• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] "Thinking About Hitstop"

“Hitstop” is a term used to describe a technique employed primarily in fighting games. When you strike the opponent, both parties momentarily freeze, emphasizing the power of impact. It’s a crucial effect.

Hitstop is a design element that is crucial to play-- both casually and competitively. In this translated column, Smash director Masahiro Sakurai discusses the importance of hitstop and his approach on implementing it in Super Smash Bros. The original column was divided into two parts and published over a two week period. Source Gaming has posted the translated version of the column, which can be read here. The translation was done by @Masked Man (仮面の男) and soma.

In the article, Sakurai discusses how the timing, movements, camera distance, vibration and more are all related to hitstop.

Games in the Dynasty Warriors series don’t employ much hitstop, either, probably because you attack large groups of enemies at once. If the action stopped every single time you landed an attack, you would likely end up frozen for a long time, reducing the overall game speed. Conversely, when you get bit by a Shellcreeper in the original Mario Bros., you and the enemy both freeze, and Mario falls off the screen. This sort of effect could also be considered hitstop in a broader sense of the word.

I employ a lot of hitstop in Super Smash Bros., and I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce the concept. By explaining how I use hitstop to spice up the action, I hope to help you all understand the finer details of this mechanic.
PushDustIn would like to employ hitstop in his daily life so he can catch up on all the things he needs to do. If you enjoyed reading these translations, make sure you follow him or AllSourceGaming on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

I know Hyrule Warriors and the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games actually do have quite a bit of hitstop. It feels good though.

I like that Sakurai takes inspiration from traditional 2D fighters. Strange, considering he seems to want something that's the opposite of a traditional 2D fighter. Who even needs combos amirite?

Is hitstop just another way of saying hitstun?
Stun is the frames at which the person hit is put into unactable frame disadvantage. Hit stop is when the character is pretty much frozen. This happens on the first frame of hitting or getting hit. Most cases its equal on both parties.

You might know it as hitlag.

When Falcon Knee's someone, Ganondorf's Dair, Zelda's kicks, Marth Tipper etc.

When they are hit both the attacker and the person hit are frozen for a bit before they launch off. It if more noticeable on attacks that have the property turned up to 110%.

When they are hit both the attacker and the person hit are frozen for a bit before they launch off. It if more noticeable on attacks that have the property turned up to 110%.
I'd say the best example of hitstop is Lucas' nair

This really helped my understanding of the term. Thanks.

Hitstun and hitstop are different.

Hitstun is how long you're launched back before you can do something. This is what allows true comboes to happen, when you're hit before hitstun is over.

Hitstop is the little time-stopper that happens when an attack lands. A fully charged f-smash will do a noticeable chunk of it, if you're curious.

The best way to experience hitstop, imo, is to compare the Knee of Justice when sweetspotted vs. sourspotted.
I think you meant Zelda's Twinkle Toes sweetspotted vs. sourspotted, sis.

Actually a majority of Zelda's aerials/smashes/specials feature hitstop! So people can easily DI and live forever when she finally hits them.
:secretkpop:

Pls ban Zelda, 2op4us Sack O' Rye.

Coming from 3D fighting games, I used to ****ing despise the mechanic because it screwed with my timing, but I've gotten used to it.

Throw a pikmin on Lucas or Pitt then use Nair, the game slows them down soo much you can run under them and upsmash haha

Well.
More accurately, his philosophy of design isn't magnanimous. He doesn't recognize Melee for the masterpiece it was, and has traveled down a darker path.
Put yourself in his shoes. You are the creator of the hugely succesful and innovative Super Smash Bros franchise.
You've worked your butt off to create this masterpiece Melee and you are now to work on the next installment of the series.
Wouldnt you reflect hours upon hours about your last game and what made it so great?
Wouldnt you research and watch how your player base, casual and competitive alike, are playing your game and analyze what they appreciate?
Of course you would. And of course you would also consider Nintendo policys, the amount of casual players that are among Wii owners, the younger generation that are going to grow up with Brawl and the future of the Smash franchise as a whole.

