• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I'll explain everything in detail when(ever) my SSB4 Sonic guide is complete, but since it's still just a project that's still on paper, here it goes (I haven't fully tested it yet so I'll just explain my theory on the new lock on mechanic):

1. HA works just like it did in Brawl but with a twist;
  2. The path it takes seem to follow the same rules as it did before (goes over the target and hits the opposite side of the opponent - refer to my SSBB guide for more details);
  3. However, the lock on system has changed: when the HA is initiated, it "creates" a new target which acts just like a "delayed ghost" of the opponent (you know, like in some games where you create a clone of yourself and it repeats your action, but in a delayed manner, instead of being instant);
  4. The HA, then, targets that new entity, instead of the actual opponent, following the same rules it did for Brawl.
And that's it. Hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say..

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Basically, if Zero activated Sougenmu. Got it.

Unrelated to Sonic; but, if I have your attention, there is something I must desperately know if you have the answer for me.

Apparently there is a local drink in Brazil that is basically like some homebrew sugar water I bought from my college's anime club a long while ago. That s*** taste REALLY friggin' good. Do you know the name of it? I believe it had "Antarctica" somewhere in there. Also, do you know if I could possibly buy/import the soda to my house? I want MOAR!, it's basically my crack since I had it upon my visit to Rio de Janeiro.

Thank you.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Basically, if Zero activated Sougenmu. Got it.

Unrelated to Sonic; but, if I have your attention, there is something I must desperately know if you have the answer for me.

Apparently there is a local drink in Brazil that is basically like some homebrew sugar water I bought from my college's anime club a long while ago. That s*** taste REALLY friggin' good. Do you know the name of it? I believe it had "Antarctica" somewhere in there. Also, do you know if I could possibly buy/import the soda to my house? I want MOAR!, it's basically my crack since I had it upon my visit to Rio de Janeiro.

Thank you.

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
I'll explain everything in detail when(ever) my SSB4 Sonic guide is complete, but since it's still just a project that's still on paper, here it goes (I haven't fully tested it yet so I'll just explain my theory on the new lock on mechanic):

1. HA works just like it did in Brawl but with a twist;
  2. The path it takes seem to follow the same rules as it did before (goes over the target and hits the opposite side of the opponent - refer to my SSBB guide for more details);
  3. However, the lock on system has changed: when the HA is initiated, it "creates" a new target which acts just like a "delayed ghost" of the opponent (you know, like in some games where you create a clone of yourself and it repeats your action, but in a delayed manner, instead of being instant);
  4. The HA, then, targets that new entity, instead of the actual opponent, following the same rules it did for Brawl.
And that's it. Hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say..
You have made this so much clearer to me thank you so much.

By the way, when do you think you will be able to release that guide?

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... YES!

... Except that image is so small, I don't know what the other parts are. But, holy s***, I would give just about anything to have access to this! Please, tell me the company that makes this has some sort of website or something: I'll use my spanglish in the vein hopes that it will roughly translate whatever Portuguese necessary to find out MOAR!! ;_;

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
... YES!

... Except that image is so small, I don't know what the other parts are. But, holy s***, I would give just about anything to have access to this! Please, tell me the company that makes this has some sort of website or something: I'll use my spanglish in the vein hopes that it will roughly translate whatever Portuguese necessary to find out MOAR!! ;_;
Oops, sorry, I'm on mobile so I had no idea haha

However, I do think you can find that in the US. Maybe look in some stores that sell imported stuff, specially from Brazil (pretty sure this kind of stores exist over there, but I've never bothered to try to find them.. lol).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaraná_Antarctica

You have made this so much clearer to me thank you so much.

By the way, when do you think you will be able to release that guide?
Hey, no problem. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Sonic that actually likes using HA to edgeguard, for instance. :sonic:

And the guide.. well, I don't know if we have enough info for a full fledged guide yet but I'm working on it (plus, things should get easier once I get to build my new PC, which should be soon).

