• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Edit: My b-day is 10/24. We are birthday month bros Cam.
Mine is on the 3rd. So many people born in october :)
Birthday br0z

October is such a good month to be born. I love the Fall.

Also, you get to have your birthday one month and Halloween at the end of it, then Thanksgiving the next, then Christmas, and then the New Year. Starts things off right.

:093:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
How do I cancel my down B w/o shielding? I don't have a wiiu/3DS but I've done it a few times.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
How do I cancel my down B w/o shielding? I don't have a wiiu/3DS but I've done it a few times.
While still holding down, just stop pressing B.

It's not so much a cancel as much as it is just letting the charge die out. There's no true "cancel" for it like the Side-B with shield.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
While still holding down, just stop pressing B.

It's not so much a cancel as much as it is just letting the charge die out. There's no true "cancel" for it like the Side-B with shield.

Actually, Camalange, there IS a more safe cancel for the Down B that I discovered. It's not a shield cancel, but this cancel gives you an active hitbox and gives you mobility, AND the ability to act out of it with aerials, specials and a jump.

Same thing as Side B, when charging Down B, just tap A instead and Sonic will jump up with a spinning blue aura around him, active htibox and all.

[EDIT]

Just re-read the first post. That'd be the VSDJ

My bad! Still, a good option to get out of Down B quick and keep moving if you don't wanna commit to charging forward.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
[EDIT]

Just re-read the first post. That'd be the VSDJ

My bad! Still, a good option to get out of Down B quick and keep moving if you don't wanna commit to charging forward.
I didn't include VSDJ in my response since it isn't so much a cancel as much as it is just an option he has to act out of it. Otherwise I'd have also mention that you can Spinshot out of a grounded Side-B, unlike the Down-B, which makes it even more limited.

Down-B is overall more of a commitment... So to give a final verdict on the initial question, your only choices out of the Down-B are to just let the charge die, enter a Spin Charge Roll then Spin Charge Jump as necessary, or do a VSDJ in place (or VSCJ, rather).

If a SCR or SDR ever roll of a ledge/platform/etc., you can input a jump to Spinshot right as he passes over it, as he is now airborne. Neat trick to keep in mind as far as options go.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I have some questions about Sonic. What moves can he generally be punished on? I main big slow characters like DK, Bowser and Charizard so I know I generally need to play the waiting game.

I know a low Dair and Homing Attack that hits ground can be punished but else? Spin Dash is tough for me as well. I generally just block, are there any frames where he can be grabbed out of the spin dash?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Anyone have any tips of dealing with ZSS?
Hmm, DI away whenever grabbed and always expect the down B when they're recovering (a well timed HA can hit that, I suppose). I guess I should have more advice but all I play is FG and no one on my list plays ZSS..

I have some questions about Sonic. What moves can he generally be punished on? I main big slow characters like DK, Bowser and Charizard so I know I generally need to play the waiting game.

I know a low Dair and Homing Attack that hits ground can be punished but else? Spin Dash is tough for me as well. I generally just block, are there any frames where he can be grabbed out of the spin dash?
HA on shield is quite punishable as well, as long as you can react quickly. A whiffed running attack also has a lot of lag but Spin specials are a pain, specially online. Usually shield them and then react accordingly (aerial OoS if he jumps or turnaround running attack if they go past you). I don't think the new grab mechanics allow Sonic to be grabbed out of a Spin special anymore but I might be wrong.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hey so does anyone know why I just clipped/fell through a platform and then later on through the stage when a CPU Sonic did a D-throw on me?
Can you give more details?

This happened in Brawl sometimes versus I think D3 and maybe other larger characters on the ledge of Battlefield... It could happen on certain plaforms too iirc that you can fall through. His Dthrow has that weird effect. I'm curious what map you were on.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I was on Mario Circuit. Mario did a D-throw on me. I'm not sure what I pressed tbh. They both happened on the main section that goes around. The first time I passed straight through the top platform, then later on in the same game I clipped straight through the bottom stage itself.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was on Mario Circuit. Mario did a D-throw on me. I'm not sure what I pressed tbh. They both happened on the main section that goes around. The first time I passed straight through the top platform, then later on in the same game I clipped straight through the bottom stage itself.
Do you mean Sonic did a D-throw?

