• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Careful, guys. All stats are subject to change between patches and several have already. Don't get too hung up on too many details outside of the really potentially significant ones. The Cloud/Ness thing may be one of those significant ones but the speed vs. height may be subject to change.

''Mr. Sakuari, Erdrick broke his spine on the way into the Smash Mansion and we're not sure what to do...should we still allow him to participate?"

Sakurai not wanting to be ableist: Yeah, sure why not?!
The sliding is because of his wheelchair! Of course!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The "Square wouldn't let Erdrick leak! Cloud never leaked!" thought of line is so faulty because Cloud was the ONE DLC from Smash 4 that did leak from inside sources.
Dude, you're trying too hard to poke holes. People said Incineroar was leakbait. Because he wasn't on the hoax banner.
People were saying that long before the Grinch leak lol

D

Deleted member

Mates, lets calm down a min.

I feel that brave is being revealed soon and this whole Erdrick "leakbait" aspect seems reaching at some points(especially if you believe in the part that a SE rep is coming).

Brave could very well be unrelated to the whole SE rep and the SE rep if any could come later.

Also the whole SE being good at leakbaits may not necessarily apply in this game considering the number of companies involved. Plus SE had a relatively known leak with the blufever leak regarding FFXIV recently.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Since the “Incineroar” was leakbait theory was false, that must mean that leakbait never happens in Smash and anyone who thinks it isn’t the obvious choice is only denying the inevitable.

Really guys... are you seriously trying to make this your argument against people who aren’t 100% on Erdrick.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The "Square wouldn't let Erdrick leak! Cloud never leaked!" thought of line is so faulty because Cloud was the ONE DLC from Smash 4 that did leak from inside sources.

I do wanna note the only leak of Cloud was a subtle hint immediately before the Direct by ONE poster

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I can't imagine Erdrick being both Ness sized and the second slowest character in the game.

Sidenote, you guys are doing the exact same thing #team real people got critisized for. Remember "something something photoshopped little Mac"? Just because something was suggested previously and was wrong does not mean that it will be wrong in every situation. You can't just assume no company will ever use leakbait because Incineroar wasn't leakbait.
Funny you say that. As a member of team real, I very distinctly recall the choice to ignore what every single legitimate and credible leaker was saying at the time in favor of our own personal belief on the situation. Which feels much more familiar right now.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I can't imagine Erdrick being both Ness sized and the second slowest character in the game.
We know speed can be changed (Piranha Plant) and Chibi Erdrick (arguably the most iconic design) would be roughly that size. Even the data miners don't know if that includes idle animations and such.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly, I'm still seeing just assumptions.

A new stat comes up that MAYBE tips it away from Erdrick and people already are going ''Oh well of course Sakurai is using chibi Erdrick!"

Like....no? Not of course. I'm still wondering why no one answered my question, because yes while Sakurai likes to consider classic looks? He also uses a look that people identify that character with and know.

Do people really think of that look for Erdrick when they think of him? Is that the look used in a ton of marketing? (Because I haven't seen a lot of marketing for that look been brought up.)

Because if not. Then it's not Erdrick. Erdrick will be wearing his most popular and recognizable look if it's him.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We know speed can be changed (Piranha Plant) and Chibi Erdrick (arguably the most iconic design) would be roughly that size. Even the data miners don't know if that includes idle animations and such.
Would he though?
I agree it's Erdrick but from looking at Erdrick's art he seems Link height. Can you show me Chibi Erdrick?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Every time you respond to my posts, your argument is just that I'm repeating the Grinch leak. Did you miss my post that I was #teamfake? Did you also miss when I explained that slime would actually be much worse than Erdrick to me? Like seriously. Dismissing my points as "Same as Grinch leak" is both obnoxious and non constructive.

D

Deleted member

The problem with throwing out “what if it’s leakbait’ is that some people reach the inevitable conclusion that absolutely everything is leak-bait when there isn’t any evidence. This is just me, but I maybe I don’t think Square is spreading Erdick so far that pretty much every leaker is confident in him and also is labelling their code names in a way that makes people think it’s Erdrick. Can’t imagine Square is super amazing at chess anyways.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Normie brain: AH THE SIZE MEAN IT'S GENO!
>Intellectual brain: It's still Erdrick no matter what
>600 IQ: It's KH1 Sora

:bobomb:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cloud was not the one that leaked. You're thinking Ryu.

Cloud had ONE person make a CRYPTIC comment right before his reveal.

And people only found that comment after they were completely shocked by his reveal.

None of the big crossover guests from Square have EVER leaked as heavily as Erdrick would have leaked if he truly is in.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Would Slime be Ness's size?

I'd imagine a slime would be Kirby's size, probably.

