• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
Hmm. I'll take your word for it. But I legit just don't see it. I keep trying to pause and see some kind of animation that indicates I got footstooled. But I don't. Whenever I get footstooled I usually drop some or something. It just seems like Yoshi went over my head a bit. But, you do know Sonic better than me. So I'll just have to agree with you unless I feel like experimenting with it in training some or something. Thanks, SO.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hmm. I'll take your word for it. But I legit just don't see it. I keep trying to pause and see some kind of animation that indicates I got footstooled. But I don't. Whenever I get footstooled I usually drop some or something. It just seems like Yoshi went over my head a bit. But, you do know Sonic better than me. So I'll just have to agree with you unless I feel like experimenting with it in training some or something. Thanks, SO.
If you get footstooled during Spring, there's no animation.

:093:

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
Ahhh, I see. Fair enough then. Swear to good I was gonna lose sleep over it if I didn't understand it! Haha

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
Can you either tell me how to do true combos with Sonic other than spin roll to spin jump to nair/fair/uair/bair or u throw to spring chase to uair, or which moves to mess around with to make my own combos with Sonic? I want to be able to do combos and I only seem to be able to do stereotypical Sonic stufF and I want to either learn other Sonic combos or learn enough about comboing with Sonic to make my own.

Also, are there any advanced techs with Sonic other than spinshot, ISDJ, SDSC, etc? You guys seem to only be mentioning spin dash techniques. Are there other Sonic techs from Brawl? I don't know because I didn't play Brawl competitively and I would really like to hear them.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys i would like to know what are Sonic what are is known bad MU? Can any wario main can tell me ? thanks a lot

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Hey guys, am I the only one that on occasion will run towards the opponent and do a forward b very quickly only to have it do a forward b AWAY from opponent instead?

Anyone else getting this and more importantly does anyone know what causes it and how to stop it? Thanks.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Hmmm can Sonic's SC shield cancel punish things that his regular dash grab can't? If so examples..

Also is it better to dash grab or SC shield cancel grab? I believe the shield cancel grab has less landing lag but does it have more startup or is it negligible?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Can you either tell me how to do true combos with Sonic other than spin roll to spin jump to nair/fair/uair/bair or u throw to spring chase to uair, or which moves to mess around with to make my own combos with Sonic? I want to be able to do combos and I only seem to be able to do stereotypical Sonic stufF and I want to either learn other Sonic combos or learn enough about comboing with Sonic to make my own.

Also, are there any advanced techs with Sonic other than spinshot, ISDJ, SDSC, etc? You guys seem to only be mentioning spin dash techniques. Are there other Sonic techs from Brawl? I don't know because I didn't play Brawl competitively and I would really like to hear them.
Combos? In my Sm4sh? Preposterous!

Check the guide in my signature for some Brawl info (not necessarily usable in Sm4sh, though).

Hi guys i would like to know what are Sonic what are is known bad MU? Can any wario main can tell me ? thanks a lot
Huh? Wario?

If what you're asking for is a bad MU for Sonic, I believe pretty much everyone agrees that Rosaluma is bad MU (and Sheik, but, then again, so she is for the rest of the cast except for Lucario).

Hey guys, am I the only one that on occasion will run towards the opponent and do a forward b very quickly only to have it do a forward b AWAY from opponent instead?

Anyone else getting this and more importantly does anyone know what causes it and how to stop it? Thanks.
Just don't release the analog stick and it should work fine.

Hmmm can Sonic's SC shield cancel punish things that his regular dash grab can't? If so examples..

Also is it better to dash grab or SC shield cancel grab? I believe the shield cancel grab has less landing lag but does it have more startup or is it negligible?
I think you meant SD. Anyway, pretty sure they act the same, but since we rely a LOT on baiting, SDSC is almost always the better option.

Oh, and by "dash grab" I'm presuming that you meant run->shield->grab.

how to beat ddk as sonic?
Diddy Kong? I think the MU is even, tbh. Don't get grabbed, though.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I think you meant SD. Anyway, pretty sure they act the same, but since we rely a LOT on baiting, SDSC is almost always the better option.

Oh, and by "dash grab" I'm presuming that you meant run->shield->grab.

