• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spiking:Essential to brawl

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
It was the easiest in SSB64.
It's easier to spike in Melee than it is in Brawl.
Spiking in Brawl isn't as effective as it was Melee.
But all in all, if you main a character that can spike, you should learn it, as it gives you another potential kill move.
Is spiking in Brawl essential to Brawl? probably not, especially since you can airdodge to an upB.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
let's take a look at my mains:

zamus:
downb spike? very hard to hit with, because it's easy to see coming.
dair spike? yeah... this one probably isn't ever going to happen :p.
upb spike? it's actually pretty effective, but usually you only perform it when being edgehogged... which means both of you are going to die.

sheik: no spikes...

jiggs: no spikes...

zelda:
dair spike? it's a sweetspot.....

ice climbers:
fair spike? pretty slow...you CAN throw>fair, but people avoid IC throws like the plague.

spikes are pretty **** nice, but they're not essential unless you play samus :p

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Spiking is important? OMG, it's the biggest breakthough since we learned that you must RECOVER!

On a serious note, Spiking is only important with certain characters. They're a definite perk, but you could probably play without them and not lose any sleep over it.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Yeah, I have learned to spike with Falco and it makes up about 50% of my KO's. Spiking is important but I don't think it will outshine anyone's actual skill.

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
I main Pikachu and Peach. Spiking is definately not important to me.

In Melee I could kinda spike with Pikachu's Uair, but I haven't done it in Brawl yet.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know Brawl had spiking. I thought it was all called meteor smashing now. :confused: And yeah, it's pretty essential to Brawl. :ohwell: Take for example, Ganondorf. He pretty much NEEDS his meteor smash. There are some players I know that just love meteor smashing and can't live without it. And I know a friend that can always meteor-cancel. :mad: To the point, yes, meteor smashing is a very essential part of Brawl.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Not when you use Ness. Beware the child's foot. Same goes for Lucas.
I don't think Lucas has a good spike compared to Ness. Ness' d-air spike can kill at around 30%, and it is impossible to meteor cancel it because of such a long hitstun from it. Lucas' bair spike kills at like 80% I believe.

magikguy

Smash Lord
well i use dk and marth so yes i do use it not really high chance they can survive anyways with the meteor cancel if they have enough dmg , so its all good

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Not when you use Ness. Beware the child's foot. Same goes for Lucas.
Lucas' spike might not have as much power,but its amazingly well on stage,with a short hopped dair,spike them into the ground then use his stick,it works amazingly well.

Spikes like Tlinks are one of the more dangerous spikes.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Worrying about flashy kills will screw up your game. Ultimately it depends on your character but its still not nessisary.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i think you should try to learn everything your character can do
yoshi has two spikes, the dair and a sweetspotted fair
there's also a nice grab release to fair spike

Ham Enterprises

Smash Journeyman
Worrying about flashy kills will screw up your game. Ultimately it depends on your character but its still not nessisary.
If you are able to completely master a spike-ing attack you will have a higher chance of killing them when your opponent is off of the stage.

KeybladeMarth

Smash Cadet
Agreed. unless you can pull off spikes most of the time with little risk, you shouldn't use them.
Master them first.

But yeah spiking is awesome, wish I was better at it. It is the most satisfying way to KO:)

Ham Enterprises

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. unless you can pull off spikes most of the time with little risk, you shouldn't use them.
Master them first.

But yeah spiking is awesome, wish I was better at it. It is the most satisfying way to KO:)
Spikes are not Flashy "kills", spiking is a type of technique that can be very affective in
Brawl.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
*shrug* unfortunately for falcon his d-air's hitbox has changed since melee where it at times sends opponents horizontally but when it does actually spike it can KO at a reasonable percent.

unfortunately it really does have the opportunity like other characters get to use their spike.

PS ham...I think you mean effective in Brawl

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The simplicity of the OP's post is wonderful. Great thread IMO.

I use IC's and I love spiking.

magikguy your avatar is way too good

some of the funniest moments in one piece happened in that arc

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well on a personal level I find the best way would be to list my characters and see how it all stacks up
Mario-hmm I suppose the F-air is usable quite risky but usable
Sonic-no just no maybe with the spring against Ike or something but that's IT!
Link-Rarely VERY rarely the down air works but his recovery is so bad that it just wouldn't work to well
Kirby-YES YES YES down air ftw! his excellent jumps only enhance the useability of spiking with Kirby
Marth-as fore mentioned the down air when your going for flash I suppose it could be perfected but personall I need work
Fox-well I just picked him up he has petential over all,for a spike? down air he has much better options though
All in all I can't find many uses for spiking in my game mainly due to character limitations,however spiking overall has become less useful as a whole anyhow so I suppose that may also have something to do with it

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
i love toon links spike, its so freaking risky, that when you land it you feel even better that the way you feel killing with any other spike

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Lucas has a good spike compared to Ness. Ness' d-air spike can kill at around 30%, and it is impossible to meteor cancel it because of such a long hitstun from it. Lucas' bair spike kills at like 80% I believe.

Lucas' spike not good? First of all he has two of them and second of all the most predominant one (Bair) can be used with short hopping to hit a person just about to grab the ledge without little Lucas' body ever leaving the stage. Also the the Dair is good for shutting out the opponents Up Special and getting a spike in. Furthermore the Bair spike has very unpredictable range and its a very awkward one, if you can master this spike you will fool the enemy 90% of the time you use it.

.CMW.

Top Bottom