• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still find this place wholly unnecessary tbh; and think ya'll just want a place to bash Geno and not get called out for it.
>Make thread with unbiased information to let people talk
>No one bash Geno, some even say he's likely
>People complain that we use the Geno thread to talk S-E because we go against Geno
>Now you complain we have a thread to talk about SE because we go against Geno

****ing backwards logic I swear to God.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
They both are primarily a mix of swords and magic. Not in the same way as Robin with way more emphasis on magic, but I could see specials being magic and the rest being regular swordfighting.

Erdrick can equip many different weapon types aside from swords, including axes, whips, and boomerangs, which I can certainly see being incorporated into their hypothetical moveset.

The Luminary (Luminary is a title btw, not a name like a lot of people seem to think) can only equip one handed and two handed swords, but their in-game set of swordplay abilities, plus his fair list of spells and the fact that he can dual wield one handed swords can also make for a fun and unique moveset.
Okay but like..... you can get all this from Robin. And Lloyd is BUILT around duel wielding.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Calling @Calane. He's the guy to go to for this sort of stuff.

Also bless you Nekoo Nekoo for making this thread. Now that there's a specific place to discuss this stuff it'll be easier to follow.

Anyways, I got an idea after looking at Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman 's post about how four of the characters are Toriyama and how that could be to draw eyes from Sora and Geno.

What if the source that approached Polar and Co. about Sephiroth and Geno in negotiations is someone from Square Enix deliberately spreading misinformation? How else would they have a Linkedin page of a specific Square Enix employee and how they would know something like this. or how were they able to find Polar's source and provide a story that fills in the blanks?

We already know that Square Enix is throwing around misinformation left and right, so I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here.
Agree and remember what happened to the last time everyone believed something with a Linkedin which claimed to help a certain leak. Lets just say Christmas wasn't the only thing stolen by this Green fellow.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I still find this place wholly unnecessary tbh; and think ya'll just want a place to bash Geno and not get called out for it.
But we just established that saying "I don't believe Geno is likely due to x, y, and z reasons" isn't Geno bashing in the general thread when you brought it up.

Having a differing opinion doesn't mean you're bashing on the character.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
It is necessary many Geno fans were not happy with topics de railing off of Geno in the Geno Thread. Thats a very unfair assumption you are making of the people here

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
But we just established that saying "I don't believe Geno is likely due to x, y, and z reasons" isn't Geno bashing in the general thread when you brought it up.

Having a differing opinion doesn't mean you're bashing on the character.
Did we? I mean you certainly agreed on that with your friends.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Did we? I mean you certainly agreed on that with your friends.
Dude.

Luigi The President Luigi The President is one of the biggest Geno fans here, and even posts on the Geno thread same as you. She and many others agreed that our discussion wasn't Geno bashing. These were people that yes, I am friends with, but also people that I'm not friends with and barely even know.

I don't understand why you believe that myself and others are out to get you and other Geno fans. I understand that you believe "Geno is the underdog," but that doesn't mean that everyone is against you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay but like..... you can get all this from Robin. And Lloyd is BUILT around duel wielding.
Did you barely read the post? I made plenty of distinctions from Robin very clear, like the fact that the Luminary has his own full set of swordfighting abilities in DQ11, and that Erdrick can use many different types of weapons in DQ3.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I haven't seen anyone bash Geno in this thread ONCE.

If anything more so there's been talk that the fact there's been a very clear ''It's not him or Sora" seems weird when in relation to the fact the list shows a weird intent to seem to want to say ''It's Dragon Quest btw."

If anything that's positive talk for Geno. Lol.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
All Geno fans are welcome to come and speculate in this thread, its not meant for Geno bashing. EarlTamm EarlTamm , AugustusB AugustusB Luigi The President Luigi The President and others know I have tried my best to see both sides of the argument when it comes to Geno and even agree he may be our 2nd rep. From what I have seen I have not seen Geno bashing, just people speculating that other characters may be in the running.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
And you're way too sensitive to your character. Mature up and face the possibility of him not being in. We all are if our characters share the same fate and we aren't afraid of dealing with this. If Geno has less chances because the majority of insiders insist in the same stance Vergeben had, too bad m8. Doesn't mean it will happen, but this isn't bashing. It's the pursuit of truth. Nobody is chasing Geno's fanbase or the character itself. We're all chill here. ^^

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You guy's are no more in pursuit of the truth than I am. You all have bias; even if they are in your blindspots. Don't act like you're above me.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
If SE is that good avoiding leaks, there's always the chance it's nobody from the 7 candidates, what do you guys think about that?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've been in the Smash fandom since 1999. I know how much people want Geno. I've seen the earliest Geno supporters come out of the woodwork. I'd be a fool to bash the character or his fans and I've stated many times that I'm someone who is cool with anyone selected. All that's happening in this thread is people trying to parse all the info and draw some conclusions based on a list of names that may not even be the truth. If I'm real, one of my favorite scenarios is seeing Geno and Sephiroth both confirmed so I can have a personal bias pick and a classic character pick in one. But I digress.