Yes I mean dash shield grab vs dash side-b shield-cancelled grab. The side-b blah blah blah slides forward quite a bit when you do it, so I'm thinking it can punish things that have shield-pushback (diddy's fair) that a regular dash grab won't

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
What's the advantage of doing a few shield canceled Side Bs in a row? I've seen StaticManny, Seagull, and 6WX all do that. Does it bait out punishable options from the opponent, or is considered a mix up when you actually release the spindash? And another quick question: is SDJ Sonic's best escape option when begin rushed down? (ie a Luigi constantly shooting fireballs and running in with jabs, doing nothing but trying to get grabs in the neutral)

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
What's the advantage of doing a few shield canceled Side Bs in a row? I've seen StaticManny, Seagull, and 6WX all do that. Does it bait out punishable options from the opponent, or is considered a mix up when you actually release the spindash? And another quick question: is SDJ Sonic's best escape option when begin rushed down? (ie a Luigi constantly shooting fireballs and running in with jabs, doing nothing but trying to get grabs in the neutral)
Just PS the fireballs and ftilt him for approaching with a grab.

Spinshot is the best escape mechanism :4sonic: has.

:018:

Showdow

Smash Cadet
NNID
steelersuperfan
3DS FC
4442-0925-4594
I am probably a total idiot but how the heck do you cancel an aerial spin dash into a jump. I've seen people do it and even my friend who has never played Sonic in his life managed to pull it off on accident, I have tried to find some way to do it but always end up killing myself. Please help me!

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
I am probably a total idiot but how the heck do you cancel an aerial spin dash into a jump. I've seen people do it and even my friend who has never played Sonic in his life managed to pull it off on accident, I have tried to find some way to do it but always end up killing myself. Please help me!
If you still have your double jump available, you can use spin dash in the air and cancel it with your double jump. If you've already used your double jump, you won't be able to cancel your spin dash and if you're falling off the stage, you will probably die.

What's the advantage of doing a few shield canceled Side Bs in a row? I've seen StaticManny, Seagull, and 6WX all do that. Does it bait out punishable options from the opponent, or is considered a mix up when you actually release the spindash?
It's all a big guessing game for the opponent (and for Sonic). Like you said, it can force your opponents to try something that you may be able to capitalize on. Also, it's a lot like dashing and shielding, except more confusing to the opponent. Think of it this way, when the opponent hears or sees Sonic charge his Spin Dash, they need to account for the Spin Dash, shield, roll, spot dodge, grab, jump, shield drop attack, etc.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What are some situations worth using DownB over SideB? I find myself using the latter most of the time.
And iss there an alternative long or mid range punish to dash attack or dash grab that's more rewarding? The more I play, the more I begin to dislike Dash attack for its miserable damage output, and I tend to use it, dash grabbing (gonna try to incorporate SD Shield Cancel Grabs instead to replace it) and spin dashes for the majority of my punishes and I want something more to use than just these, especially something more rewarding. I also wonder if Sonic gets a mileage out of perfect pivoting....

I've been doing decently in tournaments in my region lately and some people respect my Sonic quite a bit, but I am not satisfied with my Sonic at all and want to expand my gameplay further than that.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
What are some situations worth using DownB over SideB? I find myself using the latter most of the time.
And iss there an alternative long or mid range punish to dash attack or dash grab that's more rewarding? The more I play, the more I begin to dislike Dash attack for its miserable damage output, and I tend to use it, dash grabbing (gonna try to incorporate SD Shield Cancel Grabs instead to replace it) and spin dashes for the majority of my punishes and I want something more to use than just these, especially something more rewarding. I also wonder if Sonic gets a mileage out of perfect pivoting....

I've been doing decently in tournaments in my region lately and some people respect my Sonic quite a bit, but I am not satisfied with my Sonic at all and want to expand my gameplay further than that.
Down B is very good and has many different uses from Side B.

Down B is much faster on the ground and has a totally different angle when used in the air. Also, you can jump cancel Down B instead of Shield Cancel on the ground. While Side B is somewhat Jump Cancellable (shield then jump), it is easier to do this with Down B and can lead to many powerful mixups. One advantage Down B has over side B is that due to its speed, you can punish rolls much easier with Down B.

Down B can punish many things that Side B simply cannot due to its ground speed. Down B is a great tech chaser after down throws, jab locks, foot stools, etc. Down B from short hop is a powerful tool as it brings you to the ground faster due to the down input. Down B is often times (not always) a better option at mid/long range due to its faster ground speed assuming the opponent cannot interrupt you easily at that range (Shiek's Needles/Falco's Lasers).

