• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something weird my bro did with Snake....(Possibly new AT)

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Opwt8QQ5Hs

Alright, so here's what happened. I was pretty near the edge of FD, my bro was on the other side. What happened is he dashed, then all of a sudden he slid right across me and off the stage a pretty far distance. Afterwards I asked him how the heck he did it and he said that he had no clue, but he just tried to do a dash attack. This makes me wonder........

With things like Boost Smashing and Boost grabbing discovered, it's possible that he canceled his dash attack and simply slid accross the stage instead. Thing is, what did he cancel it with and how? I was using my neutral A thing with Falco while he did it, so it's possible that his dash attack got canceled by the attack. Thing is, wouldn't Snake's dash attack have hit me from behind instead of being cancelled? If he inputted the dash attack right after running through me, would'nt he have flinched instead of just sliding? If his dash attack has more priority than Falco's wouldn't he have hit me instead of having his attack cancelled?

Sorry if people already know about this.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Wait did he slide off the stage too? Was there any contact between you and your bro? If it was dash cancelled upsmash (aka kara smash) then he should have stopped at the edge. Also did your bro SD or did he make it back onto the stage?

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
Yup, he slid off the stage, but we quit right after that to save the replay since we were so surprised, so he wasn't really given the chance to recover. He would've made it, though. And we only made contact for a split second or so.

I'm gonna try uploading the replay right now so I could make the story clearer.

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
^I can upload it myself, actually, but I guess it would be better if you upload it since my cellphone has low quality. And sorry, I don't have AIM, but I'll just try sending you the replay anyway.

I'm just gonna upload my low quality vid right now just in case. I'll send you the replay in a while.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think I've fluked this a couple of times... Hasn't anyone else dash attacked off the ledge to a fair accidently? This seems to be the same thing, minus him fairing after the fall...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
interesting.

move this to Snake's character borads. it's more likely to produce fruit there.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Could you actually send the replay to someone with a capture device? The video you have gave me a good idea of the effects, but not really what caused it.

This could be a great find!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Snake's hands look like they were mid high from the ground (If you can stop it very quickly near the 00:12 mark you will see where his hands are during the dash attack right before he slides off.) I would guess that there is a transition period in the dash attack somewhere around that point where the game registers Snake as being airborne instead of on the ground. It doesn't look like he clanks with Falco's jabs so I guess the next most reasonable theory is that at some point in his Dash attack that he isn't completely on the ground and that when he meets the edge that he just slides off with the Dash Attack momentum.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I've done something similar as well. I was playing as Luigi vs. Peach. She n-aired me, which caused Luigi to slide, and then I dash attacked off the ledge. I thought it was just because Luigi in general has horrible traction. I've got a replay of it. If anyone is interested, I will upload it to Youtube.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Maybe when Falco's jab combo ended, it pushed him back far enough to evade the hitbox. IDK, I don't really have a good idea as to why Snake just went through Falco like air. There's just too many weird things in that video for me to analyze lol.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Just to throw this out there

I've done this twice with Sheik using the dash attack so it isn't limited to just Snake, also the hit box does come out.

How or why this happens I don't know, but I have notice this happen to me before but because of how fast pace the match was I wasn't completely sure if I was just seeing things.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Edge-canceled dash attacks. Don't know what they could be used for, but interesting nonetheless.

@Jeepy - the second one looks like a property of Lucario's pivot. It looks like when Lucario turns around, he turns on his front foot instead of his back. Also, extra momentum was probably carried into the pivot from the jump, resulting in a half-done Craq Walk*-like slide.

@Tristan - The timing of the hitbox's release differs by character. Snake's hitbox deploys slower than Shiek's, which explains why Smash Boosting is easier for Snake than Shiek.

Snake's hitbox does not deploy at the very beginning of the dash attack, but just as his hands touch the ground for the roll. Falco wasn't hit because he was in the right place at the right time.

*even though that's the name of the technique, I cringe every time I type it

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Ive got a replay of something similar, except its with olimar i think... i accidently somehow did a really long roll when TL tried to Dair me. i can send the replay to someone, i have no way of making a video of it myself. it seems similar to this though (except it was a roll)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Imagine this being canceled into a reliable jab lock like...sheik for instance...sick...

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
It looks to me like his hands meet the edge of the stage or maybe even pass it I figure since his dash attack isn't touching the ground or what the game considers enough ground it canceled into just being in the air, yet kept his momentum. For those saying this is useless if you've seen Capt Falcons moonwalk in melee you'd think it was useless, but I've seen many uses for it including launching yourself off the edge for edge guarding.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
There was a thread on the Lucas boards not long ago about someone who reported doing an upsmash and falling off the ledge, keeping the hitbox but cancelling all ending lag. None of us have been able to reproduce it though. If this is in fact possible, then I'm sure these things are related. We really need to figure out how to do this and see how we can use it.

Lid

Smash Apprentice
I have done this a couple time with captain falcon's dash too, i don't know how but it linked rly well into an Uair.
sadly no replay

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
If this can be understood, we may have a new technique on our hands, even more so if this cna be used with anyone.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I figured it out. Its not that big of a deal. Immediately after you get hit by an attack (when you're near the edge) do a dash attack or a running upsmash, and instead of stopping on the edge like you normally would, you end up falling off. Its only possible after you get hit, making it completely useless IMO.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Ive got a replay of something similar, except its with olimar i think... i accidently somehow did a really long roll when TL tried to Dair me. i can send the replay to someone, i have no way of making a video of it myself. it seems similar to this though (except it was a roll)
Lol that's nothin special. It's just mid roll the push from Tlinks d-air pushed you faster.

bacun

Smash Rookie
I figured it out. Its not that big of a deal. Immediately after you get hit by an attack (when you're near the edge) do a dash attack or a running upsmash, and instead of stopping on the edge like you normally would, you end up falling off. Its only possible after you get hit, making it completely useless IMO.
That is soooo lame. I guess it makes sense since the game would read your momentum differently following a hit vs. when you're fine.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
It may just be my shoddy computer, but it doesn't look like Snake was hit by an attack. Falco was doing his Jab A, and stopped just before Snake did his dash attack. At least I couldn't see a hitbox.

Another strange thing is that Snake's dash attack went right through Falco. It may just be a bizarre property of his that I am unaware of, or Falco may have just spot dodged, which would prove that Snake was not hit.

Like I said, my computer is horrendous, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

cman

Smash Ace
I saw nothing hit snake before he did it. THe last attack was falco's upsmash, and he landed and stopped completely after being hit by it. Unless maybe the game registered falco's neutral a combo as hitting snake mid dash attack? If it did though, snake took no damage from it, leading me to doubt your explanation

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Uh... I've been able to consistently recreate this over and over again. It is only possible after you get hit, in a short time frame (likely dependent on the attack you were hit by), due to the extra momentum you have from the attack itself. Yes, Snake does land, but you can land after you get hit, as long as you do the dash attack right afterwards.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me of something similar. It happens when you attack the opponent with anyone who has a sliding dash attack. This is while the opponent is shielding. Or, if they powershield. It has to be on, or right next to the edge. After doing this, you just fly off. I think there was a video of it somewhere.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me that there is a different coefficient of friction used when you are performing an attack, so it can cause awkward slides when you have momentum from an enemy attack in that time frame. Is there any slide examples this wouldn't explain?

Top Bottom