• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
@ Ether:

LOL actually my Marth is doing pretty well right now! Good call =D

My Ness is gettin off, though, when I'm in good condition. But I played my heart out tonight against a really great GA player [Cornel] and beat his characters [Fox/Captain Falcon] when he was having all kinds of butthole pleasures with my Marth and Falco...anyway, the end result was not something I was terribly pleased with [most of them were last hit matches but he actually had to resort to stealing my PKT once or twice XD...but I was being way too flashy which was how I got in that situation in the first place]

the point is...sooner than later, he's going to continue to figure out the matchup. In that time my Ness will be stronger in the matchups, but he'll continue to have a much higher chance of beating me than I will against him...meanwhile my top tiers are chillin in the background and not gaining real matchup experience

gahhhh FML

Why do I love Ness so much ;___;

Falco -- Day 25:
-I don't shine-grab against shields.
-I still don't laser enough or properly enough.
-I don't settle for guaranteed and easier edgeguards like I should.
-My shine out of shield is too slow when I'm intimidated by incredible pressure.
-I settled into a typical-Falco-player rut of always wanting to follow dairs with shines instead of utilt or dsmash when applicable
-I end up watching myself get comboed and wildly hope for whatever move I'm spamming to magically break me out of stun and interrupt the combo...only to continue getting comboed.
-I still don't laser enough or properly enough
-I don't pressure from below platforms with shine-waveland-shine
-I don't extend combos with wavelanding like I should do and like I already do with my other characters

Alukard

Smash Hero
HERB was effing great! So glad to see the melee scene so alive and loud. Well maybe just super loud in that part of North Carolina. Haha, the crowd reactions to the home team were intense and I can't wait to see/hear the vids.

EY and I did well in teams and could have done even better - 3rd or 4th was in our grasp but we blew a two on one due to outside pressure. I love teaming up with a fast Fox, hehe.

Both M2K and Hax pretty much demolished me in my pool. M2K Peach dittoing me on my counter pick and winning a JV3 stock was disheartening, but I think I learned more in that one game than I've learned in a game of smash in six years. Had good sets with FullMetal, Alukard, and one other Falcon player. Happy enough with my placing, and I'm sure I'll get a bit better.

Looking forward to your fest on the weekend Ether.

edit: JWolf and Malco did you guys leave early also?
u sir need to stop sandbaggin ^_^

seriously tho ... stop

i felt to amazing to even meet an oldschool smasher =]

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I need falco practice. So i really want to make it to ether's thingy saturday.
My falco can't do platform combos/platform lasers as well as most others could at herb. i'm way too frustrated. Though my falcon did pretty **** :)

Also, rhan is taking forever to get them to me. I've been wondering the same thing!
He has my gamebridge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9WE63W0iOY
THIS WAS INTERESTING. lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
S-man, when are you going to upload the matches from the last fest?
Next time I go over S-Man's house.

My falco can't do platform combos/platform lasers as well as most others could at herb. i'm way too frustrated. Though my falcon did pretty **** :)

Also, rhan is taking forever to get them to me. I've been wondering the same thing!
He has my gamebridge!

I'm not taking forever. I have the videos and the dubs GF's from HERB. It's just getting them to you.

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the fest c-stick really enjoyed it

laugh I would shout out but come does any of kf really need it...laugh I will just tell you in person how beast you are =P

other then c-stick your ganon is a beast

CStick

Smash Lord
fun fest. We had a small 8-man tourney while were were at it, too. I need to work on beating Marths...

1st: JWolf (Fox, Falco) winnings: $0.00 :p
2nd: Oro (Marth, Fox) winnings: $0.00 :p
3rd: CStick (Ganon) winnings: $0.00 :p
4th: Malco (Falco) winnings: $0.00 :p
5th: Uknow (Marth)
5th: Drew (Peach)
7th: Chris (Fox)
7th: Tech (Samus)

JWolf - too good. At least it was 3-1 and every match was ridiculously close.

Oro - keep playing, because you're too good. Came down to the last hit of the last life of the last match... :(

Malco - wut happun?

everyone else - hopefully cya at Ether's, but I doubt it.

Alukard

Smash Hero
haha I love Alukard...we didn't get to play, though ;___;
i love u too bro... mad cool guy ... and u own ur own company ... BALLIN'

why dont people understand that jman didn't just get good against all those chars out of random lolol sheesh

Ether

Smash Ace

He has my gamebridge!

That match was amazing! There were far too many instances of epic for me to comment on any one of them.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
lolfalconpunches

hey IV, when you play music in your headphones during a tourny match, do you have a specific playlist sorted out or do you just set it on an album by any particular band or what? im considering trying out listening to music to drown out crowd noise but im not certain if itll distract me during the match. just curious what kind of music you're capable of setting to BGM in your head

rhan

Smash Hero
So Ether, your fast is Saturday right? I'll be able to drive Crystalnite and S-Man there then. If not..... See you next time? I'm only allowed out Saturday. And I'll probably have to be back by 9 - 10 ish.