Finally, you can spin shot out of Down B. If you start charging Side B in the air, you're forced to continue charging, hop slowly, or to release it. Down B allows you to Spin Shot cancel your Down B charge instead of the above commitment in the air. However, make sure not to spam this as Spin Shot is easily punished if read.

One last little personal trick I like to do is to run away, reverse short hop Down B. Most people expect the timing and trajectory of Side B. Side B after SH makes you more vulnerable to opponent SH FAirs/BAirs/NAirs. This technique usually goes under aerials and travels on the ground faster making this is a very viable mixup. For example, this can slip straight under a Diddy's misread SH FAir and punish him hard for this. Side B will either get smacked out of the air or be too slow to punish Diddy's SH FAir in many situations.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I'm gonna be 100% honest: I cannot, for my life, play against what seems to be the average Luigi. The walls of fireballs, single jabs, and short hop aerials seems to really kill me and always put me in a position to get grabbed by Luigi, racking up big damage and kills. I've tried PSing the fireballs and f-tilting his grab attempt, which works to some extent, but I'm barely able to get off spindash combos or set ups for damage/kills. Is it the playstyle or character that's killing me here? Am I just not being patient enough? Should I really just evade, pick and choose my opportunities, and let the match drag on to win? ITS DRIVING ME TO MY WIT'S END!!

Edit: During some matches against a Luigi main/friend, I did use the spinshot to hop around the stage and avoid fire/grabs, but it really only seemed to make the match longer without putting me in an advantageous position. There were certain situations where out of a spinshot I was able to punish a whiffed aerial, but for the most part, nothing too good came of it.

Also, any advice against Captain Falcon? (ie how to DI out of his combos) He's another character that really gets at me, although it might just be the play style of the players I meet who seem to just partake in footsies until they have a good opportunity to pull some funky stuff. This kind of crap is gonna end my tournament life. SOS D:

Last edited:

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna be 100% honest: I cannot, for my life, play against what seems to be the average Luigi. The walls of fireballs, single jabs, and short hop aerials seems to really kill me and always put me in a position to get grabbed by Luigi, racking up big damage and kills. I've tried PSing the fireballs and f-tilting his grab attempt, which works to some extent, but I'm barely able to get off spindash combos or set ups for damage/kills. Is it the playstyle or character that's killing me here? Am I just not being patient enough? Should I really just evade, pick and choose my opportunities, and let the match drag on to win? ITS DRIVING ME TO MY WIT'S END!!

Edit: During some matches against a Luigi main/friend, I did use the spinshot to hop around the stage and avoid fire/grabs, but it really only seemed to make the match longer without putting me in an advantageous position. There were certain situations where out of a spinshot I was able to punish a whiffed aerial, but for the most part, nothing too good came of it.

Also, any advice against Captain Falcon? (ie how to DI out of his combos) He's another character that really gets at me, although it might just be the play style of the players I meet who seem to just partake in footsies until they have a good opportunity to pull some funky stuff. This kind of crap is gonna end my tournament life. SOS D:
Luigi

I find Luigi to be fairly tolerable. I believe Luigi's fireballs are -frames on hit if you are in his face and he shoots a fireball on the ground. Use this to your advantage and jab if you are in his face and eat a fireball. For aerial fireballs, keep in mind that Luigi will either be going up or coming down. If he's going up, see the next section. If he's coming down, you need to be weary of the spacing. If he shot a ground fireball and then jumps to descend with an aerial fireball, you have enough time to power shield the ground fireball and get in his face for a mix up. Be cautious of NAir.

Luigi is super floaty but also slow moving in the air. You can cross him up on the ground as he's landing. You'll usually want to approach from behind him as his NAir's priority is insane. Did Luigi just full hop? Run under him and start charging a side B towards him. See how he responds. If he does a BAir, shield it or let your side B go. If he shields on landing, go for a Side B if you think you can hit him before he lands. Luigi cannot punish you as easily as Shiek, Diddy, or Captain Falcon can on a shielded Side B, so use this to your advantage.

