• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

mojack

Smash Rookie
  1. Did Arcfire (Robin's SideB work fast enough to follow up, or was it more for edgeguarding?
  2. Did Elwind (Robin's UpB) send him into recovery freefall, or could he act out of it?
  3. Purely as speculation, do you think Cstick input would use the smash aerials or the standard aerials?
  4. Did Thunder charge and store like Samus's beam (press to charge, again to fire), or like Diddy's gun (hold to charge, release to fire)?
  5. Does the Bronze Sword (Robin's 'normal' sword as opposed to the Levin Sword) feel particularly weaker than most characters' corresponding attacks, or did it feel fairly average?
1. If by follow up you mean stun lock your opponent in the flame long enough to act on then yes, it was fast enough. Plenty enough time to run up and do something else.

2. Sorry I don't remember that particular detail.

3. I feel like the Cstick will be his standard aerial since the Cstick is like a flick and for his aerial smashed you need to hold the input.

4. You can store the charge. You can also charge it in intervals like Samus's and also lose the charge if hit while charging just like Samus. You retain if hit while not charging.

5. Bronze sword had significantly weaker KO power but good combo potential.

Aaronrules380

Smash Rookie
Couid we get details on how Shulk felt to play as? Also, how noticeable were his mode changes when used?

JayCB

Smash Rookie
Reposting for new page, and as he's one of the character we've had nothing on so far - Any Pikacku stuff barring alt colours? Mosty just want to know if his air game feels like Melee or Brawl, but anything would be great.

D

Deleted member 245254

These are not all the colour/alts tho... as you can see almost no one has 8 swaps revealed. So I'm holding out for many more incoming..
Some characters actually have.

Little Mac has 16, 8 for his wireframe version and normal model.

Olimar has 4 dedicated to changing his model to Alph.

I counted 8 on a few characters. I just don't remember all the colors since, like god, it's pretty hard ya know.

PaperJames

Smash Rookie
Any explanation on the paper mario stage would be awesome. If you played it, how many transitions are there, and if so what were they? thanks :D

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
There were indications from Famitsu that Force Palm was now Lucario's neutral B, while Aura Sphere, seemingly now his side B, would not charge and instead have its size determined by Lucario's Aura. Did you see anything to confirm or deny any of this?
This is the first time I've heard this... I'd be interested if it could be confirmed or contradicted as well.
Actually found the thing about Flare Blitz dealing recoil twice.

Edit: I could be misreading it though. Might be that it deals 10% damage to the foe when it hits, since the wording is a little unclear.
:) Thanks for looking, though I actually think the wording of that post you quoted seems to clearly say it self-damages twice. Whether that's correct is a different question though, I suppose.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
How did standard Mario's kill potential feel? As a character is he generally buffed from Brawl or do the system mechanics just benefit him better here?

D

Deleted member

First of all, thank you so much for doing this!

Second, I have a few questions about Luigi (assuming he was on the starting roster and you played as him):

1. Does he have any new color swaps/costume swaps?
2. I heard that back in the E3 demo you could cancel Green Missile after it was fully charged. Is this in the final build?
3. How different was he compared to how he was in Brawl?

Thanks!

Emberino

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just made a Smashboards account thanks to you!

Now, I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but I want to know if there's anything new about the Paper Mario stage. I doubt you've seen any more phases, but how does it change phase? And what music plays?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
All characters have 8, so using other Smash games as a reference...
1. Default Mario
2. Blue Mario
3. Wario Mario
4. Fire Mario
5. The weird dark-grey/black-ish Mario that's been in every Smash
6. Green/Brown Mario
7. NEW: Blue/Pink Mario (known since e3)
8. NEW: NES Golf "American" Mario
So there you go, probably wont be getting any more
"Thanks Fox" - Peppy Hare

ACSL8R

Smash Rookie
NNID
ACSL8R
3DS FC
2595-2135-0990
How is Rosalina? (If you did play as her)
How are the costumes?

D

Deleted member 245254

Reposting for new page, and as he's one of the character we've had nothing on so far - Any Pikacku stuff barring alt colours? Mosty just want to know if his air game feels like Melee or Brawl, but anything would be great.
Pikachu's electricity hitboxes seem to create (like his fair, dair) more hitstun, it felt like Smash 64 version of those attacks.

His tail uptilt is legendary.

His bair is still kinda...eh...awkward to do with a bad landing lag but it didn't feel any worse than brawl. Quick attack is kinda tough on a circle pad (it was for the small time I played pikachu).

Pikachu does amazingly with pivot cancel forward tilt, the kick comes out really fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Clarifying a few things.

When I said circle pad, I did not mean the circle pad pro (in the OP). There was no circle pad pro available for us to use. I don't even know if it's compatible but I've read it's not.

Also, Shulks Monado stance changing is done by pressing B to flip through the different stances, then confirming which one you want to swap to. There's an animation for it, but it's short. He just goes "hiyah" and pumps his sword and he changes color.
How do the inputs work? If you use B to flip the stances, how do you confirm? How many of them did you try out?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Another thing I forgot to ask, this time about Falcon. We know his Knee is powerful but has huge end lag, but what about his stomp? Can he act quickly out of dair or is it strictly for meteor kills now?

pikachufan2222

Smash Rookie
Gonna go ahead and repost this. Is Kirby any good? In fact how are all the "top tiers" from the E3 build?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Another thing I forgot to ask, this time about Falcon. We know his Knee is powerful but has huge end lag, but what about his stomp? Can he act quickly out of dair or is it strictly for meteor kills now?
Stomp has pretty bad lag too if you land on the ground during it.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Thanks for answering all these questions!

You guys have revealed a lot of hype inducing things but I'm curious, what was the most disappointing thing you came across in the demo?

Revven

FrankerZ
You mentioned Meta Knight's attacks have actual start-up now. However, what I want to know is do his tilts, smash attacks, and aerials still have laser priority? Laser priority is what it says on the tin, his attacks act like Falco's lasers and cannot be clanked/clashed and he cannot attack projectiles like Samus' missiles. Do you remember seeing MK ever clanking or clashing with any attacks? In Brawl, the only attacks that could clank were Tornado (that's what it allowed it to have the "priority" it had) and Drill Rush.

Speaking of the Tornado, you said it doesn't last as long and it doesn't rise anymore. What I want to know is, does it still do 22% despite dealing less hits? And, also, did anyone try (when you played as MK) to challenge the Tornado? If not then I guess you probably don't know if it has laser priority like his other attacks. I want to know because what Project M did to fix MK's tornado "priority" was by giving it laser priority, meaning characters could throw out hitboxes and at worst they would just trade with the tornado (taking only a couple of % but knocking MK out of the tornado).

You say that low% combos are possible, but low% combos existed to some degree in Brawl -- how low% are we talking? 20%? 50%? Sheik's Ftilt in Brawl, for example, could lock characters until 50% and then the characters would start to go into their tumble state (higher %age and all). Is the threshold 50% where things start to become harder to combo? Also, would you say that there's a chance to combo into a finisher at higher %s?

One other thing, did you notice if you could DI normally at low%s? In Brawl, you couldn't DI during the non-tumble state and that's what lead to things like DDD's chaingrab being a thing. Is DI'ing reimplemented into the non-tumble state or could you not notice while you were playing?

Oh and is there any shield drop lag like in Melee? Or, is the shield drop more like Brawl? What about shieldstun? Could you shieldgrab almost everything that hit your shield?

That's all I got right now. I imagine most of this will probably be better answered next week but I thought I'd try anyway (especially since more people are just asking you about colors...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did Ike have blue flames? sorry if this was already asked.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Yo Zipzo, I don't have any questions, but I just want to give you a HUGE thank-you for doing all this work and answering everyone's (sometimes extremely specific) questions. You're the MVP in the Smash community right now.

Last edited:

mojack

Smash Rookie
So Ike fights for his friends still?
The Japanese voice actually translated to "I fight for everyone" but I never played Japanese Brawl so I don't know if he said the same thing then which would probably mean his english voice would say "friends".

How is Rosalina? (If you did play as her)
How are the costumes?
I thought Rosalina would be really tricky but she was actually fairly simple. The first match I won was with her. That said, she's definitely an "easy to pick up, hard to master" character. When Luma is with Rosalina her attacks are very strong. High % and good KO power. When you want to start zoning people or edge guarding, that's when you send Luma out. By their selves they don't really have much KO power but they can rack up the damage. Her neutral B, which sends Luma out, also has quite a lot of KO power is charged all the way I noticed. Rosalina's Fair also have quite the deceptive range and is a good anti-air. If Luma gets killed, which happens fairly often, it respawns after 10 or 15 seconds. Didn't see her costumes, though, sorry.

Last edited:

OKALRIGHT

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this was asked already or not, but is Villager any different than from the E3 build?

Top Bottom