• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog thread

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No its trying to be a Sonic Game With Open Areas Too Explore!
I mean Sonic Frontiers is more Similar to Boost or Adventure Sonic Than Zelda BOTW Is Too Classic Zelda!
Exactly!

Anyway, I started playing Sonic Frontiers two days ago. I know I am late to the party, but I was busy. Anyway...

I love it so far! The fight with Super Sonic and Giganto was thrilling!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
but those very things don’t work in an open game
Sure they do. Believe it or not, Sonic was not only about speed and momentum-paced platforming back in the Genesis days, but Sonic was, and still is about exploration, too. That is probably why some people did not like the more linear levels in some of the modern Sonic games. Even then, some of the modern games had alternate routes in the levels, which made them more fun.

Exploration has always been part of Sonic, and open world is no exception. Moving around at high speeds in an open environment with the ability to explore is fun, possibly more so than just speeding through levels alone. I don't know what Sonic games you played, if any, but if you think open world does not work for Sonic, no offense but I don't know what to tell you; you may have the wrong idea of what Sonic is here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sure they do. Believe it or not, Sonic was not only about speed and momentum-paced platforming back in the Genesis days, but Sonic was, and still is about exploration, too. That is probably why some people did not like the more linear levels in some of the modern Sonic games. Even then, some of the modern games had alternate routes in the levels, which made them more fun.

Exploration has always been part of Sonic, and open world is no exception. Moving around at high speeds in an open environment with the ability to explore is fun, possibly more so than just speeding through levels alone. I don't know what Sonic games you played, if any, but if you think open world does not work for Sonic, no offense but I don't know what to tell you; you may have the wrong idea of what Sonic is here.
it's a different kind of exploration though. finding hidden secrets in a 2d level isn't quite the same as game model based entirely around exploration. and having bounce pads and boost pads take you miles from the place you were looking through is far more frustrating than missing a special stage ever was

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
it's a different kind of exploration though. finding hidden secrets in a 2d level isn't quite the same as game model based entirely around exploration. and having bounce pads and boost pads take you miles from the place you were looking through is far more frustrating than missing a special stage ever was
I know it is a different kind of exploration (I forgot to say that), but it is still exploration. Plus, I see Frontiers' as a different take, same result of fun for exploration. This is not like the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, too, for at least you have speed with Sonic. Speed is probably the number one thing Sonic is known for; sure, the exploration in the 2D games used more so momentum based physics, but Frontiers still has speed (which is a part of momentum) nonetheless with exploration. I would say that exploration and speed can still make a Sonic game fun, no matter what kind of exploration is.

Anyway, maybe you are just not used to it, especially the dash pads and jump pads as you mentioned. I would not say they would take Sonic miles from one place (miles to me is an exaggeration), and you just have to learn to deal with these kinds of things, like some things in any game. (Not all like if the physics are bad, but still). I mean, I did see some not like the mashup with Sonic elements in an open world, all from another place; however, it still works, or works well enough that it did get positive reception, nonetheless.

As for me, I really don't see the problem with Sonic Frontiers' style of exploration. It can be argued that a Sonic game can be incomplete when it does not have speed AND exploration, and I say the exploration for Sonic Frontiers, coupled with the speed in it, is rather fun. What else could you want from it?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know it is a different kind of exploration (I forgot to say that), but it is still exploration. Plus, I see Frontiers' as a different take, same result of fun for exploration. This is not like the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, too, for at least you have speed with Sonic. Speed is probably the number one thing Sonic is known for; sure, the exploration in the 2D games used more so momentum based physics, but Frontiers still has speed (which is a part of momentum) nonetheless with exploration. I would say that exploration and speed can still make a Sonic game fun, no matter what kind of exploration is.

Anyway, maybe you are just not used to it, especially the dash pads and jump pads as you mentioned. I would not say they would take Sonic miles from one place (miles to me is an exaggeration), and you just have to learn to deal with these kinds of things, like some things in any game. (Not all like if the physics are bad, but still). I mean, I did see some not like the mashup with Sonic elements in an open world, all from another place; however, it still works, or works well enough that it did get positive reception, nonetheless.

As for me, I really don't see the problem with Sonic Frontiers' style of exploration. It can be argued that a Sonic game can be incomplete when it does not have speed AND exploration, and I say the exploration for Sonic Frontiers, coupled with the speed in it, is rather fun. What else could you want from it?
that’s what I meant by identity crisis, it felt like it was trying to be open and linear at the same time. The dash pads and the like just get in the way when you’re trying to retrace your steps and sometimes it looks like it’ll help you get to one place but then another.

plus the game feels so subdued compared to its predecessor

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
that’s what I meant by identity crisis, it felt like it was trying to be open and linear at the same time. The dash pads and the like just get in the way when you’re trying to retrace your steps and sometimes it looks like it’ll help you get to one place but then another.

plus the game feels so subdued compared to its predecessor
Subdued? What do you mean?

Anyway, on the first part you said, I did not get the feeling it was trying to be open and linear at the same time, honestly. I knew how to handle the dash pads and such. Note that the Sonic elements are there to make it more Sonic-y, and this is the first time they were making an open world, or open zone Sonic game. Even if it was not conflicting, the director of Sonic Frontiers did say he was looking into feedback and the criticisms for this game, and he said he would take it seriously. So at first they don't succeed, there is always next time.

Also, you can just jump over those dash pads or springs. It is not like it will be that hard.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Subdued? What do you mean?

Anyway, on the first part you said, I did not get the feeling it was trying to be open and linear at the same time, honestly. I knew how to handle the dash pads and such. Note that the Sonic elements are there to make it more Sonic-y, and this is the first time they were making an open world, or open zone Sonic game. Even if it was not conflicting, the director of Sonic Frontiers did say he was looking into feedback and the criticisms for this game, and he said he would take it seriously. So at first they don't succeed, there is always next time.

Also, you can just jump over those dash pads or springs. It is not like it will be that hard.
well that’s what I meant by subdued, it’s unsonicy. The music, the atmosphere they felt like they were lacking that energy of pretty much every other sonic game. That’s why it feels at odds with itself. Like they should have gone all one way or the other but we’ve got this game with elements from usual sonic games mixed in with this oddly less vibrant setting

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
well that’s what I meant by subdued, it’s unsonicy. The music, the atmosphere they felt like they were lacking that energy of pretty much every other sonic game. That’s why it feels at odds with itself. Like they should have gone all one way or the other but we’ve got this game with elements from usual sonic games mixed in with this oddly less vibrant setting
I will sort of agree on the music, but not on everything else. If being new wasn't enough, I still think this is Sonic-y. Maybe you aren't used to the differences, I mean; this is new for Sonic and all. It is not wrong or bad that they decided to go this route, and judging from the game's reception, it seems all good and not so bad. You may not like what was done here, but it seems a lot of people do. Either way, it looks like this is the road they will go with Sonic games now. I have a feeling the next open-world Sonic game will be better, and maybe more Sonic-y, and Sonic Frontiers is already Sonic-y to me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I will sort of agree on the music, but not on everything else. If being new wasn't enough, I still think this is Sonic-y. Maybe you aren't used to the differences, I mean; this is new for Sonic and all. It is not wrong or bad that they decided to go this route, and judging from the game's reception, it seems all good and not so bad. You may not like what was done here, but it seems a lot of people do. Either way, it looks like this is the road they will go with Sonic games now. I have a feeling the next open-world Sonic game will be better, and maybe more Sonic-y, and Sonic Frontiers is already Sonic-y to me.
I dunno if that’s the case. Cause I can think of game series that have had big changes like this but I never really noticed it with them. And I never once say it was bad or wrong to go this route just that it feels like it was missing something. I don’t know what though.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I dunno if that’s the case. Cause I can think of game series that have had big changes like this but I never really noticed it with them. And I never once say it was bad or wrong to go this route just that it feels like it was missing something. I don’t know what though.
Well, if they keep going in this direction, then maybe Sonic will no longer be for you, as sad as that may be.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
well overall I didn’t find the game unfun i just felt something was off
Very well. I do respect your opinion, seriously. Still, I do not think we needed to go on for this long about this. Maybe one of us could have just said "Let's agree to disagree"?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Very well. I do respect your opinion, seriously. Still, I do not think we needed to go on for this long about this. Maybe one of us could have just said "Let's agree to disagree"?
and here i thought we were having a good spirited debate about what it was sonic team were going for with this one

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah i mean Ruins, Nature and Tech Thats Stuff that is in every Sonic Game I definitly Prefer The Starfall Islands over the Lost Hex!
I alreadyv suspected that fogbadge didnt like the art direction! But Considering how often sonic was in realistic lokking enviroments Like Sonic Adventures Station square, or City Escape Sonic Frontiers Looks like Sonic To me!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel what fogbadge fogbadge is saying. I think the scripted setpieces in the open zones aren't very well thought-out, especially when you get to the third island.

And man, those 2D sections... what were they thinking with those? Mario Odyssey was smart about 2D sections by limiting them to the 8-bit areas, but Frontiers has 2D sections right in the open zone, as if it arbitrarily limits your movement just to make platforming work.

I like Frontiers quite a bit (still need to finish it though), but there's a lot of work to be done on open zone Sonic.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, remember the lost R2 from Sonic CD?

Well, we know know what it was supposed to be: An underground level named Dubious Depths!

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Cool there are Tons of cut Sonic levels! Did you know that hilltop was originally a Past version Of "Green Hill" (Aka Emerald hill)

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Good day, everyone. As you may know, the first big update for Sonic Frontiers has released today. I hope you had a chance to check it out, and have/are enjoying the update yourselves.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Theres also a modern amy rose costume which makes me think that amy shouldve kept her classic hair as it just looks more hedgehogy

osby

Smash Obsessed
Theres also a modern amy rose costume which makes me think that amy shouldve kept her classic hair as it just looks more hedgehogy
Eh, I disagree.

Not only do quite a few Sonic characters only vaguely resemble the animals they're based on, but Amy's classic design also made her look more like just a pink Sonic.

I think her modern design is more distinct and fits her fashion-conscious personality more.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm pretty torn on what I see of Superstars.

On one hand, I actually wasn't too enthralled with Mania and I love that Superstars will be doing the 2.5D thing with an awesome aesthetic and all original stages.

On the other hand, I really think that the 4-player co-op will either be Kirby RtDL shoehorned or severely compromise the level design. I don't think 4-player co-op really fits Sonic tbh.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I had this Sonic the Hedgehog thought some time ago.

Remember Vector, Charmy and Espio? Technically, they were never in a canon Sonic game until Sonic Heroes.

Let me explain here; the game they first appeared in, Knuckles' Chaotix, was said to not be canon to the main Sonic games, which includes the main Classic Sonic games. So technically, Vector, Charmy and Espio only technically first appeared canonically in Sonic Heroes, due to Knuckles' Chaotix not being...well, canon.

You all get what I am saying here?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here is something released today.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I had this Sonic the Hedgehog thought some time ago.

Remember Vector, Charmy and Espio? Technically, they were never in a canon Sonic game until Sonic Heroes.

Let me explain here; the game they first appeared in, Knuckles' Chaotix, was said to not be canon to the main Sonic games, which includes the main Classic Sonic games. So technically, Vector, Charmy and Espio only technically first appeared canonically in Sonic Heroes, due to Knuckles' Chaotix not being...well, canon.

You all get what I am saying here?
IIRC, different people are saying different things about KC's canonicity.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

I was planning to be in Milwaukee for a convention that same weekend next year. Fantastic timing. I will definitely get tickets if I can.

Top Bottom