Erdrick and DQ talk.
Sure it puts us supporters in a spotlight we never dreamt of being in. But that's actually pretty cool. I like meeting fellow fans, and newcomer fans.

What I do feel bad about is people just going into the series because of Erdrick of all characters and jumping right in on his game. Just knowing which game he's from already ruins one of gaming's biggest plot twists.
It comes close to the Melee spoiling that Sheik is Zelda (because I hadn't played it all the way through), but tenfold for me personally.
Oh crap is it really that huge? I know I said I was gonna play DQ3 like 100 pages ago, but I haven't lol. Am I missing a lot by not playing the others first?

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest certainly would've been a surprise, so I too feel for DQ fans. Hopefully the trailer is mega hype for you guys anyway. I remember being kinda sad when my most wanted newcomer was in the Grinch leak becuase my surprise was ruined. Lol
Also, I see people saying it's good that the community got to know and come to terms with Erdrick, but I feel just seeing the trailer and some gameplay would've spared us all of the salt and Eddy hate. It's easier to realize they're uniqueness and accept them that way.

Oh crap is it really that huge? I know I said I was gonna play DQ3 like 100 pages ago, but I haven't lol. Am I missing a lot by not playing the others first?
DQ1 and 2 play up Erdrick as a great legendary hero, and DQ3's big twist is that *you* are Erdrick, since it's a title, not their actual name. It's basically common knowledge at this point but for NES games this was masterful storytelling.

D

Deleted member

If I gotta give something to that fake leak from 5ch is that it chose characters across various decades of game history, which is something I could see Sakurai doing.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Honestly, NOTHING will make as much noise as the Grinch leak, ever. Only masterfully crafted videos with out of nowhere models could do such a thing at this point. Anything text or static visuals can't beat it and they are all laughable at this point so people don't take any of them seriously these days.
I'd like to say so, but when GameXplain first talked about the Grinch, they went directly into debunking it, but here, they had fun speculating with what the potential four could offer to Smash. Entirely different approaches there.

Ryu became the next "HE WOULD ROUND OUT THE THIRD PARTIES" this cycle,
Dunno what you mean by "round out", but if you're talking about classic NES characters, I could say the same about Arthur, the guys from Double Dragon and even Nathan Spencer (from Bionic Commando).
Doomguy is basically a meme due to his Smash popularity at this point.
Being a meme=/=being actually expected.
Steve is indisputably a massively popular character but I will admit a lot of his inclusion in that leak probably came down to knowing other leaks
The point is not so much about him being popular, but rather that he'd fit as an "unexpected character" like Joker.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
DQ1 and 2 play up Erdrick as a great legendary hero, and DQ3's big twist is that *you* are Erdrick, since it's a title, not their actual name. It's basically common knowledge at this point but for NES games this was masterful storytelling.
Thanks. Thinking about it, that would've been pretty mind blowing to find out lol

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. Thinking about it, that would've been pretty mind blowing to find out lol
Honestly, the fun part is less the twist itself and more just being able to revisit (or... pre-visit?) DQI's setting as a second world map, complete with its overworld theme in remake versions. It's like going back to Kanto in Pokemon Gold and Silver, but a decade earlier.

That's why it's probably worth playing DQI first, even though it's a very primitive game by comparison. Even if you know what's coming, it all fits together really well.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'd like to say so, but when GameXplain first talked about the Grinch, they went directly into debunking it, but here, they had fun speculating with what the potential four could offer to Smash. Entirely different approaches there.

Dunno what you mean by "round out", but if you're talking about classic NES characters, I could say the same about Arthur, the guys from Double Dragon and even Nathan Spencer (from Bionic Commando).

Being a meme=/=being actually expected.

The point is not so much about him being popular, but rather that he'd fit as an "unexpected character" like Joker.
No, it's not what /I'm/ saying.

I think I misunderstood your post.

What I was saying was that, no, the leak did compile probably the biggest third parties out there right now and Doomguy and Ryu got on there due to popularity.

That is what my point was. That the leak really was just a recap of the big names floating around, whether it be due to popularity or, in Steve's case, leaks.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The whole "if gamexplain talks about it and believes it, it's gotta be true, if they doubt it, it's certainly false" stance is really starting to disgust me lol. I would like to remind everyone that GameXplain does not know everything, and not everything they predict comes true, nor everything they doubt turns out to be false.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The whole "if gamexplain talks about it and believes it, it's gotta be true, if they doubt it, it's certainly false" stance is really starting to disgust me lol. I would like to remind everyone that GameXplain does not know everything, and not everything they predict comes true, nor everything they doubt turns out to be false.
I'm not saying the leak is real because of that, I only brought them to illustrate the difference in approach from one to the other. It may turn out to be fake, but the way people have taken it is a lot more peaceful than three months ago.

StormC

Smash Hero
To this day, I'm still thankful K. Rool was not leaked for this reason.

You didn't have fair weather people talking him up to try to look smart. He was a complete blindside... except to K. Rool fans.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

You didn't have fair weather people talking him up to try to look smart. He was a complete blindside... except to K. Rool fans.
I fully expected K Rool or Dixie to be in the game since it was revealed. The most surprising thing to me was that he was revealed on 8.8. I totally expected him to be revealed later.

osby

Smash Obsessed

To be honest, I wasn't surprised to see him after Ridley, just a bit disappointed. He wasn't a character a wanted but he was far from being a complete blindside for me.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is this an hyperbole or is there really 'many prominent leakers' that have confirmed Erdrick?

Btw, i respect your opinion i'm just curious.
There have been plenty, Verge probably being the most popular and the original proponent of the "Second Square Enix rep."

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
We talk about "leakbait" a whole lot but has that actually ever happened in Smash history? I know Harada has done it with the recent Tekken but I honestly don't think Sakurai or Nintendo would go through with this. Harada enjoys actively trolling while Sakurai simply likes lightly playing with expectations. Like, Chorus Kids killed the Gematsu leak but they were planned really early on, and were not necessarily leak bait. People thought that Incineroar was leak bait when the Grinch mania was going around but we all know how that turned out.

I don't know, I think that the whole concept of "leak bait" is kind of an unfounded one. Would make things more interesting if they ever did it to be sure.

Is this an hyperbole or is there really 'many prominent leakers' that have confirmed Erdrick?

Btw, i respect your opinion i'm just curious.
Vergeben, Tansut (leaked Cloud in Smash 4), Jon Cartright (leaks a whole bunch of **** under the guise of "predictions" in gamexplain vids), Xenother and Sabi have all said that it's Erdrick.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We talk about "leakbait" a whole lot but has that actually ever happened in Smash history? I know Harada has done it with the recent Tekken but I honestly don't think Sakurai or Nintendo would go through with this. Harada enjoys actively trolling while Sakurai simply likes lightly playing with expectations. Like, Chorus Kids killed the Gematsu leak but they were planned really early on, and were not necessarily leak bait. People thought that Incineroar was leak bait when the Grinch mania was going around but we all know how that turned out.

I don't know, I think that the whole concept of "leak bait" is kind of an unfounded one. Would make things more interesting if they ever did it to be sure.
Not in Smash history, but it has happened in recent Nintendo history with The Game Awards. Refer to my second writing piece, "We Never Saw It Coming: The Game Awards as a Case Study for Doubt" and Nekoo Nekoo 's former statements about insiders and The Game Awards.
Nahhh
Ryu became the next "HE WOULD ROUND OUT THE THIRD PARTIES" this cycle, Doomguy is basically a meme due to his Smash popularity at this point.

Super smart fake leak. Yet, a fake one all the same.
No, it's not what /I'm/ saying.

I think I misunderstood your post.

What I was saying was that, no, the leak did compile probably the biggest third parties out there right now and Doomguy and Ryu got on there due to popularity.

That is what my point was. That the leak really was just a recap of the big names floating around, whether it be due to popularity or, in Steve's case, leaks.
I'll give you Steve, but Doom Guy and Ryu were hardly popular third parties before the 5chan "leak." Sure, they make sense, but they weren't talked about much before the "leak" hit it big.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The concept of leak bait only makes sense when it's not a name everyone knows about. Leakbait is supposed to be specific bits of information to see where info leaks from. If Verge has really heard Erdrick from multiple sources as he claims then that's not leak bait. Leakbait would be something Like Arthur Million on Verge's list, a character that very few people are told about.

Top Bottom