• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
EDIT: is it me or does Generations not have a level unique of its own? I mean, it has every level from every Sonic game ever made, and those that don't are most definitely getting nods and hints at in this game, yet there isn't a level for Sonic Generations. Generations is as much of a Sonic game as the other 10 or so that exist and it deserves its own level. I mean, there's literally a lot you could do with this game and the fact that it doesn't get a level to play around with is weird.
The point of Sonic Generations is to take old levels and re-imagine them, as SEGA has mentioned multiple times. It makes sense that a bulk of the content will be the old stages.

That said, the demo contains the stage list for (at the least) the stages used in the main story mode. Of these stages, there is a final, 10th stage among them, labeled "???". ??? could very well be a penultimate level original to Generations, similar to Sonic 2's Death Egg or Sonic Adventure 2's Eclipse Cannon stage.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if they had some Sonic games that could be playable on this game like a Sonic Mega Collection thing? By getting different achievements and accomplishments, they could make it so that a different Sonic game unlocks every time, all the good ones (or obscure ones w/e) being extremely hard to unlock giving more replayability to this game and appeasing A LOT of fans. There's literally so much stuff that you can do with this game it being a celebration of everything Sonic past. You could unlock S1, S2, SCD, S3, S&K, SA1, SA2 (well I doubt it since it's not even DLC on the marketplace :/), S3DB, StF, SR, Flicky, that Tails game, DR.RMBM, etc., I suppose you get the picture.
The demo has a "Genesis emulator" code hidden in the data. Popular opinion is that the Genesis Emulator allows you to play the original levels of the stages in the game. Chemical Plant as it was in Sonic 2, Seaside Hill as it was in Sonic Heroes, stuff like Brawl's Masterpiece section.

Also, what are the chances of putting Sonic's SOAP shoes back on in this game, or at the very least making it a skin DLC of sorts? I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to use Sonic's SOAP shoes. It only makes sense to be playing as modern sonic with those shoes on for me. Like seriously I'd eat up that DLC even if it costed money and made other skins I'm genuinely not interested in
Generations has a shop. In this shop, you can buy things like music, art, abilities ("Light Dash" is among them), etc. from the shop, using points you accrue from your score in the acts, which are calculated into your "bank total." SEGA would have to get back the merchandising rights to use the SOAP shoes as a skin, but I don't think skins are too out of the way to be purchasable content.

And 06 doesn't even count as a SA game. That piece of **** has even more bugs than the original SA1 and is even more annoying and harder to play
I know 2006 was supposed to be Adventure 3, but it was a giant fluke.
It doesn't matter how awful the game is. If the game has the same thematic elements of the Adventure titles, plays similarly to the Adventure titles, and has variations to gameplay similar to the Adventure titles, it's most likely an Adventure title. It just has the distinction of having a different name.

Think of "no matter how nice garbage looks, it's still garbage," but in reverse.

I saw on some article that Unleashed started as SA3.
Sonic Unleashed was originally called "Sonic World Adventure."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ya know, if sonic was like the original movie, it probably would make a series greater than dragonball.

I was just watching Sonic X, and as bad as that show was it reminds me of the first season of Dragon Ball.

I liked the adventure, how different the characters were, and when enemies actually posed a threat to the team

finalark

SNORLAX
I never played it, was it THAT bad?
Its borderline unplayable. Just sit down and play it some day after buying it for dirt and then cry because of how horrible it is.

It shouldn't switch game play genres either. (Or at least it shouldn't be forced)
The Sonic Adventure serious is based entirely off of having you play as various characters with different game play. The issue is when they literally stop the stage you're in half way through like in Sonic '06 to force you to play as a character completely different from the one you're playing as currently.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
The Sonic Adventure serious is based entirely off of having you play as various characters with different game play.
I was thinking more of Sonic Adventure 2 when I said that. Sonic Adventure I didn't have a problem with (outside of getting the last story) since you just choose a character and play through their story with that character.

