• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] "Thinking About Hitstop"

“Hitstop” is a term used to describe a technique employed primarily in fighting games. When you strike the opponent, both parties momentarily freeze, emphasizing the power of impact. It’s a crucial effect.

Hitstop is a design element that is crucial to play-- both casually and competitively. In this translated column, Smash director Masahiro Sakurai discusses the importance of hitstop and his approach on implementing it in Super Smash Bros. The original column was divided into two parts and published over a two week period. Source Gaming has posted the translated version of the column, which can be read here. The translation was done by @Masked Man (仮面の男) and soma.

In the article, Sakurai discusses how the timing, movements, camera distance, vibration and more are all related to hitstop.

Games in the Dynasty Warriors series don’t employ much hitstop, either, probably because you attack large groups of enemies at once. If the action stopped every single time you landed an attack, you would likely end up frozen for a long time, reducing the overall game speed. Conversely, when you get bit by a Shellcreeper in the original Mario Bros., you and the enemy both freeze, and Mario falls off the screen. This sort of effect could also be considered hitstop in a broader sense of the word.

I employ a lot of hitstop in Super Smash Bros., and I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce the concept. By explaining how I use hitstop to spice up the action, I hope to help you all understand the finer details of this mechanic.
PushDustIn would like to employ hitstop in his daily life so he can catch up on all the things he needs to do. If you enjoyed reading these translations, make sure you follow him or AllSourceGaming on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Jaedrik Jaedrik

I appreciate the time and effort you spent on this debate. I feel like i finally got your point, in fact, i agree with most (if not all)things you brought up in your latest post.
It was quite enlightning and i've learned that i need to work on more sophisticated arguments rather then hypothetical examples (which holds no ground at this level)

Jaedrik Jaedrik

I appreciate the time and effort you spent on this debate. I feel like i finally got your point, in fact, i agree with most (if not all)things you brought up in your latest post.
It was quite enlightning and i've learned that i need to work on more sophisticated arguments rather then hypothetical examples (which holds no ground at this level)
<3
You've changed my mind a bit too. Thanks for helping refine the arguments. :D

Last edited:
Well.
Of course I mean now he does. Melee was an intentional masterpiece. :P
More accurately, his philosophy of design isn't magnanimous. He doesn't recognize Melee for the masterpiece it was, and has traveled down a darker path.
Melee is a glitch fest with severely unbalanced characters. That's why most people love it, but that's what it is. And Sakurai didn't go down the "darker path". He tried to make the game more enjoyable for less hardcore players.

Here is my opinion, Melee's mechanics aren't bad, but they make the game seem less polished, and I don't want future smash games to go back to that, but rather include it as a rule or a mode.

Melee is a glitch fest with severely unbalanced characters.
What "glitch" are you talking about? Because most of the things you're probably thinking about aren't actually classifiable as glitches

severely unbalanced characters.
The vast majority of the major changes made to Brawl were worse for balance, in addition Meta Knight is a balancing joke even to the most casual player. Smash is simply not a franchise known for balance among all characters.

Last edited:
http://smashfts.com/2015/02/09/melee-is-an-accident-i-disagree/
Beautiful aye, accidental no.

@Nights Owl @JesseMcCloud

Such a strong condemnation!
Your hypotheticals are for rhetorical purposes only and shed no light onto the actual thought process Sakurai went through in developing Brawl.

Attempting to put the casual first most often results in poor design. Casuals by definition do not delve into the nuance of the game, and stay at a superficial level of understanding.
Therefore, their intuitions and opinions about the game are less founded in the nature of the game and more founded on their whims and feelings.
It's impossible to design 'for the casual,' because of their capricious and inconsistent nature. I'd note here that it's inaccurate to say 'this person is casual' any more than it is to say 'this person is cold.' By that I mean it's a comparative thing: we can only say one person is more or less casual when compared to another person or people on average.
In reality the scale goes from 'good design' to 'bad design.' Good, magnanimous design means creating as much depth as possible with as little complexity as possible. The amount of depth is dependent on the scope of the game and its mechanics.
You falter further in your ridiculous passage on Rivals of Aether: if Sakurai designed Brawl with more depth it'd be a game with Nintendo characters and fun and in depth gameplay mechanics. That ideas are copied / reused from the other Smash Bros. is a given, and we've seen plenty of that in every installment.

Sakurai is wrong in his assumption that designing to appeal to the casual and hardcore is mutually exclusive. That is the dark path I speak of, that's what I mean when I say he doesn't recognize the beauty of the game he'd created, because he misunderstands and thinks that beauty would turn the casual away.

But you further seem to misrepresent me entirely. I don't pretend like everyone should be hardcore. I'm not an elitist. Heck, I'd consider myself casual relative to actual tournament goers.
Casuals have a very clear place. In fact, I welcome them with open arms. They are the vast majority of players, laughing along with us at the zany action. There's nothing wrong with that. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with the hardcore fans of Brawl. Make no mistake, this isn't a condemnation of Brawl and its comparatively poor design, no, this is a sorrowful sigh at what Sakurai could have done.

The reason Brawl had a larger installation base was the prestige of the series itself combined with the growth of the video game market, not because the casuals all looked at the gameplay trailers and said 'wow, this game looks floaty and slow, just my style!'
If Brawl's gameplay design was like Melee's, there'd be no way to link, by way of causation, that fact to lesser sales.
I'd wager that, in this fantasy universe, the sales would only have grown, and after-production demand would be greater than ever.
But, again, these are hypotheticals.
However, I have an actual backing to my hypotheticals: Melee has survived where Brawl died. Smash 4's hardcore following is growing, and is much more like Melee than Brawl in its design.

@CrossoverMan @MOI-ARI @Ramz289 @JBRPG KingPinGamez KingPinGamez @Yuchi @Mr. ShinyUmbreon
Edit: Oops, forgot @Munomario777 and @mobilisq
All I read is someone who thinks he knows how game design works while he himself knows little to nothing about it.
Making a game that has depth but is also not complex is extremely hard like looking left and right at the same time. Sakurai has been attempting to pull this off with differing levels of success.
Smash was created as a simplification of complex inputs to allow players from most any skill level to play the game on a metalevel i.e: focusing on neutral, spacing, mindgames etc. (rather than getting stuck at simple execution)

Melee is an accident as it created an enormous gap between a skilled and unskilled player not based on the internal game that is played during a fighting game, but because again execution from the 'better' players trumps any of the earlier mentioned skills that should be emphasized in this series.

Naturally smash bros will NEVER be like melee EVER again under Sakurai's direction, as it should be.

If you so much as understood where this man is coming from and how he designed (not just smash but all of his) games then you might stop talking about things you know nothing of.

Maybe you should read up not just on smash, but on gaming history as a whole. Maybe read up on Nintendo's philosophy as well.

One tip: stop saying casuals and the hardcore in that sense. It's a way to play any game, not so much a personal identifier. As much as you may say the casuals know nothing, that's wrong. I have been a hardcore player of the GNT series until it got discontinued and have been fairly hardcore about playing smash bros, taking a break with melee and slowing down even now as I have other things keeping me busy in life.
As much as I may be a 'casual' at playing smash, it doesn't mean I don't understand the fundamental game design philosophy that is put into a game, because guess what: I went to game design school and got my ludology down pat.

Take it easy and try not to insult others' intelligence.

Cheers

All I read is someone who thinks he knows how game design works while he himself knows little to nothing about it.
Making a game that has depth but is also not complex is extremely hard like looking left and right at the same time. Sakurai has been attempting to pull this off with differing levels of success.
Smash was created as a simplification of complex inputs to allow players from most any skill level to play the game on a metalevel i.e: focusing on neutral, spacing, mindgames etc. (rather than getting stuck at simple execution)

Melee is an accident as it created an enormous gap between a skilled and unskilled player not based on the internal game that is played during a fighting game, but because again execution from the 'better' players trumps any of the earlier mentioned skills that should be emphasized in this series.

Naturally smash bros will NEVER be like melee EVER again under Sakurai's direction, as it should be.

If you so much as understood where this man is coming from and how he designed (not just smash but all of his) games then you might stop talking about things you know nothing of.

Maybe you should read up not just on smash, but on gaming history as a whole. Maybe read up on Nintendo's philosophy as well.

One tip: stop saying casuals and the hardcore in that sense. It's a way to play any game, not so much a personal identifier. As much as you may say the casuals know nothing, that's wrong. I have been a hardcore player of the GNT series until it got discontinued and have been fairly hardcore about playing smash bros, taking a break with melee and slowing down even now as I have other things keeping me busy in life.
As much as I may be a 'casual' at playing smash, it doesn't mean I don't understand the fundamental game design philosophy that is put into a game, because guess what: I went to game design school and got my ludology down pat.

Take it easy and try not to insult others' intelligence.

Cheers
I'd like to see you response to the other things JUDGE and I posted. We elaborated and covered a lot more ground than this one post.
First off, you're severely mistaking my use of casuals and hardcore, which I describe at length in the other posts. Either that or you're just ignoring how I'm defining it and insisting on your definition. Don't be caught up by that, though. Always look at how people mean things, not the things they use to signify those things. One of the fundamental issues is that I'm not using those words in a way where the label can be attached to anyone without a comparison to another person who would be described as more or less casual / hardcore.
The implication is that, no matter how much you fundamentally understand about game design, there is always the possibility that you could be in grave error since you've not properly learnt or may be utterly ignorant of the design or depth or complexity and so on of a particular game, therefore can both be a casual in reality and think very highly of oneself. Sadly, this is a sort of mistaken casual elitism (sounds like an oxymoron, I know).
Of course, I grant that, people who know design principles well have an easier time learning, but... what I explain later should help put the above passage in context.
Lastly, there's the tragic implication that one can't pass from a lower understanding into a higher one. This is one of the things I described in a previous post, and I hope by reading them you may see how it applies in relation to what you've posted and what I've posted below.
I'm sure there's a lot more from the other posts that I'm forgetting. Please check them out.

