• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
2000px-Square_Enix_logo.svg.png

SPOILER WARNING: IF YOU DON'T WANT THE RISKS TO GET SPOILED ABOUT POTENTIAL LEAK LEAVE THE THREAD!

Now that the warning here, let's get serious.

I decided to make this thread, a general support and discussion place, about the potential Square-Enix characters and to discuss their inclusion, moveset potential, rumours and such.

Why make this thread?

It's simple, I believe it's the best way, especially after the current event and potential Leak happening for the future of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, a neutral place, where everyone could talk about the potential candidate, without having to get in the "turff" of someone else. (Looking at you Geno Thread.)

Wait? Leaks? What are you Talking about?

• Exactly. Vergeben, important leaker for Smash Bros Ultimate, the same who leaked Ridley, Simon, Snake, Ice Climbers, No cuts, Isabelle, Ken and Incineroar Claimed ever since August that a Square-Enix characters was on it's way. Ever since then, we got more information.
  • Hitagi, another persons with connection, also claim the existance of said Square-Enix characters and that People's job are on the line.
  • Square-Enix is extremely warry of leaks, alongside being very Stingy, as such, multiple names have been running around as leakbaits or real choices, 7 potential candidates for that single spot to be exacts that might have been going for DLC Talk, those characters are
    View attachment 181716
    [*]Sora from Kingdom Hearts
    [*]Geno from Super Mario RPG
    Crono from Chrono Trigger
    Erdrick / Luminary Heroes of Dragon Quest III/XI (It's not sure if Luminary is his own character, competing for a spot, or just the title given to Erdrick.)
    Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII
    Slime from Dragon Quest
  • Those names have been confirmed thanks to a leaked DM on GameFaqs and verified to be true. This list was floating around for a long while between insiders, leakers and such, even before the existence of said DM.
  • In that DM, Vergeben says that he only Heard of Slime ONCE, that Sora wasn't in, and to not take Geno too Seriously, he also mention how Crono, Luminary/Erdrick and Sephiroth are the one he heard the most
  • Fast forward later this year. xenother xenother someone with ties to vergeben and supposedly information claim that Neither Sora or Geno are in either.

Here comes More Informations From a residents Member.

• Resident Member of Smashboard PolarPanda PolarPanda comes in, with verified information by multiple respected members that he have a Sources at Nintendo of America who heard Talks and rumours about Geno being a possible DLC but nothing since November 2. Once again pointing to a Square-Enix characters.
  • Nintendo was VERY taken aback by the reception of Isaac as an AT and got hatemail and call, which really make them think about what AT truly means. But as of now, apparently no AT getting promoted for the Fighter Pass.
  • Second wave of DLC is up in the air, but it's ABSOLUTELY not a given, the team want to focus mostly on the first 5 DLC characters before making a choice.
  • Heard about the others SE names from others sources, APPARENTLY, most people with infoes seems to lend toward a Dragon Quest Characters.
  • Insiders seems to throw biases when talking about Characters chances, like "Not taking Geno seriously" or such making it hard to say who's really deconfirmed
  • Crono/DQ/Geno seems to be the most heard as of now.
  • Unverified, and not sure, but so far, if Namco DLC there is, only Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia and Llyod Irving from Tales of Symphonia have been heard competing for that spot. However do not take it as granted as this information is just floating in the air, unlike the Square-Enix characters who seems almost guaranteed.

But DLC Characters choices were done back in Novembers! No way we could have infoes on them!!

DLC negociation, ESPECIALLY for third parties takes months, even sometimes A YEAR. And if the rumour that Square-Enix are as stingy as they are, Nintendo probably went to make talks early for any Third Parties addition. Especially knowing that Vergeben made it public as far as August 2018, who knows for how long before he heard about it the talks were on going.

Why a thread for Multiple characters?! Why not talk about it in their characters support threads?!

Because to put it frankly. People are biased. But even more in a Support thread. If you asks if Sora have chances in the Sora thread? Well YES! HE DOES! MORE THAN ANYONE!
Geno? OF COURSE HE DOES! MORE THAN ANYONE!
For that matters, and debate about who it might be, it should be best to have it in a separate place, away from the safe-space, or bubble that are support threads. Without disturbing their peaceful talks, and without ruining their hopes or talk their characters down.

-Hopefully this thread break no rules, but if it does. I hope the Moderation Staff could look over it. Just for the time being, to not disturb any other Support thread of a single characters.
-If I ever made any missinformation, or missed something, please @me and I'll fix it.
-I'll make my best to Update this post with any infos I can find

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Nice job on the thread.

I try not to put too much stock in leaks, but Crono would be insanely cool.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Here to show some support for this beautiful bouncing baby thread!

D

Deleted member

Sora seems unlikely to me due to the fact he's owned by Disney, that combined with the fact that Illumination is making a Mario movie, collaborating with Disney probably would sour that deal to some extent.
Geno is an odd one. He's popular in the Smash fanbase but that's it, as far as I'm aware he's hardly popular outside of it. And keep in mind it's the suits choosing the characters, so overall mainstream popularity is probably something of a factor.
Sephiroth could happen since Cloud is already in, but allegedly he was almost cut from Ultimate so another FF character seems iffy.
Crono seems like a fair shot, his game is one of the most popular games on the SNES and the franchise has been somewhat dormant so he probably wouldn't be as much of a hassle.
As for the DQ characters, even putting aside my own personal biases for DQ, I think they would make the most sense. DQ isn't even owned by SE but by Armor Project if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think they're as stingy as SE about licensing. Plus, DQ is extremely popular and relevant in mainstream Japanese gaming culture. The biggest hurdle though is definetely the music, the series' composer is super protective of the music.

With all this said, any of these would be a fantastic choice. Though I would like to have a DQ character or Crono much more than the others, lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I really am curious as to if bias is actually what's making Geno seem to be a red herring.

Why is it that Geno is singled out like this along with Sora? He seems like the oddest choice for a red herring.

Sora seems unlikely to me due to the fact he's owned by Disney, that combined with the fact that Illumination is making a Mario movie, collaborating with Disney probably would sour that deal to some extent.
Geno is an odd one. He's popular in the Smash fanbase but that's it, as far as I'm aware he's hardly popular outside of it. And keep in mind it's the suits choosing the characters, so overall mainstream popularity is probably something of a factor.
Sephiroth could happen since Cloud is already in, but allegedly he was almost cut from Ultimate so another FF character seems iffy.
Crono seems like a fair shot, his game is one of the most popular games on the SNES and the franchise has been somewhat dormant so he probably wouldn't be as much of a hassle.
As for the DQ characters, even putting aside my own personal biases for DQ, I think they would make the most sense. DQ isn't even owned by SE but by Armor Project if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think they're as stingy as SE about licensing. Plus, DQ is extremely popular and relevant in mainstream Japanese gaming culture. The biggest hurdle though is definetely the music, the series' composer is super protective of the music.

With all this said, any of these would be a fantastic choice. Though I would like to have a DQ character or Crono much more than the others, lol
Nope. DQ is very much Squenix.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really am curious as to if bias is actually what's making Geno seem to be a red herring.

Why is it that Geno is singled out like this along with Sora? He seems like the oddest choice for a red herring.

Nope. DQ is very much Squenix.
It seems a little hard to find information on who owns DQ. What I do know is that Armor Project makes the games and that SE publishes them, but I can't find anything about the ownership rights. I just assumed that AP owned it since they developed it, but if this is the case then that would definetely muddy the waters for it. If SE is indeed completely on board for a DLC character though then I think that certainly opens the gates for all the characters much more widely, except Sora probably.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If you want to make your character secret, you hide it out by putting the most OBVIOUS choices, which here is Geno in the context of the smash community.
Honestly, until I hear more people saying that Sora and Geno are out,I'll put them on stand-by. Not out, not likely, but still in the runing, especially for Geno who have this NoA rumour.

Well, to start things off, how about starting with this discussion.

For all of the Sevens Candidate, give three reasons as of why they are likely, and three as of why you don't think they're not likely!?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It seems a little hard to find information on who owns DQ. What I do know is that Armor Project makes the games and that SE publishes them, but I can't find anything about the ownership rights. I just assumed that AP owned it since they developed it, but if this is the case then that would definetely muddy the waters for it. If SE is indeed completely on board for a DLC character though then I think that certainly opens the gates for all the characters much more widely, except Sora probably.
It's 100% Square Enix. AP helps with it but it's SE's series.
Also, they're NOT completely on board is the thing.
They've been very uncooperative according to insiders.