If Luigi has a fireball hugging the ground and charges you for a grab with the fireball as cover, you can use many mix ups to counter this. You can charge Down B or Side B, either jump cancel or shield jump cancel as he's approaching (I prefer Down B at this range) and descend with a FF NAir/BAir if you confirm his whiffed grab, or empty hop and go for a ground mix up. If he tries to jump to hit you, you can double jump and spring him or even go for a FAir or Aerial Side B/Down B to stuff his attempt. Finally, if you're not willing to go for this mix up or think he will shield your NAir or can't afford to eat a throw/USmash, just Spin Shot past him and reset it to neutral. This also gives you more space to retreat. If he tries this mixup while you have a lot of room to retreat, just retreat and start charging side B and see what he does. If he reads your retreat, he may continue running and go for the grab or dash attack at which point you release the side B or shield and/roll/spotdodge. If he whiffs the grab and you are still didn't cancel your Side B, that's a free Side B.

If Luigi is spamming aerial Down B to stuff your options while he's landing, I personally like to keep getting hit by it until I wrack him to kill %. Luigi's Down B isn't too damaging especially if all the hits don't connect. On top of this, he doesn't have any really good follow ups and he'll have trouble catching you as you land. Then he will do this and you FSmash/BThrow/Pivot BThrow for the KO.

Finally, if you are in 'boxing' range of Luigi, try to get out ASAP. His jabs, throws, and superior frame data will wreck you. Always weave in and out of Luigi's range. One last tip, if he is mindlessly spamming fireballs on the ground, just do a fast short hop homing attack on him. If he just does 1 extra fireball, he will get hit by this. If he shields it, next time just empty hop and grab him. He will stop doing too many grounded fireballs if you pull this off on him. Also, you can often SC/SD under or through or clank with his fireballs.

Captain Falcon

As for Captain Falcon, he's a tough cookie and is, IMO, good against Sonic. His ability to dash grab you as you land is a huge detriment to Sonic considering Sonic relies on SD/SC for damage. Generally you want to DI down and away from him if he DThrows you. However, this can definitely backfire if he reads you well and can bait an air dodge and then spike you or NAir/UAir and even knee, USmash or Falcon Punch. Honestly, I don't think there is a DI that guarantees your safety so you'll want to try and mix it up a bit. If he NAirs you after DThrow, DI away!!! Or else you may eat a knee in the face. Also, we tend to have a predictable recovery so Falcon can definitely land spikes on Sonic. This is up to you to bait his jump and DAir or Up Tilt and you either need to air dodge it or recover before/after he does his DAir. Recovering high is only viable if you have your jump and spring or if you think he will spike you as you go low, you can go for a high recovery and watch him jump off after you when you're not even there. If you're coming to the stage at a medium height and not from under the stage, you can jump to bait a whiff and get a safe landing, or spring him if he commits too hard. However, if he successfully baits your spring, you are a falling 'sitting duck' and are likely to get thrown. Likewise, he can read your jump and simply double jump to hit you. The 'while recovering' game as Sonic vs Falcon is very tough for Sonic.

Offensively, you'll want to bait 2nd jumps and force him to a landing mixup where he will either eat SD/SC or a grab as he lands. However, he can still mix this up with landing aerials but you need to mix this up with cross ups and shields.

Sorry this was a bit long, but this is only the tip of the iceberg for any match up. I could keep going but if you end up reading all of this already, that's pretty impressive... Hopefully it helped a little.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Sorry this was a bit long, but this is only the tip of the iceberg for any match up. I could keep going but if you end up reading all of this already, that's pretty impressive... Hopefully it helped a little.
Of course I read it all, this information is thorough and well written, thank you so much for posting all of it! It was a huge help.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Of course I read it all, this information is thorough and well written, thank you so much for posting all of it! It was a huge help.
Here's another neat little trick with Sonic. You can use the initial invincibility frames and hopping animation of Side B vs fireballs (works on Mario's fireball's too and even Pikachu's B). You'll plow right through the first one (if you let go of side B as it's about to hit you) and if they jumped and did an aerial fireball/projectile right after it, you'll go right under that one and often times get a free Side B.

This specific example is from memory only so you'll have to try this out yourself to confirm.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
So I'm trying to draw out multiple flowcharts to identify Sonic's options based on what opponents do in reaction to them. I haven't considered every situation yet, but on my first chart I have this:
When a spindash hits an opponent's shield, they take 1 of 3 options: aerial punish out of shield, unshielding, or holding their shield and keeping their position. Am I missing anything? What other options does my opponent have if I spindash right into their shield?

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
They have many different timings for when they can jump. They can roll afterwards. You should also account for perfect shielding as they can aerial punish you with more ease.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Oh hey, I was going to ask about Spinshot because I faced MeekSpeedy who used it a lot anyway. Thanks, Sonic boards.

Speaking of, what are the uses for Spinshot competitively? It's useful for sure but I want to know what kind of situations I could use this tech for.

How should I go about practicing how fast I can use it?

And while I'm here, what are some good side-B set ups? I know Side-B > jump > uair or nair are good. I know you can cancel it by shield, and that down-B is amazing for horizontal recovery, though.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I'm (hesitantly) competing in a customs on tournament soon. I plan to use the burning spindash (hammer spindash doesn't seem better than regular to me, just different) and Sonic's auto-charge down b. Does Sonic lose anything by swapping the default in favor of auto charge? Do they have different properties other than the charge time?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh hey, I was going to ask about Spinshot because I faced MeekSpeedy who used it a lot anyway. Thanks, Sonic boards.
You got it, dude.

Did you see my video?
Speaking of, what are the uses for Spinshot competitively? It's useful for sure but I want to know what kind of situations I could use this tech for.
Recovery, cross-ups, avoiding projectiles, etc.
How should I go about practicing how fast I can use it?
Just get comfortable with the inputs and then see if you can challenge yourself to do it off of less and less charge.
I'm (hesitantly) competing in a customs on tournament soon. I plan to use the burning spindash (hammer spindash doesn't seem better than regular to me, just different) and Sonic's auto-charge down b. Does Sonic lose anything by swapping the default in favor of auto charge? Do they have different properties other than the charge time?
Auto Charge is butt. Just gives you less control and takes longer to lose charge if you choose to not commit to it.

BSD is good. I used it all day today. I still felt like complete garbage whenever I wasn't able to jump against shield though.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
You got it, dude.

Did you see my video?
Yeah, I watched it and it's kind of easy to get the inputs down. It's a little fidgety but I'm sure I'll get better at it. The mixup potential is crazy.

Too bad the only way to do it on 3DS is to have tap jump on or maul your fingers. Wii U's fine though.

Last edited:

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
I was watching one of 6WX's matches on Youtube a few days ago, when I thought I saw him brake in the middle of his spin dash. How is that possible? Every time I try it, Sonic ends up going all the way across the stage before finally braking.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was watching one of 6WX's matches on Youtube a few days ago, when I thought I saw him brake in the middle of his spin dash. How is that possible? Every time I try it, Sonic ends up going all the way across the stage before finally braking.
You mean screech stop?

That will happen off a slow spin or one with very little charge, typically after it makes contact with something.

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
You mean screech stop?

That will happen off a slow spin or one with very little charge, typically after it makes contact with something.

Thanks. I figured it out shortly after posting but took a nap and neglected to do an edit. You guys respond quickly. :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thanks. I figured it out shortly after posting but took a nap and neglected to do an edit. You guys respond quickly. :)
Well, this is the Sonic boards.

gotta go fast

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Glad that people are starting to realize the usefulness of BSD. Now if only i started seeing people use springing headbutt more.....(especially on halberd)

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Glad that people are starting to realize the usefulness of BSD. Now if only i started seeing people use springing headbutt more.....(especially on halberd)
Before I actually tested it, I thought the hit of springing headbutt would actually be an off the top kill move as good as Sonic's up air at the top of the screen. The hit is actually pretty weak. How do you find the springing headbutt to be useful? Glad to see someone has an argument for something other than his side specials.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Springing headbutts 1% hit actually has more base knockback than the 7% one which on stages like halberd can lead to early off the top KO's from stuff like uthrow double jump up-b or a quick spin dash > uair > up-b. if we springing headbutt ppl from about the height of BF's lower platforms we also get a guaranteed bair at KO % on a majority of characters. Not to mention the move shuts down ZSS's down B as the hitbox lingers long enough to interrupt her before she can actually attack. It's also a good way to punish those who sit at the ledge as you can do a reverse up-b to hit with the end of the attack and hit confirm in bair for free %.

The only flaws or weaknesses that come with springing headbutt are that we don't gain any sort of invincibility during the move, the height we gain is reduced, and the fact that we can't react out of the move as fast. But given the fact that your covered in a hitbox the lack on invincibility and ability to react out of the move makes it feel more of like a trade off in usage rather than a downgrade.

And given sonic's recovery options are still strong regardless with moves like Homing attack and using our spin attacks to cover horizontal distance makes the height loss not so much of a negative factor. We can combo out of burning spin dash uair into springing headbutt bair for anywhere between 33-48% depending on BSD's charge time and whether we followup springing headbutt with bair or fair. we can even if spaced properly connect springing headbutt into uair for off the top KO's. I just feel like the move is thrown to the waste side because it appears to be inferior as a recovery tool which it shouldn't be when the move only adds to our offensive lineup for KO setups.

I haven't quite experimented enough with hammer spin dash but i think springing headbutt works very well with all of sonic's Side B's. I know someone had posted videos on these boards showing sonic neat springing headbutt setups, i can only imagine what other possible setups the move can provide.

Theres also double spring but the only niche usage i've been able to come up with is for easy jab resets because the power and knockback for each spring is nearly equivalent to our jab that and double spring screws diddy's recovery. But i still would end up using springing headbutt over double spring.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I think the biggest downfall with Springing headbutt is not being able to act out of it quickly enough, which is an issue because the hitbox of up b itself doesn't seem to have damage or knock back on its side. Can it actually KO at a reasonable %? Why not just nair as soon as you spring? Because the only thing I see SHeadbutt having is a prolonged hitbox and that covers that.

Question because I'm missing something. Why are people using surprise attack over homing attack because I see it as a horrible move. I feel like I'm getting to grips with all of sonics customs now, like I can see arguments for them all. These two however, springing headbutt and surprise attack, I don't get yet.

:196:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I think the biggest downfall with Springing headbutt is not being able to act out of it quickly enough, which is an issue because the hitbox of up b itself doesn't seem to have damage or knock back on its side. Can it actually KO at a reasonable %? Why not just nair as soon as you spring? Because the only thing I see SHeadbutt having is a prolonged hitbox and that covers that.

Question because I'm missing something. Why are people using surprise attack over homing attack because I see it as a horrible move. I feel like I'm getting to grips with all of sonics customs now, like I can see arguments for them all. These two however, springing headbutt and surprise attack, I don't get yet.

:196:
Personally, I only see surprise attack as useful for a follow up out of spindash if someone shields your spindash. Depending on their habits, they may often unshield immediately after the spindash hits, which is the perfect time to hit them with the surprise attack. Surprise attack's speed is generally able to prevent your opponent from punishing the whiffed spindash, so you get free damage.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Until it just doesn't hit and leaves you on all fours for 15 years, which at least puts him in a good position to deal with what follows.

Moises301

Smash Rookie
Q: Does Side-B still get extended invincibility from sloped ledges?
A: Yes! The arc of his Spin Dash Hop has been completely changed, so it doesn't work on all the same ledges anymore, but it is still possible. This is a glitch that extends Sonic's initial invincibility on the release of the hop and into the entire duration of the roll. The roll itself will travel through the air in a straight line, as if he were on the ground. Strange, isn't it?

I don't understand what you're trying to say. So if I forward b off the ledge of say Battlefield, the entire roll is invincible? Can you elaborate..also the timing is a bit strict, I can't pull it off too consistently. Any tips?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Q: Does Side-B still get extended invincibility from sloped ledges?
A: Yes! The arc of his Spin Dash Hop has been completely changed, so it doesn't work on all the same ledges anymore, but it is still possible. This is a glitch that extends Sonic's initial invincibility on the release of the hop and into the entire duration of the roll. The roll itself will travel through the air in a straight line, as if he were on the ground. Strange, isn't it?

I don't understand what you're trying to say. So if I forward b off the ledge of say Battlefield, the entire roll is invincible? Can you elaborate..also the timing is a bit strict, I can't pull it off too consistently. Any tips?
Sloped ledges.

Think Yoshi's Island (Melee). It has nothing to do with timing. It's all about positioning/spacing.

Just quickly found an example from Brawl. It's the same idea, but Sonic's Side-B arc hop is different now, so you have to accommodate accordingly.

Top Bottom