• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
Sonic sometimes slides when he charges the up-smash, but the momentum is halted completely when he hops up to do the attack. When it works, Sonic retains momentum even during the hitbox frames.
I've been labbing, and I think I have figured out why this is: Apparently, a few stages* actually do have some kind of bug that doesn't allow running Up-smashes to slide. This also happens with other characters too, notably Mewtwo. I can confirm this for the 3DS version, but idk if this happens on Wii U. Can someone look into it pls?
*The stages that have the bug are:
Golden Plains
Tortimer Island
Balloon Fight
Green Hill Zone
All these are in their Omega form. I don't have any DLC stages, so I can't tell whether or not they have the bug

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
I've been labbing, and I think I have figured out why this is: Apparently, a few stages* actually do have some kind of bug that doesn't allow running Up-smashes to slide. This also happens with other characters too, notably Mewtwo. I can confirm this for the 3DS version, but idk if this happens on Wii U. Can someone look into it pls?
*The stages that have the bug are:
Golden Plains
Tortimer Island
Balloon Fight
Green Hill Zone
All these are in their Omega form. I don't have any DLC stages, so I can't tell whether or not they have the bug
Heh, turns out its a thing.

Just tested Windy Hill zone omega and can confirm that on Wii U the slide doesn't happen like it does on FD.

I rarely use Usmash in matches.

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
Hey does anyone have anything on landing options for Sonic? Spring > D-air is getting predictable. Also, I learned that the "bug" was really just the fact that grassy terrain has extra traction apparently :/

Last edited:

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Hey does anyone have anything on landing options for Sonic? Spring > D-air is getting predictable. Also, I learned that the "bug" was really just the fact that grassy terrain has extra traction apparently :/
Landing is not one of Sonic's strong suits. Mix up between spin dash/charge, shield cancelled spin dash, Nair, regular landing into shield/roll, and spring jump into down air. If you keep using the same one, you'll get punished, but if you can get a handle on their punish habits, you can usually use Sonic's fast air and falling speed to get around them

Last edited:

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
I learned that the "bug" was really just the fact that grassy terrain has extra traction apparently :/
Learn something new everyday.

Digging a little it affects all sliding so: foxtrots, running shield, pivot grabs, cancelled spin-dash grabs etc will go a little further on non-grass stages.

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
Hey, I've also been practicing ISDJ recently, and I can currently do it fairly reliably most of the time, but I heard that you can B-reverse this as well. I've seen it, and it looks AMAZING for mixups, but it's hell to pull off. I don't know the specific order the inputs have to go in, so can someone please help with this? Also, how can ISDJ be applied in an actual combat situation?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hey, I've also been practicing ISDJ recently, and I can currently do it fairly reliably most of the time, but I heard that you can B-reverse this as well. I've seen it, and it looks AMAZING for mixups, but it's hell to pull off. I don't know the specific order the inputs have to go in, so can someone help with this? Also, how can ISDJ be applied in an actual combat situation?
ISDJ, as God intended.

:093:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
So I'm having trouble controlling the hedgehog. Like I feel like my movement is very choppy, and like I'm not utilizing his movement options correctly. I look at 6WX, Seagull and other Sonic's and their movement seems so fluid while on defense and offense. And their transition from one to the other is seamless. I'll link one of my matches to show you what I mean I guess.

https://youtu.be/myB_IUEF5mE

Last edited:

Loki0830

Smash Rookie
NNID
Loki0830
So I'm having trouble controlling the hedgehog. Like I feel like my movement is very choppy, and like I'm not utilizing his movement options correctly. I look at 6WX, Seagull and other Sonic's and their movement seems so fluid while on defense and offense. And their transition from one to the other is seamless. I'll link one of my matches to show you what I mean I guess.

https://youtu.be/myB_IUEF5mE
I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of answer you are expecting. Seamless fluidity comes from experience with the character. The more you play the more comfortable you'll get. One thing I did notice though, from that video you linked, was your approaches tended to be quite linear and straight-forward. I feel a lot of the apparent fluidity of high level Sonics comes from them constantly opting for new and interesting mixups in both offense and defense. When you go for the same options every time, and especially if you simply just rush in and spin dash without any movement mixups, your opponent can easily adapt and punish you, making you feel rigid and stiff.

Just keep practicing. It all comes in time.

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of answer you are expecting. Seamless fluidity comes from experience with the character. The more you play the more comfortable you'll get. One thing I did notice though, from that video you linked, was your approaches tended to be quite linear and straight-forward. I feel a lot of the apparent fluidity of high level Sonics comes from them constantly opting for new and interesting mixups in both offense and defense. When you go for the same options every time, and especially if you simply just rush in and spin dash without any movement mixups, your opponent can easily adapt and punish you, making you feel rigid and stiff.

Just keep practicing. It all comes in time.
Ok. I see what you mean! Thanks!

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
Someone please help how do the inputs have to go in for a B-reverse ISDJ? Is there a different timing or order or something? I keep doing the turnaround one.

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Someone please help how do the inputs have to go in for a B-reverse ISDJ? Is there a different timing or order or something? I keep doing the turnaround one.
The timing is very strict:
:GCR: > :GCL::GCB: > :GCA:(Instantly)
Don't know if this is correct but this is how I hit it. At the same time I could be referring to the wrong thing.

Last edited:

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
Use the "Edit" feature to avoid double posts!
Does anyone know anything about the Rosa MU? Im struggling with approaching in particular, especially with luma always in the way.

SporadicCaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
SporadicCaos
3DS FC
3797-6762-8963
Hey guys, could anyone here help me dissect Sonic's dash-dance/dance-trot so that I can hopefully fully understand it?

I know we have the grinding-esque slide if we merely flick the control stick, and that we'll just normally turn around (or stop) if we flick back and forth too fast. I get that when we hold the run for just bit longer than a flick we get the "skid stop" and can go left and right pretty quick with that. I also know that when in the middle turning around, you can let go of the control stick, and quickly dash off again in your initial direction. But that's all I know, so am I missing something? I don't know what the "official" method is to Sonic's madness when it comes to fox/dance trotting...

So my question is, just what ARE we supposed to do for optimal fancy footwork?

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Hmm, I've had more success turning around AFTER pressing B. Maybe its just the timing?
What I posted was the turnaround version I believe. I've never performed the B-Reversed version of this (talk about the blind leading the blind) but in theory is just like any other B-Reverse which requires us to press B first.

So my question is, just what ARE we supposed to do for optimal fancy footwork?
With how I do it I've noticed that our DD comes off of our running skid. Here's how I learned it: Run one way first and then back the other way. Make sure you're getting the skid. Then start adding the dash-dance inputs: :GCR:>:GCR:>:GCL: :GCL:>:GCL:>:GCR:
Once you get these down, start decreasing the time in between them! Hope this helped!

Last edited:

NonJohns

Smash Cadet
NNID
NonJohns
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible to do a b reverse sd into a shield and reverse your momentum?

Bwill3002

Smash Rookie
NNID
BMW_Spiderman
Quick question, is Up throw to homing attack true at certain percents?

Because I keep getting it on R.O.B at 100% in training mode, even if its running away

Last edited by a moderator:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Quick question, is Up throw to homing attack true at certain percents?

Because I keep getting it on R.O.B at 100% in training mode, even if its running away
Rather certain it's not.

Also, use the "Edit" feature instead of double posting. I merged them this time but for the future, don't do that.

patoons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Patoons
hi guys. i've got a neutral special question.. does it not home to a character who's in hitstun, or has invincibility frames? i've noticed i sometimes home from a lot further than other times.

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
hi guys. i've got a neutral special question.. does it not home to a character who's in hitstun, or has invincibility frames? i've noticed i sometimes home from a lot further than other times.
It can home in on hitstun (personally don't recommend for combos as it misses most of the time, or at least in my experience), but not invincibility. It can be annoying af if your opponent knows this, because they can literally gimp your homing attack with a well-timed sidestep or ledgegrab and send you falling to your death...
Also, you may be homing farther if you are actually facing your opponent; neutral-B has a larger targeting range in front rather than behind.

Last edited:

iKno Jopro

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody! I want to pick up Sonic, and I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions on necessary AT's I need to learn, or players to watch to learn the character? Thanks!