Every character on that list has a chance. That's what makes this so fascinating.

Slime seems to be the least likely. I wouldn't mind Rocket Slime or a Slime inspired by one of the character slimes, but I also just don't see them pulling the generic enemy card twice, even with a mascot. Shame, because I love Slimes even though I haven't played much DQ. They're adorable and I know there are a ton of variants each with fun moves.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
You guy's are no more in pursuit of the truth than I am. You all have bias; even if they are in your blindspots. Don't act like you're above me.
Of course we have biases dude, Isn't that one of the main reasons why we speculate in the first place?

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've been in the Smash fandom since 1999. I know how much people want Geno. I've seen the earliest Geno supporters come out of the woodwork. I'd be a fool to bash the character or his fans and I've stated many times that I'm someone who is cool with anyone selected. All that's happening in this thread is people trying to parse all the info and draw some conclusions based on a list of names that may not even be the truth. If I'm real, one of my favorite scenarios is seeing Geno and Sephiroth both confirmed so I can have a personal bias pick and a classic character pick in one. But I digress.

Every character on that list has a chance. That's what makes this so fascinating.

Slime seems to be the least likely. I wouldn't mind Rocket Slime or a Slime inspired by one of the character slimes, but I also just don't see them pulling the generic enemy card twice, even with a mascot. Shame, because I love Slimes even though I haven't played much DQ. They're adorable and I know there are a ton of variants each with fun moves.
Dragon Quest really only has a chance in my worst nightmares; which is slowly what the roster is veering into; from the looks of things. If they are willing to jump through THAT many legal hoops to get a character not many people wanted..... then I'm at a loss for word's, frankly

D

Deleted member

If SE is that good avoiding leaks, there's always the chance it's nobody from the 7 candidates, what do you guys think about that?
It's a possibility for sure. We all know how stingy they are, or they could just be pushing for someone different entirely like Neku or (it pains me to type this) Lightning

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I wish I was biased like that.
If I was, I would still be screaming that Sora is in as I was one for the main spear of the Sora support in the General thread

Well guess what. I don't think Sora will happens, or at least. He is not likely.

You can love a character without being biased for it.

I love Sora.
I love Geno.
I ****ing love Crono.

Doesn't mean I act highly and think anyone talking badly about these Characters are peasant I need to burn.

Heck, I'm usually the first one to criticize them and understand their difficulties.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest really only has a chance in my worst nightmares; which is slowly what the roster is veering into; from the looks of things. If they are willing to jump through THAT many legal hoops to get a character not many people wanted..... then I'm at a loss for word's, frankly
In Japan, Dragon Quest has absolutely massive selling power. At its peak of cultural relevancy it's on the same level of Pac-Man for them.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
In Japan, Dragon Quest has absolutely massive selling power. At its peak of cultural relevancy it's on the same level of Pac-Man for them.
Yes; but in Smash, next to Geno, there's no comparison. Even in fan polls, have you ever seen a Dragon Quest Character? I haven't even seen one in Japanese Polls.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
So what that we have our prefferences? We won't be afraid of facing the possibility of them being confirmed if we have actual evidence and insiders telling us info that we may not like. I'm rooting for Sephiroth, and I know he's not the first pick that they would go with. I've seen people disregard him and say how he isn't likely. Am I crying foul and saying you're all biased? No. Everyone is trying to come up with a solution with the info they have in hand. Some may have different info, but you can't judge someone bc they think your character isn't likely. The world isn't the way we want and we should get used to people not agreeing with our opinions. And demanding everyone to stay in line bc "muh positive environment" or "muh safe space" isn't a healthy way to drive forward any honest discussion. We want the truth whether it deconfirms our prefferences or not.

Yes; but in Smash, next to Geno, there's no comparison. Even in fan polls, have you ever seen a Dragon Quest Character? I haven't even seen one in Japanese Polls.
Lol
I literally posted a Japanese poll with more votes taken which showed the Top 20 most voted for Ultimate. Slime was up there dude. Erdrick was one spot above Sephiroth. You had 2 DQ characters in Top 15

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have to keep in mind that the DLC isnt being chosen by Sakurai but by the higher-ups at Nintendo. Popularity within the Smash fanbase is likely a much smaller factor in decision making due to the fact that most Smash fans will buy all the DLC anyways, which like I said before makes me assume they will try to target the less dedicated Smash players as much as possible.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Then it's legitimately Lara Croft.

None of the other choices would sell as well as anyone on the actual list that isn't Luminary.

Braverly is still too cult, as is the World Ends With You, and Octopath Traveler is far too new.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Something Something.

There something more than "the smash bubble" if we follow it then Ryu wouldn't be in, Cloud wouldn't be in, Simon wouldn't be in, Bayonetta wouldn't be in etc...etc...

The surprise effect while making sure a character have wide appeal count. That's what make Guest star in smash so great. They are all a surprise.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
...Ummmm Hi? I like Square games. Final Fantasy VII was my first Final Fantasy and I like all the others (That even means VIII, I like that one to).

