• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic getting an Alternate Costume? Guess not.

Which Alternate Costume would you want Sonic to get?

• Total voters

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Sonic Boom scarf or Rider's shoes and shades are the least terrible option. But for goodness sake don't alter the model outside the clothes. A shoutout is nice, a total model change seems a bit drastic to me.
With Little Mac getting his hoodie I could see Sonic getting the speed wraps and scarf from Boom. I honestly kinda like his Boom design outside of the blue arms and lame arrogance. Tails's design in Boom is great too, it's Knuckles and everything else about the game that is just off.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
With Little Mac getting his hoodie I could see Sonic getting the speed wraps and scarf from Boom. I honestly kinda like his Boom design outside of the blue arms and lame arrogance. Tails's design in Boom is great too, it's Knuckles and everything else about the game that is just off.
What about amy and eggman? I personally love amys new outfit and eggman just looks cool overall

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Right I forgot about the telekinesis. Shadow was basically a clone in Sonic Adventure 2 so I don't think that would be that big of a change, a but he's also an assist trophy so that makes this argument moot.

Edit:
After thinking it over, it probably will just be pallet swaps based on other Sonic characters, since we have already seen one kind of based on Silver. If they do just make them pallet swaps I would like see the shoes changed as well, ie if Sonic is colored red like Knuckles, he would have Knuckles' Lego shoes. Or if one is black,Sonic would wear Shadow's hover shoes. Etc...
I don't care if a character canonically is the same or is the same species or anything, If it's a different character it can't be an alternate costume.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Lucina was meant to be a marth alt
There is no solid proof of that, It's just an article that was written like a day after the reveal. Even the article shows no proof.

And even if it's true, Lucina still wasn't an alternate costume.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
There is no solid proof of that, It's just an article that was written like a day after the reveal. Even the article shows no proof.

And even if it's true, Lucina still wasn't an alternate costume.
There is a direct quote from Sakurai on mynintendonews.com saying she was planned to be an alternate costume, thought someone, or even I, linked that earlier in the forums. The only rumor part of it was that Chrom was supposed to be a character and got cut and Lucina became a full character to replace him, but she was planned to be a costume and became a character.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'd love Boom Sonic or Riders Sonic. Classic Sonic can stay out, thanks.

What I'd REALLY love is for a slight mix costume by taking Riders Sonic and swapping his shoes for the SA2 Soap Shoes, though. That's a pipe dream at best, though.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Why are you arguing about this? Lucina was indeed a Marth alt. They just decided to give her her own slot because she's shorter than Marth, and any difference in size or abilities warrants a roster spot. Sakurai himself confirmed this.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Why are you arguing about this? Lucina was indeed a Marth alt. They just decided to give her her own slot because she's shorter than Marth, and any difference in size or abilities warrants a roster spot. Sakurai himself confirmed this.
Thank you, this guy doesn't seem to believe that Sakurai ever confirmed this when he's on several news outlets stating this fact. Don't know what else will convince him.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
If it's a different character it can't be an alternate costume.
I don't really know why you're so sure that this can NEVER EVER HAPPEN NOT NEVER when all that would need to occur for it to happen is for the designers to decide they want to do it. Especially since there are character swap palettes in Brawl so they clearly haven't drawn the line in the sand you think they have.

Also I'm not sure how classic Sonic could be implemented without radically changing Sonic's proportions and hitbox and/or looking nearly identical to the default model, both of which are usually no-gos from a design standpoint.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'd love Boom Sonic or Riders Sonic. Classic Sonic can stay out, thanks.

What I'd REALLY love is for a slight mix costume by taking Riders Sonic and swapping his shoes for the SA2 Soap Shoes, though. That's a pipe dream at best, though.
ewwww no im glad you enjoy hipster mummy sonic over classic sonic there would be no hipster mummy sonic without classic sonic or riders goggles sonic

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sonic is gonna look badass no matter what

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Out of those 3 without my dreams or hopes of anything above decent of a palette, I'd go with Rider Sonic. Goggles / shades with different designed speed shoes is do-able & is not that much effort compared to a re-sizing classic sonic which would be amazing for the reason of chosing between classic & modern?! But then VoiceActor.