Before we begin, you insult my intelligence in a backhanded manner: "All I read is someone who thinks he knows how game design works..." then lastly you say to try not to insult others' intelligence. Then you assume I've not studied game design outside of Smash Bros. at all. Even if I hadn't, that criticism would be entirely irrelevant, as it's reducible to an ad hominem, the circular insinuation being that, since I'm wrong, I must not have studied enough, and that since I've not studied enough, I'm wrong. Either way, I'm wrong. You're defining yourself into a corner while throwing vicious darts, but you've no recourse when these fail. Now, either I take it as you didn't realize your mistake or that you're deliberately being inconsistent and insulting. I'd prefer the first: I'd rather make a mistake than a hypocrite and hope you think likewise.

Your analogy lacks clarity, however. I'll attempt to elaborate and flavor what you said.
The goal of magnanimous game design is to create as much depth of play with as little complexity as possible, on this we seem to agree.

Good balance, for example, means that one has to be more aware of all the possible options one could execute, thus increasing the breadth of applicable options, but the complexity of the issue is little changed because all the characters fundamentally abide by the same rules, and are roughly consistent and good in communicating to the character how they function and why. In this way, we see that what's most influential on complexity isn't the breadth of knowledge that's required at any given level, but rather how easily that knowledge can be assimilated and applied by a player. The easier something is to grasp, the less complex it appears. Learning and skill development occurs in curves, and complexity goes down as a player's learning and skills go up. Depth is dependent on the player-developed meta, rather it is an expression at each skill level of the variety of viable emergent gameplay. We see in this way that the depth at any particular skill / knowledge level is dependent on the breadth of play at said skill / knowledge level, rather than a player's ability to get to that skill level and knowledge.

Let's go back to that "roughly consistent and good" part in the case of Smash Brothers. I believe what most people mean by "jank" is that something breaks these sorts of expectations and must be learned by rote or as exception to the rules. Rules and expectations are things like "hitboxes will be placed roughly were people would expect them if someone did this attack in real life, so for a kick it would be on the leg as it moved along." One might observer, however, jank may be applied in really cool ways to change the balance or depth of play at a given skill level. Developer's choice once the groundwork is laid is primarily of the question "what can I add that will increase the depth of this game in good proportion to the amount of complexity it introduces?" and moreover the prerequisite: "what is that acceptable proportion?" The clearest example is contained here: "Well, would it be better to wait for us to be able to hook our brains up to control things super easily and directly, or should I go ahead and make this game now with the inherently limited controller?"

Thankfully, Smash Bros. by its design is very intuitive to newer players, as I think we can all attest to. It's very easy to learn most things related to the game, precisely because the focus is less on raw execution thus less on developing muscle memory skills. Unfortunately, we are still limited by the necessity to memorize motions my muscle in order to execute things. As a designer, in my opinion, I'd readily say, however, the incredible, vast ocean of depth that wavedashing implies was far, far worth the moderate difficulty of learning the input. Sakurai might or might not have thought likewise, but that's irrelevant. It directly contradicts what you mean when you say "an accident," because depth and complexity are fundamentally contingent on the mechanics in place and the skill / knowledge of the player. Therefore, the developer's goals are utterly irrelevant to whether something is actually an accident in design or not, since it's not dependent on them. Unless, of course, you're defining accident as anything that's outside of a developer's express intention, which is a pretty silly way of defining it, IMO. Regardless, developers are humans too, and can be incredibly mistaken as to the veracity of the merit of their designs or the designs of others.

I'd like to see you response to the other things JUDGE and I posted. We elaborated and covered a lot more ground than this one post.
First off, you're severely mistaking my use of casuals and hardcore, which I describe at length in the other posts. Either that or you're just ignoring how I'm defining it and insisting on your definition. Don't be caught up by that, though. Always look at how people mean things, not the things they use to signify those things. One of the fundamental issues is that I'm not using those words in a way where the label can be attached to anyone without a comparison to another person who would be described as more or less casual / hardcore.
The implication is that, no matter how much you fundamentally understand about game design, there is always the possibility that you could be in grave error since you've not properly learnt or may be utterly ignorant of the design or depth or complexity and so on of a particular game, therefore can both be a casual in reality and think very highly of oneself. Sadly, this is a sort of mistaken casual elitism (sounds like an oxymoron, I know).
Of course, I grant that, people who know design principles well have an easier time learning, but... what I explain later should help put the above passage in context.
Lastly, there's the tragic implication that one can't pass from a lower understanding into a higher one. This is one of the things I described in a previous post, and I hope by reading them you may see how it applies in relation to what you've posted and what I've posted below.
I'm sure there's a lot more from the other posts that I'm forgetting. Please check them out.