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
Can You guys help me. This is sorta off topic but I can't upload my FG videos. I recorded it from my phone, sent it to my computer, tried to upload it, but the bar won't move at all. I really want to put these videos up for some criticism so if anyone could help it would be appreciated. :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I HA'd a Villager bowling ball and I was completely unaffected. I bounced off of it. It was like right as he dropped it.

I was very grateful.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Any good uses of the Homing Attack?
I did this once.
I HA'd a Villager bowling ball and I was completely unaffected. I bounced off of it. It was like right as he dropped it.

I was very grateful.

#blessed

I think the most general useful homing attack is if you know your opponent is going to punish your landing, use HA to stall in the air then it will release and hit them during the cooldown of their whiff.

It also helps in CERTAIN projectile spam situations, combo ender from spin dash/charge, etc.

It's hard to recommend as a recovery option but is sometimes an okay mix-up? Mostly if you use it in a similar scenario as the first one I mentioned.

Nin*Rose

Strange isn't it!
NNID
Nezzy1991
Hey guys, I've notice some Sonic players can do a massive horizontal leap recovery in Smash 4. I have no idea how to do it... could someone please explain it for me :) that be super.

Im not sure if this has been brought up before since Im new to Smash Boards and I have no idea were to look :S

Thanks guys

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
So how do you play against Sonic. I cannot hit him no matter what I do. It seems like once he goes into a ball It's impossible to hit him or deal damage. I've tried many different chars but nothing seems to work

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Prepare yourself.

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 11.31.34 PM.png

Finally getting started on this. Will finish and release sometime after Apex.

Nin*Rose

Strange isn't it!
NNID
Nezzy1991
So how do you play against Sonic. I cannot hit him no matter what I do. It seems like once he goes into a ball It's impossible to hit him or deal damage. I've tried many different chars but nothing seems to work
Hold your shield up when Sonic is using his spin dash. And just watch him roll pass you without taking damage.
Also, Sonic is a fast pace character so he has an offensive style of gameplay. Play defensively and time his attacks for an opening.

I hope that helps.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
is it possible to play a not campy sonic and be good? i mean i like going fast but i dont want to use the fastness to make matches unbearable for me and my opponent.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
is it possible to play a not campy sonic and be good? i mean i like going fast but i dont want to use the fastness to make matches unbearable for me and my opponent.
Good? Sure.

Effective? Perhaps less so.

The best way to play Sonic is to wait right outside of the opponent's range of "I can throw out X move and not be punished" and "I need to use a quick attack to swat him out! D:"

Of course sitting on the opposite side of the stage has differing results depending on whether or not the enemy has a projectile. And others still require that you need to pursue them with an unrelenting assault else you potentially face a stronger opponent. But following any one strategy down to it's true nature will not be as desirable for you than to adapt to the current situation at that moment and act accordingly.

TL;DR Quit worrying about being an annoying prick and do what helps you win. You already forfeited your opponent the ability to have fun by playing Sonic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think overly defensive Sonics are bad.

The best Sonics know how to feign aggression by doing as Kinzer stated, but knowing how to actually capitalize off of hit confirms. You don't play him rushdown or campy... You play bait and punish, which is a give and take type of relationship. Knowing when to respect options but not being afraid to take advantage of Sonic's ability to go hard.

By playing only a campy Sonic, you're completely disregarding Sonic's impressive pressure game.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
other question: other than recovery, what are practical applications of the spinshot?

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Mix-ups, mostly. It's an extremely fast way to cover horizontal distance while airborne. SS->Spring, SS->Bair (not as useful, though, thanks to the awful landing lag), SS->sourspot Nair->grab..

Also, two things I've theorized about these days but never got around to actually testing are:
  1. Use it when Ness is recovering low and drop a Spring. You can potentially nullify his PK Thunder this way (more leeway to hit it and I think the projectile is "invincible" during its first frames - at least I think I read that somewhere.. probably on those loading screen tips);
  2. Use it when you expect Diddy to use his side B when you chase him from below. Then you can follow up with an Uair and Spring+Uair. Could work against ZSS's down B as well.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
PK Thunder is invincible on start up so you can't hang out above his head for the gimp anymore. I mean you just have to go to his back because it wears out about the time it starts being controllable but still.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
My first time fighting a decent Ness that blew my mind. He also has a few other tricks like being able to bash his head off the left side of the stage with PKT2 to get it back or something? I put a bit of research in after that match.

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Hold your shield up when Sonic is using his spin dash. And just watch him roll pass you without taking damage.
Also, Sonic is a fast pace character so he has an offensive style of gameplay. Play defensively and time his attacks for an opening.

I hope that helps.
Not really as that really didn't pertain to the question I was asking. The problem im having is i cannot damage sonic at all. Once he goes into ball mode he is impervious to all damage. If i get a smash attack in while's he in the ball he just bounces off the attack and just keeps charging. All my matches with sonic end in defeat with sonic at 0% 2 lives

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
So, this is really a question about fighting Sonic rather than playing him, but I've been having trouble properly DI-ing his back throw. I figure, since it kill off the side, I should DI Up, right? When I try it, though, I die off the side at an even lower percentage than I should (with no lightning flash). Is there some sort of wonky physics reason why the DI doesn't work the same as most other attacks?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So, this is really a question about fighting Sonic rather than playing him, but I've been having trouble properly DI-ing his back throw. I figure, since it kill off the side, I should DI Up, right? When I try it, though, I die off the side at an even lower percentage than I should (with no lightning flash). Is there some sort of wonky physics reason why the DI doesn't work the same as most other attacks?
Yes.

Back-Throw is strong as balls.

Given that a Sonic could be above 100% with rage mode and has his back facing the ledge, you're gonna be hard-pressed to live through it. You gotta be somebody like D3 or Bowser to hope you'll survive.

... Anyway, you're probably gonna wanna DI whatever way Sonic is facing; for all the good that will do you. :rolleyes:

Remember, DIng perpendicular won't work in this game. You're going to want to try and use the trajectory opposite to the way you're being sent.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
You see, I thought the 1.05 update removed Vectoring and brought back old school DI. Did I miss something? I never could fully wrap my head around DI.

Groudon_sama

Smash Rookie
NNID
BigMo98
3DS FC
2552-1642-2026
6WX though what a guy, aim to play Sonic just like that lol

That aside, any tips on the shulk mu? I can beat most Shulks but the beastly ones I have trouble taking them out when they're on shield art, his d'smash is ridiculously good.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Yes vectoring was removed.

DI is holding direction perpendicular to your flight path. Generally to steer your character away from death zones. There are other di uses in setup scenarios but this is the big one.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You see, I thought the 1.05 update removed Vectoring and brought back old school DI. Did I miss something? I never could fully wrap my head around DI.
I suggest you watch Ninjalink's video on this mechanic. It's sort of tricky to explain; but, the bottom line is the difference is somewhat minial yet still somewhat impactful. I, honestly, don't care enough to notice the minute differences ATM and I just pretend to vector.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Let's all stop using the term vectoring please.

DI is still in, it just works a little differently. In most situations, it's the same as it would normally be.

If you're still trying to "vector", then you're almost always doing it wrong. Better off just DI'ing.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dem is fightan words, Cammy.

Why don't chya come over for EVO and mirror match me, ya scrub-a-dub?
scrub-scrub-scrub all the floors in my lair
If I win, you gimme tree fiddy.

If you win, I pay for your hotel fare.

Totes serious, BTW.
wait for real

i'm highly considering this

(can tree fiddy = 3.50 lmao)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
God, we're such tier whores.

Also, I think 350 may end up being more than I'd pay for a hotel lol but perhaps we can negotiate.

Top Bottom