• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
If it makes you feel better, he probably won't give you a symphony either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not really Smash related at all, but do any of you guys follow the Sonic Hacking Contest?

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

http://shc.sonicresearch.org/sonic/entry

But yeah, if you have right emulator for the Genesis games, or if you have a Steam copy of Sonic Generations, there are a lot of cool stuff to be had here.

Some of my favourites so far:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I haven't played ANY sonic games ever since I moved into my apartment two months ago. I wish they would remake the first two Sonic Adventure games for the NX sometimes.

Not really Smash related at all, but do any of you guys follow the Sonic Hacking Contest?

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

http://shc.sonicresearch.org/sonic/entry

But yeah, if you have right emulator for the Genesis games, or if you have a Steam copy of Sonic Generations, there are a lot of cool stuff to be had here.

Some of my favourites so far:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Hey guys, why do people say the Sonic Ditto's or versing Sonic is like Cancer?

:135:
It's because of some high-level metagame wonkiness. A lot of high-tier and top-tier characters have rushdown styles that reward aggressiveness with big damage strings and kill setups. People love it when a player goes deep and clutches out a match by the skin of their teeth.

Sonic is different because, in spite of his fast speed, he has easily-countered approaches and needs to bait an opponent into making a mistake to get the same rewards as mentioned above. This leads to many high-level Sonics adopting a mostly defensive playstyle with hit-and-run tactics. Now imagine two of those defensive Sonics fighting each other.

That, and the constant spinning sounds he makes. A lot of people can't stand that noise.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It's because of some high-level metagame wonkiness. A lot of high-tier and top-tier characters have rushdown styles that reward aggressiveness with big damage strings and kill setups. People love it when a player goes deep and clutches out a match by the skin of their teeth.

Sonic is different because, in spite of his fast speed, he has easily-countered approaches and needs to bait an opponent into making a mistake to get the same rewards as mentioned above. This leads to many high-level Sonics adopting a mostly defensive playstyle with hit-and-run tactics. Now imagine two of those defensive Sonics fighting each other.

That, and the constant spinning sounds he makes. A lot of people can't stand that noise.
But I though Sonic could play an aggressive style of game play?

Also, I don't see what's wrong with playing a defensive hit-and-run tactic. It's actually a very smart time of game play.Though I guess i could get boring quickly.

Also, I don't mind Sonic's Spin attack noise. I quiet like it actually.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Sonic doesn't do aggression all that well. Ever since the beginning he's had an evasive, opportunistic style of play. Even 6WX has gotten more and more patient in his game in order to keep up with the high level meta.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
So I turned on Sonic Runners today to find myself staring at this message:

How exactly did this slip past the radar?

Also they decided to make the menu musics (instrumental) Pumpkin Hill and Zor's Tango. Pretty cool IMO.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
THIS IS HILARIOUS. THANK YOU SONIC TEAM.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAA

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sonic doesn't do aggression all that well. Ever since the beginning he's had an evasive, opportunistic style of play. Even 6WX has gotten more and more patient in his game in order to keep up with the high level meta.
Oh. How come Sonic can do aggressive? Is it because of the endlag on a number of his moves?

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Oh. How come Sonic can do aggressive? Is it because of the endlag on a number of his moves?

Kind of. I'm bad at explaining, but it's basically because he has tools that reward being defensive, and not really any tools that reward aggression. The fact that his Spin Dash is pretty safe on shield and can be cancelled makes it excellent to camp with, and the spring gets him out of a lot of situations. He has a ton of ways to reset the neutral.

If we compare him to another fast character who is aggressive, like Falcon for example, then we can sort of see how his tools are different and benefit being aggressive more. Falcon has good aerials for spacing, like Nair and Bair. Combine this with his fast falling speed, and he has a lot of ways he can get in up close and play mind games. He can short hop fast fall around your shield, keeping you guessing on whether he's going to do an aerial or just land normally and maybe grab you. This is something that other aggressive characters have in common. Mario, ZSS, and Fox also can play in that sort of way. These characters also all have at least frame 2 jabs, which helps with fighting in close quarters.

Sonic can't do this, a primary reason being that he doesn't really have good pressuring aerials. None of them are fast and rangey enough simultaneously to put that same fear in people's hearts. He also falls kind of slowly, so tomahawking is much more telegraphed. If Sonic is jumping around your shield, you're going to hit him with an aerial, punish one of Sonic's aerials by shielding it, or just evade him if you see him land. Sonic just doesn't benefit from being in that up close, pressuring position. Even if he did, I have a feeling that defensive play would still be optimal, because as I said, Spin Dash is amazing to camp with, and you get 22-28% damage for free if you hit someone with it.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ah, I see.