Before we begin, you insult my intelligence in a backhanded manner: "All I read is someone who thinks he knows how game design works..." then lastly you say to try not to insult others' intelligence. Then you assume I've not studied game design outside of Smash Bros. at all. Even if I hadn't, that criticism would be entirely irrelevant, as it's reducible to an ad hominem, the circular insinuation being that, since I'm wrong, I must not have studied enough, and that since I've not studied enough, I'm wrong. Either way, I'm wrong. You're defining yourself into a corner while throwing vicious darts, but you've no recourse when these fail. Now, either I take it as you didn't realize your mistake or that you're deliberately being inconsistent and insulting. I'd prefer the first: I'd rather make a mistake than a hypocrite and hope you think likewise.

Your analogy lacks clarity, however. I'll attempt to elaborate and flavor what you said.
The goal of magnanimous game design is to create as much depth of play with as little complexity as possible, on this we seem to agree.

Good balance, for example, means that one has to be more aware of all the possible options one could execute, thus increasing the breadth of applicable options, but the complexity of the issue is little changed because all the characters fundamentally abide by the same rules, and are roughly consistent and good in communicating to the character how they function and why. In this way, we see that what's most influential on complexity isn't the breadth of knowledge that's required at any given level, but rather how easily that knowledge can be assimilated and applied by a player. The easier something is to grasp, the less complex it appears. Learning and skill development occurs in curves, and complexity goes down as a player's learning and skills go up. Depth is dependent on the player-developed meta, rather it is an expression at each skill level of the variety of viable emergent gameplay. We see in this way that the depth at any particular skill / knowledge level is dependent on the breadth of play at said skill / knowledge level, rather than a player's ability to get to that skill level and knowledge.

Let's go back to that "roughly consistent and good" part in the case of Smash Brothers. I believe what most people mean by "jank" is that something breaks these sorts of expectations and must be learned by rote or as exception to the rules. Rules and expectations are things like "hitboxes will be placed roughly were people would expect them if someone did this attack in real life, so for a kick it would be on the leg as it moved along." One might observer, however, jank may be applied in really cool ways to change the balance or depth of play at a given skill level. Developer's choice once the groundwork is laid is primarily of the question "what can I add that will increase the depth of this game in good proportion to the amount of complexity it introduces?" and moreover the prerequisite: "what is that acceptable proportion?" The clearest example is contained here: "Well, would it be better to wait for us to be able to hook our brains up to control things super easily and directly, or should I go ahead and make this game now with the inherently limited controller?"

Thankfully, Smash Bros. by its design is very intuitive to newer players, as I think we can all attest to. It's very easy to learn most things related to the game, precisely because the focus is less on raw execution thus less on developing muscle memory skills. Unfortunately, we are still limited by the necessity to memorize motions my muscle in order to execute things. As a designer, in my opinion, I'd readily say, however, the incredible, vast ocean of depth that wavedashing implies was far, far worth the moderate difficulty of learning the input. Sakurai might or might not have thought likewise, but that's irrelevant. It directly contradicts what you mean when you say "an accident," because depth and complexity are fundamentally contingent on the mechanics in place and the skill / knowledge of the player. Therefore, the developer's goals are utterly irrelevant to whether something is actually an accident in design or not, since it's not dependent on them. Unless, of course, you're defining accident as anything that's outside of a developer's express intention, which is a pretty silly way of defining it, IMO. Regardless, developers are humans too, and can be incredibly mistaken as to the veracity of the merit of their designs or the designs of others.
Here is an interesting read for those who do not yet understand what depth vs complexity means in for game design (not just digital games)

http://critical-gaming.com/gamedesign101/

look for the depth & complexity articles.

Here is an interesting read for those who do not yet understand what depth vs complexity means in for game design (not just digital games)

http://critical-gaming.com/gamedesign101/

look for the depth & complexity articles.
However related the site may be (I bookmarked it to read later :D) you've once again ignored what I've typed.
Please put in some effort to bring the arguments to the table. Surely you've read those articles? Please give me a brief relation of how it contradicts my claims, and, if such a think can be done, why it should be listened to over me in a way that doesn't appeal to authority or assumptions about education or insult me and instead refutes my words directly, not necessarily how it's related to the topic at hand. I'd prefer a reply of this nature because I feel like I'm being talked at rather than talked to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom