• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm gonna be a bit disappointed when it turns out to be a Dragon quest rep.

Out of all the possible SE options Dragon quest is the series I care about the least.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna be a bit disappointed when it turns out to be a Dragon quest rep.

Out of all the possible SE options Dragon quest is the series I care about the least.
I've seen this sentiment shared a lot in the smash community and it's kind of saddening to me.
They certainly aren't games for everyone, but for what they are they really are excellent games. Of course though everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm pretty on board with Erdrick because I love their neon designs and I really want an adorable Slime assist trophy...

But my pick from the list would be Crono because that's just insane. Geno would be great because I've seen Geno supporters for almost two decades campaign for the guy. DQ deserves it from name value and because it's an iconic series (though I admit the Luminary wouldn't be that exciting - he's no Erdrick or Eight).

Sephiroth, though...

I love Final Fantasy 7. He's such an unusual choice I never considered and yet would absolutely love. He's an incredibly iconic villain and it means we would get One Winged Angel in Smash which would be awesome. Everyone on this list is such an insane possible "never ever" choice that I'm down with them all. Crono tops my list with Sephiroth underneath but Geno hovers over to the side and I'm rooting for all the Geno fans too...

Man, this is just such a tough list. Thanks for making this thread to allow for more neutral talk about the possibilities.

That said, if it is a DQ rep, I'll play a newer DQ game. This is my bet. Is Builders good? I like Minecraft and I hear the story is good. Or should I wait for 11 on Switch? Or go back and play a different one?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty on board with Erdrick because I love their neon designs and I really want an adorable Slime assist trophy...

But my pick from the list would be Crono because that's just insane. Geno would be great because I've seen Geno supporters for almost two decades campaign for the guy. DQ deserves it from name value and because it's an iconic series (though I admit the Luminary wouldn't be that exciting - he's no Erdrick or Eight).

Sephiroth, though...

I love Final Fantasy 7. He's such an unusual choice I never considered and yet would absolutely love. He's an incredibly iconic villain and it means we would get One Winged Angel in Smash which would be awesome. Everyone on this list is such an insane possible "never ever" choice that I'm down with them all. Crono tops my list with Sephiroth underneath but Geno hovers over to the side and I'm rooting for all the Geno fans too...

Man, this is just such a tough list. Thanks for making this thread to allow for more neutral talk about the possibilities.
Sephiroth I think would make much better as a boss in World of Light tbh
Crono is also one I'm surprised isn't talked about more. CT has always been quite popular, and he could easily have a fun and creative moveset using duo techs with other party members from the game
Edit: And to answer your question about DQ, Builders is a really fun and chill game. Kind of like a nice blend of Minecraft and Zelda with the unique DQ flair. 11 is also one of my favorite games in the series, but I recommend playing 1-3 before it because it ties into them (and playing 1-3 in order is just really satisfying)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So many Toriyama designs.

So much Dragon Quest.

If you were making a list that might leak to protect the identity of your rep would you put so much emphasis on one designer? One franchise?

This is why I think they are deliberately making people believe Dragon Quest is happening to hide the fact that it's Sora or Geno. The ones discredited the most.

I have this feeling.

D

Deleted member

So many Toriyama designs.

So much Dragon Quest.

If you were making a list that might leak to protect the identity of your rep would you put so much emphasis on one designer? One franchise?

This is why I think they are deliberately making people believe Dragon Quest is happening to hide the fact that it's Sora or Geno. The ones discredited the most.

I have this feeling.
Seems more like a coincidence more than anything tbh. DQ is one of SE's top franchises and is insanely popular in Japan, and Chrono Trigger is a very fondly remembered game.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well that's just rude.... kidding, lol. I respect your opinion, but at the same time you have to respect Dragon Quest for the fact that it basically invented the JRPG genre.
I don't have anything against dragon quest. I totally get the historical significance and I believe it deserves the spot as much as if not more so than most of the other square candidates. It's just really not my cup of tea. To specify, I'm saying Erdrick deserves the spot. Not Luminary and slime.

