• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Somebody play pokemon with me (Plus maybe tournaments?)

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Cresselia used Calm Mind.
Cresselia's special attack was raised.
Cresselia's special defence was raised.
Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.
Cresselia's leftovers restored its health a little!
Cresselia restored 6% of its health.

Suicune used Calm Mind.

Suicune used Calm Mind.

Suicune used Calm Mind.
Cresselia restored 2% of its health.

Cresselia used Psychic.
Suicune lost 23% of its health.
Suicune used Surf.
A critical hit!
Cresselia lost 100% of its health.
XIF's Cresselia fainted.
Suicune's leftovers restored its health a little!
Suicune restored 6% of its health.

XIF: ........

XIF

Smash Master
What's the point of Air Slash on that Farfetch'd? I know it kinda hides your strategy, but using Air Slash after a Swords Dance is REALLY conspicuous.
It's really just filler, but the flinch chance is nice. The only thing that matters is agility and flail. Swords dance is a plus if they switch for whatever reason.

Oh, and I finally got past some BS matches with my original team and started winning again. That crit after the calm minds was ridiculous.

verycoolguy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CoolVCG
What do yall Pokemon masters think of this Gallade set?

Gallade@Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
Night Slash/Shadow Sneak

Good Special Defense and Attack stat with a mediocre Defense calls for Bulk Up to last a while. Drain Punch sucks HP away. Ice/ThunderPunch hits Flying types who can hurt Gallade. I'm leaning towards ThunderPunch so Skarmory or Suicune can get hit harder to try to stop Phazing from happening. Night Slash is used to hit Ghosts who can give Gallade trouble. Shadow Sneak can be used to deal with Gengar but it requires a Bulk Up or two to actually OHKO.
Drain Punch should be used wisely because 8 PP sucks. Low Defense/High HP Pokemon should watch out for this set.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Defensive Gallade isn't very effeicient. Your current moveset doesn't have a real sweeping tool once you set up with BU nor does Gallade's stats/typing function as a wall.

If you want to use bu with gallade I recommend atk/def/hp ev's, positive atk nature and bulk up, close combat and shadow sneak(essential for ghost switch in) for the moveset. Last slot can be Tpunch as mentioned above, or whatever else you have trouble with on a switch in.

Swap out BU with swords dance if you want a pure offensive gallade.

edit: I'm on now if anyone wants to play.

XIF

Smash Master
What do yall Pokemon masters think of this Gallade set?

Gallade@Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
Night Slash/Shadow Sneak

Good Special Defense and Attack stat with a mediocre Defense calls for Bulk Up to last a while. Drain Punch sucks HP away. Ice/ThunderPunch hits Flying types who can hurt Gallade. I'm leaning towards ThunderPunch so Skarmory or Suicune can get hit harder to try to stop Phazing from happening. Night Slash is used to hit Ghosts who can give Gallade trouble. Shadow Sneak can be used to deal with Gengar but it requires a Bulk Up or two to actually OHKO.
Drain Punch should be used wisely because 8 PP sucks. Low Defense/High HP Pokemon should watch out for this set.
Gallade with def. EV's is usually just a lost cause, you're still gonna beef it to scizor's X-scissor anyway, so I personally wouldn't bother. I would personally go with gallade @ life orb with SD/Close Combat/Shadow Sneak/T or I Punch. T punch sounds like a good idea with gyarados, but close combat with SD is already doing like 75% to skarmory and suicune, depending on their spreads, so a little SR action and you're good to go with them. I personally think Ice Punch is the better choice, because there are other things that can take on gyarados even after a DD, but few can take on Salamence after a DD. Plus, there's so many flygon's and even dragonites now, plus in a pinch you can use it against gliscor.

Either or is a fine choice though.

Drain punch is generally not a good idea on any pokemon <_<

if you still want bulk, just max out HP, and dump the rest into speed/attack, i'd probably stick with an adamant nature because his base atk is so high that the 10% boost really makes a difference.

verycoolguy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CoolVCG
If I wanted to use Swords Dance and Close Combat, I'd just forget Gallade and go Lucario. He has Extremespeed, and he's faster.

The set was meant to make Gallade a sturdy tank that hits back hard, in slow pace. With the given Defense EVs, Gallade gains 100 (or 99?) stat points for Defense. With extra healing from Leftovers and Drain Punch, it shouldn't be difficult to get in another Bulk Up, so Drain Punch hurts harder and sucks more and more HP, making more Bulk Ups easier to get in.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Ok... so after playing for a while (although still haven't played any of y'all to my knowledge.)
I don't understand why random individual things are banned. Get over it. It's pokemon.
  • Increasing evasiveness banned
    • kills potential baton passers (drifblim lol)
    • removes the usefulness of moves like swift and aerial ace, etc.
    • phasing moves still reset this anyways
  • Quick Claw and Focus Band banned
    • Don't see why you can be prepared for other items (empoleon sweep method) and not these.
  • 1 hit KO moves banned
    • But explosion isn't? how is there a difference? Frequently you'll kill the KO move person before they hit you, and other times they'll get to you. Even if they do kill you just clean up with a revenge killer... half the time you die, half the time they die... explosion: all the time you both die. No difference in expected value.

Now if all items were banned or all pokes with this and that were, then that'd make sense. But the things which are banned just seem so arbitrary.

exarch

doot doot doot
The probably just need to learn what "expected value" means.

Also, a question... this just happened to me in Ubers:

Alakazam is tightening its focus!
Alakazam used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Bastiodon lost 45% of its health.
exarch21's Bastiodon fainted.

I was trying to use Roar... why didn't I?

Didn't make too big a deal cause I won the match eventually (with some luck no doubt.)
I'd just like to avoid getting my Bastiodon wrecked by Focus Punch as much as possible.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Probably a coding error in Shoddy. I can see how it would go down in their program, its kind of like anti-priority moves.

Code probably told Roar to go last.
Focus punch said to go last, but the codding, for whatever reason, gave more importance to the Roar as the last function.
Maybe that's how it works in pokemon too.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Ok... so after playing for a while (although still haven't played any of y'all to my knowledge.)
I don't understand why random individual things are banned. Get over it. It's pokemon.
  • Increasing evasiveness banned
    • kills potential baton passers (drifblim lol)
    • removes the usefulness of moves like swift and aerial ace, etc.
    • phasing moves still reset this anyways
  • Quick Claw and Focus Band banned
    • Don't see why you can be prepared for other items (empoleon sweep method) and not these.
  • 1 hit KO moves banned
    • But explosion isn't? how is there a difference? Frequently you'll kill the KO move person before they hit you, and other times they'll get to you. Even if they do kill you just clean up with a revenge killer... half the time you die, half the time they die... explosion: all the time you both die. No difference in expected value.

Now if all items were banned or all pokes with this and that were, then that'd make sense. But the things which are banned just seem so arbitrary.
Banning evasion moves makes the game a little less random (some stuff you just cant take out)

I don't think Focus band and quick claw are banned but people think that they are cheap items (ive won with a quick claw pichu before if that tells you anything)

As for OHKO vs Explosion. OHKO moves kill you in one hit where Def and Sp Def dont matter. That takes away from the competitiveness of the game more. Explosion can be survived with the right stats and Typing. Plus the other person has to sac a pokemon to use the most.

I used to be active with shoddy, Smogon, and MLG so im not just talking out of my A$$

The probably just need to learn what "expected value" means.

Also, a question... this just happened to me in Ubers:

Alakazam is tightening its focus!
Alakazam used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Bastiodon lost 45% of its health.
exarch21's Bastiodon fainted.

I was trying to use Roar... why didn't I?

Didn't make too big a deal cause I won the match eventually (with some luck no doubt.)
I'd just like to avoid getting my Bastiodon wrecked by Focus Punch as much as possible.
Roar always goes Last even When a focus punch is going to happen. If they are going to focus punch just hit them. although Alakazam with focus punch is stupid anyway

verycoolguy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CoolVCG
Roar has negative 6 priority while Focus Punch has negative 3.

Having an Evasive statupper with Substitute, and a recovery move, is really gay.... It makes perfect accuracy moves more useful, but they make everything else less useful. Also, Aerial Ace is rather weak. Phasing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind aren't guaranteed to work because those have moves don't get passed Evasion modifiers.

I guess Focus Band and Quick Claw are banned because their effects can be too good, and they work very randomly, so you can't really prepare for those.

OHKO moves are pure gambling... To deal with Explosion, you can predict it and switch to a Ghost type or something like Skarmory, or use Protect. Everything gets hit by Sheer Cold.

XIF

Smash Master
They ban items with random chances where the random effect is really busted (being able to go first no matter what is REALLY REALLY GOOD) but the one they don't take out is brightpowder, which raises evasion. However, evasion is considered a stats with it's own boosts and falls, and brightpowder affects the stat rather than give it's own random chance.

Focus band is simply ridiculous and gives you a chance to survive any move to matter what, and is incomparable to whatever busted item or move you can think of.

OHKO moves are just kind of lame, and give some characters some stupid ways to shift the match for no skill involved.

exarch

doot doot doot
Yea, I looked up roar's priority after Kingpin mentioned it. I didn't know that >_> Also yes FocusP on Alakazam is dumb... but the whole match was pretty lulzy.

Having a defensive stat upper (with substitute) and a recovery move is pretty gay too. There's ways through it. Multiple hit moves etc. Haze does get through evasion modifiers. And if you're spamming just evasion stat ups, the phasing moves will work before much/any damage can be done.

As for quickclaw, both teammates can use it, as well as focus band; in fact focus band is a good counter to quick claw... multi-hit moves would be good against focus band, no?

Overall, I guess the inconsistencies of banning don't make sense to me. No evasive moves, but brightpowder and sand veil/snow cloak are ok.

Anyways, the majority of the game is luck based at the top levels. Critical hits, imperfect accuracy moves, and just plain flat out teams countering others. There's no one team which can beat all the others. I don't see why such a big deal is made out of some aspects, and because of this quite a few pokemon become completely useless or outclassed.
Cloyster against Focus Banders?
Quick Claw as a (risky) counter to Scizor's BulletPunching annoyance?
honestly quick claw : choice scarf :: life orb : choice band/specs; there's a small increase in speed (averaged over several turns) and you're not locked into one move.​

XIF

Smash Master
I don't know how to explain to you that those two items are super busted, it's really just self evident.

I'll say that the two items break the already existing metagame, in that normally viable tactics just have a random chance of not working. Not to say that this doesn't happen already to an extent, but for instance the only reason someone like Rampardos doesn't destroy salamence is because he's too slow, while salamence can just EQ him before anything. Rampardos would completely destroy teams if he could hit first, no questions asked, so you can really just give quick claw to any dumb pokemon and make them have a random chance of being viable.

Focus Band... I really don't understand how you can think it's not busted. Focus sash is bad enough as it is.

exarch

doot doot doot
Sturdy pokemon>1 hit KO pokes, just sayin. That ability becomes useless without the moves, taking away the legitimacy of some poke's. Heck, Skarmory has Sturdy, but he never uses it. Also Mold Breaker/other abilities which negate abilities beat the machamp + 1hit ko combo

Don't worry Alex I'll get you some other time... I was cleaning and not in the room when you first challenged me.

Also, I agree going first no matter what is hella good, but they don't ban priority moves (Scizor's BP is ********.)

Basically I'm complaining about the inconsistencies of the banning.

XIF

Smash Master
Sturdy pokemon>1 hit KO pokes, just sayin. That ability becomes useless without the moves, taking away the legitimacy of some poke's. Heck, Skarmory has Sturdy, but he never uses it. Also Mold Breaker/other abilities which negate abilities beat the machamp + 1hit ko combo

Don't worry Alex I'll get you some other time... I was cleaning and not in the room when you first challenged me.

Also, I agree going first no matter what is hella good, but they don't ban priority moves (Scizor's BP is ********.)

Basically I'm complaining about the inconsistencies of the banning.
But priority moves are usually low base power (extreme speed being the only exception, but very few pokemon learn it anyway, plus it has only 8PP) To balance out the fact you get to go first. Quick claw does not have this balance.

The problem with BP scizor is that it has STAB+Technician, so it really beefs it up.

exarch

doot doot doot
Well, sure they aren't low base power, but they aren't always hitting first either.

Also Trick Room isn't banned either, and that rewards pokemon for being slower. Even if it takes a turn to set up...

Scizor is ********. 90 base power (after stab and technician) priority move is dumb. He doesn't even need agility to sweep (even though he he can learn THAT too,) when he's supposed to be a slow pokemon. He's got too much going for him. Scizor for uber (not really.) /rant

Also, all sheer cold users are NU except Kyogre and Abomasnow (who'd probably be better off blizzarding with 100 accuracy.) They look like they could use a boost to jump a tier.

I'm not sure what was the most satisfying thing I did today, Onehit KO a gyarados with bastiodon or countering a scizor with luxray.

exarch

doot doot doot
Well, to keep things really basic.

If quick claw only works 1/5 of the time, then the expected power of the quickclaw-priority attack is (1/5)*(base power of the move); you can expect QC to work 1/5 of the time, multiplied by the move which is being modified.

So the actual strength of getting QC to work is max 50 basepower (and that's explosion's 250Base.) Most move's priority-strength in conjunction with QC is going to be less than 20 (Fthrower, Tbolt, Ibeam.)

That is, any pokemon who has a quickclaw, when it works, is only hitting you with a 50 max, ~20 Base normally. That's much weaker than quickattack.

----
Now actually if you want to calculate how it effects the overall move's power, then I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. Regardless, because it only works 1/5 of the time, it isn't going to change the expected base power of a typical move more than 25.

It should also be pointed out, because of the 2/10 modifier, quickclaw powers moves up less than lifeorb (3/10), with no hp loss.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Well, sure they aren't low base power, but they aren't always hitting first either.

Also Trick Room isn't banned either, and that rewards pokemon for being slower. Even if it takes a turn to set up...

Scizor is ********. 90 base power (after stab and technician) priority move is dumb. He doesn't even need agility to sweep (even though he he can learn THAT too,) when he's supposed to be a slow pokemon. He's got too much going for him. Scizor for uber (not really.) /rant

Also, all sheer cold users are NU except Kyogre and Abomasnow (who'd probably be better off blizzarding with 100 accuracy.) They look like they could use a boost to jump a tier.

I'm not sure what was the most satisfying thing I did today, Onehit KO a gyarados with bastiodon or countering a scizor with luxray.
yeah, we should allow Quick Claw. i would love to plan out an attack against a slow Pokemon, and then have his Flare Blitz randomly come out first over my faster Pokemon's attacks. Scizor is the only stupid priority move example, and he ONLY got Bullet Punch/Technician this generation, i believe.

also, you haven't lived until you've taken out someone's Moltres and Gengar with only Luvdisc.

XIF

Smash Master
quick claw doesnt make a move better, it makes it go first. It makes the pokemon better, because an otherwise slower pokemon would go first 20% of the time for no drawback. You can't mathematically calculate a moves power based on whether it goes first or not (with obvious exceptions like metalburst and payback, but I digress). Take my jolteon versus a salamence. I have hidden power ice, and it has earthquake. We can both ohko each other. However, my jolteon is faster, and thus will kill him first. That is why jolteon is good, it's not the strongest, or bulkiest, but it usually goes first, whereas salamence has a god awful amount of attack. But wait, quick claw kicks in, and now, through no greater strategy on my opponents part, i have lost.

Bullet Punch was not even just this generation, he got it specifically in platinum. I used to use scizor back before on shoddy with quick attack, before he had broken punch.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Wait, exarch is trying to say quick claw isn't broken?

Lol

XIF's scenario is the exact reason Quick Claw is broken. Imagine getting hit by Entei's Flare Blitz before you can...

oh wait.

-Rayku

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I'm up for some games tonight if anyone wants to play.

Also how bout them tournaments?

Top Bottom