I'm not as familiar with Mario Circuit, but I imagine those were all platforms that could be "sharked" through, no? Maybe it's easier on that stage than others.

I can't remember exactly what causes it because it was way more specific in Brawl. It happened on like, one side of Battlefield with Sonic D-throwing D3 with his back to the ledge...

I think on those kind of platforms, it could happen if you were DI'ing down or something along those lines.

Does anyone else remember this more clearly? Maybe I could dig up some Brawl archives...

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you mean Sonic did a D-throw?

I'm not as familiar with Mario Circuit, but I imagine those were all platforms that could be "sharked" through, no? Maybe it's easier on that stage than others.

I can't remember exactly what causes it because it was way more specific in Brawl. It happened on like, one side of Battlefield with Sonic D-throwing D3 with his back to the ledge...

I think on those kind of platforms, it could happen if you were DI'ing down or something along those lines.

Does anyone else remember this more clearly? Maybe I could dig up some Brawl archives...

**** XD. Yeah Sonic did a D-throw (I was in a rush to leave).

Yes they could be sharked through, in fact I had to jump back up through the stage when it happened the second time. It's possible that the stage may have something to do with it because of the stage transitions.
For the record I was playing Link.
I thought I was holding generally down, but then when I went to re-create it it didn't work (though admittedly I only tried for like 2 minutes).
It was just so strange to never have seen it before and then see it twice in one game, just in case I didn't believe my eyes the first time.

Last edited:

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
Guys, I use tap jump with sonic but people are telling me not to. Should I keep tap jump on or not?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
**** XD. Yeah Sonic did a D-throw (I was in a rush to leave).

Yes they could be sharked through, in fact I had to jump back up through the stage when it happened the second time. It's possible that the stage may have something to do with it because of the stage transitions.
For the record I was playing Link.
I thought I was holding generally down, but then when I went to re-create it it didn't work (though admittedly I only tried for like 2 minutes).
It was just so strange to never have seen it before and then see it twice in one game, just in case I didn't believe my eyes the first time.
Yup, it's quite the silly Sonic glitch. Of course they didn't learn to fix it from Brawl... Typical.
Guys, I use tap jump with sonic but people are telling me not to. Should I keep tap jump on or not?
Depends on your preference, ultimately.

I don't use tap jump because it's easier to spinshot without it imo. Also, one of the only technical advantages of tap jump is to make Up-B out of shield faster/easier but Sonic doesn't really utilize that so... I just play without it.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

2/3 Of your mains are Zard and Bowser, couldn't you just burn their spindashes with flamethrower? Sonic's spin is good, but its priority is laughably low and a lot of moves can beat him out of it. Zard should also be able to use his near godlike Nair.

Lizam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lizzam
I find Villager to be a hard match up for Sonic too. He has a lot of zoning options that limit Sonic's approaches (which is true for most of the cast, not just sonic, but it disrupts my flow so much as sonic) - Loid rockets, slingshots, tree&sapling. Also he is sooo slippery to gimp off stage.

You really have to mix up your approaches a lot against Villager, but you have limited options :(

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I find Villager to be a hard match up for Sonic too. He has a lot of zoning options that limit Sonic's approaches (which is true for most of the cast, not just sonic, but it disrupts my flow so much as sonic) - Loid rockets, slingshots, tree&sapling. Also he is sooo slippery to gimp off stage.

You really have to mix up your approaches a lot against Villager, but you have limited options :(
Not to mention that HA ****ing targets the rocket AND the tree..

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I kinda like the Villager match-up, after playing it more. At first I was like wtf do you do but then I realized Loid hitbox doesn't activate until much later and most of his tricks require you giving him space to set them up. Most annoying things are his slingshot moves.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Is it just me or is DDP harder to do this time around?