If you want to make your character secret, you hide it out by putting the most OBVIOUS choices, which here is Geno in the context of the smash community.
Honestly, until I hear more people saying that Sora and Geno are out,I'll put them on stand-by. Not out, not likely, but still in the runing, especially for Geno who have this NoA rumour.

For all of the Sevens Candidate, give three reasons as of why they are likely, and three as of why you don't think they're not likely!?
Except a ton of people still see him as unlikely. Wouldn't Sora be the actual red herring? Hell, even Slime since only one guy got him?

Also can't take the jinx risk by claiming he's likely at all lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Except a ton of people still see him as unlikely. Wouldn't Sora be the actual red herring? Hell, even Slime since only one guy got him?
The goal of a red herring, is to make people believe that said characters is the real choice though.
It lose the goal of red herring, if everyone can already guess and say "it's not him"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The goal of a red herring, is to make people believe that said characters is the real choice though.
It lose the goal of red herring, if everyone can already guess and say "it's not him"
Which isn't really working out, with how people have been casting aside Geno since the start.
Honestly I'm not sure it matters since we just can't know Squenix's POV here.

But still it's incredibly odd to me that Geno specifically is in this situation.

D

Deleted member

It's 100% Square Enix. AP helps with it but it's SE's series.
Also, they're NOT completely on board is the thing.
They've been very uncooperative according to insiders.

Also can't take the jinx risk by claiming he's likely at all lol
Yeah, I think that's about as much as we could expect from SE
I can see them trying to strongarm their way into getting in who they see as the most potentially profitable. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we got some lame choice like Lightning instead of everyone else mentioned.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think that's about as much as we could expect from SE
I can see them trying to strongarm their way into getting in who they see as the most potentially profitable. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we got some lame choice like Lightning instead of everyone else mentioned.
Except the most profitable ones require the most work, and more companies who have to agree, and more parties who have to agree.
That's the issue here.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I personally think Crono, Geno, and Sephiroth are the more likely ones. Sora and DQ while cool choices, just have a lot of things they'd have to fight through to get them in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Reported for not believing in Crono.
I'll believe when I say Crono ingame. Unlike most fanbases here, I'm not one to convince myself my most wanted is definitely in.

D

Deleted member

I'll believe when I say Crono ingame. Unlike most fanbases here, I'm not one to convince myself my most wanted is definitely in.
Yeah... I really feel like people are too easy to set themselves up for disappointment. Of course speculation is always going to be a thing but ultimately you can never raise your expectations very high with Smash Bros. unless you want to be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's the way to think and why I believe every characters here have a reasons to be seriously discussed.
No one is a shoe-in because they're all worthy of smash.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
That's the way to think and why I believe every characters here have a reasons to be seriously discussed.
No one is a shoe-in because they're all worthy of smash.
True, and there's no way they're 'clearly in game and i can prove it'.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Hello fellow Square fans, Noctis for Smash Bros Ultimate! Just kidding, now lets talk logic. If we are going by who Square and Nintendo could profit off of the most, it would be the following 2 Sora or a DQ character. Now taking this into consideration and the fact we know Square might give false information out. So its a real possibility that even insiders are confused as to what is going on, I still stand on Sora or a DQ character will be chosen. I know they both have a lot of against them in terms of dealing with multiple companies. However let us not forget Square has done this before, they did this with 2B. To get 2B in Soul Calibur 6, Bandai Namco had to deal with both Square and Platinum Games. This is three companies instead of only two. So the whole argument that Square will go with the easiest fruit is thrown out the window. Also Disney did partner with Sega and put Ralph in Sega & All Stars racing. We have also seen a Ralph cameo in Fortnite recently and there is speculation this may lead to more than just a cameo. Also its highly suspicious Nintendo is making a movie with both Warner Brothers and Universal, but not Disney the biggest media company. I think there may be some sort of deal taking place that they are keeping secret for now. So the fact that Disney will not cooperate is also thrown out the window. We have to keep in mind Square loves cross promotion, so these two make the most sense. The wildcard in this the fact Nintendo and not Sakurai is involved in most of the dealings. Its hard to say at this point which way the pendulum will swing.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord

+SE instict of shilling FF7 at every opportunity
+Big JRPG Villain people know
+he comes from ff7 of course it will sell
-More FF content? yeah right, those rights are more scattered around than the dragon balls
-Sakurai does believe that some franchises can get saturated with fighters, Sephiroth would be doubling down on the same third party game
-stic 2 big Would SE push for Sephiroth when there are other franchises of them also need that push in the limelight? dq

+Popularity
+Disney would probaly push him themselves to bring even more money
+He is a disney character
- He is a disney character, a pain to get
-Disney would like some part of that revenue
-SE would be shooting themselves in the foot by doing those two things. People dont like to do shoot themselves in the foot

+From the franchise that popularized console RPGs
+Making DQ more popular
+Is the mascot of the franchise
- Still is a mook
- The analogy of rights being scattered like dragon balls is even more relevant
- DQ working in the west, good jk bro

+Gotta push that DQ in the west
+Heavily referenced character in franchise
- Who?
- See Slime's 2-
- See Slime's 3-

+From the brand new game for a brand new push
- (couldnt think of one)
- See Slime's 2-
- See Slime's 3-

+From the first Nintendo X Square crossover
+They dont need to go on a crusade for his rights
+Sakurai has shown interest on him
- who?
- why?
- why geno when you can use *any other more relevant SE character*

+From one of the most iconics SNES RPGs
+Relevancy to Nintendo
+He is popular
- He is dead like his franchise
- Why Crono when you can use *any other more relevant SE character*
- Gonna bring the franchise from the dead for what? Beat its corpse one more time? For old time's sake?

cant lose an argument if I'm not here
im going to sleep and hope the thread hasnt gone to **** by morning here

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm preparing myself for Erdrick to be the square rep. Best case for me is Geno, but Sephiroth would be just about as awesome. I'm not even considering slime because just the thought makes my soul die a little.

D

Deleted member

Hello fellow Square fans, Noctis for Smash Bros Ultimate! Just kidding, now lets talk logic. If we are going by who Square and Nintendo could profit off of the most, it would be the following 2 Sora or a DQ character. Now taking this into consideration and the fact we know Square might give false information out. So its a real possibility that even insiders are confused as to what is going on, I still stand on Sora or a DQ character will be chosen. I know they both have a lot of against them in terms of dealing with multiple companies. However let us not forget Square has done this before, they did this with 2B. To get 2B in Soul Calibur 6, Bandai Namco had to deal with both Square and Platinum Games. This is three companies instead of only two. So the whole argument that Square will go with the easiest fruit is thrown out the window. Also Disney did partner with Sega and put Ralph in Sega & All Stars racing. We have also seen a Ralph cameo in Fortnite recently and there is speculation this may lead to more than just a cameo. Also its highly suspicious Nintendo is not making a movie with both Warner Brothers and Universal, but not Disney the biggest media company. I think there may be some sort of deal taking place that they are keeping secret for now. So the fact that Disney will not cooperate is also thrown out the door. We have to keep in mind Square loves cross promotion, so these two make the most sense. The wildcard in this the fact Nintendo and not Sakurai is involved in most of the dealings. Its hard to say at this point which way the pendulum will swing.
Man you almost got me with that first sentence.
Aside that though like I mentioned before I think the biggest issue with collaborating with Disney is that Nintendo is already collaborating on separate projects with two of Disney's direct competitors; Illumination for a Mario movie and Universal for Nintendo theme park related stuff. I think if that did happen that could potentially be an obstacle, but at the same time they're all completely separate projects in completely separate industries so perhaps it couldn't be that far out either.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm preparing myself for Erdrick to be the square rep. Best case for me is Geno, but Sephiroth would be just about as awesome. I'm not even considering slime because just the thought makes my soul die a little.
I just....

Erdrick fans, I respect ya, but just...it makes me a bit of a sad face.

