• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Castro42

Smash Rookie
I love him, balanced fling, amazing speed, crazy combos. But he doesn't do any damage. The hardest hit combo i've done was 30%, and it was not a short juggle. I think I landed 6 or 7 hits.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Metal Sonic just makes more sense to me as an alternate skin. He's supposed to be Sonic, just metal. Shadow and Tails are both more distinct characters IMO, which implies they would have a distinct move set.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Metal Sonic just makes more sense to me as an alternate skin. He's supposed to be Sonic, just metal. Shadow and Tails are both more distinct characters IMO, which implies they would have a distinct move set.
I don't know about that, Diredrop. Metal Sonic can be his own character and I do have 2/3 of an idea on how to make him fit in the Smash environment.

Neutral B = Dark Matter Shield from Sonic Adventure 2 which can be like Zelda's Nayru's Love.
Side B = Metal Drill from Sonic Generations except more downgraded as to not take up half of the screen
Down B = Electric Charge for a Mass Overload like in Sonic CD and in Generations at a certain % which if unleashed could send his opponent flying far and make something around 20% damage, but leaves him vulnerable to attack for 3 to 5 seconds in order to reboot.
Up B = Rocket Boost in the same manner that Sonic recovers with the Spring.

He could be somewhere near Sonic's speed, but with worse traction and turnaround. These are only just ideas, but I do think that he can fit well in a Project Melee environment.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I don't know about that, Diredrop. Metal Sonic can be his own character and I do have 2/3 of an idea on how to make him fit in the Smash environment.

Neutral B = Dark Matter Shield from Sonic Adventure 2 which can be like Zelda's Nayru's Love.
Side B = Metal Drill from Sonic Generations except more downgraded as to not take up half of the screen
Down B = Electric Charge for a Mass Overload like in Sonic CD and in Generations at a certain % which if unleashed could send his opponent flying far and make something around 20% damage, but leaves him vulnerable to attack for 3 to 5 seconds in order to reboot.
Up B = Rocket Boost in the same manner that Sonic recovers with the Spring.

He could be somewhere near Sonic's speed, but with worse traction and turnaround. These are only just ideas, but I do think that he can fit well in a Project Melee environment.
That would be cool, but I really doubt it's going to happen. I think people would be mad if Sonic got a rep that is a literal (robot) clone of him, even if he's more of a semi-clone in practice. Substituting the spin animations for Black Shield (and maybe changing the spring), and giving him his own SFX bank, would be enough in my book.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps my wording was wrong. I don't think Metal Sonic is too shallow to be his own character. However, as far as a character that works as a re-skin of Sonic, I think Metal Sonic works the best.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
So when I said those who stick with Sonic can expect some cool things - I meant that you'll be rewarded for developing a playstyle and meta with Sonic. We're not going to pull the rug out from under you and make you relearn the character again.
So basically, whatever I'm doing with this character right now that makes everyone scared of playing against him, is going to be even scarier because stocks will simply end sooner/faster?
I like speed.
Excessive speed.
I like the sounds of this.
Sonic is cool.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So basically, whatever I'm doing with this character right now that makes everyone scared of playing against him, is going to be even scarier because stocks will simply end sooner/faster?
I like speed.
Excessive speed.
I like the sounds of this.
Sonic is cool.
This is what I've wanted all along!

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
This is gonna be awesome! Can't wait!

P.s I still think it would be cool to give him an aesthetic change where his spindash colors change depending on what he wears. hehe

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Sure, there is going to be Mewtwo, Roy, and the possibility of the rest of the missing Brawl characters and Turbo Mode. For me, it's all about Sonic. :sonic: I'm just so stoked for this update and Lost World.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
This is gonna be awesome! Can't wait!

P.s I still think it would be cool to give him an aesthetic change where his spindash colors change depending on what he wears. hehe
I don't think that was possible before since it was in the MotionEtc, but now I think they can use more than one. I could definitely see this happening.
Sure, there is going to be Mewtwo, Roy, and the possibility of the rest of the missing Brawl characters and Turbo Mode. For me, it's all about Sonic. :sonic: I'm just so stoked for this update and Lost World.
Personally I'm pumped for some :mewtwopm:vs :sonic: action. It should be a really interesting matchup! I was also excited for Lost World until I read the reviews...

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I don't think that was possible before since it was in the MotionEtc, but now I think they can use more than one. I could definitely see this happening.
Personally I'm pumped for some :mewtwopm:vs :sonic: action. It should be a really interesting matchup! I was also excited for Lost World until I read the reviews...

Don't listen to the reviews, especially IGN since they don't know what they want after their 5 most promising things for Sonic Lost World and yet they give it a 5.8. I trust Japanese reviewers like Famitsu rather than Game Informer or IGN.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Don't listen to the reviews, especially IGN since they don't know what they want after their 5 most promising things for Sonic Lost World and yet they give it a 5.8. I trust Japanese reviewers like Famitsu rather than Game Informer or IGN.
Huh. I find that I can usually trust GameInformer, which gave it a 5.0, but I'll take your word for it. Is there anywhere I can read Famitsu's review? I'm pretty sure my browser can translate it, but I can't find it on their site.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Thanks! It definitely sounds better than the previous games, despite some downsides. I wonder why there's such a discrepancy between these scores and the American ones... Either way, I think I'm going to try and play it before deciding, but now I'll make sure I get around to it.

If you're uncertain about it, then just watch my stream next Tuesday. I'm gonna be playing it as well as critiquing the game.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
It's www.twitch.tv/alexnight91

That's my primary channel for uploading video game playthroughs. I'm actually going to be playing through a classic trilogy this weekend after the Project M stuff for Bar Wars are done for the night.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Don't mess up your spacing. He's a tricky target but I was 4-stocking Mewtwo on the regular. Now a Mewtwo like Taj or something, I don't know, but I don't see the matchup in Mewtwo's favor at all.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Don't mess up your spacing. He's a tricky target but I was 4-stocking Mewtwo on the regular. Now a Mewtwo like Taj or something, I don't know, but I don't see the matchup in Mewtwo's favor at all.
You're definitely more experienced than I am (most people here are), so I'll take your word for it, especially since I don't have Mewtwo here to test it out. My spacing does need practice, so I'll make sure to have that covered when he gets here. I would have figured that his distanced game with Shadow Ball and his tail moves would serve him well against Sonic, though, at least to a point of keeping things from getting boring.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Main problem with the tail is that it's easy to trade with Sonic, and tail moves are generally good on followup, but on trade, they're more lackluster. In that way Mewtwo is a beast when he gets a hit in, so generally you don't wanna spin to win all day long. However, his options against Sonic's short-hop approaches are actually not as great as you think, even utilt has problems because Sonic can bait it and Dair because of the endlag.

I ran a lot of Sonic v. Roy and Mewtwo at BH3 so I could learn the matchup when they get released. Got a bit more than I bargained for, though.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
So I got to play a 3.0 demo at a local tournament. I sort of dropped the ball at the actual tournament(placed an all-time personal low, did not have the drive to compete that day), my efforts that day were to look into Roy and Sonic changes in the upcoming patch. And lemme say...

Well, actually, he's still entirely WIP, but he's got some amazing buffs, some strange nerfs, and he's still lighter than Peach(probably the only thing specific I'm willing to say without clearance from PMBR).

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Solharath was dreamed up a long time ago with a friend to explain why someone would have the name 'Soul/Sol'. Soul in itself is a pretty horrible name, but Solharath seems much more fantasy oriented, and works better, so it generally is the name of whatever protagonist I have the freedom of choosing a name for, like in Fire Emblem or the like.

In what way would Sonic not be heavier than Peach. We've seen her in a racing suit - she's a lithe woman who has a certain amount of frailty to her. Sonic's head probably weighs more than her.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Sonic weighs ~77lbs in universe. Peach weight is unknown.

You can look up Sonic's weight value with PSA right now if you want.

He weighs less than Olimar lol.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
So in essence.

Sonic is 77 lbs in universe.
Olimar is like less than a bottlecap in universe.
Sonic weighs less than a bottlecap.
Bottlecaps must weigh like 100 lbs what.

Sonic gets combo'd pretty easy and dies even easier. I know we got incoming buffs, I've played a recent 3.0 build and I like a lot of changes, but I find his survivability to be lacking. He may "recover from everywhere" but that's hardly an excuse when you struggle to survive past 80%. Just something I noticed, it isn't a complaint, more of a suggestion.

However come to think of it Sonic's Nair is based on his Insta-Shield. Now I'm not saying give him invincibility frames, but it makes a very obvious hitbox around Sonic for a brief flash that I'd like to see come to PM. It would certainly give him a more skill-based move that could help him interrupt moves of a similar nature(Strong hit Nair loses to Pika's lingering hitbox Nair, for example). It doesn't have to be a large disjoint, just something a bit outside his own hurtbox at the every start of the move.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
F-air being supah-fast is staying too me hopes.
What is 'WIP' again?
I always forget how fun this character is until I play him in a set or two again.
So fun.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Just going to say what everyone is thinking... PLEASE don't nurf sonic!!! I can't take anymore nurfing. I am so hyped for 3.0, but with every update sonic loses something :(.
This is not happening lol.

Also, did you start playing from 2.5 or something?

From Demo 1 to 2.5, he gained the freedom to do anything lmao.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
So in essence.

Sonic is 77 lbs in universe.
Olimar is like less than a bottlecap in universe.
Sonic weighs less than a bottlecap.
Bottlecaps must weigh like 100 lbs what.
Well Olimar was re-sized to be more along the height and weight of other characters, so if you increase the size of the bottle cap to be the size of a person I suppose it could be around 100lbs+ lol so it's all about relativity

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Well Olimar was re-sized to be more along the height and weight of other characters, so if you increase the size of the bottle cap to be the size of a person I suppose it could be around 100lbs+ lol so it's all about relativity
Aaand Sonic is also been increased, and I believe Unleashed would be the best example to point out that Sonic only reaches up to the waist on most cartoon characters. It's a much smaller increase, but Sonic's pretty tall compared to the rest of them(Although he's also sized up in Olympics, but Mario characters are weird anyway. Probably weigh light as a feather considering how easily they leap through the air).

Either way, it's just a silly concept, but real talk Sonic could use a little more weight.

Also Sonic'd Side-B gets a little bit of a flash to indicate when you can act out of it.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I realized recently that you can stop sonic's Spindash *I think it's called a Spindash* with shield now.... I also realized you can Spinshot out of Spindash too, much easier than in Brawl.

Dang I'm slow. I don't main Sonic though so...

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i just wish sonic could still shield cancel Spin charge. As someone who has played him extensively for years in brawl for that to be taken away from him in 2.6 imo removes a lot of his unpredictability that brawl players knew him for. Now i'm not saying they need to cater towards brawl sonic mains as but i just felt that removing that feature was kind of weird.

I loved being able to spin charge shield cancel it as a feint and open up peoples shields which given the aggressive nature of projectM would allow sonic to find a way inside his opponents space.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I realized recently that you can stop sonic's Spindash *I think it's called a Spindash* with shield now.... I also realized you can Spinshot out of Spindash too, much easier than in Brawl.

Dang I'm slow. I don't main Sonic though so...
I thought they got rid of this in 2.6?

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
Skid stop is still good in certain situations, like if spindash initial hit connects skidstop and a combo can be started from there.
example: spindash>skidstop>up-tilt>up-air>fair

Top Bottom