I'll stick to only the 3 voted alternates & not go off discussion about any other, subjectively better palettes from other games. Sorry but thank you for quoting you RedFlyNinja:

I don't care if a character canonically is the same or is the same species or anything, If it's a different character it can't be an alternate costume.
You're mostly right, but not exactly. Blood Falcon is getting closer & closer to resembling himself slowly proving otherwise. I will say that some palettes are inspired by an appearance, or rather originating from certain characters cross-over to a spin-off or from within their own franchise. See my spoiler for an example:
Off-topic at hand but every captain falcon alt has an origin & inspiration of where the idea for that color swap comes from. Red is Blood Falcon who happens to look more & more similar to Blood Falcon as each Smash Bros. gets developed, White/pink/fuchsia for Jody Summers, Green for Pico's machine color, Grey / Black from his resemblance in the original F-Zero X commercial & his costume in F-Zero X expansion, & Blue as his original resemblance in the series.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well guys... Sonic Boom entered development in 2011. So they probably had a concept of the Boom Universe. I can see SEGA asking/pushing Sakurai to include that new design and since it's rumored Smash is going to come out Nov. so is Boom.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Sonic Riders would be a good alternate. I would love to see a Darkspine Sonic alt. This would make sense because of Sonic and the Secret rings being a Wii exclusive. That and it wasn't really used ever again outside of art in Sonic and the Black Knight.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Both the Boom and Classic versions of Sonic are differently proportioned. Boom's far taller and Classic is canonically shorter; I'd see Classic being most likely if they can somehow make him the same height, and possibly shorten his hair a bit (if the hitboxes aren't affected by the hair).

At best, if they reference Boom, Sonic would likely be wearing a scarf, if not the shoes and athletic tape, as well, but I think it'd look more along the lines of "Modern Sonic in Boom's clothing", rather than a "Shorter Boom Sonic".

If we're talking based on proportions alone, then Riders Sonic would be the most likely candidate, as it's literally Modern Sonic with a change of shoes and extra shades/bracers.

I could also somewhat see Darkspine being referenced, (Fur recolored darker possibly with stripes/shoes recolored blue/bracer rings but not blanking out Sonic's eyes or changing his shoe shape) but not completely Darkspine Sonic, since it's a super transformation.

A similar deal with Excalibur (it's a transformation), except, the plated armor would alter his proportions ever so slightly. It likely would also somewhat hinder him from fighting normally, as again, it's plated armor; pretty heavy to be wearing to a fist-fight for a fast, light attacker.

I wouldn't count SOAP shoes as being too farfetched.

I'd see the Link costume as being likely, as well, considering it's based off of a Nintendo character and was released recently into a Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game.

Overall, if the proportions won't be a problem and can be changed accordingly, I think that the 3 alts be be in this order of likeliness (as well as what I personally want):

1. Boom Sonic - As I mentioned earlier, I believe it should be made to look more like Modern Sonic simply with Boom Sonic's clothes. (Hair and proportions of Modern Sonic retained, without blue arms and possbly with cleaner gloves and shoes aka a bit less bandaging) Since Sonic Boom is Nintendo exclusive and releases close to when Smash overall releases, I'd see this as the most likely option, if not for the sake for more representation.

2. Classic Sonic - Actually, I believe he could be made closer to how he looked in CD or Sonic R; taller than the first representations of Sonic (and the one in Generatons), but maintaining the classic colors and sole-less shoes. Classic Sonic is a staple to the evolution of Sonic as a whole, so he'd be close to, if not just as likely to somehow be referenced as Boom Sonic.

3. Riders Sonic - Riders was a spin-off series, somewhat like Boom is, except it was nowhere near as hyped, nor did it give a significant change to Sonic's appearance. Even though this would be the easiest to implement, Free Riders turned out to be Kinect exclusive, and the previous 2 Riders games weren't even Nintendo exclusive. Basically, he'd be the least likely, IMO, because he'd be the least significant version of Sonic out of the 3. Classic Sonic is Sonic's prime and Boom Sonic is in a new alternate timeline that takes Sonic in a rather different direction.

Even though I dislike the look of Boom Sonic himself (dem legs) I'm putting my vote to a Boom-inspired alt, as I'd like to see Modern Sonic in a cool scarf :D (We could do without the mummification, though)

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Even if Free Riders was the most recent Sonic Riders game to date in 2010, & being a spin-off, overall I'd use Sonic Rider's 2D model over Free Riders, followed by Zero Gravity's 3D model. My preference of highest recommendation to lowest:
  1. Sonic Zero Gravity 3D model
  2. Sonic Riders 3D model
  3. Sonic Free Riders 3D model
HM: Sonic Rider's 2D model, that looks sick.

It's subjective to say I like Zero Gravity the best simply because that was my favorite & the best of the 3 imo, especially when Free RIders was 360 exclusive & had overall mixed reviews consisting of above decent & horrible reviews.
It'd be the easiest to design which has been said 5+ times from others, but it's the most unlikely one of the 3. Spin-offs rarely get that kind of treatment in Smash Bros.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Lucas has a palette option that is 100% identical to Claus.
See? Stuff that like is okay because it's a game with limited graphics and it still looks like Lucas, So it works.

Sonic being Tails, Shadow, Silver or Metal Sonic is just pathetic.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A metallic Sonic skin would be pretty cool. And there are so many robot-Sonic characters in the franchise, he wouldn't be ripping off anyone.

Besides, Metal Sonic has been established as THE robotic Sonic doppleganger. As long as they don't include him as the skin, I think they have plenty to choose from (SilverSonic from Sonic 2 or Sonic Advennture (the one in the statis tube, or Mecha Sonic from S&K, or heck, even Metallic Sonic from Heroes).

My personal wishlist is:

Wants:
CLASSIC (he could be blown up a bit to fit the hitboxes. Range isn't an issue because in Sonic the Fighters he's all cartoony-like and can stretch limbs)
METAL (Robot-Sonics have been around since 1992)
ADVENTURE (Full upgrades)

Indifferent:
RIDERS:
DARKSPINE

Do not wants:
BOOM

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
See? Stuff that like is okay because it's a game with limited graphics and it still looks like Lucas, So it works.
Lucas and Claus don't look similar because of the graphical limitations of the GBA. They're literally twins. I don't think a costume of someone's clone/robot copy/canon palette swap is too out there.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I just don't understand how you can think some of the things you think. Your logic baffles me.
I think he's trying to say (not quite sure, but this is my opinion on it) that an alternate costume should retain the identity of the character, so Sonic literally couldn't have characters like Metal Sonic or Shadow as an alt costume, as they would no longer be Sonic. Metal may be a clone, but he's not Sonic. Shadow technically isn't a clone of Sonic, as far as I know, since he was a prototype for the ultimate life-form. Regardless of how related to Sonic those characters are, they are not Sonic, no matter how you look at it. A clone of Sonic is not Sonic; that's why you'd call it a clone of Sonic.

I could see Sonic getting color/shoe changes that reference the characters, as Project M revealed costumes of this type for Sonic yesterday. These, I see absolutely nothing wrong with.

This is what I mean by Sonic costumes referencing other characters without actually being those characters.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Really loving the appreciation DarkSpine is getting being posted throughout people's typing. Did you guys play Secret Rings or do you just like DarkSpine's look?:p
Also:

I think he's trying to say (not quite sure, but this is my opinion on it) that an alternate costume should retain the identity of the character, so Sonic literally couldn't have characters like Metal Sonic or Shadow as an alt costume, as they would no longer be Sonic. Metal may be a clone, but he's not Sonic. Shadow technically isn't a clone of Sonic, as far as I know, since he was a prototype for the ultimate life-form. Regardless of how related to Sonic those characters are, they are not Sonic, no matter how you look at it. A clone of Sonic is not Sonic; that's why you'd call it a clone of Sonic.

I could see Sonic getting color/shoe changes that reference the characters, as Project M revealed costumes of this type for Sonic yesterday. These, I see absolutely nothing wrong with.

This is what I mean by Sonic costumes referencing other characters without actually being those characters.
This is a good reference to note of, but the shoe differences probably won't be used that closely similar for Sonic's Sm4sh palette swaps, I would totally love to be wrong in the future though.:) Basically all of the details seen there but the shoes, wouldn't be :083:. But got-dayum Shadow's Air shoes. . .so much want.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk

Costumes keeping the identity of their original character though is a matter of personal preference now though, since Sakurai has admitted that Lucina was once planned as an alternate costume. Saying that an alt-costume could be a different character is no longer a "pathetic" statement since the developer himself considered that. We should keep an open mind and actually possibly suspect alt-costumes being different characters, especially something like Metal Sonic.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Costumes keeping the identity of their original character though is a matter of personal preference now though, since Sakurai has admitted that Lucina was once planned as an alternate costume. To say that an alt-costume being a different character is no longer a "pathetic" statement since the developer himself considered that. We should keep an open mind and actually possibly suspect alt-costumes being different characters, especially something like Metal Sonic.
I would main Sonic if Metal Sonic were an alt costume.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Costumes keeping the identity of their original character though is a matter of personal preference now though, since Sakurai has admitted that Lucina was once planned as an alternate costume. Saying that an alt-costume could be a different character is no longer a "pathetic" statement since the developer himself considered that. We should keep an open mind and actually possibly suspect alt-costumes being different characters, especially something like Metal Sonic.
I'd be fine with metal sonic but I draw the line at Shadow, Sonic's playstyle is nothing like shadow fights and it just wouldn't fit at all. Metal sonic on the other hand works perfectly, Since he was created to be exactly like sonic

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
No worries I have a decent open mind.:4pacman:
What I'm a little concerned with is the alternate costumes of:4robinm:, :4villager:, & :4wiifit: is they all have a gender swap palette going between the male alternate MFT, or the female alternate :4robinf: & female villager. :4marth: & :4lucina: would of been another gender changing alternate costume in the mix. That's what I'm mostly grasping at from a narrow-minded focus on that ongoing trend so far. If we were to fill in the blank & the only logical choice it would be Amy Rose. All that's needed to do is remove the hammer aspect from Amy, tweak her around to have the exact same move-set as Sonic, & Boom. . .:troll: that narrow-minded trend continues its gender alternation swaps.
On the flip-side being back to an open mind, :4falcon:, :4littlemac:, :4link:, :4mario:, :4mii:, & :4samus: all have at least a alternate costume or 2 that breaks my counter-debate in the first paragraph pertaining to gender alternates only. It could even be a mix with having a different voice for an alternate costume but still the same gender aka Sonic that looks like shadow but is voiced by a note-worthy Shadow the Hedgehog VA. If they're going to have a Shadow alternate costume & not be de-confirmed as AT status again, THEY SHOULD OF KEPT JASON GRIFFITH SO THAT HE COULD OF DONE BOTH VOICES. In that sense Metal Sonic, Shadow, Silver, alternates from other Sonic games, all of it can happen or is possible.

I'd be fine with metal sonic but I draw the line at Shadow, Sonic's playstyle is nothing like shadow fights and it just wouldn't fit at all. Metal sonic on the other hand works perfectly, Since he was created to be exactly like sonic
I see where you're coming from, knowing how you feel, but people wanna play as a Metal Sonic or Shadow alternate. We or at least I know Sonic & Shadow are different characters that fight differently, but this is only about alternate costumes for a switch of preference. They all have similar resembling traits & identical physical abilities to each other, but you'd be okay with Metal Sonic & not Shadow?

Woah. . .wait a moment. . .you disregard Metal Sonic's undeniable characteristic differences & unique abilities Sonic neither can do nor has, while going on to say he works out perfectly just because he was created to be? Being created to be like Sonic is undoubtedly true, yet Metal Sonic does not think, act, move, or fights the same. He's a robotic duplicate copy weighing nearly 4x Sonic's weight with a Jet engine on his back & a gaping hole for his stomach, with force field attacks, that could / can fight like him but doesn't, but you still draw the line for Shadow because of different fighting style & can't be a costume because of it.
By this logic neither Metal Sonic nor Shadow should be an alternate costume because one's a robot, while the other is a science experiment with Alien DNA. Regardless they can be alternate costumes for 2 main reasons:
  • All 3 relatively have the same traits, skills, & physical abilities.
  • They're all physically Identical to each other, 2 are hedgehogs & one is designed to look like a metal hedgehog.
Here's to hoping we get either costume or both!

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
No worries I have a decent open mind.:4pacman:
What I'm a little concerned with is the alternate costumes of:4robinm:, :4villager:, & :4wiifit: is they all have a gender swap palette going between the male alternate MFT, or the female alternate :4robinf: & female villager. :4marth: & :4lucina: would of been another gender changing alternate costume in the mix. That's what I'm mostly grasping at from a narrow-minded focus on that ongoing trend so far. If we were to fill in the blank & the only logical choice it would be Amy Rose. All that's needed to do is remove the hammer aspect from Amy, tweak her around to have the exact same move-set as Sonic, & Boom. . .:troll: that narrow-minded trend continues its gender alternation swaps.
On the flip-side being back to an open mind, :4falcon:, :4littlemac:, :4link:, :4mario:, :4mii:, & :4samus: all have at least a alternate costume or 2 that breaks my counter-debate in the first paragraph pertaining to gender alternates only. It could even be a mix with having a different voice for an alternate costume but still the same gender aka Sonic that looks like shadow but is voiced by a note-worthy Shadow the Hedgehog VA. If they're going to have a Shadow alternate costume & not be de-confirmed as AT status again, THEY SHOULD OF KEPT JASON GRIFFITH SO THAT HE COULD OF DONE BOTH VOICES. In that sense Metal Sonic, Shadow, Silver, alternates from other Sonic games, all of it can happen or is possible.

I see where you're coming from, knowing how you feel, but people wanna play as a Metal Sonic or Shadow alternate. We or at least I know Sonic & Shadow are different characters that fight differently, but this is only about alternate costumes for a switch of preference. They all have similar resembling traits & identical physical abilities to each other, but you'd be okay with Metal Sonic & not Shadow?

Woah. . .wait a moment. . .you disregard Metal Sonic's undeniable characteristic differences & unique abilities Sonic neither can do nor has, while going on to say he works out perfectly just because he was created to be? Being created to be like Sonic is undoubtedly true, yet Metal Sonic does not think, act, move, or fights the same. He's a robotic duplicate copy weighing nearly 4x Sonic's weight with a Jet engine on his back & a gaping hole for his stomach, with force field attacks, that could / can fight like him but doesn't, but you still draw the line for Shadow because of different fighting style & can't be a costume because of it.
By this logic neither Metal Sonic nor Shadow should be an alternate costume because one's a robot, while the other is a science experiment with Alien DNA. Regardless they can be alternate costumes for 2 main reasons:
  • All 3 relatively have the same traits, skills, & physical abilities.
  • They're all physically Identical to each other, 2 are hedgehogs & one is designed to look like a metal hedgehog.
Here's to hoping we get either costume or both!
But what I mean is that Metal Sonic was created to be an exact robot copy of Sonic, He has access to all the skills sonic has but Shadow isn't related to Sonic in the slightest besides their similar appearance

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say it's unlikely, a lot of characters are getting them. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
But what I mean is that Metal Sonic was created to be an exact robot copy of Sonic, He has access to all the skills sonic has but Shadow isn't related to Sonic in the slightest besides their similar appearance
Back-story & history-wise, yeah they aren't.
But you're not taking it to heart that all 3 can practically do the same things through their physical abilities:

• Spin Dash
  • Spin Jump
  • Homing Attack
  • Spin Attack
  • Super speed
  • increased physical durability
  • use hands / claws & legs / feet.
All of them can do this, this helps why having alternate costumes of Metal Sonic & Shadow is plausible.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Back-story & history-wise, yeah they aren't.
But you're not taking it to heart that all 3 can practically do the same things through their physical abilities:

• Spin Dash
  • Spin Jump
  • Homing Attack
  • Spin Attack
  • Super speed
  • increased physical durability
  • use hands / claws & legs / feet.
All of them can do this, this helps why having alternate costumes of Metal Sonic & Shadow is plausible.
But wouldn't you find it a little awkward with Shadow doing Sonic's animations

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
But wouldn't you find it a little awkward with Shadow doing Sonic's animations
Yes, any die-hard sonic fan would say & know from experience it isn't 'right', but we all have to stop playing Sonic Battle sometime.:p
Brawl character textures make you want to re-skin your Sonic to any Sonic transformation / Metal Sonic / Shadow / Any Hedgehog character who's badass.

Bottom line: I approve of the alternate costume ideas hoping they'll be future purchasable DLC. Unless Shadow & Metal Sonic are announced DLC characters which sounds 90% improbable for reasons, I want me some hedgehog variant costumes.:) Fan or not.

Top Bottom