The issue is when they literally stop the stage you're in half way through like in Sonic '06 to force you to play as a character completely different from the one you're playing as currently.
Exactly, it's just better if the other characters were an option rather than making them mandatory. That way you can still play through the entire game as Sonic (just like Sonic Advance) while allowing the option to play as others if you so wish.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I never played it, was it THAT bad?
Yes, yes it was horrible. It's one of the most horrible games to come out in years. I literally played the first level and when I did some spiral thing, it launched me off the ramp because of the angle I was when I entered it, even though it was supposed to be a scripted sequence. I was able to walk upside down and just stand upside down without Sonic falling off the loop. I was able to go into outer space with a glitch involving Sonic kicking a box that he's on top of and having the box start floating, etc. Basically if you want to see how horrible this game is, check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM

That's not even all the bugs in this game. There's also this part by the volcano in the future that has you forcibly change into Knuckles, except it's actually possible to bypass knuckles if you don't go near him and go through the entire segment as Sonic. It's harder, yes, but it's actually possible to beat the segment. You lose a **** ton of rings since you can't glide when you have to jump in the lava, but it's actually possible to skip Knuckles for that segment.

The point of Sonic Generations is to take old levels and re-imagine them, as SEGA has mentioned multiple times. It makes sense that a bulk of the content will be the old stages.

That said, the demo contains the stage list for (at the least) the stages used in the main story mode. Of these stages, there is a final, 10th stage among them, labeled "???". ??? could very well be a penultimate level original to Generations, similar to Sonic 2's Death Egg or Sonic Adventure 2's Eclipse Cannon stage.
I wasn't saying that the game shouldn't be a bulk of all the old levels, but since it's a Sonic game it has as much as a right for it's own level to celebrate to the others

And I hope ??? means that it's a level original to Generations, I'd be disappointed if it didn't end up that way

The demo has a "Genesis emulator" code hidden in the data. Popular opinion is that the Genesis Emulator allows you to play the original levels of the stages in the game. Chemical Plant as it was in Sonic 2, Seaside Hill as it was in Sonic Heroes, stuff like Brawl's Masterpiece section.
I'd be up for that. I just hope that emulator doesn't end up becoming that Sonic Sim from Colors because I was honestly disappointed at how boring that Sim was and how bad it is for 2 player mode

Generations has a shop. In this shop, you can buy things like music, art, abilities ("Light Dash" is among them), etc. from the shop, using points you accrue from your score in the acts, which are calculated into your "bank total." SEGA would have to get back the merchandising rights to use the SOAP shoes as a skin, but I don't think skins are too out of the way to be purchasable content.

I honestly don't care how Sega does it or if they're going to charge me money to use those shoes, but I just want those shoes period.

I mean, look how awesome these shoes are

It'd be pretty awesome to see him grinding in those again

It doesn't matter how awful the game is. If the game has the same thematic elements of the Adventure titles, plays similarly to the Adventure titles, and has variations to gameplay similar to the Adventure titles, it's most likely an Adventure title. It just has the distinction of having a different name.

Think of "no matter how nice garbage looks, it's still garbage," but in reverse.
The problem is is that Sonic is still considering a Sonic Adventure 3, and they obviously don't consider 06 an Adventure game so why should we consider it a SA game as well? Sure it has similar gameplay elements, but the physics suck, the characters are actually forced on you, etc.

Its borderline unplayable. Just sit down and play it some day after buying it for dirt and then cry because of how horrible it is.
I actually got this as a birthday present. My parents actually bought me this as a birthday present. I had seen a demo of Sonic 06 a couple of months ago and I was ecstatic because Sonic looked amazing. When I put in the disc, I was repulsed at what I was playing. I was so determined to defeat it that I actually finished Silver's and Shadow's stories, but never became able to defeat Sonic's stages because there's this level where they pit you against like 100 enemies and there's this glitch in this level that kept killing me everytime I tried to run up on a wall. I swear that was the ****tiest birthday present I ever bought. I'm surprised I still have the game to this day and that I haven't broke the CD out of frustration

The Sonic Adventure serious is based entirely off of having you play as various characters with different game play. The issue is when they literally stop the stage you're in half way through like in Sonic '06 to force you to play as a character completely different from the one you're playing as currently.
Isn't this what SA2 and SA1 (if you want to defeat the whole story) do, except instead of forcing characters on you midway through a level, they make you play as them in different levels? It's not like there's an option to defeat the entire game as Sonic and be able to get to the last story. If you play like that then the actual only available level in SA2 to play as just Sonic and no other character would be City Escape and that's it :/

Also, buying myself a GC and a copy of SA2 today. Pretty hype

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I've had my copy of SA2:B for YEARS.

One of the first Gamecube games I bought.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I've had my copy of SA2:B for YEARS.

One of the first Gamecube games I bought.
Well, I had my copy too, except the first copy I had I gave it away to my cousin because when I showed it to her she fell in love with City Escape and the skateboarding part. She still has the copy as well to this day like 10 years later and she still has the GC I gave her along with the game and still plays the game over Colors that I bought for her for Christmas last year I think.

I don't know what I did with my other copy of SA2B that I bought when I got a new gamecube tbh. I probably sold it for something or something

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Since this thread needs some nostalgia...
[yt]Z6NaZrPQGfY[/yt]

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/nintendo_3ds/sonic_generations_44480.html

It's two decades since Sonic first sped onto your screen, and in honour of the world's favourite hedgehog, the best of past and present have been combined in a 3D sprint down memory lane, in Sonic Generations for Nintendo 3DS. Strap yourself in for the ultimate Sonic adventure as you 'see double' and experience the sound barrier-breaking fun in a whole new dimension.

Strange things are afoot in Sonic's world as mysterious time holes appear, whisking Sonic and pals back in time. Our spiky blue hero will meet all sorts of familiar faces, both friend and foe, as well as his younger self. Past and present will need to team up to fight for the future against the forces of evil.

Jaw-dropping tricks and traps await you on each inventive level, whether you're racing round brand new courses or revisiting old favourites. You can play as either Classic Sonic or Modern Sonic, each with their own track through the levels and their own stylish skills and mega moves. You'll use old-school spin-dash attacks with Classic Sonic, or master the 'Sonic Boost' move with Modern Sonic. You'll also get to see the levels in a different light as Sonic rescues his captured friends, who can then join him in replays of the levels.

This Nintendo 3DS adventure includes an unlockable special stage as well as missions and collectables available via StreetPass. The 3D Screen display gives your Sonic experience more depth, meaning you'll be fully immersed in the action as the levels take on glorious stereoscopic dimensions.

Whether you're a longstanding fan of Sonic, or you're new to his fast-paced world, Sonic Generations on Nintendo 3DS is the perfect way to experience Sonic gaming in fifth gear.

Multi-Card Play offers a two-player Versus Mode so you can take on a friend to earn status points and compete to see who's the fastest hedgehog on the block
Receive new unlockable content including new missions via StreetPass as you interact with other players when you're out and about
Use Play Coins to unlock whole new challenges
Legendary levels from Sonic's history come alive in glorious stereoscopic 3D
You'll also get to see the levels in a different light as Sonic rescues his captured friends, who can then join him in replays of the levels.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh la la I like where this game is going.

Shadow assisting Sonic? Yes plz.

Btw does this mean we have a high chance of meeting Classic Shadow now?

finalark

SNORLAX
Isn't this what SA2 and SA1 (if you want to defeat the whole story) do, except instead of forcing characters on you midway through a level, they make you play as them in different levels? It's not like there's an option to defeat the entire game as Sonic and be able to get to the last story. If you play like that then the actual only available level in SA2 to play as just Sonic and no other character would be City Escape and that's it :/
Actually I was referring to Sonic '06. On SA2 they separated each character into his/her own stage while in Sonic '06 they made you switch characters half way through the levels then switch back.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Actually I was referring to Sonic '06. On SA2 they separated each character into his/her own stage while in Sonic '06 they made you switch characters half way through the levels then switch back.
I know you meant 06, but the way you word it makes it sound like what SA2 did was a bad thing since they forced you to switch through characters to complete the story

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sonic's Adventure 2 didn't do what Sonic's adventure did and give each character their own story and perspective on the events going on?

That's one thing I liked about Sonic's Adventure

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
No it didn't do that technically. It did in the sense that each story has to do with one another but it didn't in that it was their own view on the story

:phone:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
May want to jot down that the Seaside Hill/Rooftop Run/Chemical Plant trailer features the Sonic 2/Sonic 4 final boss at the end of the video, and will most likely be, at the very least, part of the boss battle the "Death Egg" coding in the demo means.

Also, not really spoilers, but Cash Cash has confirmed that they had a hand in making 10 of the songs for both Generations ports, 2 of which have been revealed: Classic City Escape, and Big Arm Theme.

TGS is in less than 2 weeks, so no doubt there will be new content revealed for the game.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
[yt]DYfpv4qxuAo[/yt]
Sample of Chemical Plant (Modern).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was going to preorder to get the special stages. Than I remembered I don't have XBOX Live.

If I don't preorder, will the stages be available later? I don't know how DLC works in this new age

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I was going to preorder to get the special stages. Than I remembered I don't have XBOX Live.

If I don't preorder, will the stages be available later? I don't know how DLC works in this new age
It honestly depends if the developers want to make it available for purchase later on or not. The DLC could either be completely exclusive to those who preorder or it could be put up at a later date

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
May I suggest adding a section for music samples?
I want people, who haven't seen it, to hear the epic Big Arm remix for the 3DS: [yt]t9vXjmXs6CM[/yt]

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
May I suggest adding a section for music samples?
I want people, who haven't seen it, to hear the epic Big Arm remix for the 3DS: [yt]t9vXjmXs6CM[/yt]
I already have one in the OP lol. It's where I have all the level music and what not

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that song in now. Writing an OP for hours till 12 gets you tired lol

EDIT: Lol you already edited in. I would appreciate if you'd show me a ripped version of Chemical Plant Zone for Classic Sonic when one gets made though. I still need to add one in

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
EDIT: Lol you already edited in. I would appreciate if you'd show me a ripped version of Chemical Plant Zone for Classic Sonic when one gets made though. I still need to add one in
There's no rip of Classic Chemical Plant yet.

Edit: Well, I eat my own words.
[yt]H3eqKtxtVFo[/yt]
It has SFX, but it's there.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow thanks I spent like 10 minutes looking for that yesterday before I gave up

I might as well have posted the original version because it's pretty much the same thing

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Not really, there's an extra drum in there accompanying the tempo of the song. As well as the various sound effects that are part of the song itself; the whirring noise at 0:46 in particular is one such effect.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Well, I think the people who put it up took the audio from gameplay videos.

We got lucky that someone got a rip of Classic City Escape :awesome:

I'm still waiting for the real version though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Classic City Escape is the real version, there are no sound effects. It was played at the UK Summer of Sonic convention and was ripped by the stream systems there.

Unless you mean Modern City Escape. In that case, yeah, there's no clean rip of that yet.

An extension of the MCE theme was recorded though, and from what many can decipher from it, SA2's rendition of It Doesn't Matter is used in the solo section of the song.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Classic City Escape is the real version, there are no sound effects. It was played at the UK Summer of Sonic convention and was ripped by the stream systems there.
I know it's the real version.
The one I looped isn't the officially looped one.
Unless you mean Modern City Escape. In that case, yeah, there's no clean rip of that yet.
I would love a full modern City Escape.
An extension of the MCE theme was recorded though, and from what many can decipher from it, SA2's rendition of It Doesn't Matter is used in the solo section of the song.
I never got to hear the SA2 "It Doesn't Matter" in the song O_o

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
God I'm so pumped for this game. I'm already saving up to buy a 3DS and this game when they come out. Cuter Ty I'm at 1/4 of my goal of money and I calculated that I should be able to buy myself a 3DS and this game by November 1st. I swear Sonic is the only game that makes me want to save up money as I also saved up enough money for Sonic Colors last Christmas as a present for my cousin. God I'm so ****ing pumped. The more I see about this game the more I salivate at the thought of having this game in my hands and dominating it. God no words can express my excitement for this game it's amazing

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I have a REALLY good reason to import this from the UK now.

http://blogs.sega.com/2011/09/07/ce...th-the-sonic-generations-collector’s-edition/

Shorthand version:

• Art book chronicalling 20 years of Sonic history
  • Collectible Figurine
  • Commemorative Gold Ring, individually numbered
  • 20th Anniversary Soundtrack - a "Best Of" compilation of songs handpicked by Sonic Team.
  • "History of Sonic: Birth of an Icon" Documentary
  • As of now unspecified DLC

At the moment, it's EU only. Probably can't get the DLC due to importing, but having the soundtrack, the documentary, and the Ring will be all worth it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Going to find a way to import it from Europe without a doubt.

Now THAT'S a collector's edition.

Why we get nothing in US?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Americans, get jealous.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2011/09/s...rope-australia-exacts-its-revenge-on-america/
Sonic Retro said:
You do have what everyone expected there to be – a code to redeem the downloadable content for free. But the other content that’s hiding out in that oversized box adorned with the two Sonic’s…that’s where things get intense. Hiding out are a pieces of physical swag that will surely start adorning the desks and shelves of many a Sonic fan, the most prominent of those being a statue with both Classic and Modern Sonic, fingers ready to waggle if they were more than a statue. There is also a commemorative numbered “Gold Ring,” which hopefully doesn’t disappear the moment you touch it.

The content you can’t see in the display picture is what should interest you the most, however. We do get yet another “Best Of” music CD that will surely cover the 20 years of Sonic music the only way a single CD can. The second disc looks to be far more interesting: a never-before-seen documentary on DVD called History of Sonic: Birth of an Icon. With interviews from who knows how many people, it will hopefully tell the story of Sonic in a way not even the GameTap documentary could successfully accomplish. The details haven’t been revealed, but it’s something to look out for.

But the cream of the crop? It has to be a mysterious “20 Years of Sonic Art” book said to contain designs and sketches from the last 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog, including those never before seen. Could we finally be getting concept art for “Tails” and Knuckles? Or maybe even seeing more from the hand of Ohshima connected to the first game? We won’t know until November, but let your imagination run wild.

Of course, if you’re an American reader, you’re going to have to just sit and be jealous, as right now it’s only showing up in Europe and Australia. So if you want to get that deluxe package, you may be forced to import and deal with PAL. Maybe something else will show up in the United States? Well, that’s what I’ll tell myself as I cry myself to sleep thinking about that artbook…
Bolded things are what interest me.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I have a REALLY good reason to import this from the UK now.

http://blogs.sega.com/2011/09/07/ce...th-the-sonic-generations-collector’s-edition/

Shorthand version:

• Art book chronicalling 20 years of Sonic history
  • Collectible Figurine
  • Commemorative Gold Ring, individually numbered
  • 20th Anniversary Soundtrack - a "Best Of" compilation of songs handpicked by Sonic Team.
  • "History of Sonic: Birth of an Icon" Documentary
  • As of now unspecified DLC

At the moment, it's EU only. Probably can't get the DLC due to importing, but having the soundtrack, the documentary, and the Ring will be all worth it.
*Insert Sonic Side Taunt gif here*

Top Bottom