D

Deleted member

+SE instict of shilling FF7 at every opportunity
+Big JRPG Villain people know
+he comes from ff7 of course it will sell
-More FF content? yeah right, those rights are more scattered around than the dragon balls
-Sakurai does believe that some franchises can get saturated with fighters, Sephiroth would be doubling down on the same third party game
-stic 2 big Would SE push for Sephiroth when there are other franchises of them also need that push in the limelight? dq

+Popularity
+Disney would probaly push him themselves to bring even more money
-Disney would like some part of that revenue
-SE would be shooting themselves in the foot by doing those two things. People dont like to do shoot themselves in the foot

+Making DQ more popular
+Is the mascot of the franchise
- Still is a mook
- The analogy of rights being scattered like dragon balls is even more relevant
- DQ working in the west, good jk bro

+Heavily referenced character in franchise
- Who?
- See Slime's 2-
- See Slime's 3-

+From the brand new game for a brand new push
- (couldnt think of one)
- See Slime's 2-
- See Slime's 3-

+From the first Nintendo X Square crossover
+They dont need to go on a crusade for his rights
+Sakurai has shown interest on him
- who?
- why?
- why geno when you can use *any other more relevant SE character*

+From one of the most iconics SNES RPGs
+Relevancy to Nintendo
+He is popular
- He is dead like his franchise
- Why Crono when you can use *any other more relevant SE character*
- Gonna bring the franchise from the dead for what? Beat its corpse one more time? For old time's sake?

cant lose an argument if I'm not here
im going to sleep and hope the thread hasnt gone to **** by morning here
That's definetely a good summary of everything. Pushing DQ in the west is an angle that I don't think many people are seeing, since SE tried really hard to promote XI in the west, so having a Smash character would be amazing promotion.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The sad reality.
You can be famous as ****, hanging out with the mouse and Cloud, kicking Sephiroth and Squall's ass.

You're doomed to be with the Mouse.

D

Deleted member

I just....

Erdrick fans, I respect ya, but just...it makes me a bit of a sad face.
Well that's just rude.... kidding, lol. I respect your opinion, but at the same time you have to respect Dragon Quest for the fact that it basically invented the JRPG genre.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well that's just rude.... kidding, lol. I respect your opinion, but at the same time you have to respect Dragon Quest for the fact that it basically invented the JRPG genre.
And I said I respect Erdrick fans. By extension, I respect DQ for what it's done.
Doesn't mean I want it anywhere near Smash. That's just my selfish opinion though.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Man you almost got me with that first sentence.
Aside that though like I mentioned before I think the biggest issue with collaborating with Disney is that Nintendo is already collaborating on separate projects with two of Disney's direct competitors; Illumination for a Mario movie and Universal for Nintendo theme park related stuff. I think if that did happen that could potentially be an obstacle, but at the same time they're all completely separate projects in completely separate industries so perhaps it couldn't be that far out either.
Ah, but you forget Warner Brothers is just as much a competitor of Universal as Disney is. And yet Detective Pikachu is being made by them.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why is that?
To start off, the composer's a very bad person.
And second I just have no interest in DQ whatsoever. I find Erdrick boring. I just...don't really care about the series.

All that, and I want Geno more than anyone else so lol.

If you want a DQ rep, you're totally entitled to how you feel, and there's a great shot you'll get one, this is just me.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If you ask me, I think the ones heard most frequently are the bait.

I am going to commit my choice prediction of Sora. I made an analysis on the character months ago if anyone is interested, though information might be a bit outdated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...mensely_indepth_analysis_on_soras_chances_of/

I just feel Sora is THE choice Square, Sakurai, and Nintendo will go for. I just have a strong gut feeling.

Last edited:

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
If you ask me, I think the ones heard most frequently are the bait.

I am going to commit my choice prediction of Sora. I made an analysis on the character months ago if anyone is interested, though information might be a bit outdated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...mensely_indepth_analysis_on_soras_chances_of/

I just feel Sora is THE choice Square, Sakurai, and Nintendo will go for. I just have a strong gut feeling.
Especially with potential evidence in KH3 and the tweet hashimoto made, I have this same feeling, I really do. There's a reason why we were surprised by Cloud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom