• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's new moves in smash 4

ISMAN0310

Smash Rookie
I personally think Sakurai should take a look at project m and make smash 4 sonic similar to the one in project m. If not give his side-b a tornado and his forward-air his sonic eagle from sonic battle. Also some good knockback from his attacks would be great at higher percents. Tell me what you think should be added to improve our favorite blue hedgehog.

Last edited:

HypaSonic

Final Smasher
I personally think Sakurai should take a look at project m and make smash 4 sonic similar to the one in project m. If not give his side-b a tornado and his forward-air his sonic eagle from sonic battle. Also some good knockback from his attacks would be great at higher percents. Tell me what you think should be added to improve our favorite blue hedgehog.
It would be great to up him like they did in Project M, but he wasn't too bad in Brawl either, he was implemented late, so they didn't focus on him too much. But hopefully his moveset is buffed in Smash 4, in which case would help him.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Those buffed up moves looked great. Hopefully they aren't custom moves like Sakurai was discussing. Need a video breakdown.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Did anyone else notice Sonic cancelling out of his taunt to Up+B?

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Did anyone else notice Sonic cancelling out of his taunt to Up+B?
I had to replay that part because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Either the taunt was sped up or he really did cancel out of it with the Up Special. Either way the pieces of footage with Sonic were all really great. Shows how much Sakurai worked on him.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I had to replay that part because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Either the taunt was sped up or he really did cancel out of it with the Up Special. Either way the pieces of footage with Sonic were all really great. Shows how much Sakurai worked on him.
When they said they were going for complete balance, they really weren't kidding. Sonic's looking awesome.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I wonder if the SD hop will still have iframes... Either way, it's so much faster now. Like... SOOOOO much faster.

And that part where Sonic does a SD -> SDr -> SDj -> Uair -> Dair -> Spring... Too epic.

Oh, and Dair now spikes when sweetspotted. Holy crap.

The only downside is that I'll probably have to get used to Sonic dittos 'cause the bandwagon is inevitable.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
And like your signature says there really isn't anything as boring as Sonic dittos. Though the game play speed didn't really help. Decent game speeds + power/combo buffs = faster games.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Hopefully you're right. Sonic dittos were such a bore due to all the need to bait and very little reward thanks to Sonic's awesome recovery and weak KO power...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I'll list off all of the Sonic buffs I think I see, and assuming the Sonic we saw was the default moveset :

-Faster running speed
-Faster comboing
-MUCH faster down B, he shot across Windy Hill in a second
-Side B comes out REALLY fast now, no more slow-mo hop at the start of the move
-Attack range seems better, his limbs reach out a bit farther
-Down Aerial is now a spike

Yeah, if this is all the case, no way will he ever leave my list of mains.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's moves shown off in the Smash Bros Direct if you guys want to check them out again:

5:30
Side B

5:43 (Bottom right corner)
Normal Air
Up Tilt

6:00
Forward Air
Up Air
Back Air
Delayed Running Attack

9:23
Neutral B

10:36
Up Tilt
Spring + late Down Air

17:31 (On the left before Samus Zero Laser)
Up Smash
Up Tilt

22:37
Side B combos + Up Air + Down Air + Spring

25:55
Neutral B

Do you guys have any more thoughts and speculations on these attacks/moves they have shown us so far? Strength, speed, reach, priority, predictability, combo possibilities etc. And what about the moves they haven't shown us yet?

Edit: Added Delayed Running Attack (Right before 6:09 mark)

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Yeah out of all the moves I was hoping that Homing Attack would get some kind of fix. Primarily using PM's trajectory. I mean why does it still loop around the world in eighty days just to hit the opponent in the back leg <__<

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
IMO, the Homing Attack should be either Project M styled, or kept like it was in Brawl, but with near Falcon Punch levels of knockback to make it's wind up and poor accuracy feel justified. In all honesty, the Homing Attack makes perfect sense as a killing move, because Sonic uses it to take out enemies all the time. In Unleashed and Generations, enemies would actually be sent flying before exploding, and I'm pretty sure Eggman's robots would be heavier than a good portion of the Smash cast.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I agree that it would be a very good killing option. Keeping that in mind the lack of accuracy would make sense. Suppose if they were to go in that direction many of the Sonic players would feel at ease knowing they have another KO tool.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I wonder how customized movesets could affect the Homing Attack?

EDIT: Also this picture confirms his down taunt remains the breakdance.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wonder how customized movesets could affect the Homing Attack?

EDIT: Also this picture confirms his down taunt remains the breakdance.
That actually looks more like the charge up animation for his Up Smash, but the breakdance taunt was already seen in footage IIRC.

As for custom versions of the Homing Attack, I would want it to be something like:

-Default: Just like the Brawl one, but shorter start up and higher damage output, and mid ranged, as well as being a bit more accurate.
-Fast version: Little to no start up time, really accurate and has longest range. However, it hardly does any damage and does not make the opponent even flinch. It can be comboed out of on hit though, making it more of an effective chase tool.
-Strong version: Basically the Brawl version exactly, although maybe extend the charge time, but with near Falcon Punch levels of knockback, making it a good killing move. Most effective after having juggled the opponent into the air.

Last edited:

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
HA still seems to have that stupid way to lock on (goes for the target's "back").
Yeah, I don't like that at all. I was hoping that Sakurai would improve the accuracy on the Homing Attack this time around. The game is still subject to change though so I'm hoping that he will either make it more precise with a faster wind up time or that it has improved knockback justifying the bad aim just like Sonicbrawler182 said. If the knockback was better I wouldn't mind the bad aim and wind up as much.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Taking a look at the homing attack at 9:23, Sonic seems to have gusts surrounding him as he charges up. Do you suppose these have hitboxes or do y'all think they're just aesthetics?

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Taking a look at the homing attack at 9:23, Sonic seems to have gusts surrounding him as he charges up. Do you suppose these have hitboxes or do y'all think they're just aesthetics?

Wow, I totally missed that one. Adding it to my original post.

I think the new look of the wind up is for aesthetic purposes only but I do hope that it does have hit boxes of it's own. I personally feel that most of his spinning moves needs to be revamped a bit for more hit boxes or better priority.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Wow, I totally missed that one. Adding it to my original post.

I think the new look of the wind up is for aesthetic purposes only but I do hope that it does have hit boxes of it's own. I personally feel that most of his spinning moves needs be revamped a bit for more hit boxes or better priority.
I think the Spin Charge should hit multiple times when revving it on top of someone, like it did in Project M.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Homing Attack with multi-lock features, a-la Sonic Lost World.

A slightly slower Spin Dash, with heavy armor to compensate for the speed loss.

Spring set at a 45 degree angle, reminiscent of the angled springs here and there in Genesis stages.

Seems doable.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Homing Attack with multi-lock features, a-la Sonic Lost World.

A slightly slower Spin Dash, with heavy armor to compensate for the speed loss.

Spring set at a 45 degree angle, reminiscent of the angled springs here and there in Genesis stages.

Seems doable.
Spin Dash with the ability to blast off with a fire shield, quicker and more powerful but takes longer to charge, therefore making you more vulnerable.

Spring can be used to meteor smash by the opponent directly under it bouncing off the underside of it, but you're left in free fall, and fall quickly as well.

EDIT: I checked the photo above and compared it to the animation of Sonic's Down taunt, turns out I was right. Right as the taunt begins you can see this.
taunt.png
Btw, we haven't seen it in any SSB4 footage yet either.

Last edited:

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Sonic looks to be much better in this version. He was usable in Brawl but definitely deserves this upgrade. I've watched his clips so many times from the direct. I'm glad they're keeping both the Spin Dash and Spin Charge.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Sonic looks to be much better in this version. He was usable in Brawl but definitely deserves this upgrade. I've watched his clips so many times from the direct. I'm glad they're keeping both the Spin Dash and Spin Charge.
Was kinda hoping Spin Dash as the side-special would be changed, but since he got buffs all around I think it's alright.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Was kinda hoping Spin Dash as the side-special would be changed, but since he got buffs all around I think it's alright.
When I played him for the first time in Brawl I wondered why he had two of the same move but after awhile I realized how they were different. I enjoy mixing it up and confusing people I'm playing against =D

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
When I played him for the first time in Brawl I wondered why he had two of the same move but after awhile I realized how they were different. I enjoy mixing it up and confusing people I'm playing against =D
Yeah that's one of the best things about him. The moves allow for mindgames. In Smash 4, well... guess people gotta react faster now

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
The only real use I have for the Side B in Brawl is turning it into a Spin Shot for better recovery. I don't feel like it's reliable enough for proper mind games against skilled players to be perfectly honest although I still use it occasionally. It seems to have improved immensely now though so I'm wondering what new properties it will bring to the table.

Edit: Btw, Something I really hope has also been improved on is the spin jump straight up in the air from the Side B. I actually think that might have been Sonic's weakest attack in the whole game and I found no good use for it whatsoever. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only real use I have for the Side B in Brawl is turning it into a Spin Shot for better recovery. I don't feel like it's reliable enough for proper mind games against skilled players to be perfectly honest although I still use it occasionally. It seems to have improved immensely now though so I'm wondering what new properties it will bring to the table.

Edit: Btw, Something I really hope has also been improved on is the spin jump straight up in the air from the Side B. I actually think that might have been Sonic's weakest attack in the whole game and I found no good use for it whatsoever. What do you guys think?
If you mean the little hop he does as he starts it up, that has been seriously buffed. He makes the hop MUCH faster, no more slow-motion hop.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
If you mean the little hop he does as he starts it up, that has been seriously buffed. He makes the hop MUCH faster, no more slow-motion hop.
No, I meant the jump attack straight in the air out of the start up where you can either press the jump button or tap up on the control stick to activate it. It does 7% damage.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
So far, the only move that I think was redesigned the most (look-wise) was the Bair.

All of the others seem the same, albeit with different properties (Dair's spike effect, faster SD, SDr, Uair etc).

Top Bottom