Also Shaden/Theo: Bring 5 bucks for gas. Or at least a total of 10-ish.

Alukard: I was just joshin. But seriously I love your Samus and seeing a Falco then a SHeik as your avatar crushed my spirit. :(

rhan

Smash Hero
Ether what time are you going to be expecting people? I'm trying to get to S-Man's early after I drop by Busch Garden's. Also the earlier I get to his house the faster we can upload those videos.

Ether

Smash Ace
Rules For Ether's Fest Today

Start showing at 5pm.

Now, who remembers Duelist Kingdom from Yugioh, where they played for Star Chips? Well, Aurora and I went and bought some Star Gems and boxes for everyone to keep them in.

We're going to try something different today. Each smasher gets a box full of 7 Star Gems. The goal is to challenge other smashers and leave today with the most Star Gems. Here are the rules:

1. If a smasher challenges another smasher in a match for Star Gems, and these two smashers have not played a Star Gem match all day, the player who was challenged must accept.

e.g. - Ether challenges Batman for Star Gems. Batman has played some friendlies with Ether, but never for Star Gems. Batman must accept.

2. The smasher who accepted the challenge gets to choose whether the set will be best of 1, 3, or 5.

e.g. - Batman tells Ether the set will be best of 3.

3. The set plays out as normal, with counterpicking, bans, etc.

e.g - Ether and Batman play out the set. Batman wins the set.

4. The loser forfeits the appropriate number of Star Gems to the winner. "Best of 1" matches are worth 1 Star Gem, "Best of 3" matches are worth 2 Star Gems, and "Best of 5" matches are worth 3 Star Gems.

e.g. - Ether lost the set, so he gives Batman 3 Star Gems.

5. If a smasher challenges another smasher in a match for Star Gems, and these two smashers have played a Star Gem match that day, the player who was challenged has the option of declining.

e.g. - Batman asks Ether if he wants to go again. Ether says, "Only if it's friendlies with you."

6. Teams matches are played out similarly. A team can challenge any two smashers.

e.g. - Ether goes up to Crystalnite and asks, "Hey, wanna run some teams?" IV agrees. They then proceed to challenge JWolf and Malco (Red Team). Red Team must accept, since they haven't played a Star Gem match against this team. Red Team declares the set will be for best of 5, and the set is played out.

7. After 10pm, no matches may be played for Star Gems. At this point, smashers will count up their Star Gems to see who has the most.

8. Currently, the smasher with the most Star Gems just gets bragging rights, but we can take $1-2 per person toward a grand prize or something in the future.

My Star Gems are white. Everyone else gets blue gems. That way, if you take a set from me, you get visual proof. Not that it's too hard to, right? :laugh:

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Pretty cool concept Ether. Will make things that much more competitive I hope! The first recorded "star " matches in history could make for some publicity too.

Can somebody please bring a TV? I'll bring a full setup this time and soda.

D0N

Smash Ace
lol Star Gems?

Great idea you got there. I want to see results even though I dont even play the game

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Well I ended up going to HOBO, but my ride was late so I didn't get to enter smash :(

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Boose: I listen either to fast paced music to keep me from stalling (basically blanking out) because i tend to lose focus when I am being over-pressured or i have just taken the lead in a match at which point i tend to let up on my opponent. OR i listen to music which stimulates me mentally, like, makes me think.

The whole point of listening to music for me is to get me to focus on 2 things as opposed to all the other things going on in the room, including conversations, other people moving, people giving faulty advice, the opponent trying to distract me with incessant nagging (ehem...SHAEMAN...ehem), etc. While it may seem at first to be a detriment to have your mind focus on 2 things at once, it is a serious consolidation from countless things to one audio and one visual focus. Playing music also tends to settle my nerves when the match has come to the last stock.

I must say, though, that i dont always listen to music because 1) I dont have an ipod, just a laptop and a psp, so i dont take them everywhere and 2) Music puts me on "autopilot" and if i'm trying to fix a bad habit of mine or am basically focusing on something other than flat-out winning the match, then I need my focus on only the game.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
daaamn Whodat that blows ;__;

points? I missed out :(

what I didn't miss out on was the most epic and awesome surprise party ever!!! why was it epic?

n**** that **** was NINJA TURTLES THEMED, SON! It was tooo good...the cousins and siblings took a bunch of pictures so I'm sure they'll be up on facebook soon...

Oh right, you guys probably don't know about my childhood fascination/obsession with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I WAS Michelangelo. I would take a tubesock and use it as a nunchuck...did that for YEARS. It was pretty bad >_>. But I had a ****load of TMNT toys [even had the Pizza Thrower, sonnn] though strangely I never actually had the turtles themselves.

Anyway...New York Cheesecake [Junior's] is the shiiiiit and so is New York chinese food ommmmmg most perfect General Tso's chicken EVER.

*sigh*...and now my flight is mad delayed...oh well

Miss you guys, SoVa

<3

Top Bottom