• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

South Florida... and why??

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
all im saying is that some ppl dont have cars and cant drive up north. i mean i would like to but i got schools and AP classes. im just wondering how come there is never a tournament in SFL? or SEFL? sure it being hosted in orlando or tampa is convenient but...things are boring down here...
There are plenty of tournaments in South Florida or South East Florida. The community down there needs to get more together and actually got to one tournament on consistant basis. I would suggest to anyone in the south looking to put on a big tournament to do these things

1. Schedule like 3 tournaments each about a month apart. You announce the dates 1-3 monhts in advance if not more.

2. Try and make sure there are no other tournaments that could affect your attendance. Check the florida thread.

3. Try to get locals that don't post on smash boards. Yes, these people do exist and there are lots of them.

4. Provide clear directions to the location the tournament is at and a phone number, website, etc of where the place is at. That way people can call if lost on the way there. We have people call lost at every single tournament we hold. Taking a pictures of the place and things near it- posting tjhem might be a good idea.

When advertising a GIGABITS tournament,

A. I am the assistant manager of GIGABITS, we actually hold the tournaments which helps eliminate any disconnect between the people running the event and the management of the store. I started holding tournaments at GIGABITS when I started working there as I noticed that there weren't many smash tournaments in Central Florida and had been playing it since High School in Lakeland, FL. I had atteneded a few lame tournaments held by EB Games in the past. Tournaments and events are part of both mine and Cecil's jobs.

B. I advertised the tournaments to my large network of friends that all played smash with me. Going to UCF I had met a lot of people to play with. AIM is your friend spread the word about the tournament to people you know.

C. Pass out flyers around UCF, and at other local business, keep flyers in store. Post about tournaments on GIGABITS website, emailed all customers at GIGABITS with information about upcoming tournaments (smash and otherwise).

D. Post on Smash Boards

E. Post on other local message boards, google is your friend here. Myspace events, live journal communities, etc.

F. Advertise it on IRC Chat #florida, #fl.club, #Orlando

G. Let all new Smash Players I meet know about Smash Boards.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
Also remember attendance will probably go up during Summer.

Also when Brawl is released I would expect a bunch of new people interested in the game as well as a bunch of retired people coming back.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
D@mn, so much for making a comeback. I thought I was just out of the loop, but I guess the scene down here really is as dead as it seems; which makes little sense to me since the general scene and the game itself continue to make strides.

Guess I'll see what I can do to jumpstart my area again...

There's no way I can watch FLs scene die like this. Melee is the only videogame that truly brings me joy. Smash is at Evolution this year. For those of you that know of EVO, this is a HUGE deal. Noone should let the opportunity to rub shoulders with Alex Valle, Daigo and Justin Wong at the same tourney pass them by.

Hell, some of these guys are even looking to get into Smash.

-Kimosabae
Are you serious? Smash at EVO!!!!!! OMG lolz.

Any ways I found quitting smash quite easy once tournaments became smaller and smaller. But I am going to try to start up again asap. If attendance is the only problem then I guess I have to do my part in trying to help it out and get more players involved.

I can not believe that Florida has allowed a non SEFL player to become the best in Florida. No disrespect to DaShizWiz, I actually like you as a smasher, but at the same time I remember when the smash scene was all about the SOUTH EAST. Now central FL has better tournaments than us? Oh well I guess thats just the way things go.

Time to go and turn my cube back on.

- Lee -

kidprecision

Smash Apprentice
im going to be the next big thing out of south florida. i just need some ****ing training!!!!!

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
I got tired of getting my *** kicked and having no one to practice with. It was fun, but it was also a lot of work and $ to go to tournaments. Realizing that I reached the apex of my smash talents without making a huge sacrifice on my wallet and social life, I knew I was at my end.

So I moved on to play Gears of War which is one reason why I dont play anymore and I was very busy in my senior year and finished applying to college a couple of weeks ago. I would love to play Gears of War with anyone here but like Lambchops and Shin said, people get busy with school/social life.
no one cares, you traitor.

Top Bottom