So what is the debate going gang?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You have to keep in mind that the DLC isnt being chosen by Sakurai but by the higher-ups at Nintendo. Popularity within the Smash fanbase is likely a much smaller factor in decision making due to the fact that most Smash fans will buy all the DLC anyways, which like I said before makes me assume they will try to target the less dedicated Smash players as much as possible.
Are you trying to say Nintendo wouldn't look at the ballot?

D

Deleted member

Something Something.

There something more than "the smash bubble" if we follow it then Ryu wouldn't be in, Cloud wouldn't be in, Simon wouldn't be in, Bayonetta wouldn't be in etc...etc...

The surprise effect while making sure a character have wide appeal count. That's what make Guest star in smash so great. They are all a surprise.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Hardly anyone clamored for Ryu but we still got him, and deservedly so.
A characters status in the wider gaming sphere is more important than their status to Smash fans.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Something Something.

I would hardly call it good. Especially if it's motivated by driving up Square's profits without showing love to a near 10 year fanbase.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Fan polls are only representative of a small portion of the fanbase, however. Even Japanese fan polls are only a small fraction of dedicated fans.

If BKupa's King K. Rool source is to be believed then Simon performed well in the ballot. However, in fan polls Simon barely had any presence, especially behind Snake. Fan Polls are evidence, yes, but you're underestimating the cultural phenomenon that is Dragon Quest and how much power the silent, casual fanbase has. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Japanese people put down Erdrick or another DQ character thinking it'd be cool to see them in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not saying that at all. But you gotta see it through a business perspective, I could totally see a fan-pleaser character getting in from the ballot but I think I've already made my point.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, you have a really solid point here, especially since I doubt bayonetta was very high on the ballot, however remember that we don't even know what the ballot looks like. We really don't know for sure who performed well.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Fan polls are only representative of a small portion of the fanbase, however. Even Japanese fan polls are only a small fraction of dedicated fans.

If BKupa's King K. Rool source is to be believed then Simon performed well in the ballot. However, in fan polls Simon barely had any presence, especially behind Snake. Fan Polls are hard evidence, yes, but you're underestimating the cultural phenomenon that is Dragon Quest and how much power the silent, casual fanbase has. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Japanese people put down Erdrick or another DQ character thinking it'd be cool to see them in.
Oooh? That is kind of exciting to hear! Someone has an idea of the ballot results?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Here's a question. If square played us all, and every character on the list is leak bait, then who do you think the real square rep is?

Edit: Damn. Looks like I wasn't the first to say that.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
...Ummmm Hi? I like Square games. Final Fantasy VII was my first Final Fantasy and I like all the others (That even means VIII, I like that one to).

So what is the debate going gang?
I just noticed you changed your profile pic lol, it looks good buddy. Now I really need to find or make a Noctis and Geno drinking tea pic.

And you know the usual stuff, people saying this, people saying that. People getting angry, people saying thats not what I said, its the circle of life I suppose :4pacman:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I too have pondered on this possiblity, but the only other character that's not on that list that could ignite some hype would be Noctis or Lara. I doubt were getting either honestly. Neko could be possible, TWEWY is on the Switch, and could get a sequel if it did well enough (he's not requested enough compared to others), and I know people bring up Octopath, but the thing is, that's way too new and recent for a third party character. Most of the third parties currently has been around for 2 to 3 generations. The only exception for a third party that's new and recent has been Bayonetta, and even then she would be around for almost a decade now and is relevant.

The current seven are the ones people bring up the most when talking about a Square Enix character. Three of them being big names which are DQ, Sora and Sephiroth, while the others have their own niche fanbases that only matters within the community. I still say Sephiroth is somewhat stretching it because, no one wasn't really advocating for him that much up until the list came out.

D

Deleted member

Here's a question. If square played us all, and every character on the list is leak bait, then who do you think the real square rep is?
Either Neku or an Octopath character.
The World Ends with You from my understanding is decently popular, plus with the recent Switch remaster would be a nice tie-in.
Octopath was pushed hard by Nintendo and sold very well even with the lukewarm reviews.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Let's be honest. Every console war, if you could call it that, has been defined by who dominates the casual market.
The gamers try to make it about themselves, but it never was. The console with the larger mass appeal gets to sell the most, be it by their software or hardware.
And there are true fans out there who just never had the time nor interest to participate in boards or what you would call social bubbles of a game's community. Heck, I love Nintendo. I played Smash for 20 years. I've lived the SNES generation. And only now I made an account here. You gotta remember also that, sadly, fan polls not only represent a very small fraction of the fanbase, but are also extremely dynamic due to how the mainstream opinion changes. Yes, I'm downright saying that many polls tend to certain characters because of something being cool for the moment. You can see drastic changes in some lists from Melee till Ultimate. Using these as the only reference isn't the best idea.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oooh? That is kind of exciting to hear! Someone has an idea of the ballot results?
All they said was that Simon performed better in the Ballot than we thought, and that K. Rool's ballot popularity is what got Nintendo to get their head out of their asses.

Top Bottom