I keep trying to do it after I kill my opponent just to fake them out in a vain effort to punish where I'm going to be while they're invincible; but, God damn, I can't do it when I had a rather reliable success rate in Brawl.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I don't use tap jump because it's easier to spinshot without it imo. Also, one of the only technical advantages of tap jump is to make Up-B out of shield faster/easier but Sonic doesn't really utilize that so... I just play without it.

I jump with X. If you want to Up B OoS with tap jump off just make Y Special.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is it just me or is DDP harder to do this time around?

I keep trying to do it after I kill my opponent just to fake them out in a vain effort to punish where I'm going to be while they're invincible; but, God damn, I can't do it when I had a rather reliable success rate in Brawl.
Threw me off at first too because the timing is slightly different, but it's still easy. You'll get used to it.
I jump with X.
gross
If you want to Up B OoS with tap jump off just make Y Special.
Why does that work?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Anyone know the best way to deal with ZSS when she is airborne? Ive had trouble dealin with her onve she is in a position for aerial strings. Either they throw out down b, jump away, fast fall uair, or dair. That and paralyzer is a pain. I Ive learned we can simply hit it with jab, ftilt, fair, nair and down b but does anyone know any specific things i should be trying to bait.

Aether9000

Smash Cadet
Hey everybody. Some people on the Smash Bros subreddit asked me to do an anti-Sonic guide since a lot of people have trouble fighting him, and I figured this would be the best place to ask some questions. I have a general idea of what I'm going to say, but I need more information. I'm a Sonic player myself, but you guys probably know more about the character than I do. Lets get down to the questions.

1. What are Sonic's worst matchups? Why?

2. What are Sonic's weaknesses?

3. What can the other player do to punish side B (the only thing I could think of is Bair out of shield)?

4. In general, what should the other player do in order to beat Sonic?

That's all I can think of for now. I might add more questions later on. All feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hey everybody. Some people on the Smash Bros subreddit asked me to do an anti-Sonic guide since a lot of people have trouble fighting him, and I figured this would be the best place to ask some questions. I have a general idea of what I'm going to say, but I need more information. I'm a Sonic player myself, but you guys probably know more about the character than I do. Lets get down to the questions.

3. What can the other player do to punish side B (the only thing I could think of is Bair out of shield)?

That's all I can think of for now. I might add more questions later on. All feedback is appreciated.
1. You're going to get a lot of different answers depending on who you ask. The general consensus seems to be people who can either zone super well, or force Sonic to approach unfavorably / limit his options.

2. Good question. In Brawl, it definitely would've been his lack of kill power. Now that that has been addressed, it would probably be the sub-par range on his attacks... That's the best I got. A good player can still find his way around that, anyway; but, certainly, he's no Ganondorf disjointed.

3. You're gonna need to be more specific here. Do you mean his attack or the move itself? Anybody here could give you a grocery list on the reasons why just directly attacking with Side-B is bad; but, the move itself has so much use outside of a direct offense that tackling that is a whole other beast.

4. Git gud.

Yeah okay but no, seriously though, the best advice you can probably give is to have patience. Too often people try and play against him in such a cookie-cutter fashion... and it might work... if the player is bad... but... you know... Get some who knows what they're doing and yeeeeeeeeah~...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think we almost all agree to Sheik, but I would also say Rosaluma, Olimar, just any match-up that does what Kinzer said. The reason why Sonic suffers against characters that zone him out or force him to approach is because...
... His approach options are ass. I disagree with Kinzer on range. I think Sonic's range is fairly decent, and even better than from Brawl overall.

Sonic's approaches are severely limited, especially from Brawl. We can't RAR Bair anymore because of the added lag, so it's unsafe. We can't Aerial Spin Charge Shield Cancel as it's been removed, so we lose that mix-up on approach. ASC is now far more of a commitment.

