• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Get at least 8 hours of sleep the night before and take a 5 minute walk outside between games.
What you want to avoid is going into auto-pilot during matches so making your brain switch to something else helps.
Wow, I think you nailed the auto-pilot bit there.
I never thought about it until now but that might be one of the reasons I tend to choke in later games.
Seriously, thanks for noting that! I'll definitely be keeping it in mind!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
6WX wins on aggression, creativity and style alone. Not many Sonic's are as fun to watch.

Seagull Joe, well... https://youtu.be/H7xODbtrTQs?t=2m28s
I hope you accidentally snort pepper flakes.
Seagull Joe is good, but I believe people underestimate him because of Xanudu, along with how ZeRo was not in the best state of mind when Seagull beat him.

And everyone has those moments where they make mistakes like that, so I wouldn't put much emphasis on that.

Fun or not, I think every top level Sonic has some interesting quirk to them that makes watching them for improvement worth it.
I don't know why anyone would underrate me. I've never had 1 questionable loss. My losses at nationals are only top players. Every national I lost to a top player along the road. I also have really good wins across the board.

Also, Xanadu > Canada. Our 20th (Logic) just beat Venom (One of their top 5?).

:018:

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I hope you accidentally snort pepper flakes.

I don't know why anyone would underrate me. I've never had 1 questionable loss. My losses at nationals are only top players. Every national I lost to a top player along the road. I also have really good wins across the board.

Also, Xanadu > Canada. Our 20th (Logic) just beat Venom (One of their top 5?).

1. Pepper makes you sneeze, try something else.
2. I think people underrate you because 6WX, Manny, KEN, and Komo go to more nationals than you do (or at least they place higher). Not saying I do, but still.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
1. Pepper makes you sneeze, try something else.
2. I think people underrate you because 6WX, Manny, KEN, and Komo go to more nationals than you do (or at least they place higher). Not saying I do, but still.
I've been to every American national. Paragon (25th), CEO (17th), EVO (49th), Apex (49th), Big House (9th), Genesis (33rd) and Supersmashcon (13th). I outplaced 6wx at CEO and tied with him at Big House. I usually am only slightly behind them in placings and lose to the same people they do (Seeding much?). 6wx and Manny were eliminated by Larry and Esam respectively (Both of my losses at Genesis).

Not saying I'm better because I could care less about being the best :4sonic:, but saying I go to stuff is just incorrect. If anything, I've been to more out of state stuff than Manny and the same amount as Wesley. Neither of them were at Pound (17th), but I was.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You know, I've been think and I've come to realise something

Sonic is slow.

Like, reaaaaaalllly slow. It's sad really

And I'm not talking about Smash but as a character

I still like the grumpy Link with weird expressions but it's your opinion
Young Link for Life

:135:

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576
You know, I've been think and I've come to realise something

Sonic is slow.

Like, reaaaaaalllly slow. It's sad really

And I'm not talking about Smash but as a character

Young Link for Life

lmao still no good games since Generations

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Oh hey Joe, Brawl related question, but I was playing Wolf on Smashville and I side b'd to the ledge and instead of snapping the ledge or landing on the stage, the animation just flatout cancelled and I went to my falling animation, with my midair jump restored. What happened?

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
From what I've always heard, people underrate Joe because Xanadu isn't seen as a serious tournament series with any spectacular talent. :applejack:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I don't watch the competitive scene that much so i don't know what there all like compared to each other

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Xanadu, as a whole, is kind of a pushover in regards to the overall talent in comparison to how many views/attendants it gets. There are definitely select great players, but yeah.

Joe, however, clearly travels to compensate and proves himself outside of that. I know ZeRo said he tried to stick to a top 4 as far as in-video mentions go, but not even an honorable mention to Joe seems out of place. Still the only Sonic to beat him, LOL.

Speaking of which, I usually also place not too far underneath Joe or 6WX at every event we both attend -_-' I've also outplaced Kels at KTAR and took 49th at Pound, taking a game off ESAM along the way. I think Joe falls right in the cusp of top 5, and Sonics such as myself, Kels, Craftis, Espy, and Goggles fall in top 10. Possibly True Blue or Ixis but I haven't checked on their results in a while so that's moreso my own ignorance there.

I've been thinking about top Sonics lately, but I strayed away out of fear that it might come off as an ego stroke contest. Though I sort of just did that now I guess, lmao. Honestly just going off of notable wins and attendance.

Wrath beat Scatt and seems to be on the come-up as well.

:093:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think ranking players isn't a bad idea. It can give others something to look to when trying to see what works and what doesn't with a character.
But at the same time, people also might place too much focus on the top spot when looking for a reference on how to play or how to play against a character.
Top spots can be a great reference for a chunk of what you need to know, but if you stop there, you'll definitely miss a lot of stuff.
Its important to take references from multiple players; not just the top spot, or even just the top 5.

Also, I just saw that match with ESAM.
Really though, watching ESAM play just makes me nervous about going up against Pikachu players. Pikachu's tools make him seem almost ridiculous in this game.
But you had some good plays in there that are definitely worth watching. I learned a lot from watching it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Xanadu, as a whole, is kind of a pushover in regards to the overall talent in comparison to how many views/attendants it gets. There are definitely select great players, but yeah.

Joe, however, clearly travels to compensate and proves himself outside of that. I know ZeRo said he tried to stick to a top 4 as far as in-video mentions go, but not even an honorable mention to Joe seems out of place. Still the only Sonic to beat him, LOL.

Speaking of which, I usually also place not too far underneath Joe or 6WX at every event we both attend -_-' I've also outplaced Kels at KTAR and took 49th at Pound, taking a game off ESAM along the way. I think Joe falls right in the cusp of top 5, and Sonics such as myself, Kels, Craftis, Espy, and Goggles fall in top 10. Possibly True Blue or Ixis but I haven't checked on their results in a while so that's moreso my own ignorance there.

I've been thinking about top Sonics lately, but I strayed away out of fear that it might come off as an ego stroke contest. Though I sort of just did that now I guess, lmao. Honestly just going off of notable wins and attendance.

Wrath beat Scatt and seems to be on the come-up as well.

He actually gave me a honorable mention as the 5th best :4sonic: in the comments section of that vid. I felt honored he'd post a comment just about that.
From what I've always heard, people underrate Joe because Xanadu isn't seen as a serious tournament series with any spectacular talent. :applejack:
We have a lot of good players, but most haven't traveled very far or aren't recognized. Dunnobro (He's like 12th in my region) bodied NYC at glitch and at a nebulous even beating Mr. E in WF and John#'s.

Poyo moved to MO/KS and I think he's top 3 there already.
Oh hey Joe, Brawl related question, but I was playing Wolf on Smashville and I side b'd to the ledge and instead of snapping the ledge or landing on the stage, the animation just flatout cancelled and I went to my falling animation, with my midair jump restored. What happened?
It's called telestepping. You essentially side b'd at the angle it doesn't autosnap or land on. You gain back your double jump because it assumes you grabbed the edge. I did this in brawl on command for fun or as a mixup. If you really wanna try something neat then do a telestep on BF > bair > up b to grab the other side. Or you could telestep on BF > side b back to the same edge from the middle bottom of the stage.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's a glitch-ish thingy where the game believes you grabbed the ledge. It requires certain spacing.
Certain moves like Fox/Falco's illusions, Dolphin Slash and others can trigger it.
:196:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think you're the one who's supposed to get gifts on your birthday pal.
But I'm not gonna complain about getting this MU video. :)

You covered a lot of good stuff here. Talking about MUs is good, but seeing different set ups and cues for what to watch for make understanding the MU even easier.
Hope you enjoy your birthday!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think ranking players isn't a bad idea. It can give others something to look to when trying to see what works and what doesn't with a character.
But at the same time, people also might place too much focus on the top spot when looking for a reference on how to play or how to play against a character.
Top spots can be a great reference for a chunk of what you need to know, but if you stop there, you'll definitely miss a lot of stuff.
Its important to take references from multiple players; not just the top spot, or even just the top 5.
I agree. There's a lot to be learned from all kinds of competent players of the character.
Also, I just saw that match with ESAM.
Really though, watching ESAM play just makes me nervous about going up against Pikachu players. Pikachu's tools make him seem almost ridiculous in this game.
But you had some good plays in there that are definitely worth watching. I learned a lot from watching it.
Glad you could learn from it (because I definitely learned a lot from facing him and reviewing it later).

ESAM had a certain pressure that I'm not used to from any other Pikachu. A lot of Pikas have bad up close game since Pika's boxing game is weak, but ESAM had a certain confidence and execution that let him get through and do some serious damage. It's one thing just watching him play, but actually being on the receiving end is enlightening.
He actually gave me a honorable mention as the 5th best :4sonic: in the comments section of that vid. I felt honored he'd post a comment just about that.
Oh word, that's cool at least.
We have a lot of good players, but most haven't traveled very far or aren't recognized. Dunnobro (He's like 12th in my region) bodied NYC at glitch and at a nebulous even beating Mr. E in WF and John#'s.

Poyo moved to MO/KS and I think he's top 3 there already.
I wanted to play Dunnobro at Pound but he drowned, lol. Happens.
So I just uploaded the video I mentioned earlier; here it is!
You've learned well, kouhai. This is a promising start.

It was also cool seeing some of the stuff I do in the match-up broken down. For future videos, be weary of typos before uploading. Whenever I finish a video, I give it a couple days before uploading just so I can catch that sort of thing or make final tweaks. I'll also get a couple of people to watch it first in case I still missed something.
Also, Birthday hype! I can't believe I'm 20 now.
This is like my fourth time saying it, but... Happy birthday!

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
I think you're the one who's supposed to get gifts on your birthday pal.
But I'm not gonna complain about getting this MU video. :)

You covered a lot of good stuff here. Talking about MUs is good, but seeing different set ups and cues for what to watch for make understanding the MU even easier.
Hope you enjoy your birthday!
I don't mind getting gifts. xD My friends wanted to have me show them my Amazon Wishlist, but like, I don't really have much I want to get that isn't expensive.

I teach a lot of my friends at my college this game, and I believe stating information then showing applications right after is an effective way of teach.

You've learned well, kouhai. This is a promising start.

It was also cool seeing some of the stuff I do in the match-up broken down. For future videos, be weary of typos before uploading. Whenever I finish a video, I give it a couple days before uploading just so I can catch that sort of thing or make final tweaks. I'll also get a couple of people to watch it first in case I still missed something.
Yeah! I was looking for footage that showed what I was talking about. I could've easily pitched in content I had with my doubles partner, a Mario main, but your idea about using tournament footage sounded much better. I thank you for all the advice you gave me! It made the video feel more credible to me. I did add some non-tourney clips, as I couldn't seem to find any videos showing certain things Sonic can do in the match up.

Typos make me sad. xD I always seem to not notice until after the video gets uploaded, so I will take your advice for next time! So far it seems like a lot of people enjoyed the content, and some like the format (Intro, Neutral, Advantage, Disadvantage, Stages) so it makes me very glad! I wonder what character I should do next, but before that I should figure out a way to have After Effects or some type of software like that on my laptop for the summer. I'll probably look into that later. Making the video was very fun! I really like After Effects and Illustrator, which were the programs I used for this project.

This is like my fourth time saying it, but... Happy birthday!

Thank you! xD My birthday went well! I uploaded the video, played and practiced a bit for New Fish, and my best friend bought me tickets for Civil War.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
That looks different.
It appear that its related to cartoon network?
Where'd you find that?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I haven't posted here in a while but I have some very amazing news to share with Sonic fans.

SEGA Sammy just posted their most recent financial report the other day, and...

Sonic the Hedgehog has surpassed Super Mario and Pokémon in total combined sales, meaning it is now the best selling video game series of all time.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2015/all_ar2015_e.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

NOTE: "Super Mario" consists only of the core Mario series, being stuff like the classic 2D platformers, the New Super Mario Bros games, and the 3D platformers like Super Mario 64. "Mario" is anything with the Mario name on it, and that still beats Sonic's total sales by quite a bit (mainly thanks to the phenomenal sales of Mario Kart), but this is still a really impressive feat and I never even expected Sonic to surpass Pokémon's sales in the modern era, let alone Super Mario.

In all cases, these sales include physical units, digital downloads, and even expansion packs.

Super Mario Bros. first released on the NES on September 13th, 1985.
Sonic the Hedgehog first released on June 23rd, 1991.

By the time the first Sonic the Hedgehog had released, Super Mario World was the latest Super Mario game released, being the 6th game in the franchise.

Pokémon's numbers are as of February 29th, 2016.

Super Mario's official total sales numbers are as of September 2015, however, the Wikipedia listing is also accounting for the confirmed 1.46 million units sold of Super Mario Maker as of December 2016.

Since December, Pokémon has only had Pokkén and VC ports.
Super Mario has only had a Super Mario World VC port on the New 3DS.
Sonic has only had Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS) and SEGA 3D Classics Collection. Most of what Sonic released in 2015 was Free to Play titles, which do not factor into the sales number, nor do their microtransactions, meaning Sonic just had an almost completely blank year sales wise.

Mario & Sonic Olympics factor into "Mario" and Sonic the Hedgehog sales, but not "Super Mario" sales.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So has anyone seen Civil War yet? I'm looking into checking it out.
It's... entertaining.
I didn't find the plot to be good, but at least it makes sense within its own context (for the most part at least).
The action scenes are good and the humor is great.
I only truly disliked the fact it is very CGI-heavy.
7.5/10 imo

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So has anyone seen Civil War yet? I'm looking into checking it out.
Go see it. Right now. Stop whatever it is you are doing. I don't care if you're dying. Just stop and go see it

It's... entertaining.
I didn't find the plot to be good, but at least it makes sense within its own context (for the most part at least).
The action scenes are good and the humor is great.
I only truly disliked the fact it is very CGI-heavy.
7.5/10 imo
I can't even.... please, just leave.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Relax, buddy. 7.5 is not a bad score. All he's saying is yes, it's good, but it could have been better.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Relax, buddy. 7.5 is not a bad score. All he's saying is yes, it's good, but it could have been better.
I know I know, but it's just......

I know it had some flaws (I notice a few things watching it that I couldn't help but nitpick) It was sooooo good that those flaws were just washed away.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think it would be absolutely hilarious if costume mods started to be a big thing at tournaments.
I mean, we could have stuff like
A Shadow alt for Sonic,
A Ken alt for Ryu,
A Wolf alt for Fox,
And whatever else people could change.
I don't think it'll actually happen, but its just fun to think about.

Top Bottom