• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some problems picking up Samus

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Hi all, I'm pretty new on these boards.. I was a Ike main untill recently when I decided I just enjoyed playing with Samus alot more =)

But I ran into a few difficulties..
I have insane difficulties against characters with a good Close Combat game and projectile (wolf for example).

At close range I get ***** and at a long distance I get locked down as well with a well timed Zair being my only real defense :/
Especially when I'm forced to the edge I am in a serious disadvantage it seems against this Wolf with his laser spam that outspeeds me and an air game (back air) the really destroys me.

How should I react to this? Any advice =)?

Must be noted that i'm still picking Samus up, so I still have stuff to learn :p (i've read the guide and the database already btw).

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
Hi all, I'm pretty new on these boards.. I was a Ike main untill recently when I decided I just enjoyed playing with Samus alot more =)

I have insane difficulties against characters with a good Close Combat game and projectile (wolf for example).

At close range I get ***** and at a long distance I get locked down as well with a well timed Zair being my only real defense :/
Especially when I'm forced to the edge I am in a serious disadvantage it seems against this Wolf with his laser spam that outspeeds me and an air game (back air) the really destroys me.

Must be noted that i'm still picking Samus up, so I still have stuff to learn :p (i've read the guide and the database already btw).
looking in the video section. when i first picked up samus, the vids i found helped way better than the guides

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Since I haven't written anything regarding Wolf, please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7lZadt-UE

And this Wolf player isn't the only person I have brawled with who uses Wolf.

Sago

Smash Lord
i've faught most of the good wolfs there are so if they trap you on the ledge iwht lasers use zar through the stage if possible :) i like the wolf matchup one of my best

Royta

Smash Journeyman
lol same colours on both the samus and wolf ;p

thanks for the vids, learned a thing or two =) The match is going much better now, think I just needed to learn how to mindgame into the spike mostly and just zair him to death ;p

Thanks!

edit: I forgot about the Zair through the stage.. stupid xD that should work really well! thanks =D

Uffe

Smash Hero
Don't worry. My Samus still needs work, too. I'm mostly doing close combat as well, which I guess is okay. I could use more Missiles and zair, but I have a hard time short hopping with her. Anyway, close combat doesn't seem to be Samus' best approach. However, if you practice a lot with this, your Samus will get really good when fighting close. If Wolf likes to reflect, use your Homing Missiles since they're slow anyway. You can then use zair since that can't be reflected.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Yo I had some trouble pickin' up Samus too. I tried to spit some fly game to her but she just gave me the cold shoulder.

So I picked up Metaknight cuz he's really light and didn't strain my back at all.

And then I contributed very bad puns to this board.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Yo I had some trouble pickin' up Samus too. I tried to spit some fly game to her but she just gave me the cold shoulder.

So I picked up Metaknight cuz he's really light and didn't strain my back at all.

And then I contributed very bad puns to this board.
epic post!

I'll try and use Metaknight more to increase my Samus' metagame!

@UFFE: I tried luring out a Reflector with missles and Zairing him, worked like a charm thanks =) The match has pretty much changed from getting 2 stocked to 2stocking him xD awesome!

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
thanks for the vids, learned a thing or two =) The match is going much better now, think I just needed to learn how to mindgame into the spike mostly and just zair him to death ;p
to lure wolf into the spike (along with everyone else, Espically the space animals), it helps to full hop and shoot 2 or 3 homing missles at them. they will stop them dead in their tracks setting them up perfectly for the spike. this method isn't fullproof, but it does work..... alot.

Smash Saej

Smash Cadet
To further set up the edge guard-spike approach, it is very useful to use the triple missle cancel on ememies right after you hit them off the stage a good distance, against most characters who have decent to low recoveries will have to decide to get hit by the missles, or AD, and if they dodge, they will only fall further awaqy from the stage, and if they take the missle, making it easier to set up the spike. That tactic has been really helpful to my edge game.

Top Bottom