• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

some falcon combo discoveries

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
I use Falcon as my low tier (I think everyone should have a low tier in any fighting game they play), and I have been using falcon a lot in training and have found some legit combos with him. Legit combos are one that actually raise the counter in traning. I have tested these and they do work. All these combos are tested on snake cause his utilt is a *****. DI is obviously taken isnt taken in account but these should help advance falcon. I also made a thread about it with my discoveries with fox here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172447

0-25% - uair to jab combo - uair has to be done deep.

0-999%- first hit of nair to jab combo- the nair has to be deep enough that the 2nd hit doesnt come out.

0-20%- both hits of nair to jab - fastfall the nair makes it easier

0-30% - nair to ftilt - fastfall the nair makes it easier, near 30% you have to tilt the ftilt up.

0-35% - bair to dash attack - this one is tricky as you have to do a falling bair while having it still autocancel.

40-65% - dair to jab - the dair has to be done fast enough to autocancel.

65- 120%- dair to knee - the dair has to be done fast enough to autocancel. The dair creates a surprsing amount of hit stun and gives you enough time to double jump knee at the higher percents and still count it as 2 hits. You can of course substitue the knee for other aerials (but why would you do that?)

0-55% - nair to uair - YOU HAVE TO FASTFALL THE NAIR, to get this to work. at near the 50% range you have to have forward momentum on your nair

0-45% - nair to nair to uair- AGAIN YOU MUST FASTFALL THE NAIRS to get this to register.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Good ****. This is a pretty sick thread. Nice work.

Any new Falcon vids?

Edit: God, Dair to Knee feels good.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
lots of good information

falcon game is now this

nair to uair until 50%, dair to jab until 65%, then dair to knee until they die

>_>

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sweet :d

i was thinking/hoping someone should make one of these soon lol. n-air>x is so nice.

I use alt as my low tier (I think everyone should have a low tier in any fighting game they play), and I have been using falcon a lot in training and have found some legit combos with him. Legit combos are one that actually raise the counter in traning. I have tested these and they do work. All these combos are tested on snake cause his utilt is a *****. DI is obviously taken isnt taken in account but these should help advance falcon. I also made a thread about it with my discoveries with fox here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172447

0-999%- first hit of nair to jab combo- the nair has to be deep enough that the 2nd hit doesnt come out.

0-30% - nair to ftilt - fastfall the nair makes it easier, near 30% you have to tilt the ftilt up.

0-35% - bair to dash attack - this one is tricky as you have to do a falling bair while having it still autocancel.

0-55% - nair to uair - YOU HAVE TO FASTFALL THE NAIR, to get this to work. at near the 50% range you have to have forward momentum on your nair

0-45% - nair to nair to uair- AGAIN YOU MUST FASTFALL THE NAIRS to get this to register.
I knew it! FF N-air is too good :x

65- 120%- dair to knee - the dair has to be done fast enough to autocancel. The dair creates a surprsing amount of hit stun and gives you enough time to double jump knee at the higher percents and still count it as 2 hits. You can of course substitue the knee for other aerials (but why would you do that?)
I knew it, that d-air had potential after all xD

good stuff x]

Iwan

Smash Ace
Good ****. This is a pretty sick thread. Nice work.

Any new Falcon vids?

Edit: God, Dair to Knee feels good.
I just tried it out too and...well I'll be ****ed if the topic creator didn't just find a good KO combo for falcon.

Well f***in done topic creator.
lol amazing the things we as "regulars" don't think of....
Dair to knee...original lol :p...

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I knew it! FF N-air is too good :x
Remember, Snake is the test subject here. Snake is one of the tallest characters in the game. The nair combos are essentially impossible against shorties like Squirtle, Jiggly, Pikachu, Kirby, MK, Olimar, etc. Completely inviable.

About the thread though, it sounds great. Did you test this with airdodging/attacking out of the hitstun though? Or was this just done with stand-still targets? Just wondering. I'm assuming the former.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I just did the Dair -> Knee one in a real match and the computer was able to air dodge everytime. :(

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I use alt as my low tier (I think everyone should have a low tier in any fighting game they play), and I have been using falcon a lot in training and have found some legit combos with him. Legit combos are one that actually raise the counter in traning. I have tested these and they do work. All these combos are tested on snake cause his utilt is a *****. DI is obviously taken isnt taken in account but these should help advance falcon. I also made a thread about it with my discoveries with fox here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172447

Some of these are things I already do or see people use but they are nonetheless good tactics. I like the Nair-Nair_Uair Combo its difficult but very feasible and fits into the Defensive Anti Aerial approach that Falcon can use. Its a very good use of the Nair as it has already proved to be an effective tool but requires some setup to work. I will have to try that against an aerial based opponent and see how it fairs..er...works :)

The Dair to Knee combo is something Ive used religiously since Melee. It does NOT work like used to based on physics but its very effective if you're good at taking advantage of openings. Its just one of those REALLY time based moves where timing means the difference between a devastating combo or a laughable and punishable mistake. Also keep in mind the optimal damage percent to pull this off. If you dont do it right you could easily get air dodged or countered.

The Bair to Dash combo is tricky however it really doesn't have to stop at there. The way the dash shoulder tackle hits allows you to set up other moves like a Falcon Kick for example. Actually a short hopped Bair can be used in conjuction with the Kick at lower levels. It requires some canceling and some timing but it can be done well.

I also want to point out the use of the Jabs that you have incorporated into your comboing. I do not liberally use the Jab in combos but I use it a lot against incoming opponents. I do like the Nair to Jab combo its an ingenious way of using 2 moves that have some nice priority and interrupting an opponents rhythm. The dair to jab also is a good combo to use. Both however allow you to perhaps get in a quick and perhaps unexpected Falcon Kick as Jabs give you breathing room after a certain point. Because of the much faster startup and launch of the Kick its feasible. If you choose not to use the Jab until they become to far to hit you may be able to use the Falcon Dive as well. Hell, it has such a great grab radius you can really surprise people with it.

Also do not underestimate the Raptor Boost. It now has a sweet spot which makes it better in a way and still an effective move. People never seem to see an aerial Raptor Boost coming because of perhaps how open it can leave you if it misses. Use it after some Nairs and you may be able to set up some combos if you hit the right way with it. Raptor Boost is meant to get opponent's airbone and thats where Falcon shines compared to his ground play.

Play smart, watch for openings , get them in the air and punish them.

Good thread by the way. :)

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
I did it on a stand still target, but when the training counter goes up it means they were hit again during hitstun. Which means they wouldnt be able to airdodge or attack from it. Keykid your probably just doing it to slow, you dairing fast enough for it to autocancel? Also I am sure on some characters it might not work on, such as luigi, since he has like negative hitstun.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I did it on a stand still target, but when the training counter goes up it means they were hit again during hitstun. Which means they wouldnt be able to airdodge or attack from it. Keykid your probably just doing it to slow, you dairing fast enough for it to autocancel? Also I am sure on some characters it might not work on, such as luigi, since he has like negative hitstun.
I'm sure I was doing it right. I seriously just got out of Training Mode where I was registering 2 hit combos with it and then the computer air dodged it ridiculously quickly.

Let me go back and try again. lol

Ok I just did it in Training Mode with the computer on stand. At 75%, the Snake air dodged, then I Kneed him and it still registered 2 on the combo meter.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Maybe your test computer's level was not high enough for it to air dodge everytime. Level 9s definitely air dodge before the Knee comes though. :(

Edit: Yep, Level 3 computers (the standard Training level) don't airdodge before the Knee comes. That's where your problem lies.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
wow ok, you are right I still want to test this with people. But that does potentially me I just found absolutely nothing. Makes no sense why the counter will go up even if you could airdodge.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Woah, ok now. I just think I figured it out.

I just tried to break the combo humanly, and I COULDN'T.

Get this: you can air dodge BEFORE hitstun is over. However, even if they do, you still get them with the Knee. You CANNOT jump as early as you can air dodge, thereby making it impossible to escape.

Therefore, the only way to break these combos is to air dodge at the precise time of the second/next hit.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Woah, ok now. I just think I figured it out.

I just tried to break the combo humanly, and I COULDN'T.

Get this: you can air dodge BEFORE hitstun is over. However, even if they do, you still get them with the Knee. You CANNOT jump as early as you can air dodge, thereby making it impossible to escape.

Therefore, the only way to break these combos is to air dodge at the precise time of the second/next hit.
Yea...i was gona say, i seemed to be getting it consistently. I have a few of my competitive smash playing friends over, and just messing around against wolf, lucario, and EVEN PIKACHU, it's really difficult for them escape. The timing has to be pretty much EXACT on the airdodge, even if they mess up a little bit on the timing, my knee's still sweetspotting.

I'm pretty impressed...i think everyone should practice this a little bit. It's really not that hard to get down.

**EDIT**....also, ZodiakLucien, after we all test this enough to where we know it works for sure (seems like it does), you should post this in the allisbrawl falcon boards.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Indeed. Getting this down could be huge for Falcon's kill game. Think about it: Falcon can now potentially kill without THAT much difficulty in the 70%s. The Dair can be tricky to get but man when you get it it's game over for your opponent.

I'm definitely going to work on this.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
hmm really interesting with the airdodge, again when I get the chance I am going to have to test it. Keykid keep testing if you can cause it does help.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I started a Dair to Knee combo thread. I also am throwing in Uair combo percents too since Uair reaches higher than the Knee and can therefore combo longer.

During testing though, I found the oddest thing. I simply CANNOT get Dair to Knee to combo AT ALL on Samus. Uair works fine, but seriously there is nothing I can do to get that stupid little 1 on the consecutive hits counter to change to a 2 when trying Dair to Knee on her. Any thoughts on this? I'm puzzled.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Samus has always been an uncomboable character. =/ She just doesn't receive as much stun (this is from smash 64) which makes many combos worthless.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't see that D-air to knee would work reliably on other characters (especially after you factor in DI), but at least Snake is something good to get combos on.

And yeah, hitstun has IASA frames specifically for air dodging.

Krigar

Smash Rookie
I'm really liking the nair combos.

Even though nair is somewhat difficult to use on most opponents, I find that practicing the nair-nair-uair (etc) combos has motivated me to speed up how fast I can throw these out and combo off them. The difference between pulling out nair's immediately (right after jumping, like auto-canceled dair) and normally actually creates a noticeable difference.

Even if the opponent can combo-break these, I'm starting to feel a lot faster in the air.

Top Bottom