• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Counters

BentoBox

Smash Master
hmm.. well I mean, a big difference is that, at least the N64 and GCN controllers are standard gaming controllers... no gimicks... but I digress.. to each his own.... but I really don't see wiimote+ nunchuck as better in any way... especially this early on... it just blows my mind that people are thinking that.
Not having to use the same finger to cover 3 actions is an advantage.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't the Nunchuck lack c-stick smashing? With the shuffle-smash, it seems like that would be really important to Sonic's playstyle.

skrach8

Smash Lord
nerf jumps with neutral b. solution vs kirby off level. full hop off level, then abuse Neutral B. that move is meant to be used when u know the trajectory of ur opponent.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
have you tried the homing attack against competent humans? it doesn't work exceptionally well

Zone

Smash Champion
C-stick was awsome in melee because when you used it, it could help you do the following 3 things way easier, get your smash attack out of ur previous move like (Wavedash) AT the soonist frame. Or to do shffl'd up-airs, Or retreating forward airs/b-airs.

So unless these options are still there, I don't see a reason how lack of C-stick can make nunchuck bad?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Game Cube Controller, But the reason most of you may not like wii-mote and nunchuck is cuz it just in general doesn't feel right because you already adjusted to gamecube. Same with the X or Y to jump discussion.

Arguments for Y is the better jump button because of it's placement is good.

But To me When I use it, because I'm not use to it, I feel akward and funny like i'm learning a new game. Not only that but When I shffl with Fox, using X My button, my finger wants to fly to the C-stick as fast as possible, and it makes less short hop mistakes (For me personally).

so
1.) Personal Preference
2.) Nunchuck has a joystick so does GameCube
3.) Unless you need to hit the D-pad and 1+2 while using nunchuck, I don't see a finger problem.

People find different ways to do techs for themselves. I've seen people do some weird things with their hands on the gamecube controller to do things like Moonwalk, Jump cancelled Shines. Such as using the gamecube controller like it's a keyboard, I've seen someone use the left joystick with their left index Finger and Thumb pinching it.

IMO as long as you can short hop, and do every option the Game Cube Controller has, and the player can play it consecutively. Neither controller is inferior to the other, unless one - two options are taken out. Because it's all about the player.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
so... long story short, the wiimote+nunchuk is in no way superior to the GCN controller and does not UNLOCK the hiden potential of sonic.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
so... long story short, the wiimote+nunchuk is in no way superior to the GCN controller and does not UNLOCK the hiden potential of sonic.
People have different styles of gameplay, it doesnt matter what controller you use. But the wiimote + nunchuck uses less finger movements.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Well, it certainly doesn't give him magical knockout potential to his specials or anything. But there is a difference, if only on the motor skills level. I doubt it's a matter of the control scheme so much as the players, though. Still, I'm going to have to wait until I get a hands-on to make any affirmations.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
People have different styles of gameplay, it doesnt matter what controller you use. But the wiimote + nunchuck uses less finger movements.
in what way does it use less finger movements? I mean my hands don't move much from the buttons they are originally on.

left is on control stick and L

right is on A, B and Z... though it will move to C-Stick once in a while.

BentoBox

Smash Master
finger =/= hand

you use your thumb for A B Y/X and the c-stick while you could use 3 different fingers with the mote/chuck. somewhat better when shffling... I wanna know how reliable shake smash really is though =/

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I guess I could see that... though I use Up to jump to it's not quite as big a deal for me..

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
in what way does it use less finger movements? I mean my hands don't move much from the buttons they are originally on.

left is on control stick and L

right is on A, B and Z... though it will move to C-Stick once in a while.
Personally I thought the wiimote on its own didn't use as much finger movements as the gamecube setup did, but I'd have to say that the wiimote/nunchuck setup is pretty similar (except it simply feels a bit more awkward to me).

finger =/= hand

you use your thumb for A B Y/X and the c-stick while you could use 3 different fingers with the mote/chuck. somewhat better when shffling... I wanna know how reliable shake smash really is though =/
Shake smash is pretty nice; there's pretty much no downside to enabling it on your controller, unless you have arthritis or some condition that makes you chronically shake your hands while playing smash. You only need to sort of flip it lightly in the direction you'd like to insta-smash, so it can be pretty similar to the c-stick in comparison from my observations.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Shake smash is pretty nice; there's pretty much no downside to enabling it on your controller, unless you have arthritis or some condition that makes you chronically shake your hands while playing smash. You only need to sort of flip it lightly in the direction you'd like to insta-smash, so it can be pretty similar to the c-stick in comparison from my observations.
Hmm, cool.

However, given that motion-sensing can never be quite as accurate as good ol' button-pushing, I'm slightly more inclined towards the GC controller. Even though I have to this day never performed a c-stick smash (because I'm a casual noob). But the hyphen-smashing and extra-range fsmash sound like they could both benefit greatly from it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Hmm, cool.

However, given that motion-sensing can never be quite as accurate as good ol' button-pushing, I'm slightly more inclined towards the GC controller. Even though I have to this day never performed a c-stick smash (because I'm a casual noob). But the hyphen-smashing and extra-range fsmash sound like they could both benefit greatly from it.
agreed... while it might be benificial in the dividing of labor so that the thumb doesn't have to do all... motion sensing isn't as accurate or relaible as a button... so I can never see the wiimote and nunchuck overtaking the GCN controller.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
agreed... while it might be benificial in the dividing of labor so that the thumb doesn't have to do all... motion sensing isn't as accurate or relaible as a button... so I can never see the wiimote and nunchuck overtaking the GCN controller.
Yeah. If there wasn't the whole issue of Wiimote/Nunchucks most likely being the controller enforced for the Gamestop tournament, I'd be back with my beloved wavebird.

DDAY

Smash Rookie
Richmond, B.C - AIM:PSYCH4BRAWL - 1v1s or 2v2's, n
Sonic is awesome against slow characters(obv). Ike's an easy opponent, as is DK and perhaps Dedede. Metaknight vs Sonic is a pretty good matchup. Marth is definitely tough to beat as Sonic. Overall, forget about character matchups.. just be Sonic The Edgehog.

Top Bottom