• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
what exactly is the input to jump backwards out of spindash on shield, i see sonics do it all the time but mess it up when i try it myself. Here is an example of komorikiri doing it, joe and 6wx do it all the time as well

https://youtu.be/Z5-nbf487rU?t=5m2s

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
what exactly is the input to jump backwards out of spindash on shield, i see sonics do it all the time but mess it up when i try it myself. Here is an example of komorikiri doing it, joe and 6wx do it all the time as well

I don't see what's the problem here.. Just jump backwards after the SDJ (assuming you don't have BSBS activated, that is).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

So glad I'm not a mod.

It's not so bad.
Quick question:

https://youtu.be/8M-Dx1OTvqI?t=3m5s

How did 6WX wall jump and guide Sonic back onto the stage?
he was mashing so he got the walljump and immediately footstooled off of zss.
Yep.

I don't see what's the problem here.. Just jump backwards after the SDJ (assuming you don't have BSBS activated, that is).
Yep.

The answer to both of these questions is just a matter of mashing jump, lol. For the second example, it's just holding backwards when jumping out of a SDJ, if of course, you have a double jump. Nothing advanced to it.

:093:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
is sonics fsmash a disjointed hitbox? besides that and his spring does he have any other disjoints? Are the only 3 times sonic is invincible during the start up of his upsmash, during his up B, and the hop of spin dash?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's not that bad because you're a mod of a particularly small forum.
Can you imagine modding the Smash 4 General? :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
is sonics fsmash a disjointed hitbox? besides that and his spring does he have any other disjoints? Are the only 3 times sonic is invincible during the start up of his upsmash, during his up B, and the hop of spin dash?
yes
yes
yes, i think (also technically during certain points of his throws)
It's not that bad because you're a mod of a particularly small forum.
Can you imagine modding the Smash 4 General? :applejack:
Yes, but as far as character boards go, Sonic is rather active and have you seen the amount of truly awful threads we get? I'm pretty proud of this place though. We do good work.

I've specifically chosen to stay as just a moderator here because there are so many sections of the site that would lead me to self-harm.

spiNR

Smash Rookie
NNID
spiNR17
Anybody have any tips for the Robin match-up? A top player in my state uses him and I just have the hardest of times dealing with his projectiles and set-ups.

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
Let me start by saying I am not a Sonic main.

What are some of the more common AT that you see Sonic do in competitive play?
I have almost no experience with/against Sonic and want to know what he is most likely to do.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but could someone explain why Fox is considered a bad match up? The MU thread seems a little out of date

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
Sorry, but could someone explain why Fox is considered a bad match up? The MU thread seems a little out of date
From my understanding of the match up, fox has a very strong neutral and can rack up damage quickly, but is bad in a disadvantageous state. Sonic is a character that likes to reset to neutral a lot because he doesn't have long strings or combos. Since fox's neutral is greater than Sonic's neutral, it makes it a tough match up for us. I don't know how right I am about all of this, so someone feel free to correct me

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Basically what you just said is most of what makes the MU a pain. Though we can abuse fox's recovery a lot more than he can ours and his light weight and being a fast faller does let us get some nice heavy strings on him. I'd say the MU is only slightly in his favor though.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Fox wins neutral, but Sonic gets more consistent reward off of neutral with a grab or spin dash combo dealing at least 15%, has an easier time resetting when in disadvantage, and sets up kills easier. I don't see why it's so accepted Fox wins

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Uh... Fox gets huge rewards from neutral... Long, true combos into high damage or kill confirms...

Only place where Sonic is most dominant is edgeguarding. Fox can't edgeguard us but we can edgeguard him. Even then though his recovery is way better than Brawl's and with his ground game being so good, he's fine. Even his air game with Uair juggles are insane. He can get huge damage from Uair combos/chains.

I do agree it's not a terrible match-up, but probably slight advantage to him.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I have no idea how to play sonic but i know like 2 things about him, im gonna ask some stupid questions, dont hate me.

I know sonics combos come out of his spin dash, like down-b to up-air, are there any follow-ups to the up-air?
what use does the homing attack serve?
what are his better throws?
as a follow-up to the last question, what purpose do the throws have?
his recovery, the spring jump, the spring does like 2 percent? how would that be used in a match? other than for some mean-ass gimps?
What are his best kill moves?

i will have more questions later, just wait for me to come up with them...

Luig

Confused
I have no idea how to play sonic but i know like 2 things about him, im gonna ask some stupid questions, dont hate me.

I know sonics combos come out of his spin dash, like down-b to up-air, are there any follow-ups to the up-air?
what use does the homing attack serve?
what are his better throws?
as a follow-up to the last question, what purpose do the throws have?
his recovery, the spring jump, the spring does like 2 percent? how would that be used in a match? other than for some mean-*** gimps?
What are his best kill moves?

i will have more questions later, just wait for me to come up with them...
You can follow up with a spring>another up air at a really tight percent range.
If you just want damage out of the sd/sc, I'd recommend nair.
Bair works sometimes, and does the most damage.
You can footstool out of it, though I don't see any real application for this.
You can also HA out of it. At low percents, do the shortened one, at high percents, you can try the full one.
Uthrow is his best combo throw.
Uthrow>Fair or uair
Uthrow>bair and nair sometimes work
Uthrow can also ko, as well as fthrow and bthrow.
All of these can ko, but Uthrow is more reliable at high percents, bthrow is better near the ledge, and fthrow is his fastest throw which can mess up their di.
The spring is a great recovery, and the spring is great for hitting them in the 1 or 2 frame vulnerability on the ledge snap, as well as being a devastating gimping tool.
Fsmash and usmash are his best kill moves. Dsmash is good while edgegaurding, nair can kill out of a spin, and HA can kill as well.

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I forgot bair. Well, it's his best kill option due to it having a lot of knockback and good range. Also, don't use usmash except for covering ledge options.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
No mention of Bair? For shame.

Bair is easily Sonic's best raw KO option. Can even be combo'd into from spin.

Usmash sucks.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Long overdue, but finally added the patch notes for v1.1.1 to the OP.

The most tame patch of all time for us...

Giovani44

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicthehegdehog
3DS FC
2664-2812-1423
I was re-watching Sonic's trailer and I was thinking how do you guys think Sonic would be if his moves for example specials were the same as they were in brawl, but his moves had the the positives they have now like his dair, kill power and such ?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He pivoted the sideB and jumped out of sdr after it hit the shield a few times. It loses horizontal momentum the more it hits something. :applejack:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
can someone help me out with sonic's foxtrot/dancetrot? It's not at all like any other character's fox/dancetrot
Didn't see anyone respond to this, so I will...

Sonic's foxtrot is long... very, very, long.
What will happen is, long after the stick goes netural from tapping that dash, Sonic is in his sliding stop animation, and he'll still do a dash attack as long as he's in that sliding stop no matter what you do (except jump, upsmash, or JCUS)

What I did notice is that if you quickly double tap forward, he foxtrots into his screech stop animation, and from that, he can do anything (jab, fsmash, dtilt, etc.) He even gets a standing grab animation as opposed to the running grab animation that he'd get from that sliding stop.

Ultimately, in terms of foxtrotting, I find that double tapping that stick makes for superior Sonic foxtrotting. It still has him move farther than most of the cast, but at least I can get back to a neutral state and therefore have all of my options available. Pivots and perfect pivots are almost superior in most cases, but since pivoting is only most cases and perfect pivot is a rather difficult tech, double tap foxtrot may have its uses for you until you learn and/or perfect the perfect pivot. I double tap foxtrot because I don't put in the time to learn perfect pivot, but if you're serious about this game, learn to perfect pivot.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Finally finished my newest tutorial! Will be updating the OP with this as well.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
They do. And if they don't, it's because the character can hit them out of it. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, I use Nair a lot now but it's for certain situations.

Sometimes I'll Uair > Double Jump > Nair which will either combo or if they airdodge, it lasts long enough to punish it. Or I'll do the same idea but with an empty jump, bait a reaction, then double jump Nair.

Even then you normally have to fastfall it at a certain point, otherwise it's not safe on hit.

At super low percents, some characters can be Uthrown > Nair'd for a true combo and maximum damage, but other characters it doesn't true combo and on most you need to read DI because you have to space with like, the core of the Nair. That's why I'll opt for Uthrow > Bair on certain characters at low percents (for really good damage) or just take the safe Uthrow > Uair and try to get another hit from a double jump Nair depending on their DI/reaction.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The next post in my lab thread was probably going to be an in depth , exact percentage breakdown of when up air, nair and bair all combo out of up throw.

For example, on bowser jr, up throw to bair is a combo from 0- about 35, and requires a double jump after 13

Top Bottom