What you made is the casual friendly version of Smash we know today as Brawl. It sold more than 12.9 million copies (nearly twice as much as your previous game Melee ) and introduced millions of newer Player to the unique feeling of fun from playing Smash bros with there friends. As well as laying the ground work, support and budget the Smash series gets for its next installment 6 years later (where 15 million people will be able to enjoy smash at home and on the go, and the competitive community experience the biggest increase of new Players to date and the transition from underground to mainstream Esports).

Saying Sakurai DOESN'T RECOGNIZE what kind of work he is doing is just an arrogant judgement coming from a member of the competitive community, who is playing a sandbox fighting game after community driven rules and standards, and who "thinks" that knowing how to play-to-win equals designing and balancing a sandbox fighting game of the scale of Smash Bros.

What you get by designing a game from such a perspective is comparable to Rivals of Aether. A Game with generic characters but fun and in depth gameplay mechanics and copied/reused ideas such as respawning on a floating platform, blastzone effects etc.

A game which is loved and appreciatet by its own small hardcore fanbase, but will likely be forgotten by the public and wont inspire future game designers like Smash Bros did.

Last edited:
Y'know, I don't really know what the general opinion of hitstop is, but to me, it's that thing that allows that good feeling to set in.
You know, that feeling.

I disagree. All of the Smash games (and his other works) have their aesthetic flaws, which includes the nauseating amount of hitlag in Brawl and 4.
64 also has it, even moreso I'd say. Melee is the only one that doesn't have much hitlag on moves but that's only because the game is relatively faster in general, so the hitlag also compensates. So no, it isn't a bad design choice at all, it is in fact perfectly adapted to the speed of each respective smash game, it looks great, it FEELS great, It denotes power and intensity! Have you hit someone with Dr. Mario's UpB in Sm4sh? It feels fantastic, it makes you only want to use that move from how ****ing good it feels! That's something almost everyone will enjoy, wether casual or competitive player imo.

I think 9 and maximum power Bucket are the best examples. Both attack's hitstop last for almost a second. It feels incredible.

Last edited:
Well.
Of course I mean now he does. Melee was an intentional masterpiece. :P
More accurately, his philosophy of design isn't magnanimous. He doesn't recognize Melee for the masterpiece it was, and has traveled down a darker path.
Melee is a beautiful accident.

I think you meant Zelda's Twinkle Toes sweetspotted vs. sourspotted, sis.

Actually a majority of Zelda's aerials/smashes/specials feature hitstop! So people can easily DI and live forever when she finally hits them.
:secretkpop:

Pls ban Zelda, 2op4us Sack O' Rye.
I don't disagree, but..."sis"?

Yep, hitstop is great because the truth is, when the game produces one, your senses are basically telling your brain that your opponent, in blunt terms,
just got rekt.
It's just that simple happy feeling that makes you want to do this:

Well, that's just my opinion.​

Yep, hitstop is great because the truth is, when the game produces one, your senses are basically telling your brain that your opponent, in blunt terms,
just got rekt.
It's just that simple happy feeling that makes you want to do this:

Well, that's just my opinion.​
In case you can't see the video, that's CSI's theme song.

Melee is a beautiful accident.
http://smashfts.com/2015/02/09/melee-is-an-accident-i-disagree/
Beautiful aye, accidental no.

Nights Owl Nights Owl JesseMcCloud JesseMcCloud
Put yourself in his shoes. You are the creator of the hugely succesful and innovative Super Smash Bros franchise.
You've worked your butt off to create this masterpiece Melee and you are now to work on the next installment of the series.
Wouldnt you reflect hours upon hours about your last game and what made it so great?
Wouldnt you research and watch how your player base, casual and competitive alike, are playing your game and analyze what they appreciate?
Of course you would. And of course you would also consider Nintendo policys, the amount of casual players that are among Wii owners, the younger generation that are going to grow up with Brawl and the future of the Smash franchise as a whole.

What you made is the casual friendly version of Smash we know today as Brawl. It sold more than 12.9 million copies (nearly twice as much as your previous game Melee ) and introduced millions of newer Player to the unique feeling of fun from playing Smash bros with there friends. As well as laying the ground work, support and budget the Smash series gets for its next installment 6 years later (where 15 million people will be able to enjoy smash at home and on the go, and the competitive community experience the biggest increase of new Players to date and the transition from underground to mainstream Esports).

Saying Sakurai DOESN'T RECOGNIZE what kind of work he is doing is just an arrogant judgement coming from a member of the competitive community, who is playing a sandbox fighting game after community driven rules and standards, and who "thinks" that knowing how to play-to-win equals designing and balancing a sandbox fighting game of the scale of Smash Bros.

What you get by designing a game from such a perspective is comparable to Rivals of Aether. A Game with generic characters but fun and in depth gameplay mechanics and copied/reused ideas such as respawning on a floating platform, blastzone effects etc.

A game which is loved and appreciatet by its own small hardcore fanbase, but will likely be forgotten by the public and wont inspire future game designers like Smash Bros did.
Such a strong condemnation!
Your hypotheticals are for rhetorical purposes only and shed no light onto the actual thought process Sakurai went through in developing Brawl.

Attempting to put the casual first most often results in poor design. Casuals by definition do not delve into the nuance of the game, and stay at a superficial level of understanding.
Therefore, their intuitions and opinions about the game are less founded in the nature of the game and more founded on their whims and feelings.
It's impossible to design 'for the casual,' because of their capricious and inconsistent nature. I'd note here that it's inaccurate to say 'this person is casual' any more than it is to say 'this person is cold.' By that I mean it's a comparative thing: we can only say one person is more or less casual when compared to another person or people on average.
In reality the scale goes from 'good design' to 'bad design.' Good, magnanimous design means creating as much depth as possible with as little complexity as possible. The amount of depth is dependent on the scope of the game and its mechanics.
You falter further in your ridiculous passage on Rivals of Aether: if Sakurai designed Brawl with more depth it'd be a game with Nintendo characters and fun and in depth gameplay mechanics. That ideas are copied / reused from the other Smash Bros. is a given, and we've seen plenty of that in every installment.

Sakurai is wrong in his assumption that designing to appeal to the casual and hardcore is mutually exclusive. That is the dark path I speak of, that's what I mean when I say he doesn't recognize the beauty of the game he'd created, because he misunderstands and thinks that beauty would turn the casual away.

But you further seem to misrepresent me entirely. I don't pretend like everyone should be hardcore. I'm not an elitist. Heck, I'd consider myself casual relative to actual tournament goers.
Casuals have a very clear place. In fact, I welcome them with open arms. They are the vast majority of players, laughing along with us at the zany action. There's nothing wrong with that. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with the hardcore fans of Brawl. Make no mistake, this isn't a condemnation of Brawl and its comparatively poor design, no, this is a sorrowful sigh at what Sakurai could have done.

The reason Brawl had a larger installation base was the prestige of the series itself combined with the growth of the video game market, not because the casuals all looked at the gameplay trailers and said 'wow, this game looks floaty and slow, just my style!'
If Brawl's gameplay design was like Melee's, there'd be no way to link, by way of causation, that fact to lesser sales.
I'd wager that, in this fantasy universe, the sales would only have grown, and after-production demand would be greater than ever.
But, again, these are hypotheticals.
However, I have an actual backing to my hypotheticals: Melee has survived where Brawl died. Smash 4's hardcore following is growing, and is much more like Melee than Brawl in its design.

@CrossoverMan @MOI-ARI Ramz289 Ramz289 @JBRPG @KingPinGamez sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬] sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬] @Mr. ShinyUmbreon
Edit: Oops, forgot @Munomario777 and @mobilisq

Last edited:
Please don't quote me when I like a post, it's extremely vexing when people do that. If I wanted to engage in conversation I would have replied.
Aye, what he said.
Understandable. I'll try to remember.
However I will continue this practice in general, as it's not inherently vexing, and I had no way of knowing that it'd displease either of you in particular.
I have hopes of reaching open-minded people who are willing to be challenged / engaged.

Last edited:
Such a strong condemnation!
Your hypotheticals are for rhetorical purposes only and shed no light onto the actual thought process Sakurai went through in developing Brawl.

Attempting to put the casual first most often results in poor design. Casuals by definition do not delve into the nuance of the game, and stay at a superficial level of understanding.
Therefore, their intuitions and opinions about the game are less founded in the nature of the game and more founded on their whims and feelings.
It's impossible to design 'for the casual,' because of their capricious and inconsistent nature. I'd note here that it's inaccurate to say 'this person is casual' any more than it is to say 'this person is cold.' By that I mean it's a comparative thing: we can only say one person is more or less casual when compared to another person or people on average.
In reality the scale goes from 'good design' to 'bad design.' Good, magnanimous design means creating as much depth as possible with as little complexity as possible. The amount of depth is dependent on the scope of the game and its mechanics.
You falter further in your ridiculous passage on Rivals of Aether: if Sakurai designed Brawl with more depth it'd be a game with Nintendo characters and fun and in depth gameplay mechanics. That ideas are copied / reused from the other Smash Bros. is a given, and we've seen plenty of that in every installment.

Sakurai is wrong in his assumption that designing to appeal to the casual and hardcore is mutually exclusive. That is the dark path I speak of, that's what I mean when I say he doesn't recognize the beauty of the game he'd created, because he misunderstands and thinks that beauty would turn the casual away.

But you further seem to misrepresent me entirely. I don't pretend like everyone should be hardcore. I'm not an elitist. Heck, I'd consider myself casual relative to actual tournament goers.
Casuals have a very clear place. In fact, I welcome them with open arms. They are the vast majority of players, laughing along with us at the zany action. There's nothing wrong with that. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with the hardcore fans of Brawl. Make no mistake, this isn't a condemnation of Brawl and its comparatively poor design, no, this is a sorrowful sigh at what Sakurai could have done.

The reason Brawl had a larger installation base was the prestige of the series itself combined with the growth of the video game market, not because the casuals all looked at the gameplay trailers and said 'wow, this game looks floaty and slow, just my style!'
If Brawl's gameplay design was like Melee's, there'd be no way to link, by way of causation, that fact to lesser sales.
I'd wager that, in this fantasy universe, the sales would only have grown, and after-production demand would be greater than ever.
But, again, these are hypotheticals.
However, I have an actual backing to my hypotheticals: Melee has survived where Brawl died. Smash 4's hardcore following is growing, and is much more like Melee than Brawl in its design.
It was indeed a strong condemnation which i felt like it was nescessary after reading your judgement on Sakurai's thought process, stating that he doesn't recognize what kind of game Melee was.
If you feel offended by it, i deeply apologize for it as it was absolutley not my intention even though i was very aware of my harsh tone.

But you seem to misinterpret some points of mine too. My hypotheticals are truely not "for rhethorical purposes only". It's merely a way for me to grasp Sakurai's thoughts using common sense, without the need to judge, misinterpret or overstate any of his design decisions.
Because that's the difference in our perspective and where we are coming from: I don't dare (for lack of a better word) trying to judge Sakurai and make assumptions on his actual thoughts, but you do.
In fact you expect me to "shed light onto the actual thought process Sakurai went through in developing Brawl."
There is no way i could do that! I'm only 21 years old and have been studying Game design for merely 2 years. This man has more work experience than i have life experience and i respect that fact.
And i believe that no one should make such bold assumptions on someone else's thoughts when they have such little insight (because you are probably coming from a consumers point of view like i do).

"Attempting to put the casual first most often results in poor design. Casuals by definition do not delve into the nuance of the game, and stay at a superficial level of understanding.
Therefore, their intuitions and opinions about the game are less founded in the nature of the game and more founded on their whims and feelings."

This statement is a perfect example of how you think a casual's individual opinion is less worth than a hardcore's individual opinion and from what kind of view you are perceiving things(i get that you are not a super hardcore player).
By "level of understanding" and "nature of the game" a competitive player understands things like: camping, baiting, zoning, momentum even edgehogging etc. which are advanced strategy concepts if you will. Then there are advanced techniques which get discovered by applying the game mechanical knowledge+ experimenting in the lab. Stuff like cancelling moves which can offer more options in certain scenarios etc.

But that's NOT the nature of the game.It's the nature of 1vs1/2vs2 w/o Items on specific Stages with a certain time limit and the goal to play to win no matter what.
Smash Bros is a freaking SANDBOX FIGHTER.It got a ton of different playmodes. You could play Coin Smash or time attack, or special brawl, with or without items, hell you dont even need to play multiplayer. There is Target smash and Classic mode and Challenges and even a story mode with the sub emmisary.
And the nature of sandbox game is to play like you want to!
There is no denying in that! And only because Sakurai is clearly considering that fact is why we keep getting those different play modes. If he would'nt "put the casual first" we would have never gotten the Sub Space emmisary, as this game mode demanded A LOT of the developement ressources, and it's clearly not a "poor design choice" as there will be millions of people who tell you otherwise.

And that's what i tried to emphasize with my comparison with Rivals of Aether which you find so ridiculous.

"Sakurai is wrong in his assumption that designing to appeal to the casual and hardcore is mutually exclusive."
Again such a bold statement. He doesn't design for any of his audience mutually exclusive. The Developers from Rivals of Aether do: neutral stages,Stocks,no items,vs mode,Online mode, etc.
But Sakurai is designing his game to be as customizable as possible, with a (can't deny that) slight emphasis on the casual side, or should i say more beginner friendly?

Anyway just imagine this: Brawl would be super in depth and balanced, while still mantaining all of the other "casual" features and game modes and even emphasized Hardcore gamemodes like Online with for fun and a proper for glory ranking system.
Now there is this Newcomer to the series. He is the king of the neighborhood like we all were someday.He is constantly rekking his friends with his Ganondorf Final Smash and Item usage.He is having a blast with this game. than he goes Online and gets utterly destroyed by people who are edgehogging him. He thinks this is a stupid, unfair tactics that only cowards would use.
But he also doesnt want to drop Ganondorf because he loves the character and takes a lot of pride in him
The other guys feels perfectly fine with his wins and they both start to engulf in a name calling tag war.
Do you think this is what Sakurai wanted?
Brawl might have selled so well because of the prestige of the series but what about Smash 4? When the casuals know that Brawl is "even more hardcore then the super technical Melee" and that Smash 4 is going to be even more in depth then Brawl?
I'll tell you a lot of my friends wouldn't buy this game, they would be as much interested in the new smash as they are now for the upcoming streetfighter 5. Or the latest Mortal Kombat.
But don't take my friends word for it. Just look at the developement of fighting game history. Smash Bros really stands out in terms of Sales and casual audience. This huge success doesn't come from nothing and especially not from " poor/bad design choices".

It was indeed a strong condemnation which i felt like it was nescessary after reading your judgement on Sakurai's thought process, stating that he doesn't recognize what kind of game Melee was.
If you feel offended by it, i deeply apologize for it as it was absolutley not my intention even though i was very aware of my harsh tone.
Thank you for your concern, but, sir, please! I'm not so soft~
I'd prefer it if everyone always had a polite / calm tone all the time, though. It helps to remove emotion and less than rational thought from lots of situations. :P
Here, I suppose I should make a concession. Sakurai might have seen Melee for what it was. I've been denying the possibility that he'd both know good design and deliberately choose to go away from it due to other considerations.

But you seem to misinterpret some points of mine too. My hypotheticals are truely not "for rhethorical purposes only". It's merely a way for me to grasp Sakurai's thoughts using common sense, without the need to judge, misinterpret or overstate any of his design decisions.
I'll trust you that they're not for rhetorical purposes only.
Again, said hypotheticals shed no light on Sakurai's thought process. I could just as easily turn it around on you and say "Wouldn't it make sense for Sakurai to do this because you'd do this?" Even though I wouldn't, and he wouldn't necessarily. They're assertions that are posited as proof.

Because that's the difference in our perspective and where we are coming from: I don't dare (for lack of a better word) trying to judge Sakurai and make assumptions on his actual thoughts, but you do.
In fact you expect me to "shed light onto the actual thought process Sakurai went through in developing Brawl."
There is no way i could do that! I'm only 21 years old and have been studying Game design for merely 2 years. This man has more work experience than i have life experience and i respect that fact.
And i believe that no one should make such bold assumptions on someone else's thoughts when they have such little insight (because you are probably coming from a consumers point of view like i do).
Au contraire! You seem to judge Sakurai: you judge him positively. If your hypotheticals are any indication, you're making plenty of assumptions.
As implied, you'd have to shed light onto his actual thought process in order for your assertions to hold any weight.

But there is a way you could shed light onto the actual thought process. Amen, I say to you, we have such wonderful things as sourcegaming.info 's vast library of translations at our disposal! You see, I've not been making assumptions all along. Rather, my thoughts have been grounded in the literature and words of Sakurai himself, as we'll see below.

"Attempting to put the casual first most often results in poor design. Casuals by definition do not delve into the nuance of the game, and stay at a superficial level of understanding.
Therefore, their intuitions and opinions about the game are less founded in the nature of the game and more founded on their whims and feelings."
This statement is a perfect example of how you think a casual's individual opinion is less worth than a hardcore's individual opinion and from what kind of view you are perceiving things(i get that you are not a super hardcore player).
By "level of understanding" and "nature of the game" a competitive player understands things like: camping, baiting, zoning, momentum even edgehogging etc. which are advanced strategy concepts if you will. Then there are advanced techniques which get discovered by applying the game mechanical knowledge+ experimenting in the lab. Stuff like cancelling moves which can offer more options in certain scenarios etc.

But that's NOT the nature of the game.It's the nature of 1vs1/2vs2 w/o Items on specific Stages with a certain time limit and the goal to play to win no matter what.
Smash Bros is a freaking SANDBOX FIGHTER.It got a ton of different playmodes. You could play Coin Smash or time attack, or special brawl, with or without items, hell you dont even need to play multiplayer. There is Target smash and Classic mode and Challenges and even a story mode with the sub emmisary.
And the nature of sandbox game is to play like you want to!

There is no denying in that! And only because Sakurai is clearly considering that fact is why we keep getting those different play modes. If he would'nt "put the casual first" we would have never gotten the Sub Space emmisary, as this game mode demanded A LOT of the developement ressources, and it's clearly not a "poor design choice" as there will be millions of people who tell you otherwise.

And that's what i tried to emphasize with my comparison with Rivals of Aether which you find so ridiculous.
Thank you. You've helped me to understand my perspective more from this criticism. I'll clarify, then.
I'm gonna stick to my definition of casual and hardcore. The addition would be there are different types of hardcore players. One to 1v1s, another to 4p FFAs with items on, and so on.
But you'll quickly see that designing for these two is not mutually exclusive precisely because we can play by our own rules, as you rightly put. All one'd have to do is put more modes in. In fact, that's what Sakurai said and did. See below.

But you share the blame where Rivals of Aether is concerned. Your initial language implied something very different from what you're saying now, at least as I understood it.
Further, in the sense that developing different modes takes resources such as time, money, and effort, developing for the different audiences is mutually exclusive.
Obviously, this sort of thing should enter into our considerations, and has for Sakurai. I'll blame a lack of clarity on my part for this misunderstanding.

"Sakurai is wrong in his assumption that designing to appeal to the casual and hardcore is mutually exclusive."
Again such a bold statement. He doesn't design for any of his audience mutually exclusive. The Developers from Rivals of Aether do: neutral stages,Stocks,no items,vs mode,Online mode, etc.
But Sakurai is designing his game to be as customizable as possible, with a (can't deny that) slight emphasis on the casual side, or should i say more beginner friendly?
You'd be wrong to frame it as "more beginner friendly." As we've seen, the different modes are for different audiences. It'd make sense that the mode designed for a subset of players would be less amenable to their learning process than the one designed with them in mind.

We clearly see Sakurai's mindset changed over time from this to something else.
An interview from 2001: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/11/05/nintendodreamssbm2/
Here he clearly sees the variety of game modes he included in Melee as avenues to different sorts of players. Melee was a great game for every sort of hardcore player, as well as towards casuals who'd experience a wide variety of flavors, modes, and bells and whistles.
"Sakurai: That objective hasn’t changed one bit. You can play it casually, but you can also really get into it.

Interviewer: Just as you said.

Sakurai: However, because there are a lot of components where you can really play seriously and get into it, I do worry that it’ll be perceived or treated as a difficult game… However, a lot of elements were added, and with those additions came additional goals of mine, too…I don’t know how to say it exactly."

What we see happening over time is that he, wrongly, thinks the legacy of Melee is as a game too difficult:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/29/lookingbackonmelee/
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/sakuraimelee/

Anyway just imagine this: Brawl would be super in depth and balanced, while still mantaining all of the other "casual" features and game modes and even emphasized Hardcore gamemodes like Online with for fun and a proper for glory ranking system.
Now there is this Newcomer to the series. He is the king of the neighborhood like we all were someday.He is constantly rekking his friends with his Ganondorf Final Smash and Item usage.He is having a blast with this game. than he goes Online and gets utterly destroyed by people who are edgehogging him. He thinks this is a stupid, unfair tactics that only cowards would use.
But he also doesnt want to drop Ganondorf because he loves the character and takes a lot of pride in him
The other guys feels perfectly fine with his wins and they both start to engulf in a name calling tag war.
Do you think this is what Sakurai wanted?
I don't imagine Sakurai'd be so short sighted to think such name calling and scrubbery wouldn't happen regardless.
If there is any way at all to play the game differently, or better in a competitive context, there will always be people being ****ters and whining. That depends far more on the culture base of the consumer than any of a game's mechanics, though I acknowledge they can exacerbate them.
The only way to solve that is to separate those parties. This is the essence of "For Fun vs For Glory," and one of Smash 4's greatest successes towards its wide array of hardcore audiences. Never once in my 500 or so online Smash 4 battles have I seen tag flaming wars in either game mode, honestly. Maybe I haven't played enough?

Lastly, do you really want to design all your modes with the lowest common denominator? Someone being a sourpuss is their problem, and I'm of the mind such behavior shouldn't be catered to at the detriment of others. They have the mode designed for them, that they choose not to engage in that mode is sad for them, as they'd have much more fun, and their pride in thinking they ought to win at all modes shouldn't be.
Besides, they'd get wrecked anyways as long as there's any skill involved, something Brawl did require a lot of.

Brawl might have selled so well because of the prestige of the series but what about Smash 4? When the casuals know that Brawl is "even more hardcore then the super technical Melee" and that Smash 4 is going to be even more in depth then Brawl?
I'll tell you a lot of my friends wouldn't buy this game, they would be as much interested in the new smash as they are now for the upcoming streetfighter 5. Or the latest Mortal Kombat.
But don't take my friends word for it. Just look at the developement of fighting game history. Smash Bros really stands out in terms of Sales and casual audience. This huge success doesn't come from nothing and especially not from " poor/bad design choices".
Please don't conflate my argument. I'm not saying that Brawl succeeded because of bad design choices, I'm saying that it succeeded in spite of said choices.
As a casual game, and as a hardcore game towards 4p FFA types, Brawl had tons of successful features and design.
However, Sakurai, because of his changing perspective on Melee, and his failure to see what we both see above, has not designed magnanimously for the expansion of all audiences.
He's disfavored the hardcore 1v1 and 2v2 audiences by designing poorly where he didn't have to.

Now, my next assertion is based on anecdotal evidence, but consider how many people are in the competitive Smash community and know of Melee's hardcore "nature" (in quotes because we've agreed there's no singular right way or one mode to play, thus many natures). In my experience, even my most competitive of friends from long ago, when I brought up EVO or any of the gods to them, One reaction was "oh, yeah, I've heard of that," vaguely, and when pressed for details couldn't say much more beyond some basics, the other being "no, I don't."
I'm wagering the vast majority of casual players, and most of the personally hardcore players simply haven't cared after all this time. They've had their fun and moved on. It's one specific subset which hears about the competitive community, and most in my experience are open to it and not close-minded boobs.

As Bastiat said: "you will oblige me to call out, 'Stop there! your theory is confined to that which is seen; it takes no account of that which is not seen.'"

Last edited:
[...] Sakurai is wrong in his assumption that designing to appeal to the casual and hardcore is mutually exclusive. That is the dark path I speak of, that's what I mean when I say he doesn't recognize the beauty of the game he'd created, because he misunderstands and thinks that beauty would turn the casual away. [...]
This is so true, back in 2002 I was the definition of casual. 12 years old teenager who liked to play SSB with friends, 4-players and items on during all weekends. The same thing happened with Melee, we were just having fun unlocking everything, playing whatever character we wanted with items and just having a good time.

Fast forward a few years later, I went on YouTube and saw some random SSBM combo videos. I was like: "Whoa, people can do that? I had no idea this game IS THIS DEEP".

That motivated me to learn the game to its fullest. It's 2015 now and I still play SSBM to this day, it's the best competitive game I have played and at the same time gave me the funnest experience anyone could have if they just want to boot up the game and play casually. I haven't touched Brawl for years, and I barely play SSB4.

I still think the next installment of the franchise can be super deep and competitive and at the same time casual. Look at Dota 2 as an example, it is mostly balanced around the competitive scene. Yet the majority of the players are casuals who just like the game (myself included).

This is so true, back in 2002 I was the definition of casual. 12 years old teenager who liked to play SSB with friends, 4-players and items on during all weekends. The same thing happened with Melee, we were just having fun unlocking everything, playing whatever character we wanted with items and just having a good time.

Fast forward a few years later, I went on YouTube and saw some random SSBM combo videos. I was like: "Whoa, people can do that? I had no idea this game IS THIS DEEP".

That motivated me to learn the game to its fullest. It's 2015 now and I still play SSBM to this day, it's the best competitive game I have played and at the same time gave me the funnest experience anyone could have if they just want to boot up the game and play casually. I haven't touched Brawl for years, and I barely play SSB4.

I still think the next installment of the franchise can be super deep and competitive and at the same time casual. Look at Dota 2 as an example, it is mostly balanced around the competitive scene. Yet the majority of the players are casuals who just like the game (myself included).
An inspiring story :D

I should keep this in mind: it's possible to switch between statuses! The casual won't necessarily hate the hardcore when he contacts it.
He would if he was an elitist! Thankfully it appears most people aren't. <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom