• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sometimes z-air airdodges instead of grapple beam?

Fitzsimmons

Smash Rookie
Hi all, I just recently started getting into brawl seriously.

I've run into a problem where samus will sometimes airdodge instead of firing out her grapple beam. I'm not talking about when she's stuck in the falling animation which you can airdodge out of (and not much else). When it happens to me it's usually just after a fresh jump. Am I holding another button that I shouldn't be or something, without realizing it?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Hi all, I just recently started getting into brawl seriously.

I've run into a problem where samus will sometimes airdodge instead of firing out her grapple beam. I'm not talking about when she's stuck in the falling animation which you can airdodge out of (and not much else). When it happens to me it's usually just after a fresh jump. Am I holding another button that I shouldn't be or something, without realizing it?
First, welcome to SmashBoards. You've been lurking for quite a while. :V

Second, what buttons are you pressing, exactly? Just the Z button, or are you using shield+A to do it?

Ive found that if you press down the z for to long it occasionally may airdodge, try just tapping it. Then again, this like never happens to me, so im not 100% sure.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Fo, for some reason, Z buffers air dodge after uair, fair, dair, and I think nair.

Interesting that I could never get it to air dodge after a bair.

It's just... buffering. I don't know why the shield gets priority over the attack input (i.e. why don't you ever see her do an nair), but that's how it is.

.... I thought you guys knew this. You even have the tips to "avoid air dodging after your aerials" in one of the guides! I know you do...

Anyway, Fitzsimmons, all you have to do is hit Z twice. You can zair from an air dodge at any time so you lose at most 1 frame. Maybe none, I don't know.

Alternately, you could switch to R+A(L+A) if you don't already, and instead of hitting R+A, hit R first and hold it, then press A.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Okay guys, I can't believe you don't already know this but... In Brawl, the grab button functions as Shield on frame 1 and Attack on frame 2. Pressing grab is exactly the same as pressing shield+attack at the same time. Remember that Brawl only buffers one input at a time, whatever the move may be (ftilt, screw attack, shield, whatever). While you're in the air, if you're buffering a move, say zair, you will always airdodge. This is because you can't buffer the Attack input from pressing Z. Zairs are the only move in the game you cannot buffer. This is one of the reasons why platform zair cancel is so difficult.←The only techy move I can really do with Samus.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
lol the truth is, you are in a hitstun/tumbling motion when you get hit so if you press Z you will airdodge(this was in melee).

To fix ALL of this, just airdodge, and then zair. You can airdodge OUT of anything(this is sad)

Top Bottom