Yeah, no worries. I'm actually surprised we're finally removing that section.

:093:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah I'm surprised they're doing that since I'd figure they'd keep it open until we know 100% sure there are no more DLC Characters coming (Which is probably still a while from now, I think we'll get an announcement of at least one or two characters prior to E3. But the very last character(/s) might be saved for E3 so that there's at least some hype). According to the data mining, at least 3 slots are open.

At least there is the group threads, but yeah no more character speculation across a major board.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That was my thought too. Won't stop people from speculating...

:093:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Sooo, can someone explain what will happen? The character boards will be moved to another place? Or are there going to be separate boards for each character?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, I just finished a drawing of Sonic and was wondering if I could get you opinion on it.
SCAN0015.jpg

Note: I didn't trace this. This is free hand.

Kind of. I'm bad at explaining, but it's basically because he has tools that reward being defensive, and not really any tools that reward aggression. The fact that his Spin Dash is pretty safe on shield and can be cancelled makes it excellent to camp with, and the spring gets him out of a lot of situations. He has a ton of ways to reset the neutral.

If we compare him to another fast character who is aggressive, like Falcon for example, then we can sort of see how his tools are different and benefit being aggressive more. Falcon has good aerials for spacing, like Nair and Bair. Combine this with his fast falling speed, and he has a lot of ways he can get in up close and play mind games. He can short hop fast fall around your shield, keeping you guessing on whether he's going to do an aerial or just land normally and maybe grab you. This is something that other aggressive characters have in common. Mario, ZSS, and Fox also can play in that sort of way. These characters also all have at least frame 2 jabs, which helps with fighting in close quarters.

Sonic can't do this, a primary reason being that he doesn't really have good pressuring aerials. None of them are fast and rangey enough simultaneously to put that same fear in people's hearts. He also falls kind of slowly, so tomahawking is much more telegraphed. If Sonic is jumping around your shield, you're going to hit him with an aerial, punish one of Sonic's aerials by shielding it, or just evade him if you see him land. Sonic just doesn't benefit from being in that up close, pressuring position. Even if he did, I have a feeling that defensive play would still be optimal, because as I said, Spin Dash is amazing to camp with, and you get 22-28% damage for free if you hit someone with it.
Oh, that makes sense. But if range is an issue, would that then make Mario on of the worst pressure characters, since is has the same if not short range than Sonic? Also, he too falls pretty slow. Unless his fast fall is quicker than Sonics

Yeah, Spin Dash/Charge is a pretty great combo. I mean, it can equal 30% from only 2 moves. I mean, that's pretty cool. Also, I though Sonic had a fast jab?

Sooo, can someone explain what will happen? The character boards will be moved to another place? Or are there going to be separate boards for each character?
I think what they are getting at is that character boards such as Wolf DLC or any others that are similar will be closed down and moved to another thread. But char threads like Sonic, Robin and other characters that ARE in Smash will remain open.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Hey guys, I just finished a drawing of Sonic and was wondering if I could get you opinion on it.
View attachment 79947
Note: I didn't trace this. This is free hand.

Oh, that makes sense. But if range is an issue, would that then make Mario on of the worst pressure characters, since is has the same if not short range than Sonic? Also, he too falls pretty slow. Unless his fast fall is quicker than Sonics

Yeah, Spin Dash/Charge is a pretty great combo. I mean, it can equal 30% from only 2 moves. I mean, that's pretty cool. Also, I though Sonic had a fast jab?

I think what they are getting at is that character boards such as Wolf DLC or any others that are similar will be closed down and moved to another thread. But char threads like Sonic, Robin and other characters that ARE in Smash will remain open.

Ay, that's a sick drawing. Noice.

To answer your questions on the Sonic aggression thing, yeah Mario could theoretically not be good at pressure due to a lack of range, but his moves are so fast that it doesn't matter. If a Mario is hopping around your shield, you know that dropping it could lead to eating a lightning quick Bair to the face, and he has a very good dash grab that leads to insane damage. That gives him an incentive to really get in your face. As for jab, Sonic's is decently fast, but it comes out frame 3, which isn't phenomenal. Usually frame 1-2 jabs are the ones that are considered really quick.

Top Bottom