D

Deleted member

I don't have anything against dragon quest. I totally get the historical significance and I believe it deserves the spot as much as if not more so than most of the other square candidates. It's just really not my cup of tea. To specify, I'm saying Erdrick deserves the spot. Not Luminary and slime.
Yeah, I can see what you're saying. Though, I honestly see those three as having about equal chances.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I have this feeling
I have the exact same feeling.
The way Sora seems directly out
And how People says to not take Geno seriously is very suspicious. Especially knowing how both Characters are way more asked than the rest of the list generally speaking.

The genius move would be if Square-Enix deliberately told people that it wasn't them when one of them actually made it in.

A genius move that wouldn't surprise me.i mean at this point:

>Square-Enix pull out names.
>Most of them are Toriyama/DQ. Making people think it might be them
>But wait put Geno there too since he's asked a lot for the Smash community
>Oh one second. Add Sora too, wait he's Disney? Who cares they need to talk to us anyway beside It's ****ing Sora.
>Add Sephiroth. After all people want more FFVII content right?

They're already playing 4D interdimentional Chess at this point. So adding the "Sora/Geno aren't the rep" wouldn't be crazy from them anymore

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
If you ask me, I think the ones heard most frequently are the bait.

I am going to commit my choice prediction of Sora. I made an analysis on the character months ago if anyone is interested, though information might be a bit outdated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...mensely_indepth_analysis_on_soras_chances_of/

I just feel Sora is THE choice Square, Sakurai, and Nintendo will go for. I just have a strong gut feeling.

We need to keep in mind Square has no real track record of letting things leak. Nintendo is the one that has been leaked many times, but Square not so much. As far as im aware one of the reasons Cloud was such a surprise is because no one knew he was coming. Its very possible Square has been feeding false leaks to different countries and different work places each saying something different. I find it interesting we have no Japanese leakers discussed given that family members may be working on the game. Also its interesting to note that we seem to know much about the Square rep. Yet nothing about KH3 leaks, despite the game coming out one month after Smash and way before the first DLC. Im not saying any leakers are intentionally saying wrong stuff please understand that. I am saying Square may have let out many false leaks to the point where even the most known leakers could be fooled.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Seems more like a coincidence more than anything tbh. DQ is one of SE's top franchises and is insanely popular in Japan, and Chrono Trigger is a very fondly remembered game.
I just can't see it happening. It just doesn't seem right.

I also firmly believe that if the same man who would go for Cloud for Final Fantasy would most likely go for Slime or Erdrick for Dragon Quest.

The icons of said franchise. The big watts. There wouldn't even be a Luminary on the list for him to consider IMO.

The whole Dragon Quest/Toriyama thing on this list is fishy through and through.

As is the fact Geno is even on the list when they probably anticipated people to reach into the situation with him being a Spirit.

Everyone is so confident in DQ's chances, meanwhile? I'm just not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We need to keep in mind Square has no real track record of letting things leak. Nintendo is the one that has been leaked many times, but Square not so much. As far as im aware one of the reasons Cloud was such a surprise is because no one knew he was coming. Its very possible Square has been feeding false leaks to different countries and different work places each saying something different. I find it interesting we have no Japanese leakers discussed given that family members may be working on the game. Also its interesting to note that we seem to know much about the Square rep. Yet nothing about KH3 leaks, despite the game coming out one month after Smash and way before the first DLC. Im not saying any leakers are intentionally saying wrong stuff please understand that. I am saying Square may have let many false leaks to the point where even the most known leakers could be fooled.
This is very true. But it could also be coming from Namco or Nintendo employees who are knowledgable of the upcoming DLC as well, which probably all handle leaks differently.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
This is very true. But it could also be coming from Namco or Nintendo employees who are knowledgable of the upcoming DLC as well, which probably all handle leaks differently.
That is true, but Nintendo employees were also in the know about Cloud. And yet as far as I am aware, no one really knew he was coming. It just seems a bit odd, I think Square is playing several steps ahead. We are only seeing the first step, when they are way ahead.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't actually hate Dragon quest, it's just the series I find to be the least memorable.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
We need to keep in mind Square has no real track record of letting things leak. Nintendo is the one that has been leaked many times, but Square not so much. As far as im aware one of the reasons Cloud was such a surprise is because no one knew he was coming. Its very possible Square has been feeding false leaks to different countries and different work places each saying something different. I find it interesting we have no Japanese leakers discussed given that family members may be working on the game. Also its interesting to note that we seem to know much about the Square rep. Yet nothing about KH3 leaks, despite the game coming out one month after Smash and way before the first DLC. Im not saying any leakers are intentionally saying wrong stuff please understand that. I am saying Square may have let many false leaks to the point where even the most known leakers could be fooled.
Agreed, that's a big reason why I'm eagerly anticipating Takashi Tokita's secret Switch game. I also think there's something that we're missing.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Out of curiosity do we have any information from Japanese leakers or sources on the Square rep? This could help us piece together this crazy puzzle.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Out of curiosity do we have any information from Japanese leakers or sources on the Square rep? This could help us piece together this crazy puzzle.
Japanese leaks are extremely rare.
Usually it's the west who doesn't give a **** lmao

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
If you ask me, I think the ones heard most frequently are the bait.

I am going to commit my choice prediction of Sora. I made an analysis on the character months ago if anyone is interested, though information might be a bit outdated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...mensely_indepth_analysis_on_soras_chances_of/

I just feel Sora is THE choice Square, Sakurai, and Nintendo will go for. I just have a strong gut feeling.
There's some pretty good points here, and I do agree Disney may not be much of a roadblock as people think. My thing with Sora though, is that would Nintendo and especially Square agree to it?

If we're running with the "Square is getting a DLC rep so Cloud could be in the base game" narrative, Square would likely have the most control on who gets in as DLC. If they picked Sora, they'd essentially as one other person put it, be shooting themselves in the foot. If Sora gets into Smash, the profits from the DLC would mainly go to Disney and Nintendo. They likely won't get as big of a cut and just given how it seems like they were super hesitant with letting Cloud into the base game in the first place, I don't know if they would openly accept a character where they wouldn't make the most money from as the DLC rep. On Nintendo's side as well, it'd be a ton of effort and they would have to split the profits 3 ways. Yeah Sora may sell well to kinda make up that, but numerous other characters would sell pretty good as well, and they wouldn't be as much work as Sora would be. I would think that Nintendo and Square would agree on a character they both would be happy with and sell relatively well and not have to factor in another company into the mix so the profits mainly just go to the both of them.

I would really like Sora though, and I'd be just as excited for him as I would Geno, but I just have some doubts.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I forgot to mention this, its rumored Square will reveal its Avengers game they have been working on tomorrow. The Russo brothers will be in attendance, and there is rumors there will be an Avengers 4 trailer sometime this week. All of this seems to fit nicely with the avengers game being revealed. Also no one knows who the director of the game is. However if I had to bet, I think its Tetsuya Nomura. Given his high partnership with Disney and Marvel being owned by Disney.

Just in case anyone did not know this.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I just have to ask: Genuinely why do people want Dragon Quest? I simply can't get over the baggage behind the scenes; let alone how it just comes off..... generic.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it's fair to want DQ out of Smash just because of its composer. Way too many people worked on it and I don't think theirbwork shouldn't be appreciated because of one asshole.
I forgot to mention this, its rumored Square will reveal its Avengers game they have been working on tomorrow. The Russo brothers will be in attendance, and there is rumors there will be an Avengers 4 trailer sometime this week. All of this seems to fit nicely with the avengers game being revealed. Also no one knows who the director of the game is. However if I had to bet, I think its Tetsuya Nomura. Given his high partnership with Disney and Marvel being owned by Disney.

