• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Ether go for it, she's good on every stage.

Senko yea I'm probably the best Peach player in Europe but Amsah and Captain Jack are superior Sheiks. They will likely visit some tournies in the US this summer!

I have to miss Pound :( Anyone smashing Sunday feel free to give me a ring though! 639 1563

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
@ The_Doug and Ether: O_o. Why is it that ALOT of great players are located in VA. now? Maybe not in SOVA, but still in VA. Maybe a sign....

Well it sucks for me that I can't make it out to VA. Beach unless DragonCharlz or Whodat is going as I lack a car and work too much. But meh...one day! ONE DAY! My Mario will ascend to unseen levlels!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I've been fuxing with mario for a particular match-up.
is he better against Sheik than Doc? if, for nothing else, simply because of bair? or is Doc's still better with bair-chains? I haven't had enough Doc v. Sheik to know if his uair chain is as feasable as Mario's...I know a ton of you guys have been doing Doc v. Sheik, so lemme know what you've found to be most effective
thanks...
PS: or you could just show me when you get to my house =D
or at Ascendency...I'll be bringing a cube and a sizable venue fee to play friendlies all day [I'd play in the tournies but Cstick's is where the rest of my money is going hahaha, don't feel like losing $30-40+ in two days]

EDIT: some people were wondering who is showing up to my fest on the 29th, so far here's the list I have

Tope
Cyrain
Israfel
Nelo
KitsuneKing
FTZ
Gum
Ether
O-NO
BLKG [David "Black Guy"]
Fantastic! [Luigi Matt]
BlackheartLee
Chromer [NEEDS A RIDE FROM GAME-ON AREA]
Mid-Tier [Eli]
It's Ganon [Cory]
Schoolie Dee
MaSHi
2ben [Joe's friend, Ben]
ndn [Rahil]
CStick

Maybe:
CPU [Raymond]
WTF? [Dean]
FATS

BlackheartLee

Smash Rookie
is he better against Sheik than Doc? if, for nothing else, simply because of bair? or is Doc's still better with bair-chains? I haven't had enough Doc v. Sheik to know if his uair chain is as feasable as Mario's...I know a ton of you guys have been doing Doc v. Sheik, so lemme know what you've found to be most effective
thanks...
It's easier for Doc to get that grab. Plus, he has a good ender to air combos if you aren't by the edge (f-air).

But Mario can play in that sweet-spot area vs Sheik so, so well.

Watch this match:

Aniki vs Sigurd

The sheik starts getting frustrated and not playing so well near the end, but you can pretty easily see the two areas where Mario can excel. Half-screen fireballs and then, when in close, stay just outside of down-smash range and you can control the match (on FD, anyway).

If you can learn to control the spacing of the match, Mario has the tools and he can actually live, which is always a good thing.

toasty

Smash Hero
I see what you mean Lee. Also, this made me drool at some parts [not unlike the famed OC2 International crew battles...d@mn those japanese Docs, they're too good!]

Aniki Vs. Shu

I've been working on an anti-Sheik game with Pikachu, HOWEVER I doubt it's an anti-Sheik, it's just anti-my-friend's-Sheik. He's forced to resort to chaingrabbing [which you can actually get out of at very very low %] and even then I still win, even without semi-spikes!
Point is: much like I asked/demanded Marth Vs. Ness, I kindly request that if anyone would like to give my Pikachu some higher level Sheik training, that'd be awesome. Note: I don't exactly expect to do well, however what I intend to get out of this is the same thing I got out of those Ness Vs. Marth matches. Playing against really good people is great for improvement and all, but there's something about that + a completely unbalanced matchup like Pika/Sheik that makes you try infinitely harder and since 99% of Pika's mistakes can be readily capatilized on by Sheik, it's pretty amazing training.

By the way, who can bring Cubes/Wiis/TVs??? I need a list before people either a) don't bring anything assuming others will or b) bring too many assuming others won't

BlackheartLee

Smash Rookie
I see what you mean Lee. Also, this made me drool at some parts [not unlike the famed OC2 International crew battles...d@mn those japanese Docs, they're too good!]

Aniki Vs. Shu

I've been working on an anti-Sheik game with Pikachu, HOWEVER I doubt it's an anti-Sheik, it's just anti-my-friend's-Sheik. He's forced to resort to chaingrabbing [which you can actually get out of at very very low %] and even then I still win, even without semi-spikes!
Point is: much like I asked/demanded Marth Vs. Ness, I kindly request that if anyone would like to give my Pikachu some higher level Sheik training, that'd be awesome. Note: I don't exactly expect to do well, however what I intend to get out of this is the same thing I got out of those Ness Vs. Marth matches. Playing against really good people is great for improvement and all, but there's something about that + a completely unbalanced matchup like Pika/Sheik that makes you try infinitely harder and since 99% of Pika's mistakes can be readily capatilized on by Sheik, it's pretty amazing training.

By the way, who can bring Cubes/Wiis/TVs??? I need a list before people either a) don't bring anything assuming others will or b) bring too many assuming others won't
Perhaps it is simply that Aniki himself is anti-sheik. He might even be able to use Bowser and beat a sheik, he's just that good.

We have a whole bunch of matches to play, toasty, but I'm willing to add Pikachu-Sheik to the list. What you might want to do is set up a very specific counter-pick stage. Like if you lose the first match, take them to Jungle Japes and gimp spike them into the water, use the multiple ledges for up-b return guessing games, use neutral b for ledge camping strategies, etc. I mean, sure, FD is a beautiful stage to train yourself in futility, but when it comes to a tournament, that ***** Sheik gets no mercy.

O-NO and I will probably be bringing a Wii, a cube, and his TV again (which O-NO had a great deal of fun carrying from the car all the way to the second floor)

Gum

Smash Journeyman

Aniki Vs. Shu

I can definately bring mine. Oh and in addition to the shiek shpiel, I woudn't mind some training for my samus. I know she has what it takes, I mean she's a ****ing bounty hunter! Oh and also good marth training.

toasty

Smash Hero
good **** O-NO/Lee/Gum
haha, how bout this, when you and O-NO get here, call me, I'll bring the TV upstairs myself and set it up, it's the least I can do since you guys are bringing it =D
yeah, you've got a point though Lee, I really don't have any counterpicks, I've just been training against the top tiers against their corresponding "best stages"...although I think trying Ness against Marth on YS is something I've been avoiding for some time x_x
Hope you two can make it over here earlier than last time, way too much **** to fit in if you get here at like 11 again. So come as early as you like :)

...never even THOUGHT of Jungle Japes...probably because I'm afraid of upB mindgames resulting in a klaptrap coming out of NOWHERE for the instant KO :(

Khalil, what time are you coming over? I'm going to see if David can come over mad early, he's good Sheik training in that learning the tactics to avoid his style gives you a great foundation to apply to most Sheiks...namely spacing yourself so you're not in Dsmash range, and also make sure you land behind the ***** when you attack from the air so you don't get grabbed [since CC-Dsmash and block-grab are the biggest part of his game, if not the entirety...the man doesn't even know about aerial-needles-->grab!]...d@mn Aniki for making it look so feasable with mid-tiers :(

EDIT...again:

WHAT I HAVE:
4 TVs
3 Wiis
2 Cubes
4 Copies of Smash

WHAT I NEED:
I don't NEED another TV since we have 4 full setups, but it couldn't hurt =D
1 Copy of Smash
1 Memory Card with all the stages/characters on it

Just thought I'd post this so people don't bring **** we're not going to use. I mean I have room for more setups I suppose, but I don't think I have enough chairs haha...okay, well, I COULD but that'd be wayyyy too much furniture to put back exactly how it was before the NEXT DAY when my parents get back. So if anyone wants to have more then 4 setups running at once [and note: we have at least 20 confirmed people] and they have folding chairs or any chairs they can bring, that'd be sweeeeeet...there's a fairly open area for both a setup and chairs...unless you guys don't mind sitting on the ground [please do NOT move the sofas without asking me first...I'm probably going to say no but if things are running smoothly, I might not care as much, so ask.]

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
back in town after the WORST anime con ive ever been too XD.
i won the ssbm "tourney" and got free reg for next year too. i mean, free for all one stock tourney? random stages? no unlocks? ~.~;
wobbling noobs was pretty fun though.
highlight of the con? I MEET THE BLACK RANGER!!!!! (from the first power rangers movie)

CStick

Smash Lord
you better have gotten that man's autograph, Otis

Toast: if I'm driving and if theres room i dont mind lugging my TV with me if it'll help. I'll still bring my cube and a copy of smash either way

also...

good **** to Doug, Kitsune, and Lee last night. It was great to get some practice in, and once again, just like all of the other times, I'm thinking about changing 'mains', lolololololol

toasty

Smash Hero
Ohhh Sheeeeiiiiit

I'm thinking about changing 'mains', lolololololol
no matter who it is, it'll still eat Doc's random B-moves =D =D =D

and yeah that'd be great if you brought the TV, thanks. and if you can't, no problem since we already have four setups

EDIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!

THERE WILL BE RECORDING EQUIPMENT!!!

[.........because I just ordered some, will be here in time for the fest =D]

so yeah...Team Green Greens shall definitely be recorded =D...or at least all three finals rounds...I don't know how much memory matches eat up so if it doesn't appear to be a great deal, I'll just leave it recording on one TV for a while, just put your names on your characters , or keep track of your matches, if you want them and/or want them posted

toasty

Smash Hero
OHHHHHHHHHHH SHEEEIIIIT!!!!!
so...I've added one more thing to go down on the 29th. There is a field right by my house...................................................DODGEBALL MOTHAFUKKAAAASSSSSSSS

better yet: CREWS!!!!!!! haha, if EVERYONE leaves my house, I'll post a sign up on the door that says where we're at for Dodgeball madness =D

Knorr

Smash Ace
WHAT UP MY VA PLAYAS
get hype fools, we had a good response at pound about MPJV and attendance will be greater this time and will be more intense! This is all about expanding the regional smash scene and bringing everybody together to have a great time so free up your schedule and get ready for N.C.'s finest tourney yet! MPJ V!

details here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=99500

i had a good time last tiem i came up to VA with oh-no and lee and i miss c-stick and all you other cool cats so you guys better make it down! :)

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
Kits, any chance you can bring at least a small TV [if not the one in your room which would be perfect] and I'll take it to your place the next morning?
the one in my room? b*tch you crazy, that **** is too big to put back into my car. i'll bring the small one.

Knorr

Smash Ace
im down for mpjv. im also down to kill fools in some dodge ball.
im bringing my ps2 and street fighter 3rd strike.
side tourney?
yeah people start arriving friday to hang out and sleep,
saturday morning i wake up and make pancakes for everybody and more people show up then we start the tourny and it lasts all day and when its over every body hangs out plays dodgeball and usually people bring their own games to play and we chill all sunday and see people off. It's great fun.

I wanna see ya'll there.

Ether

Smash Ace
Does anyone want to come over and smash? I'm sitting around doing nothing, just playing spidey 3, bored as hell. Lisa gets off work at 5. I'll team with her against anyone if that sounds good.

Also, I don't think I'll be going to any tourneys for awhile. I've got some things I need to work out. Sorry. Please don't kill me.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Does anyone want to come over and smash? I'm sitting around doing nothing, just playing spidey 3, bored as hell. Lisa gets off work at 5. I'll team with her against anyone if that sounds good.

Also, I don't think I'll be going to any tourneys for awhile. I've got some things I need to work out. Sorry. Please don't kill me.
You MUST be bored if you're playing Spidey 3. I would definately be down for smash (ie. me getting *****), but I work way too much and lack a car and live a bit too far as well :(

And not coming to any tournies for a while?! We (as in us from NN) finally get to see you and now you can't go to anymore?! For that, my Mario will gain a temporary HUGE boost in skill and will four-stock your Marth after you only hit me THREE TIMES (just to give you false hope that you can combo me), then you won't touch me again and every stock will end by you being spiked by a D-TILT.

Course that'll never happen...but meh....

And unreal where'd you come from? Haven't heard from you in a while. Your Wii Sports disk is at Ascendency, and I will be too. I'll get my vengence over you yet! :laugh:

Of course I have tomorrow off myself without anything to do, so if anyone's in the NN area without a thing to do, post up or something.

Ether

Smash Ace
And not coming to any tournies for a while?! We (as in us from NN) finally get to see you and now you can't go to anymore?! For that, my Mario will gain a temporary HUGE boost in skill and will four-stock your Marth after you only hit me THREE TIMES (just to give you false hope that you can combo me), then you won't touch me again and every stock will end by you being spiked by a D-TILT.
Hey, we should Mario ditto sometime!! It sounds like fun :)

*kills Ether*
Noooooooooo x_x

Top Bottom