Spin Charges/Spin Dashes are overhyped. The best thing about them is people not knowing the difference between them. We have a lot of weird mix-ups with them which frustrate people, but the spin itself is really easy to punish if you know what we're going to do. If you shield and we spin jump, most character's can Bair OoS. If we hit your shield and don't jump, we're going to bank on the Lyric Roll (slow spin dash/charge roll) to land multiple hits as shield pressure and hope to cross-up. Even if we do cross-up, we go into screech stop which is punishable. If we do jump and plan on you punishing us OoS, we'll spring, which puts us in a bad spot if you just simply hold shield because...

Sonic's landing options are ass.

Lack of safe landing options and approaches are Sonic's biggest weaknesses that we work to cover up constantly. We have to be so much higher in the air for Dair to even autocancel anymore unlike in Brawl where it would cancel from Spring height.

Sonic being safe is usually an illusion, as people will see us use the Side-B hop invincibility frames to go through things so they think it's godlike but in reality the roll itself can be stopped with almost any jab, tilt, projectile, grab, etc.

Most people just complain about Sonic instead of taking the time to study how and why his Spin Dash/Charge work the way they do. Most people don't know the different utilities for them, so I could breakdown even more scenarios, or people can just read our stickies.
I already sort of touched on this, but yeah, you're going to need to be more specific.

Sonic has all of the following options out of Side-B alone...
  • Instant Spin Dash Jump
  • Spin Dash Shield Cancel
  • Spin Dash Hop into Spin Dash Roll
  • Spin Dash Roll into Spin Dash Jump
  • Spinshot
  • Vertical Spin Dash Jump
  • Vertical Spin Dash Jump 2
... Yeah.
Jab.
Dtilt.

I mean, just like any other character, study them? There's tons of frame data and breakdowns here, so it's not like we're keeping it a secret. We already sort of covered Sonic's weaknesses and options in most scenarios, so take that as a jumping point and do the research.

Groudon_sama

Smash Rookie
NNID
BigMo98
3DS FC
2552-1642-2026
how can I spinshot or do that long jump thing in the air? Seen a few others do it and can't find anything on youtube about how to do it, help?

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
lol Its on page 3 of this thread I believe

Also groudon I think I have played you on for glory 3ds whats ur mii name for it (not nnid)

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol Its on page 3 of this thread I believe
It's also broken down into intense detail in the OP...

I plan on making a video. Just can't decide if the video should only be about Spinshot or include more mechanics.

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
I've been meaning to ask you this Camalange, but can you also do a vid on an in-depth guide for HA cause I don't fully understand it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I've been meaning to ask you this Camalange, but can you also do a vid on an in-depth guide for HA cause I don't fully understand it.
HA is just kinda janky in general. You can understand it to a degree... Like, it locks onto projectiles and things that will hurt you which sucks. It just has a certain lock-on range and the way it determines what to lock-on to isn't always ideal.

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
Ya that's what confuses me because when I confident I'm in range with HA and use it, I fall to my death -_-

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ya that's what confuses me because when I confident I'm in range with HA and use it, I fall to my death -_-
There's a certain point during the animation where it "locks on". You can't go off of when you first pressed B, as that won't be when it recognizes a target.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i believe HA now locks onto the closest player/object near with. it also i think cannot switch targets once it locks onto something. such as if PK fire ends up being farther away than ness is from you as your about to release HA.

Aether9000

Smash Cadet
3. You're gonna need to be more specific here. Do you mean his attack or the move itself? Anybody here could give you a grocery list on the reasons why just directly attacking with Side-B is bad; but, the move itself has so much use outside of a direct offense that tackling that is a whole other beast.

The attack itself. A lot of people on the subreddit hate that move, but I guess I'll have to cover every option out of Spin Dash somehow. Thanks for the info. :)
I already sort of touched on this, but yeah, you're going to need to be more specific.

Sonic has all of the following options out of Side-B alone...
  • Instant Spin Dash Jump
  • Spin Dash Shield Cancel
  • Spin Dash Hop into Spin Dash Roll
  • Spin Dash Roll into Spin Dash Jump
  • Spinshot
  • Vertical Spin Dash Jump
  • Vertical Spin Dash Jump 2
... Yeah.
Thanks. I'll see if can cover every option then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom