• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
oh my f****** god i'm a scrub. just spent three hours trying to learn spin shot just to realize that I don't need to hold a direction when using spin dash. After intiating it you just need to hold B. *** me so much. Spin shotting like a pro now

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
oh my f****** god i'm a scrub. just spent three hours trying to learn spin shot just to realize that I don't need to hold a direction when using spin dash. After intiating it you just need to hold B. *** me so much. Spin shotting like a pro now
Was my video not clear? Feedback would be appreciated. I tried explaining it the best I could so I apologize if there were any misconceptions.

:093:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
No it was clear. Problem was me not being used to sonic as a character and lack of knowledge. Your video was perfect. I'm using classic controller since gamecube controllers are non existent. I can reliably do spin shot by using the regular attack button (A button) The second stick for classic controller is a bit weird but I'm getting used to spinshotting with the second stick

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
is sanic teh bushpig one of those commitment characters that you have to use full time to be effective(think shulk, rosalina, etc)or can you get away with using sanic teh bushpig as a secondary

also why does everyone hate sanic teh bushpigs forums

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
is sanic teh bushpig one of those commitment characters that you have to use full time to be effective(think shulk, rosalina, etc)or can you get away with using sanic teh bushpig as a secondary

also why does everyone hate sanic teh bushpigs forums
why are you the way that you are

Moises301

Smash Rookie
Any tips for using forward b at the edge of Battlefield? Timing is a bit strict.

iKiRiX

Smash Rookie
The way you can run to the edge of the stage and reverse forward b, Sonic sort of rolls off and back on the stage, all as part of the spin dash animation.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ah, yes. I wasn't sure what else he could mean, but that's probably what it would have to be.

It's nothing amazing, but it can be used to catch opponents off-guard who try to recover above the ledge and think you're going to just run and grab the ledge. Probably not as practical anymore since trumping and all that is a thing which changes these dynamics.

If you time it right, you can probably hit them right before they try to grab the ledge if you bait them. Could be decent.

Oh, and welcome to Smashboards, btw!

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Welcome to the Boards, @ iKiRiX iKiRiX !
I came to post today about a potential Sonic set up I've found, but it is quite situational. At high percents on most characters, if you connect a spindash and they DI out/away in the direction you're facing, you can follow up with a homing attack-- but beware, the homing attack actually doesn't hit, which is exactly what you want. Doing the homing attack while they DI will put you right next to them, angled slightly above/to the left. By this point, the homing attack has ended, which puts the Sonic in the perfect position to d-air exactly where the meteor hitbox is. I've landed it a few times and I'm not sure if they can actually react and prevent it or not based on the hitstun of spindash.
TL;DR: when an opponent DIs away after spindash at high percents, you can homing attack which won't hit but will put you in a good position to d-air spike.

iKiRiX

Smash Rookie
Thank you!
Sounds pretty cool if it can be pulled off. Btw, if its at high percents, and this happens near the edge would you be in a perfect position to just fair for a kill, or is the percentage you're talking about too low for that?

D

Deleted member 269706

Who are some of Sonic's worst match-ups? Seems like he just dominates 90% of the cast.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Thank you!
Sounds pretty cool if it can be pulled off. Btw, if its at high percents, and this happens near the edge would you be in a perfect position to just fair for a kill, or is the percentage you're talking about too low for that?
You could f-air just as easily, that would likely kill but I can't guarantee it. I only favor the d-air spike because it's stylish.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
New video on the way. Hoping to have it out this week.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 6.51.03 PM.png

Decided to go with covering the new Spring Warp glitch, but Instant Spin Dash Jump will be next. There's less to cover on Spring Warp and it's very new, so I figured to start with that just to get another tech out there.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
False.

90% of players just don't know the match-up.

So this.

Another popular question sonic mains get thats answer hasn't changed since brawl

Sonic noob #98472:
Q: What's sonic worse match-up?
A: People who know the mu.

Seriously. Learn the mu, learn what the character can and can't do

D

Deleted member 269706

False.

90% of players just don't know the match-up.

Fair enough, but you didn't answer my question. I've been keeping up with several tournaments, and other than Diddy Kongs, I don't see many characters who give Sonic a run for his money. Sure ZeRo was able to take out Dabuz's with Shulk, but it's ZeRo for crying out loud. Ryo couldn't touch Sonic as Ike, Ally's Mario had a rough time, and even Acid and Gohan's Captain Falcons haven't shown much against the character. And to those saying "learn the match-up", that's what I'm trying to do, you're not helping by telling me what I'm already trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Fair enough, but you didn't answer my question.
It's pretty subjective across these boards, but common complaints are luigi, shiek, rosa, and diddy.

I think pika, fox, and falcon, shulk, ness and olimar aren't great for sonic either.

Sonic's versatile enough to be played many different ways (less so in this game sadly) so some "hard" matchups other sonic mains find not so bad because of their playstyle

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
Hyped for the new video!! Can't wait!! c:

Also, hey guys!! Lol

You're not helping by telling me what I'm already trying to do.
The simplest way I can place this is that you have to know how he works depending on the player using him.

Sonic's versatile play makes him a very difficult to predict if the player knows how to handle his speed.

Since he's been buffed since Brawl, he's definitely more of a meanace now. So far, there's no solid data on the specifics of matchups, so your best bets are just to expect him to what he does best.

Overwhelm you with speed.

Keeping that in mind, Sonic's lack of projectiles practically force him to approach you, because of his speed. He can change his momentum so drastically, he's essentially unpredictable.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't like repeating myself.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Lmfao Sorry 'bout dat. :B

This thread has a lot of interesting posts. I've been liking everything.
Glad you're enjoying everything here! Feel free to contribute anything you want to discussion. Everyone on the Sonic forums are pretty friendly.

Anyway, the second thing I actually wanted to post about today aside from my spike setup is some contribution to the matchup discussion that seems to be going on. Yes, when someone knows the matchup well it's bad for Sonic. But you can say that about any character. Sonic has a lot of different approach options and mix ups (hence the flow chart I've been constructing). You can make it happen even if someone knows the MU. It's always possible. Condition them and capitalize on mistakes.
What Sonic REALLY struggles against is campy, defensive play. Characters and players who can constantly avoid Sonic, and wall him out with projectiles or moves that interrupt/out range him.
Generally speaking, I think Sonic can definitely compete with the high tiers and does great against the rest of the cast. In my experience, characters usually never define the MU against Sonic-- players do.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lmfao Sorry 'bout dat. :B

This thread has a lot of interesting posts. I've been liking everything.
I don't mind much tbh. It's kinda fun being reminded of stuff.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Before I dip, I'm gonna share another nasty set-up that's sealed me matches in tournament:
During low percents, down-throw your opponents a few times on stage. Make a mental note of their reactions. If they don't tech or get-up attack, that's exactly what you wanna see. In order to prevent them from being conditioned into actually doing a get-up attack, make sure you don't try to chase them at low percents after down throw if you want this kill set up to work. Here's the fun part: by this point, hopefully you're in the prime position of having an opponent who doesn't tech or attack after down throw. Since Sonic's down-throw puts the opponent straight forward on the ground, you can get a running up-smash on them if you time it right, which kills a lot of the cast at a pretty decent percent, even more with rage.

Sorry for such a long-winded paragraph. Basically, if your opponent doesn't react offensively after down throw, you can get an up-smash tech chase.

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
How do I do the aerial spin charge spinshot? I get how to do a spinshot but with aerial down b, am I supposed to hold forward while doing the spinshot or something? When i try spinshotting an ASC I just end up doing a midair jump and not a spinshot.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
How do I do the aerial spin charge spinshot? I get how to do a spinshot but with aerial down b, am I supposed to hold forward while doing the spinshot or something? When i try spinshotting an ASC I just end up doing a midair jump and not a spinshot.
Q: What exactly is a "Spinshot"?
A: Spinshot is an AT (Advanced Technique) that allows Sonic to jump through the air while retaining the momentum of his ground speed.

Q: How do I shot spin?
A: You can Spinshot from both Side-B and Down-B. Side-B's can be done both on the ground or in the air, but Down-B's can only be done in the air. Both require you inputting jump or attack at or past a certain point during their charge.

Recommended [only?] input(s):

• Air:
[Partially Hold] or [Fully Charge] :GCR:/:GCL:+:GCB: > [Release] :GCB: > [Tap] :GCA: (Attack) or :GCY:/:GCX:(Jump) or [Flick] :GCCD: *

[Tap] :GCD:+:GCB:] > [Release :GCB:] > [Tap] :GCA: (Attack) or :GCY:/:GCX:(Jump) or [Flick] :GCCD: **

• Ground:
* Same
** N/A​

Making this video was one of my best ideas ever.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Thought it might be worth mentioning to some newer players that (as far as I've been able to pull off) you can cancel a spinshot at any point with an aerial. I usually charge up down-b on stage and spinshot out of that and am able to f-air at the apex of the arc or even drop straight down out of it with a FF n-air. It's useful if someone is rushing you down while you're charging a down-b, you can just spinshot and instantly just drop on them with a n-air. It's actually better to get the soft hit of n-air out of it because the soft hit has just enough hit-stun to get a free down smash or other punish.

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
Camalange, I've seen the video. I understand spinshot a lot better thanks to you, but with the inputs you listed, I don't get any forward momentum with down b spinshots and that's really annoying.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Camalange, I've seen the video. I understand spinshot a lot better thanks to you, but with the inputs you listed, I don't get any forward momentum with down b spinshots and that's really annoying.
You might just be missing timing? There's no need to hold forward or anything after or during the Down-B charge.

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
I figured out what it was, I kept holding down when trying to do the spinshot. Now I just got to work on the timing and applying it in my playstyle.

Here are some other question.

What are some true combos with Sonic other than Spin Dash to jump to aerial or uthrow to spring chase to uair? Comboing seems fun and I at least want to know the basics to come up with my own combos.

I heard that Sonic's approaches suck. Why? What's his best approach?

How good is Sonic's neutral game? Is it decent? Or is neutral the same as approaching (TBH, not fully sure of the difference, even though I know what each one is). Does Sonic thrive off of stage control, or is resetting to neutral throughout a set a good option?

I know in theory how to do ISDJ, but I can't execute it at all. Are there any visual cues to help me or is it just really hard? Also, is a lyric roll just a roll that's slowed down to a circle animation instead of an oval? Is there any use for it other than being ablee to acting out of it quickly?

BTW, you seem to know your ****. Thanks dude for all this insight throughout the forums.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Before I dip, I'm gonna share another nasty set-up that's sealed me matches in tournament:
During low percents, down-throw your opponents a few times on stage. Make a mental note of their reactions. If they don't tech or get-up attack, that's exactly what you wanna see. In order to prevent them from being conditioned into actually doing a get-up attack, make sure you don't try to chase them at low percents after down throw if you want this kill set up to work. Here's the fun part: by this point, hopefully you're in the prime position of having an opponent who doesn't tech or attack after down throw. Since Sonic's down-throw puts the opponent straight forward on the ground, you can get a running up-smash on them if you time it right, which kills a lot of the cast at a pretty decent percent, even more with rage.

Sorry for such a long-winded paragraph. Basically, if your opponent doesn't react offensively after down throw, you can get an up-smash tech chase.
Watching peoples reaction early game is literally the basis of Sonics game lol. I don't like usmash though in these situations because you're just too committed, and after a while of being chased down after dthrows I find people take longer to decide how to react or wait for you to approach to get up attack. If it works it works though I guess. I'm scared of using running usmash in general unless they're stuck on a platform above you, or janking around jumping around the ledge with a character with multiple jumps so you can tell when they've gotta land.

My favourite thing to do from a uthrow early %s is...well uthrow lol. People often just airdodge or nair (character dependant I guess) at which point you just wait for them to land (shielding if necessary) and just regrab for free damage. As for down throw, if I'm sure they're rolling away I run past them and pivot grab them when they've finished their roll. If I'm not sure, I literally just walk towards them. If they get up attack, they're getting regrabbed, if they roll towards me, they get ftilted and end up behind you most of the time.

:231:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
i really feel like sonic rely's on fear more that anything else!!!!!
the idea of fighting a super fast character bring a lot of stress into the opponents psychy but it can get frustrating with his all out tactics and combo's at **** but if you get your **** together and calm the **** down he is an easy foe

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
Has anybody ever brought up the Spring to FSmash Combo??

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Has anybody ever brought up the Spring to FSmash Combo??
It's a good set up if they're near the ledge recovering. Last tournament I went to, I dropped a spring on a Falcon at the ledge and he had no choice but to immediately up B again, preventing him from sweet-spotting the ledge and letting me secure the kill with a f-smash. It's definitely good. Does anyone know specific timing/spacing for it?

Top Bottom