• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I haven't wrote down exact percents things work, like uair combos. More of just have a feel for it at this point. Has anyone noticed spindash/charge to uair to spring uair feeling guaranteed and ko'ing at low percents when in rage mode? Like 90% and such.
I'm doing a list of percents (min-max) for uthrow>upB>uair combo on FD against all the cast. I'll probably open a thread when I finish all the testing in a few days. Could be useful to the community.

My idea is this: If you manage to do the combo in that % range, you'll get the kill.

From the characters that I already tested, Diddy's range is the biggest (107-122%). Some characters got a little range like Jiggs (84-85%). There are some things to keep in mind like timing the uair at max % and DI, but thats a story for another day...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
halberd sucks, also is there actually a skype chat?
I like Halberd. Sonic fares pretty well there (but maybe not for all match-ups). There are definitely characters that are better at sharking and taking advantage of the low ceiling than he does.

Yes, we're currently working on it. I'll eventually be making a Skype contact list in the OP once more interest is generated.
UTilt dosent kill? Ive killed with it at around 150% pretty reliably...
I haven't actually tried going for it since Sonic has more reliable KO moves now, lol.

:093:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
We have Usmash and Bthrow for lower percents, Bair, Nair, Fsmash, Uair and Fthrow all kill decently in their respective scenario's too. At last we're fine for kill moves

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Remember that these aren't legit combos, and more just strings. So you'll need to make reads on what the opponents gonna do!
Yup. But is good to know when to try it and when you shouldn't even bother...
If we are aware at which % could be effective, we'll do less uthrow>upB>uair in vain.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yup. But is good to know when to try it and when you shouldn't even bother...
If we are aware at which % could be effective, we'll do less uthrow>upB>uair in vain.
I've noticed it varies from character to character.

Uthrow>Spring>Rising Uair works on most starting around 50%/60% but on characters like ROB you can Uthrow>Spring>Rising Fair as early as 20%/30%. Pretty legit. I want to do more research on each character and see how escapable it is depending on percent.
My UTilt kills usually happen by accident lol
I almost never land a utilt, let alone kill with it.

Which is a shame because I actually kinda liked utilt in Brawl. For some reason I just see less opportunity for it now.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I just use utilt for people who try to hop ledges, or if i'm juggling someone in a mocking manner. That's it, really.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Utilt only after a weak SH Nair.. Although I'd rather go for a grab whenever possible.

On a side note: Merry Christmas and stuff, ppl

sonicchristmas.jpg

Last edited:

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed it varies from character to character.

Uthrow>Spring>Rising Uair works on most starting around 50%/60% but on characters like ROB you can Uthrow>Spring>Rising Fair as early as 20%/30%. Pretty legit. I want to do more research on each character and see how escapable it is depending on percent.

I almost never land a utilt, let alone kill with it.

Which is a shame because I actually kinda liked utilt in Brawl. For some reason I just see less opportunity for it now.

I'm curious about Uthrow>Spring>Bair... Most people spam airdodge when you spring, so maybe Bair could help punish the airdodges. I know it can kills at certain percents.
I'll open a research thread for Uthrow>Spring options as soon as I finish Uthrow>Spring>Uair kill % data (16 characters left).

About Utilt, I only use it after I hit someone with Nair before landing.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Most of my UTilts have also been netcode ****ing up inputs, like itll lag spike and I meant to UAir (Since I use Tap Jump) and itll make me UTilt instead.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
So, who here uses secondaries? What would be a good secondary to cover Sonic's bad MUs?

Been playing on FG with Little Mac for fun and god dang it, is it fun.

I'll always be a Sonic-only player, though

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Utilt only after a weak SH Nair.. Although I'd rather go for a grab whenever possible.
Same. Nair > Grab is way too sick.
On a side note: Merry Christmas and stuff, ppl

sonicchristmas.jpg
merry steakmas sonics

winningsteakmeme093.jpg
I'm curious about Uthrow>Spring>Bair... Most people spam airdodge when you spring, so maybe Bair could help punish the airdodges. I know it can kills at certain percents.
I'll open a research thread for Uthrow>Spring options as soon as I finish Uthrow>Spring>Uair kill % data (16 characters left).
I usually just opt for waiting to punish the airdodge with Uair. Uair is just more reliable from that height to kill since it'll send closer to the vertical blastzone instead of Bairing them away.
So, who here uses secondaries? What would be a good secondary to cover Sonic's bad MUs?

I don't know if any of the characters I play cover bad MUs. I just use Robin and Pit for fun. Also been dabbling with Villager recently.

Little Mac vs Sonic is literally the funniest MU ever. Everyone that tries it against me maybe gets one or two hits then proceeds to get two stocked. Grab, throw, bair, gg. Like, second they're in the air you just go ham and gimp without minimal to no effort.
my life.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385

I mess around with a few characters, but Mega Man feels like he'd be the only one that has a use for me to go along with Sonic. In theory, it sounds like he'd be a good backup character at least, but I just feel like I'll never play a character comfortably enough to think I have a better chance of winning the match than I do with Sonic.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Hey kids. I have a WiiU now so I'm playing this game.
What do I need to know that's changed since Brawl? I played some vs. Vinnie on WiiU at NEC after my marvel top 16 matches finished but that's about the best competitive experience I have with the new smash so far haha.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Added some of you people to my Wii U Friend List. I haven't played many Sonic dittos, but maybe they're at least tolerable now?

Plus, with Sonics placing higher and higher it will be just a matter of time until we see more Sonic dittos in big tournaments (I think).

Anyway, at least I hope we don't lag much (I do have a LAN adapter, though).

Last edited:
NNID
MasterHavik
Hey gang. I'm back..yeah Kirby doesn't suck.....guess I can keep my old name. YAY!!! I still may focus on sonic this time, since he is much easier. So Kirby, Mac, ZSS, and Zedla. Man I love the family. I need to get a new meme started in this community. I may get a meme for Mac players. Btw Merry after xmas to yall. I got a free 3ds XL (dat persona Q edition). And happy new year gang.

Cool!

A lot.

If I can add......what changed? The game is actually fun and not slow as **** compared to brawl. Brawl is something I wanna forget. The only thing the game gave me is some good music and Sonic.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Added some of you people to my Wii U Friend List. I haven't played many Sonic dittos, but maybe they're at least tolerable now?
Not much different, but sweet! I'll be sure to check my Wii U sometime this weekend.
Happy Holidays!
Woo!
If I can add......what changed?
Sonic, or the game as a whole?

There's plenty of little things that change the game a lot. Most notably imo is airdodging into the ground gives you lag and the time it takes to drop shield is different depending on the situation... Not things that sound incredibly different but definitely change the way the game is played.

This game is faster in some ways but slower in others... It's weird.
Damn lol. I know some general stuff about his moveset that's changed like no ascsc, dair/spring nerfs, homing attack changes, etc. What do we momentum cancel with now? I'm still not sure of that and I've been trying to use fair like in brawl but it doesn't seem that great.
Don't forget Bair having a lot of landing lag... And our super awesome new mechanic BSBS...

Momentum Canceling no longer exists, unless you're referring to after the use of a spring... I think airdodge works the best now. Fair is still decent for it, Uair is awful, and Bair/Nair never seem that good for it either (not that I tested intensively).

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Also @ WedginatorX WedginatorX cypher grabbing is gone, even though theres no need o worry about it anyway since up b snaps the ledge.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Also @ WedginatorX WedginatorX cypher grabbing is gone, even though theres no need o worry about it anyway since up b snaps the ledge.
Friendly reminder that you can choose to ignore the ledge snapped upB by either upBing in reverse, or by holding down as you rise up to the ledge. :applejack:

Or more foolishly, by upBing within 2 seconds of grabbing the ledge.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There a Sonic Player Finder 'round here?
I considered doing something along those lines. Maybe what we should do is instead of just making a Skype list, everyone can submit their info and include their Skype name as well... That we have a full master list.

If not, I'll just make a new thread to keep it more organized.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
If you drop from the ledge jump to the wall, and do a wall jump then immediately spin dash to the stage you land on it. Not sure how useful this is, but it seems like a recovery to mix things up.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Anyone have great videos of a good Sonic player around? Looking for some good inspiration.
I mean, there's a whole thread dedicated to for the purpose of archiving some of the more spectacular matches that involve Sonic.

I won't lie, they may not be the best as not everybody posts them to the thread or is aware of it; but, you'll be hard-pressed to find much else.

... Speaking of, I think I have a pretty good mirror match that is worth submitting.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Question:
Would you guys prefer a separate Player Finder thread, or would you like it to work in tandem with the Video Archive? That way you can not only look up players, but you could also see how they play.

Just a thought, and I'd have to see if @ Phoenix_Dark Phoenix_Dark would be into the idea.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I wouldn't have a problem adding it, but it's own thread makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

Smash Rookie
Is this like an intro thread? I just got the game a few days ago and started playing sonic. Ive never really played smash competitively but am looking into getting decent.

My bad if this isnt the thread for that lol.

PsychoSy

Smash Cadet
Is this like an intro thread? I just got the game a few days ago and started playing sonic. Ive never really played smash competitively but am looking into getting decent.

It's more of a social thread than an intro if I'm not mistaken. If your looking for an intro thread I would suggest going here http://smashboards.com/forums/welcome-center-meet-greet.231/ to introduce yourself. Other than that, Welcome to Smashboards!

Zoidberg747

Smash Rookie
It's more of a social thread than an intro if I'm not mistaken. If your looking for an intro thread I would suggest going here to introduce yourself. Other than that, Welcome to Smashboards!
Fair enough.

As far as the player finder goes, I think a separate thread would be best.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh man, We're getting established as having a good character, and now all the new folk come running!

I think I remember why I stuck to bad characters in the first place. I guess I'm gonna main WFT now.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I wouldn't have a problem adding it, but it's own thread makes more sense to me.
Yeah, based off what I'm hearing I think I'll just go ahead and make it it's own thread. Thanks everyone for the input!

No worries! I'd like to hope people can feel comfortable introducing themselves here, as it's a social thread for anyone interested in Sonic. It's much more laid back than the rest of the threads. When I make the Player Finder, that will probably better serve as an "introduce yourself" sort of environment. The social thread admittedly gets pretty... Cliquey.

Welcome, and if you haven't already, I hope the stickies help you in advancing your competitive knowledge. I highly recommend exploring a lot of the fundamentals first before trying to explore Sonic's quirks to deeply. He's a bit untraditional and it might be easier to start with more general gameplay knowledge.
Oh man, We're getting established as having a good character, and now all the new folk come running!

I think I remember why I stuck to bad characters in the first place. I guess I'm gonna main WFT now.
Brawl: "Sonic's not garbage! He's mid tier!"
Sm4sh: "Sonic's not top 5! He's mid tier!"

Top Bottom