That's a big slime.

edit: unless we're talkin' 'bout Terraria or Minecraft, that is (though there are still smol slimes in those games).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

That's a big slime.
Don't fat shame Slime. He's just put on a lot of weight because he was under stress and pressure because everyone is talking about Erdrick and he started binge eating, then it got worse when his pal Jack Frost was over looked for Joker.

He's just put on a lot of weight. Don't talk about it. Just welcome him with open arms.

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping for original Erdrick. That design is great! And I know if that is the character, Sakurai will do him justice and make Toriyama proud.

D

Deleted member

Since the “Incineroar” was leakbait theory was false, that must mean that leakbait never happens in Smash and anyone who thinks it isn’t the obvious choice is only denying the inevitable.

Really guys... are you seriously trying to make this your argument against people who aren’t 100% on Erdrick.
I think either completely accepting it or dismissing it can be troublesome. Best thing atm is wait and see.

D

Deleted member

You all are fools ignoring the obvious truth. Kid Erdrick is actually an assist trophy and has been all along, he’s just labelled as a fighter as a 9 billion iq plot from Square to distract us while they quietly delay KH3 again.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Don't fat shame Slime. He's just put on a lot of weight because he was under stress and pressure because everyone is talking about Erdrick and he started binge eating, then it got worse when his pal Jack Frost was over looked for Joker.

He's just put on a lot of weight. Don't talk about it. Just welcome him with open arms.
Finally...a character I can relate to...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Funny you say that. As a member of team real, I very distinctly recall the choice to ignore what every single legitimate and credible leaker was saying at the time in favor of our own personal belief on the situation. Which feels much more familiar right now.
The difference was that it was dismissing insiders for an unofficial picture that portrays a better roster. I'm dismissing insiders for actual in game data that portrays a worse roster.
The problem with throwing out “what if it’s leakbait’ is that some people reach the inevitable conclusion that absolutely everything is leak-bait when there isn’t any evidence. This is just me, but I maybe I don’t think Square is spreading Erdick so far that pretty much every leaker is confident in him and also is labelling their code names in a way that makes people think it’s Erdrick. Can’t imagine Square is super amazing at chess anyways.
It's not 4D chess or something. Square has literally said they do it. And again, the codename is not meant to be a hint. The whole point is to not say who the character is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why are y’all harping about Erdrick’s size when it’s already been established that the size stat is not linear and therefore means nothing?

D

Deleted member

I do wanna note the only leak of Cloud was a subtle hint immediately before the Direct by ONE poster
It still shows that insiders had some sort of knowledge about him. Mewtwo and Lucas had nothing and neither did Corrin and Bayo. (Roy and Ryu leaks might have been stopped due to the datamine though).
Cloud was the only one who we know someone had knowledge about before his reveal.
Every time you respond to my posts, your argument is just that I'm repeating the Grinch leak. Did you miss my post that I was #teamfake? Did you also miss when I explained that slime would actually be much worse than Erdrick to me? Like seriously. Dismissing my points as "Same as Grinch leak" is both obnoxious and non constructive.
Everything's been pointing to Erdrick but all you can say is "what if it's leakbait?".
Every insider has said it's Erdrick and "Brave" points to him more than anyone else. Ignoring all of this is the same that people did during pre-release when every insider said the same about Incineroar. If you insist on repeating history then I'll say it again: this is the same **** as Incineroar all over again.
>Normie brain: AH THE SIZE MEAN IT'S GENO!
>Intellectual brain: It's still Erdrick no matter what
>600 IQ: It's KH1 Sora

:bobomb:
Infinite IQ Brain: smol crono
CRONO2.JPG

D

Deleted member

Why are y’all harping about Erdrick’s size when it’s already been established that the size stat is not linear and therefore means nothing?
Care to explain, seriously I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
The difference was that it was dismissing insiders for an unofficial picture that portrays a better roster. I'm dismissing insiders for actual in game data that portrays a worse roster.
In-game data that's already been shown to change. Additionally, acting like you know exactly how an all-new character would be portrayed and how they would play in Smash. And lastly, 'worse' roster? Sounds subjective to me.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I love how until now everyone was assuming it would be adult Erdrick, but now that the data contradicts that it's "well obviously it was going to be Kid Erdrick. Sakurai always goes classic".

D

Deleted member

It's not 4D chess or something. Square has literally said they do it. And again, the codename is not meant to be a hint. The whole point is to not say who the character is.
If this is leakbait, then props to Square for being so efficient with it. Impressive how they managed to fool pretty much every reliable leaker and convince them that it’s Erdrick while also making a list of characters just to spread doubt as to who it is before tricking people into thinking it’s Erdrick as a way to dismiss doubt. Very impressive show all around.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It shows ONE insider who everyone on ResetEra knew had ties to Square Enix knew Cloud was coming. This isn't even just that guy. This is that guy and about 90 others. It's a really really really really bad leak that has NEVER happened to Square before.

Why did this one character specifically leak so heavily? If he's in? We'll probably never know, but they left the faucet on full blast in this case if Erdrick is indeed truly in.

Untouch

Smash Master

That's a big slime.

edit: unless we're talkin' 'bout Terraria or Minecraft, that is (though there are still smol slimes in those games).
Slime in Mario Sports Mix is pretty large.
maxresdefault[1].jpg

I do think it's Erdrick though, probably the "Chibi" design.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Care to explain, seriously I have no idea what you are talking about.
It was said before, the size stat does not actually line up with the character’s size.

So Brave’s size stat (which is bound to change anyway) does not represent the character’s height in game, at least not in any way we can decipher.

D

Deleted member

It was said before, the size stat does not actually line up with the character’s size.

So Brave’s size stat (which is bound to change anyway) does not represent the character’s height in game, at least not in any way we can decipher.
Oh I see, thanks for the explanation.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It still shows that insiders had some sort of knowledge about him. Mewtwo and Lucas had nothing and neither did Corrin and Bayo. (Roy and Ryu leaks might have been stopped due to the datamine though).
Cloud was the only one who we know someone had knowledge about before his reveal.

Everything's been pointing to Erdrick but all you can say is "what if it's leakbait?".
Every insider has said it's Erdrick and "Brave" points to him more than anyone else. Ignoring all of this is the same that people did during pre-release when every insider said the same about Incineroar. If you insist on repeating history then I'll say it again: this is the same **** as Incineroar all over again.

Infinite IQ Brain: smol crono
View attachment 186124
I'm done arguing with you. You keep saying the same thing, and not even making a real argument.
In-game data that's already been shown to change. Additionally, acting like you know exactly how an all-new character would be portrayed and how they would play in Smash. And lastly, 'worse' roster? Sounds subjective to me.
Worse is absolutely subjective. I'm trying to say that I have no incentive to believe it's slime over Erdrick, because I'd like Erdrick better. What's this about in game stats changing? I wasn't aware of this.
If this is leakbait, then props to Square for being so efficient with it. Impressive how they managed to fool pretty much every reliable leaker and convince them that it’s Erdrick while also making a list of characters just to spread doubt as to who it is before tricking people into thinking it’s Erdrick as a way to dismiss doubt. Very impressive show all around.
It doesn't mean they made the whole list. It just means they used Erdrick as leakbait. And considering the situation you just described is the entire point of leakbait, that just means it worked. Again Square already admitted they do it.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I love how until now everyone was assuming it would be adult Erdrick, but now that the data contradicts that it's "well obviously it was going to be Kid Erdrick. Sakurai always goes classic".
I'm actually on Team
"Would be modern Erdrick in a whack Fighting pose that would bring his height down in the data"

I mean, I stand by my not-100% position, but I also don't expect every single sword Fighter to have the same idle pose as Marth.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't mean they made the whole list. It just means they used Erdrick as leakbait. And considering the situation you just described is the entire point of leakbait, that just means it worked. Again Squate already admitted they do it.
Okay but why Erdrick? Why out of all characters on the list would you use Erdrick as leakbait, when he’s pretty unknown in the west which is where most leaks happen?
My point is that Erdrikc being leskbait would be, IMO, far too elaborate a situation for it be really feasible. I don’t think leak bait on this scale is really all that likely my guy.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay but why Erdrick? Why out of all characters on the list would you use Erdrick as leakbait, when he’s pretty unknown in the west which is where most leaks happen?
My point is that Erdrikc being leskbait would be, IMO, far too elaborate a situation for it be really feasible. I don’t think leak bait on this scale is really all that likely my guy.
Does it really matter why they chose Erdrick? IMO this is semantics. And with how info spreads around, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Have bad info from just a couple credible people and soon everyone has it. The leaks all originate from the same company. It's not that hard to spread a rumor.

D

Deleted member

Does it really matter why they chose Erdrick? IMO this is semantics. And with how info spreads around, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Have bad info from just a couple credible people and soon everyone has it. The leaks all originate from the same company. It's not that hard to spread a rumor.
Square is immune to text leaks, Final Fantasy 14 is notable for having quite a few of its updates leaked by one guy. Yes Square spreads bad info, but inevitably whoever the real character is will get transferred down the drain-pipe to lower levels who leak what they’ve heard. The real character is still gonna be heard a lot by a lot of different people. With every leaker claiming they’ve heard Erdrick the most, it would make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This is precisely what i said a few pages ago. The point of leakbait is to catch leakers within the team. There is NO reason to risk a real name within a list of fakes to catch leakers. Just use fake ones. SE is known for dealing well with this kind of stuff for a reason.

Top Bottom