• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

SonicMario

Smash Master
Now that it's 2016 we can officially start counting down to the 25th Anniversary of the Franchise. Hopefully this year or so we get a beloved anniversary game like SA2 & Sonic Generations this time around.

...Just don't do anything close to what they did for the 15th and we should be ok though.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Now that it's 2016 we can officially start counting down to the 25th Anniversary of the Franchise. Hopefully this year or so we get a beloved anniversary game like SA2 & Sonic Generations this time around.

...Just don't do anything close to what they did for the 15th and we should be ok though.
Sonic Riders was good. It had potential to be something great but then Zero Gravity and Free happened. The crazy part is Zero Gravity wasn't bad but it was very watered down. Loved the roster expansion and the Gear but everything else? Nah. Why'd they get rid of the amazing art style from the original I'll never understand.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Sonic Riders was good. It had potential to be something great but then Zero Gravity and Free happened. The crazy part is Zero Gravity wasn't bad but it was very watered down. Loved the roster expansion and the Gear but everything else? Nah. Why'd they get rid of the amazing art style from the original I'll never understand.
There was also Sonic Rush...

Honestly I haven't played the Rider sequels, but the original was super fun and super hated for invalid reasons (minus the controls. I had no issue with them at all, but I guess they're not the easiest to control).

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Mmmm, I wouldn't say "super hated" but of the three it was the most positive. It got average reviews, which isn't bad considering it was its first time handling the racing genre outside of Drift and R. If they kept the basic mechanics and just added more speed, a bigger roster, more stages then I think we would've been gold but I guess Sonic&Sega All-Stars Racing is the new racing sub for him. I actually love the All-Star Racing series. Used to be in the top 10 on the leaderboards in Transformed until I stopped playing.

I'm actually still waiting on Sonic Rush 3. I don't get what's taking so long for that, I loved Rush and Rush Adventure, we need more SonicxBlaze, come on now.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Mmmm, I wouldn't say "super hated" but of the three it was the most positive. It got average reviews, which isn't bad considering it was its first time handling the racing genre outside of Drift and R. If they kept the basic mechanics and just added more speed, a bigger roster, more stages then I think we would've been gold but I guess Sonic&Sega All-Stars Racing is the new racing sub for him. I actually love the All-Star Racing series. Used to be in the top 10 on the leaderboards in Transformed until I stopped playing.

I'm actually still waiting on Sonic Rush 3. I don't get what's taking so long for that, I loved Rush and Rush Adventure, we need more SonicxBlaze, come on now.
Yes!

We also need Sonic Adventure 3. I hope that that's the anniversery title for 2016. If Sega said they "betrayed their fans", then it may be a good sign. Just a thought.

I heard more hate for Riders from fans than I did critics tbh.

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I don't actually think Sonic Adventure 3 is a thing that needs to happen. Granted, I'd squeal like a fangirl if it were announced, but that's just the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles talking.

What we need is a Sonic game that actually understands and respects what Sonic is. Every game in the series does something different, but most of them don't really feel like you're playing as a fast-running hedgehog with attitude. Unleashed came close, but suffered the fatal flaw of keeping those two aspects separated (fast-running in gameplay, attitude in cutscenes) rather than weaving them together in a natural fashion, and it's been like that ever since.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I don't actually think Sonic Adventure 3 is a thing that needs to happen. Granted, I'd squeal like a fangirl if it were announced, but that's just the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles talking.

What we need is a Sonic game that actually understands and respects what Sonic is. Every game in the series does something different, but most of them don't really feel like you're playing as a fast-running hedgehog with attitude. Unleashed came close, but suffered the fatal flaw of keeping those two aspects separated (fast-running in gameplay, attitude in cutscenes) rather than weaving them together in a natural fashion, and it's been like that ever since.
Didn't Sonic Team say something like "Oh, we're treating Sonic Heroes like Sonic Adventure 3!" or "Oh, but Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was Sonic Adventure 3!" Then again it might've been Unleashed since the title in Japan is Sonic World Adventure. I heard something like that back in like...what? 2008? It was a while ago and my memory is butt. I honestly wouldn't know what I would like out of a Sonic game if I have to be honest. I love the modern style feel we have with Unleashed, Colors and Generations but at the same time I would like the gameplay style of the original Adventure series, I do miss playing as multiple characters. I love Sonic but I wouldn't mind getting the chance to play as Shadow, Rouge or even Eggman again.

I'm replaying Sonic Adventure 2 HD to get the 100% as speak, I'm just realizing how cool it was to play as Eggman lol. Eggman was actually a badass back then rather than the goof we currently know him as. Maybe that's why I enjoy playing as him so much.

Also could somebody explain this to me? Heavy characters keep falling out of my Up Smash. Is it the angel in which it sweeps them up? Is it them DI'ing out of it? Or-?

Last edited:
NNID
MasterHavik
Hey guys KASR in the building. How am I? Well I pass another semester of college and got some smash 4 DLC. I have officially added Ryu to my stock of characters. He is just too godlike. I played like **** my first smash 4 event I plan to get better and for glory is bad. Anyway I shall train hard to get some winning steak.

Luig

Confused
Riders was really good. Loved the trick system.

Also transformed is better than mk8.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I... wasn't referring to Sonic Riders :V Yeah it came in the same year as Sonic 06 (The game I was referring to) but comparatively early on. And for what it's worth, Sonic Riders was fun. Shame they basically ended it off with a barely working Kinect game. I was really only referring to games that are considered the anniversary games. Sonic Adventure 2 for the 10th, Sonic 06 for the 15th, Generations for the 20th, and whatever comes next for the 25th this year.

And huh, turns out Sonic 3D Blast was also an Anniversary game (The 5th anniversary). And 3D Blast is one of the less well received games from the classic days... I certainly hope this isn't a pattern. Every anniversary that has a 5 in it has a bad anniversary game and every 10 years the anniversary is something great. Cause that wouldn't bold well for this year. Let's have two great Anniversary games in a row, damn it!

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I... wasn't referring to Sonic Riders :V Yeah it came in the same year as Sonic 06 (The game I was referring to) but comparatively early on. And for what it's worth, Sonic Riders was fun. Shame they basically ended it off with a barely working Kinect game. I was really only referring to games that are considered the anniversary games. Sonic Adventure 2 for the 10th, Sonic 06 for the 15th, Generations for the 20th, and whatever comes next for the 25th this year.

And huh, turns out Sonic 3D Blast was also an Anniversary game (The 5th anniversary). And 3D Blast is one of the less well received games from the classic days... I certainly hope this isn't a pattern. Every anniversary that has a 5 in it has a bad anniversary game and every 10 years the anniversary is something great. Cause that wouldn't bold well for this year. Let's have two great Anniversary games in a row, damn it!
I know but you said the 15th anniversary so I was including Riders because I was reading what you said as "The 15th anniversary as a whole". Since you were just talking about Sonic 06 then I don't think we can go any lower than Sonic Boom(I know its not an anniversary game but again I mean in general lol), thankfully that wasn't created by Sonic Team and but even so I believe they learned their lesson after that. And Secret Rings. And Free Riders.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Also could somebody explain this to me? Heavy characters keep falling out of my Up Smash. Is it the angel in which it sweeps them up? Is it them DI'ing out of it? Or-?
Bowser will almost always fall out of Up Smash because of his ability Tough Guy that allows him to not take knock back from weak multi hitting moves.
Actually had this problem at EVO almost losing to a Bowser cause I couldn't bury them and kill them with Up Smash and F Smash had reduced knockback from the ground.
But also had this same situation happen to characters like Charizard. So it might also be a size/weight class thing that allows them to fall out of it easier. But Bowser is guaranteed to fall out of it, unless you catch him in the air.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Bowser will almost always fall out of Up Smash because of his ability Tough Guy that allows him to not take knock back from weak multi hitting moves.
Actually had this problem at EVO almost losing to a Bowser cause I couldn't bury them and kill them with Up Smash and F Smash had reduced knockback from the ground.
But also had this same situation happen to characters like Charizard. So it might also be a size/weight class thing that allows them to fall out of it easier. But Bowser is guaranteed to fall out of it, unless you catch him in the air.
That's happened to me, too. I've lost matches on Anther's Ladder because of that mishap. Against heavy characters, especially Charizard, I just go Pit/Dark Pit since they have huge advantages over thise characters, especially Zard.

Luig

Confused
I once had a dk fall out of the up smash, but he fell out of one of the weak meteor hitboxes, and he didn't have a jump so he died.

I think that was a 1/1000000000 event.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Happy New Year, here's to future patches for Sonic to survive.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
25th anniversary game?

Him, not sure what want. Both Generation and Adventure controls are nice, tho I can't shake the feeling that Sonic Boom Fire and Ice might be the anniversary game

Only way BSBS is ever gonna get fixed is if we speak up about it enough to the point the dev team notices how and why it happens
Have u tried sending Sakurai an email or hand written letter?

:135:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Like the fact that the heavy characters fall out of it like that has to do with how the make the heavy characters smoothly land on the ground now. I forgot what it was that was explained to me but it was something that they changed about Heavy/Fast Fallers in this game that causes this where they smoothly land out of it if SDI'd correctly and close enough to the ground.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
tho I can't shake the feeling that Sonic Boom Fire and Ice might be the anniversary game
Well you should shake that feeling, because it's definitely not. That was already announced, and all the promotions for the anniversary have been nods to classic Sonic. The game has yet to be announced.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well you should shake that feeling, because it's definitely not. That was already announced, and all the promotions for the anniversary have been nods to classic Sonic. The game has yet to be announced.

Yeah, I gues. Plus, I'm pretty sure they said an early 2016 release for boom. Tho they fact they keep referring to Classic Sonic has me worried

:135:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Ok, thanks. I'll just not go for the up smashes against heavy characters then. I got sick of it happening to me. As you can see it unfairly caused me a kill, one which Samus got for free. Which is BS lol.

KeetZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeetZ_AgaiN
3DS FC
1864-9859-2090
I will be one of like 3 people repping Sonic tomorrow at Dismantle, and Nairo is in my pool so wish me luck. :happysheep:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I'm participatin in an Anther's Ladder tournament tomorrow night, so I won't be at Dismantle sadly. Not good enough to join it, so AL is my speed for right now. But wish me luck anyway.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Speaking of the anniversary game, anyone ever figure out that hint they had with the halloween art with the pumpkin? SOmething to do with the artist but i never saw anything come of that nod. Regardless the supposed 3-4 years is a great sign to me.

On another happy new year!

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Speaking of the anniversary game, anyone ever figure out that hint they had with the halloween art with the pumpkin? SOmething to do with the artist but i never saw anything come of that nod. Regardless the supposed 3-4 years is a great sign to me.

On another happy new year!
What Halloween art? Can you show me the link please?

Luig

Confused
yo brawl tho?

Do you like it?
I completely fixed the move, made the 2 main hitboxes(pre hit then launch hit) have a bigger hitbox, gave it a 5%, lingering hitbox, it does much much more knockback and damage, has less endlag, and uses the HA GFX.

:187:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I would use it more if it worked that way.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
What Halloween art? Can you show me the link please?
http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/image/132231565948

"There’s something very special about this art but it’s not actually anything hidden inside of it
though we hid details on the next Sonic game on the inside of the pumpkin but since you can’t actually see that
we’ll give you a hint as to what makes this sweet piece even cooler than normal
it’s not about what you see…it’s about who created it!
chalk this away in your memory – because someday we’re going to come back to it"

The image was posted by Aaron “RubyEclipse” Webber

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/image/132231565948

"There’s something very special about this art but it’s not actually anything hidden inside of it
though we hid details on the next Sonic game on the inside of the pumpkin but since you can’t actually see that
we’ll give you a hint as to what makes this sweet piece even cooler than normal
it’s not about what you see…it’s about who created it!
chalk this away in your memory – because someday we’re going to come back to it"

The image was posted by Aaron “RubyEclipse” Webber
Thanks for the link.

I have a couple theories about what this means:
While you can't see what is inside the pumpkin, the fact that it's glowing so brightly could mean two things:
1. It could resemble Pumpkin Hill from SA2, considering that it has a relatively similar design to the pumpkins found in that area, which probably doesn't mean anything super different.

2. Maybe a new character who happens to be another mad genius, but related to Sonic. This new character would be different since he would be a member of Sonic's family, like his father or something. Not quite the Uncle Chuck from the Sonic Sat AM cartoon, though, but something along those lines.

3. Eggman is using pumpkin robots to take over the world or something lol.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Did cam finally change his avatar to someone that ISNT Kirino?
I mix it up occasionally, to make it all the sweeter when she returns.

This character is from a different series from the same creators, and she is also an imouto, so it's close.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
My avatar is currently Barbatos Goetia, but it used to be Zelos Wilder and Collete Brunnel for Christmas and it was Alvin Vint Svent when I first joined. No shame in mixing up avatars XP.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
When I'm sifting through avatars...

Top Bottom