• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

South Florida... and why??

Young Ic3

Smash Journeyman
I remember back in the days when a SSBM tournament was to happen in S. Florida everyone in the area would come.

Now in 2007 tournaments have been...DEAD lately.

It's sad to see the turn-outs. People have wasted their time doing something for the smash community and you guys would stay at home and do nothing. Why should we host tournaments? Why waste our money for you guys? But I understand about having no rides. Well thats cool. but some/most people do have transportation but just wont come. It's sad to see People in SOUTH ****ing Florida to goto Central Florida and not come here...(excluded some of you guys.. you know who you are :) ) This is rediculous to see this happening.

Well this is my 2 cents about S.FL smash communty.

BTW - I had a Wii for the grand prize for the z:p RanBat but I returned it until further notice. If I get another bad turnout. Then I might cancel the whole thing and give the people their money back.

-1-

-Beastcoast

Linguini

Smash Master
Yeah, it's kind of depressing, lately Ive been trying to help the community by holding tournaments and smashfests but it doesnt seem like it's doing anything. People need to start showing like they used to to tourneys before November-December again. Instead of driving six hours to cfl why would you not drive 1 hour-1 hour and a half to get to a local tournament. If no one is putting any effort into reviving the tournament scene, I might as well forget the idea that I had of hosting Bi-Weeklys at my house.....
Cmon' guys let's get the scene up and running again.
Btw Ic3 you know ill be at ZP next sat.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
....most "smashers" have quit/retired or is waiting/camping for brawl!
Pretty much what Shin says, plus majority of the original smashers are in colleges/universities G-spot in grad, llama (former member of WA) in Law school, flowin, mav, red dragon, combo, The Dark Prince, and calibur champ of WA disappeared, and KOTS LW_48, noucles in college are some examples.

Shin any news of what happened to Foxhound, shadow, and the rest of the foxhound crew members?

But even so, If I remember correctly, FL was considered the youngest (literally) and newest smash community, not to mention the biggest flamers on the disscussion boards of its time. Not sure if this title still holds.

Plus I notice that majority of the FL tournaments don't go to the tournament discussion thread anymore, it stays in the Atlantic South Thread.

Moreover, crew competition don't exist like in the past. It is now a regional competition

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
It's really strange. The Smashfests we had near West Palm Beach usually had a pretty good turnout. About 13-15 people on most weeks. But nobody comes to the tournies.

Jit

Smash Journeyman
Honors is having a tourney at NSU on February 24th: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=93932

I'm having a game night; smash, halo, random PS2 games, DDR, at McFatter Tech on the 22nd. I'll make a thread tomorrow.

It's 5 bucks and you get a PS2 eye toy demo disc, last time that also included pizza. No "real" tourneys, we can have one but no real prizes; school says it's gambling --grr idiots.

Peachtress

Smash Ace
Back in Late 05' and early 06' the SFL smash scene was practically at its apex. I really can't say what it is that has decreased the hype down south.

Smashers go to tournaments, loose their money, practice, rinse and repeat. After a while it gets repetitive and boring. Thats what I feel, at least. Virtually every old school smasher has dropped out of the scene; Synikal, Flowin, Maverick, etc.

So yeah, I think we'll have to sit back and wait for SSBB to explode.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, sometimes I feel like it's a waste of money to pay 15 bucks to lose in the first round.

Peachtress

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's because you have the ability to attend every tournament, and still play competitively (and find it fun, nonetheless). Sure, I'll play this game, but I can't keep attending tournaments due to financial and transportation issues.

Never will I stop playing, never.

But w/e the case may be, the SFL smash scene has decomposed and someone has to go revive it.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
1 CFL went through this in 05 - we all died off and had very few people left actively playing (Fenrir and I)
2 $15 isn't bad at all for a weekend of fun and hanging out with friends.
3 Honestly it seems that a little over 2 years is the max that anyone wants to devote to this game, at least in the FL smash scene. My second year on the boards isn't even over yet and I'm tired of this game. A few of you know this already though.

Linguini

Smash Master
Yeah, that's because you have the ability to attend every tournament, and still play competitively (and find it fun, nonetheless). Sure, I'll play this game, but I can't keep attending tournaments due to financial and transportation issues.

But w/e the case may be, the SFL smash scene has decomposed and someone has to go revive it.
Ok, ill try, but how?

Peachtress

Smash Ace

RockCrock

Smash Champion
I've been smashing competitively since late 2003 and and I'm still trucking...I still find smash as fun as ever, honestly the reason I am skeptical about attending anymore SEFL tourneys is the same thing you guys have been saying...you guys don't have good attendance!!!

I'd rather go to CFL where I know there is gonna be at least 30 people not counting SWFL, whereas SEFL is like 15 not counting us!!!

It is sort of a financial thing like Lex said too, I try to go to tourneys now where I won't come out losing $50 because the pot doesn't give me much back!!!

This is Queen at Rock's house!!!

:colorful:

Mcscruff

Smash Ace

there is one way to revive it: someone can host biweeklies or monthlies than use door fee to put money in a pot for a big tournament later on (like what INNsomnia is doing). It'll hopefully attract SWFL,CFL, and maybe even N FL.

Peachtress

Smash Ace
I dunno, its a whole mess down here. The only ppl you can actually count on always (tournament attendance) are Riot, Sighrax, Xif, Lamb....I think thats it.

But yeah, It'll be hard to revive..

Little Master

Smash Rookie
yo even though most smashers are in college, there are some of us that are still in high school. i tend to have lots of ride issues. the closest thing i live to that they held tourneys in is FIU! if i had a car id go to all the tourneys up to CFL...but ask you can see....

SynikaL

Smash Lord
D@mn, so much for making a comeback. I thought I was just out of the loop, but I guess the scene down here really is as dead as it seems; which makes little sense to me since the general scene and the game itself continue to make strides.

Guess I'll see what I can do to jumpstart my area again...

There's no way I can watch FLs scene die like this. Melee is the only videogame that truly brings me joy. Smash is at Evolution this year. For those of you that know of EVO, this is a HUGE deal. Noone should let the opportunity to rub shoulders with Alex Valle, Daigo and Justin Wong at the same tourney pass them by.

Hell, some of these guys are even looking to get into Smash.

-Kimosabae

Lilman

Smash Rookie
Yo Dwyane i made a screen here just for the Evo announcement. Figured id come in and see if u were holding another tourney at ZP or something. I might actually enter just to see if my CF got any better. But it seems kind of negative in here.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
Some things about Central Florida that you have to keep in mind. This goes for Both Tampa and Orlando.

Both are in the center of the state making it possible for people from the north or south to attend. Imagine driving from Tallahase all the way down to Miami area. That would be one hell of a drive for smash. I know we get different people from different places at each event and have gotten people from as far north as Georgia.

Second both Tampa and Orlando are huge tourism areas allowing during breaks for the possibility of OOS smashers that just happen to be here anyways.

Third with such large student populations (Tampa is home to USF, Gainsville UF, Orlando UCF, plus community colleges, full sail, etc) you get tons of new people every year.

Beyond that I try my best to keep the tournaments fresh with new ideas.

Anyways we will see what Brawl brings. I hope it puts smash back as popular as it ever was if not more.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
rock crock: you're thinking is part of the reason why smash is dying here.

dont you realize out of area attendance only boosts the in area attendance?

people are becoming too reliant on waiting to see if there will be alot of people going, so while everyone is wait and see, no one shows interest.

You should try to go to tournaments regardless, because the fact of more people going only further increases attendance. I've been to basically every tournament in SEFL and went to Orlando TWICE in 2 weeks, so i think more people need to step it up.

Linguini

Smash Master
rock crock: you're thinking is part of the reason why smash is dying here.

dont you realize out of area attendance only boosts the in area attendance?

people are becoming too reliant on waiting to see if there will be alot of people going, so while everyone is wait and see, no one shows interest.

You should try to go to tournaments regardless, because the fact of more people going only further increases attendance. I've been to basically every tournament in SEFL and went to Orlando TWICE in 2 weeks, so i think more people need to step it up.
This is soooooooo true, YOU are who is making the tournaments small, w/e ive been going to several tourneys not to mention i held my own....

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
XIF that was me on Rock's account, not rock...

Also the fact that I don't have my own car (I have to ask my mom well in advance) makes it hard for me, unlike others to go to so many tourneys that pop up + IB is a ***** and I always have a bunch of stupid school **** to do as a result...this is why I do have to pick and choose!!!

And now that smashmac works so much it's pretty much, if Queen can't go then the rest of SWFL can't go!!!

:colorful:

derf

Smash Ace
ive been playing 2 years now and i still love smash too. i just hate traveling, not getting any sleep, and then having to pay attention for 12 hours

unlike queen im perfectly willing to neglect my schoolwork though

if you guys do get any big sfl tournies together, ill certainly look into them

Peachtress

Smash Ace
D@mn, so much for making a comeback. I thought I was just out of the loop, but I guess the scene down here really is as dead as it seems; which makes little sense to me since the general scene and the game itself continue to make strides.

Guess I'll see what I can do to jumpstart my area again...

There's no way I can watch FLs scene die like this. Melee is the only videogame that truly brings me joy. Smash is at Evolution this year. For those of you that know of EVO, this is a HUGE deal. Noone should let the opportunity to rub shoulders with Alex Valle, Daigo and Justin Wong at the same tourney pass them by.

Hell, some of these guys are even looking to get into Smash.

-Kimosabae
I think can hype up the scene down south...

shoshone

Smash Ace
I got tired of getting my *** kicked and having no one to practice with. It was fun, but it was also a lot of work and $ to go to tournaments. Realizing that I reached the apex of my smash talents without making a huge sacrifice on my wallet and social life, I knew I was at my end.

So I moved on to play Gears of War which is one reason why I dont play anymore and I was very busy in my senior year and finished applying to college a couple of weeks ago. I would love to play Gears of War with anyone here but like Lambchops and Shin said, people get busy with school/social life.

Little Master

Smash Rookie
Some things about Central Florida that you have to keep in mind. This goes for Both Tampa and Orlando.

Both are in the center of the state making it possible for people from the north or south to attend. Imagine driving from Tallahase all the way down to Miami area. That would be one hell of a drive for smash. I know we get different people from different places at each event and have gotten people from as far north as Georgia.

Second both Tampa and Orlando are huge tourism areas allowing during breaks for the possibility of OOS smashers that just happen to be here anyways.

Third with such large student populations (Tampa is home to USF, Gainsville UF, Orlando UCF, plus community colleges, full sail, etc) you get tons of new people every year.

Beyond that I try my best to keep the tournaments fresh with new ideas.

Anyways we will see what Brawl brings. I hope it puts smash back as popular as it ever was if not more.
all im saying is that some ppl dont have cars and cant drive up north. i mean i would like to but i got schools and AP classes. im just wondering how come there is never a tournament in SFL? or SEFL? sure it being hosted in orlando or tampa is convenient but...things are boring down here...

Top Bottom