• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something that could please the people against Brawl+ and more

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
This idea could potentially help or hurt the Brawl+ project. If it is indeed intended to be a community based project, then this could certainly help.

It's obvious that there's a bunch of people that are discontent with the current Brawl+ we put out. But I'm sure they could do it better right? lol
More of a joke there, but who knows? Maybe people want to start making their own versions of Brawl+...

We already have some people making their own sets like Kupo and managing it, updating it, etc, so why not help the community do this so everyone could have a piece of that sweet brawl+ pie that they could call their own.

There are the text files for each release that has all of the codes along with the names of them, but for people trying to make their own modifications, they don't really know how to understand and modify them to their own desire.

What if we worked together to create sort of like a mini guide to modifying Brawl+ to your own liking, that takes the codes we have, and explains how to use them, for instance which values to modify, and lists of possible values. No need to make it extra noob friendly explaining number by number, since i'm sure only those with some sort of technical prowess will be able to take on the challenge with some decent results.

It shouldn't take a while to make sure a guide, and I think a lot of people will really enjoy it.

Nothing's stopping people now from modifying it, but why not help them out a lil

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It wouldn't be a bad idea, but it'd be a pain in the *** to write up. We have a unified tournament standard, so while people would like to make their own stuff I don't think that our set is in any danger of losing it's credibility. TO's are going to side with us because we have an incredible team backing it comprised of excellent coders, long term smashers, and to top it off we are the official group of the smash boards. That said, it'd be good to let other people in on it, as long as someone is willing to go out of their way to type it all out. It would give them an idea as to how complicated things are, and it would even give them a better understanding of the game mechanics. With that knowledge they could contest our own judgement calls, and honestly we might be able to benefit from the interaction.

As far as people not liking the latest versions of the code, judging from what I've heard from people who disapprove of something, most of them really have no idea what they are talking about. For example, Silven and the argument over Ivy's >b. Yeah, it's really good, but it's not *that* good. The problem is he is too immature to realize that he should first try to learn how to deal with it before yelling nerf. If there are people who disagree with something we do then we should simply address their argument, debate with them, and stand strong. Sometimes the things people say will have merit, and if that is the case we can always strike up a compromise. Another example would be the Silven case, where Cape decided to drop the speed of the razor leaf and gave Ivy other buffs. So yeah, while I don't think 1.5 was too fast, it did alter Ivysaurs game to perhaps be too focused on using his projectile, and we already have a character that spams projectiles with a similar ****ty recovery.

Almas

Smash Lord
I'll be writing such a guide for the new engine codes anyway, since they're trickier to handle. But the biggest obstacle for many is the fact that a USB Gecko is required to get data values, and I doubt anyone has those.

D

Deleted member

I honestly think that this is not such a good idea. people having their own set is great and everything, but we will get people organising tourneys with their own set, and just like kupo's set, have people that prefer such sets over the official one.

this would split up the B+ community even more, and I don't think that we want that.

a different option would be to make kupo's set more a community input set, so that people can have their say in something but we will at least reduce it to one set. also, kupo knows how the values work so he can implement stuff easier. but this is up to kupo ofcourse

shanus

Smash Hero
i too dislike the idea of splitting the community further

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
We could also use it here in the WBR specifically. Like when suggesting new values, I would personally rather not just say random numbers myself but test how they are before I suggest anything.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
this would split up the B+ community even more, and I don't think that we want that.
I doubt it. The only brawl+ set that has legitimacy is ours. I very much doubt we will have to compete with others. It's not so much about what people prefer, it's more about what the TO's think. Most TO's try to run legit tournaments, and using a non-standard codeset would not help. We have the backing of the site, we have a team of intelligent people, it would be very, very hard for them to win over us.

Also, by releasing it, I think the project would receive positive feedback. That way nobody could say we are hoarding this knowledge and preventing other people from making their own stuff.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I think we should just keep the our set as the final set to work with. Last thing we need is everyone throwing out their own code sets and whatnot.

Although the idea is quite formidable, but I firmly believe that in order for this project to properly cultivate, we must all unify and be open minded about what changes need to be made and try to keep deviated projects at a minimum.

kupo15

Smash Hero
but this is up to kupo ofcourse
I wouldn't mind. I thought the whole point of the nightly builds, and in particular, my set was for experimenting. It will still of course be along the direction I want since its my set, but we can give it a try. I want the plussery to adopt some of the popular things I do in my set to help the plussery set which is what I thought the entire point of the nightly builds was but it hasn't worked as smoothly at the inception of the idea

Top Bottom