• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic getting an Alternate Costume? Guess not.

Which Alternate Costume would you want Sonic to get?

• Total voters

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Please, I want Tails. In Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (his debut), he was basically an exact ripoff of Sonic (+ two tails). I would personally love that, but I really want Tails to be in Smash somehow. He could use his tails' hover to recover for a short period.

Tails plz!!!
That's not an alternate costume.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'd like a Sonic Boom outfit, I feel like classic would be hard to do because of the hitboxes and riders just isn't enough to justify an alt costume. Just throw on a scarf, extra spines and some sports tape and it would look really cool. Also SEGA is advertising the **** out of Sonic Boom and having an alt in smash would be awesome

EDIT: Also blue arms

Last edited:

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I'm sorry, I'm not sure you're really understanding what I'm saying. I have said a couple times now that it would simply be an alternate costume on top of Sonic. They have the exact same move set and could just in an alt costume slot. This is done all of the time.

I know that Tails is not Sonic, but like I said in Sonic 2 they have identical moves. That's why I think Tails could be an alternate costume for Sonic. Yes, it would be a costume. Just assume Sonic is wearing a Tails costume.

It's a farfetched idea I know, but it is what I want, and it is in the realm of possibility.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Sure it is! Like how Dr. Mario can just be an alt costume for Mario? It's just a Tails skin (costume) over Sonic. It's done all of the time, in mods especially.
Dr Mario is Mario, And would work as an alternate costume.
Plumber Wario is Biker Wario, And would work as an alternate costume.
Toon Link is Link, And would work as an alternate costume.
Tails is not Sonic, And could only be Sonic cosplaying as Tails.

Alternate Costumes just CANNOT be different characters, It's one of the most delusional parts of the fanbase.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sure it is! Like how Dr. Mario can just be an alt costume for Mario? It's just a Tails skin (costume) over Sonic. It's done all of the time, in mods especially.
A translated quote from Sakurai:
When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster.

[source]
I highly doubt that he would justify Tails as an alternate costume considering his difference in body proportions, running animation, natural abilities, etc. The other Sonic characters have too much personality to simply sub in for Sonic.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
A translated quote from Sakurai:

I highly doubt that he would justify Tails as an alternate costume considering his difference in body proportions, running animation, natural abilities, etc. The other Sonic characters have too much personality to simply sub in for Sonic.
When the heck did he say that.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Dr Mario is Mario, And would work as an alternate costume.
Plumber Wario is Biker Wario, And would work as an alternate costume.
Toon Link is Link, And would work as an alternate costume.
Tails is not Sonic, And could only be Sonic cosplaying as Tails.

Alternate Costumes just CANNOT be different characters, It's one of the most delusional parts of the fanbase.
Wow, settle down there RedFlyNinja. Why do I have Brawl with tons of alternative costumes that are completely different characters then?

You seem to be genuinely offended by my innocent comment, not really paying attention to the fact that I already said I know Tails is not Sonic, and basically said to picture Sonic as cosplaying Tails.

Staindgrey, you also don't seem to be entirely getting that in all of my posts I have reiterated that Tails was identical to Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (his debut game). The proportions would be the same. The moves, everything. The only thing different would be animated tails that would appear behind him. Not hard to do, honestly.

Come on you guys, it's not that difficult to understand. I said it's definitely a "farfetched idea", but that it COULD be done. No need to desperately try to crap on it like I don't even realize Tails isn't Sonic. Seriously.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Staindgrey, you also don't seem to be entirely getting that in all of my posts I have reiterated that Tails was identical to Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (his debut game). The proportions would be the same. The moves, everything. The only thing different would be animated tails that would appear behind him. Not hard to do, honestly.

Come on you guys, it's not that difficult to understand. I said it's definitely a "farfetched idea", but that it COULD be done. No need to desperately try to crap on it like I don't even realize Tails isn't Sonic. Seriously.
From my end, personally, I'm not intending to be rude or "crap on" anything. I'm being logical and explaining why it's a farfetched idea. I did actually fully understand your point; I just thought it wasn't a strong point. Smash's incarnation of Sonic is not based on the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 iteration; it's based on modern Sonic games, in which he has been increasingly differentiated from Tails.

That's modern Sonic, as he will be shown in Smash. Now try and copy and paste Tails onto his figure. This isn't even counting that Tails does not have the same running animation, nor that his skill set is entirely different from Sonic's and using Sonic's homing attack and making a "Super Tails" wouldn't fit him at all. I'm simply talking about aesthetics. It would look awkward and be disingenuous to the character. And because of that, Sakurai would be very unlikely to do it, as I had mentioned previously by quoting his statement from his article regarding costumes and characters. You should read the article; it's really interesting.

I like Tails. I do. But forcing his character model into an alternate costume for Sonic sounds like a very bad idea to me, and I'm positive it won't happen.

PS: You can address members directly by putting an @ in front of their name, that way they know you've responded to them. I only happened to see you refer to me by name because I was bored browsing the forums. Lazy day off and all that.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Yes, I understand your points. They're fairly common sense and it's probably good that you point them out so someone doesn't get wishful thinking. Trust me, I didn't make my post with the thought that it would actually come to fruition. I didn't know this thread was meant for only 100% scientifically credible Sonic alternative costume ideas :p I wouldn't say your post was really trying to crap on the idea as much, but it did seem you maybe didn't fully understand that I was referring to Sonic 2 Tails, which I thought would fit the 'retro' style.

I realize my idea would likely never happen, but one can dream, right?

Sorry for my stupid idea. Please continue. :awesome:

P.S. I had read that article, and from my understanding of it, my idea is still somewhat plausible because he'd be identical to Sonic. Whereas Lucina was supposed to originally be an alternate costume for Marth, they since made them slightly different and she got her own slot. Tails would be identical to Sonic, from my idea, so it would still work. But of course, it's still very unlikely to ever happen, and you make good points.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Wow, settle down there RedFlyNinja. Why do I have Brawl with tons of alternative costumes that are completely different characters then?
Because you hacked your game.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Because you hacked your game.
No way?! :awesome:

Sakurai himself said, in that article:
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth’s alternate costumes.
Wait, Lucina isn't Marth? Why would he even consider such a thing, that would never happen! People are "delusional" to think Sakurai would ever consider putting a different character completely in an alternate costume slot! He must be lying to himself and all of us!

He eventually decided against that because of how they act different, but in my posts I said he would be identical to Sonic, like his debut. I played Sonic 2 the most of the Sonic's as a kid, so it just seems really natural to me.

So far the best point against this has been that they've gone with more of a modern Sonic look for his Smash iteration, not that "Tails isn't Sonic" and "Sakurai would never do that."

edit: I thought I should also include this definition of an alternate costume, provided by Mega Bidoof in The Official Alternate Costumes Thread.
An Alternate Costume is like a character's palette/color swap, but it also changes the model rather than just the texture, usually to represent another character, or that same character in another "costume."

Last edited:

DarkspineHero228

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkspineHero228
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
I would love to see the Riders design, but considering that Sonic Boom is the newest Sonic game at this moment, this design will probably be the alt. costume. (if he gets an alt. costume at all)

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
No way!

Sakurai himself said, in that article:.
You just said you have alternate costumes in Brawl that were different characters, And that's because you hacked your game. And now you are bringing up a random article that is unrelated and also has no proof.

Get a grip.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
You just said you have alternate costumes in Brawl that were different characters, And that's because you hacked your game. And now you are bringing up a random article that is unrelated and also has no proof.

Get a grip.
I can't even take this post seriously...

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk

Get a grip.
The alternate costume possibility being discussed here is for Smash 4, for which Sakurai has stated that different characters can be alt costumes without being hacked. An article of an interview with Sakurai from a credible Nintendo news site discussing alternate costumes in a thread about alternate costuming is incredibly relevant and is proof that should be provided to enrich the discussion.

Already got a grip, holding on tight. I suggest you grab on too, will help make the conversation a little more intelligent and civil and less fallacious. (Thanks @MorbidAltruism).

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
On topic I would love to see Classic Sonic with all his original damage animations. That would be great. Sadly just a dream.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
On topic I would love to see Classic Sonic with all his original damage animations. That would be great. Sadly just a dream.
I honestly think he should have returned in this game as Classic Sonic and just could have let him at that, It would have been perfect.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This thread is an eyesore.

:093:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I honestly think he should have returned in this game as Classic Sonic and just could have let him at that, It would have been perfect.
Still hope for an Alternate costume given how much costumes we know already IMO. Resizing Classic Sonic to fit the normal Sonic's proportions can't be that hard.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
If there is a different character as an alternate costume for Sonic it would obviously be either Shadow or Silver setting as they're all hedgehogs, have similar animations or attacks, and about the same size so hit boxes wouldn't be a big deal.
A character such as Tails or Knuckles would be dumb seeing as they play very differently from Sonic and a very big size difference. I might even add Metal Sonic in his Sonic CD appearance or maybe Amy Rose, but that I would say is "farfetched"... insert pokemon joke here

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If there is a different character as an alternate costume for Sonic it would obviously be either Shadow or Silver setting as they're all hedgehogs, have similar animations or attacks, and about the same size so hit boxes wouldn't be a big deal.
A character such as Tails or Knuckles would be dumb seeing as they play very differently from Sonic and a very big size difference. I might even add Metal Sonic in his Sonic CD appearance or maybe Amy Rose, but that I would say is "farfetched"... insert pokemon joke here
I dunno, if they were gonna do that why not pull a lucina and make them seperate. I also think it'd be weird seeing shadow and especially silver using sonic's moves, I just can't imagine them fighting like that, silver has psychokinesis and shadow has chaos abilities

Last edited:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I dunno, if they were gonna do that why not pull a lucina and make them seperate. I also think it'd be weird seeing shadow and especially silver using sonic's moves, I just can't imagine them fighting like that, silver has psychokinesis and shadow has chaos abilities
Right I forgot about the telekinesis. Shadow was basically a clone in Sonic Adventure 2 so I don't think that would be that big of a change, a but he's also an assist trophy so that makes this argument moot.

Edit:
After thinking it over, it probably will just be pallet swaps based on other Sonic characters, since we have already seen one kind of based on Silver. If they do just make them pallet swaps I would like see the shoes changed as well, ie if Sonic is colored red like Knuckles, he would have Knuckles' Lego shoes. Or if one is black,Sonic would wear Shadow's hover shoes. Etc...

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sonic Boom scarf or Rider's shoes and shades are the least terrible option. But for goodness sake don't alter the model outside the clothes. A shoutout is nice, a total model change seems a bit drastic to me.

Top Bottom