Chaos Mk.VII

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1049-2168-0243
Hello everybody! I want to pick up Sonic, and I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions on necessary AT's I need to learn, or players to watch to learn the character? Thanks!
An AT that you really need to learn is the Spinshot, which can help with recovery or an approach mixup. There's a video on it by Camalange in the OP, along with some other tech videos. Some top players you should watch are 6WX, Supergirl Kels, Seagull Joe, and Komorikiri.

Last edited:

patoons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Patoons
It can home in on hitstun (personally don't recommend for combos as it misses most of the time, or at least in my experience), but not invincibility. It can be annoying af if your opponent knows this, because they can literally gimp your homing attack with a well-timed sidestep or ledgegrab and send you falling to your death...
Also, you may be homing farther if you are actually facing your opponent; neutral-B has a larger targeting range in front rather than behind.
thanks. been putting that sonic work in!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Excellent video with jtails Camalange! I think it belongs in the OP as it's pretty much the complete, no non-sense guide to Sonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGAYKSjMns
Yes, I was just thinking of adding this. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.
thank you, saw you on Jtails Sonic guide
<3
An AT that you really need to learn is the Spinshot, which can help with recovery or an approach mixup. There's a video on it by Camalange in the OP, along with some other tech videos. Some top players you should watch are 6WX, Supergirl Kels, Seagull Joe, and Komorikiri.
Which can be found below...

Also, thanks for answering the past couple of questions accurately. Appreciate it.

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
Something that has been bothering me for a while: I would occasionally find myself without a jump to follow up combos after doing a SD to Uair.

Turns out even with tap jump off pressing up during a SDJ will cause Sonic to jump.

Easy way to replicate: Charge and hold SD, press A then press up.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yup.

It's really dumb.

Discoid

Smash Rookie
NNID
Discoid
Something that has been bothering me for a while: I would occasionally find myself without a jump to follow up combos after doing a SD to Uair.

Turns out even with tap jump off pressing up during a SDJ will cause Sonic to jump.

Easy way to replicate: Charge and hold SD, press A then press up.
Mhm. This ****s me up all the time.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Updating the OP with my newest tutorial on the Spinstool Spike (Spin > FSJ > Dair Spike): a guaranteed Dair spike combo!

<Chewy>

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamisawesome
Hello! I am a sonic main in need of some help. I was wondering if anybody could answer a few of my questions.

1. What is the best landing option for sonic? I try to avoid spring to dair since it is punishable. But I don't know any other way to land.

2. ZeRo did say that campy sonic is probably the best way to play sonic. Right now my sonic is more aggressive. How do you play campy sonic?

3. Are there any kill confirms with sonic at high percents? I know that soft nair to bair works. But is there anything else?

Sorry if there is any inconvenience. Thanks*

Last edited:

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
Hello! I am a sonic main in need of some help. I was wondering if anybody could answer a few of my questions.

1. What is the best landing option for sonic? I try to avoid spring to dair since it is punishable. But I don't know any other way to land.

2. ZeRo did say that campy sonic is probably the best way to play sonic. Right now my sonic is more aggressive. How do you play campy sonic?

3. Are there any kill confirms with sonic at high percents? I know that soft nair to bair works. But is there anything else?

Sorry if there is any inconvenience. Thanks*
1. There isn't a best. Try not to be predictable and switch up directions to where you will land. Sometimes failing down past the ledge then using spring is the safest thing to do.

Key things are: Use an aerial after spring to get rid of the tumble animation.
Make sure you fast fall to give less time on reading where you plan to land.

2. Don't initiate anything, run around charging SD waiting for your punish opportunity.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGAYKSjMns

<Chewy>

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamisawesome
1. There isn't a best. Try not to be predictable and switch up directions to where you will land. Sometimes failing down past the ledge then using spring is the safest thing to do.

Key things are: Use an aerial after spring to get rid of the tumble animation.
Make sure you fast fall to give less time on reading where you plan to land.

2. Don't initiate anything, run around charging SD waiting for your punish opportunity.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGAYKSjMns
Thanks!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It is no black and white.
Go watch Komorikiri, he mixes a little bit of everything, he might camp and be patient, waits for small mistakes to punish, but at the same time is able to apply tons of pressure, be on your face all the time, and then gets tons of damage with small conversions.
:196:

Last edited:
Top Bottom