• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Sonic is one unit lighter? Does that even count as a nerf? XD

As for the new content, Corrin is alright, Bayonetta is hard to learn, and I really hope Umbra Clock Tower becomes tourney-legal because I'm sick of seeing Smashville.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah I'm asking for the reasons given for his placement, as in why do people think he's 6th?
Some people thought he was 2nd or 3rd.

Those people are horribly misguided.

The majority though saw him somewhere around the lower part of top 8/10. I can provide a general synopsis as to my take on what lead him to 6th.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Also, Sonic is one unit lighter while Kirby is two units heavier?

It makes perfect sense actually.

My region is up in there on it but I'm trying to convince them we need a stage with large blast zones. But then they sent me this as a counter argument:

While the stage control and large blast zones are nice, the thing I like about it most is that the platforms don't really interrupt your ability to return to the ground and sometimes can even make sonic's recoveries less predictable since there are so many bizarre angles that the platforms above the stage configure themselves in.
Well the same argument could be said for basically EVER SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER!

:135:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416

The majority though saw him somewhere around the lower part of top 8/10. I can provide a general synopsis as to my take on what lead him to 6th.

Please do.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
My one complaint about the umbra clock tower is how occasionally the platforms can spawn in the blast lines which can lead to some unfair kills. Other than that, I can see the stage being a solid counterpick.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Having both DLC characters with counters is starting to get to me.
So.
After seeing all the characters using counter nowadays, I think its about time Sonic got one too.
Its only fair.
So let's give Sonic chaos control?
My point is, I'm getting tired of the move counter.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Having both DLC characters with counters is starting to get to me.
So.
After seeing all the characters using counter nowadays, I think its about time Sonic got one too.
Its only fair.
My point is, I'm getting tired of the move counter.
Dealing with it, or just in concept? Because grab didn't stop being a thing. =P

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Well at least they tried giving Bayo a unique counter. I loved how Sakurai made it sound like a big deal that Kamui's counter knocks the opponent upward. OOOOOHHHHH, a move with vertical knockback, HOW ORIGINAL!!!!!

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Dealing with it, or just in concept? Because grab didn't stop being a thing. =P
Nononono, grab is wonderful! Well, aside from the frames of counter that are invincible to even grabs, which upsets me a bit.
The concept of it is what I struggle with.

Actually, is there a good argument for the excess of counters being in Smash? If so, I would definitely like to hear it. I'm open to getting more info here.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I'm still trying to figure out this weight nerf Sonic got. I don't really get it, does that make him kinda easier to KO or something? I don't know what that's about. I'm not even sure if that was an actual thing or not but I heard a lot of talk about it.

Its only fair.
Sonic having a counter would seem a bit unnecessary. Chaos Control at that? That'd be annoying and he's already considered to be the most annoying character to fight lol. He doesn't need a counter, he's fine.

Last edited:

dayo

Smash Rookie
I'm still trying to figure out this weight nerf Sonic got. I don't really get it, does that make him kinda easier to KO or something? I don't know what that's about. I'm not even sure if that was an actual thing or not but I heard a lot of talk about it.
maybe a last ditch effort by the devs to balance these characters without shaking things up too much? zss and sheik got similar changes.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I don't think it'll really change anything for Zero Suit in all honesty. I bet she'll still be high or top tier lol.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic having a counter would seem a bit unnecessary. Chaos Control at that? That'd be annoying and he's already considered to be the most annoying character to fight lol. He doesn't need a counter, he's fine.
I was joking. Mostly.
It definitely would be another reason for people to get angry with Sonic, and it would probably feel like an awkward mechanic to boot.

Wait, ZSS's kick got nerfed? Wow. It probably won't be a big game changer, but...wow.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Zero Suit's up b may have gotten nerfed, but in the words of Kratos Aurion: DON'T GET COCKY!

It's knockback growth may have been nerfed significantly, but the angle may be slightly harder to DI since it launches the opponent more vertically, which is exactly where she wants to KO her opponent.

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
Zero Suit's up b may have gotten nerfed, but in the words of Kratos Aurion: DON'T GET COCKY!

It's knockback growth may have been nerfed significantly, but the angle may be slightly harder to DI since it launches the opponent more vertically, which is exactly where she wants to KO her opponent.
The angle got changed from 50 to 48, which would be a lower angle. In other words its easier to DI.

I don't get the weight reduction at all lol, the other top tiers were already lightweights to it accentuates that trait but we're middleweight so it barely matters.

As much as I love the boost kick nerf ZSS is probably still second in the game, still a strong move which she can combo into.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Still have yet to updated the game, glad to hear Sonic is mainly untouched, still need to see the MU between Bay and Corrin

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Since this is the social thread is it appropriate to ask if anyone would like to run some Sonic ditto sets? I'm trying to get better. FG is so hit and miss with good/bad players. You can find my 3DS FC & NNID under my name.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Since this is the social thread is it appropriate to ask if anyone would like to run some Sonic ditto sets? I'm trying to get better. FG is so hit and miss with good/bad players. You can find my 3DS FC & NNID under my name.
Sonic dittos aren't my thing. Dittos in general aren't but wish I could help. Honestly the only Sonic ditto I want to try is against 6WX and Camalange lol.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Still have yet to updated the game, glad to hear Sonic is mainly untouched, still need to see the MU between Bay and Corrin
Kamui sucks, play baeonetta. She's certainly more than meets the eye if ya know what I'm sayin.
I'll play ya when I can today; I'll send you a pm for when I can play.
Sonic dittos aren't my thing. Dittos in general aren't but wish I could help. Honestly the only Sonic ditto I want to try is against 6WX and Camalange lol.
Bruh, if you don't like dittos, then don't ask to play against pros; it's not the best place to start (but not a bad move at all).

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Bruh, if you don't like dittos, then don't ask to play against pros; it's not the best place to start (but not a bad move at all).
Think of it as the student wanting to challenge the master lol. I've learned a lot from watching them so in a way they taught me everything I know. Going Sonic to Sonic with either would be an experience I'd be enthusiastic about in comparison to other mirror matches, that's something I feel confident in just from saying it.

I suppose it'd just be my way of seeing if I'm anything like them or what I'd have to do to get there. Some dumb crap like that lol.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

Yeah please do

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Welp the boards started doing that thing where i wasnt getting notified again. GREAT.

Should be fine after this post, sonic twitter absolutely savage doe

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
I think :4bayonetta:would be a great counterpick for the :rosalina:MU. Bullet Arts and SideB destroys Luma along with all of her combos.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Since people are curious, I think I'll do a synopsis on my thoughts of Sonic's tier placement.

Also, have you guys seen this yet? lol.

Top Bottom