Thanos confirmed

D

Deleted member

I just have to ask: Genuinely why do people want Dragon Quest? I simply can't get over the baggage behind the scenes; let alone how it just comes off..... generic.
The important thing to keep in mind about Dragon Quest is that it created the JRPG genre and so many now common tropes in them, and it just keeps sticking to what it does best for each game. Its legacy and influence is undeniable.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well, Dragon Quest is basically the Grandfather of JPRG and created like 90% of it's code.
It's artist is ****ing Akira Toriyama the dude behind Dragon Ball.
People had Mario vs Sonic debate but for Final Fantasy vs Dragon Quest vs Zelda back then.
Dragon Quest is so big in Japan, it's almost normal to miss school/Work for it.
****ing Hunter x Hunter author is addicted to it.

On the surface, it looks generic, but when you get into it. You understand it Noble letters and why it's famous.

Sadl it never broke out in the west, except DQ VIII.
But DQ VIII is a masterpiece so uh. It's normal

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't think it's fair to want DQ out of Smash just because of its composer. Way too many people worked on it and I don't think theirbwork shouldn't be appreciated because of one *******.

Thanos confirmed
This composer has been with it since it's genesis though; correct?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Nomura did state in that Smash countdown Twitter post that this was a really busy week for him. Game Awards is this week, so maybe he could end up directing the project.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Disney, Nintendo and Square all in one place tomorrow, coincidence?! Yeah it probably is lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This composer has been with it since it's genesis though; correct?
Correct. He's really stingy about the music, and is probably the main roadblock for a DQ character in Smash.
Nomura did state in that Smash countdown Twitter post that this was a really busy week for him. Game Awards is this week, so maybe he could end up directing the project.
I hope not. KH3 and FFVII is already a ton of work, SE shouldnt overwork him like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Japanese leaks are extremely rare.
Usually it's the west who doesn't give a **** lmao
Knowing this, doesn't it seem odd that Square would legitimately give any real leaks to the West? When they know they are the ones that leak everything? It seems more likely they would send them on a wild goose chase. Here we all are arguing Rabbit season or Duck season, and instead it could be Deer season!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That sucks for those other people, but I'm going to vote with my wallet. I'm sure it won't matter much to Square but I'm not giving them a cent if that old piece of trash is going to get some of it. There are still people alive today who lost parents, friends, and loved ones in the atrocities committed that he denies ever happened.
It's fine to speak your mind in the matter but at the same time, it's important to remember DQ isn't just its composer. Hating on the entirety of the series because of him is completely undeserving and unfair to those who would also not like to associate with him

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What can Erdrick and Luminary do in terms of moveset?
Calling Calane Calane . He's the guy to go to for this sort of stuff.

Also bless you Nekoo Nekoo for making this thread. Now that there's a specific place to discuss this stuff it'll be easier to follow.

Anyways, I got an idea after looking at Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman 's post about how four of the characters are Toriyama and how that could be to draw eyes from Sora and Geno.

What if the source that approached Polar and Co. about Sephiroth and Geno in negotiations is someone from Square Enix deliberately spreading misinformation? How else would they have a Linkedin page of a specific Square Enix employee and how they would know something like this. or how were they able to find Polar's source and provide a story that fills in the blanks?

We already know that Square Enix is throwing around misinformation left and right, so I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I still find this place wholly unnecessary tbh; and think ya'll just want a place to bash Geno and not get called out for it.

D

Deleted member

What can Erdrick and Luminary do in terms of moveset?
They both are primarily a mix of swords and magic. Not in the same way as Robin with way more emphasis on magic, but I could see specials being magic and the rest being regular swordfighting.

Erdrick can equip many different weapon types aside from swords, including axes, whips, and boomerangs, which I can certainly see being incorporated into their hypothetical moveset.

The Luminary (Luminary is a title btw, not a name like a lot of people seem to think) can only equip one handed and two handed swords, but their in-game set of swordplay abilities, plus his fair list of spells and the fact that he can dual wield one handed swords can also make for a fun and unique moveset.

D

Deleted member

Maybe people are just overthinking this whole thing and it's really just Slime with the Dragon Quest characters and Crono as a deliberate misinformation based on "toriyama designs". Sephiroth is here because Cloud, and Geno and Sora because popularity.

Top Bottom