• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Giovanna looks so damn cool and it's neat to see Anji back! Can't wait to see his new look. I'm going to be predicting the final character as Sin until the end, but I wonder if it could be I-No, Baiken, Jam, or another cool return that isn't quite as big as Anji. Or it could be a super weird newcomer like Bedwoman or something. Oooor they'll just say screw it and give us Bridget or Robo-Ky. Who knows? Either way this game is gonna get tons of DLC I'm sure of it.

Can't wait to read the lore manga they've released. So cool to see it exists - it's always so hard to introduce friends to GG lore but it's one of my favorite fighting game stories so it's nice to have a way.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
With the reveal of a Standard Edition, this pretty much confirms the existence of a Season Pass by impying there'll be a "Deluxe Edition" that will contain that DLC. Not that there was any doubt about that for a Fighting Game in 2020 lmao.
for the record
season.JPG

Giovanna looks cool, but I can't say Anjis return does much for me, I'd rather have had Zappa if we were to get back one of the characters that missed Xrd. 15 is a bit on the low side for a fighting game roster too, I guess we'll see when I pick it up depending on its local price on Steam.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ok a few scattered thoughts i guess

-giovanna looks amazing, love her design

-anji coming back is exactly the type of completely random veteran choice i love to see. after the mainstays and ram they's just gone bat**** with the veterans and i love it

-now.....i have to admit i'm not a fan of the new ui. it still feels way too minimalistic for guilty gear especially considering xrd ****ing nailed it and now they've just done a 180 for no apparent reason. what always set gg apart from other anime fighters to me and what drew me in in the first place is that compared to everything else, it had this edge to it. and while it's still there, a game's ui can contribute so much to its overall atmosphere and visual identity, and as such, going the minimalist route still takes away from it a bit. a friend of mine put it best in that imagine persona 5 with strive's UI

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
for the recordView attachment 288979
Giovanna looks cool, but I can't say Anjis return does much for me, I'd rather have had Zappa if we were to get back one of the characters that missed Xrd. 15 is a bit on the low side for a fighting game roster too, I guess we'll see when I pick it up depending on its local price on Steam.
Yeah, completely missed the announcement but I was made aware of it right after I posted lmao, but thanks! The fact that the Season Pass is numbered means we're in it for the long run huh...
Fellas, screw your Smash Bros Fighter Pass 2 Wishlist, real men discuss their most wanted Guilty Gear characters for Season Pass 1.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Might need some reworking after we hear about our final character but: Baiken, Johnny, Zappa, Sin and Aria/Substitute Jack-O. I'm not super familiar with the GG lore to comment on characters who have yet to become playable to care much on those, maybe That Man?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
for the recordView attachment 288979
I'd say Zappa is unfortunately out, he appeared in Xrd Story Mode and has a completely different role and he's no longer possesed by demon ghosts. Of course that could change if they want.

Also I think no one has talked about it but if you go to this trailer, you can see some new things

The thumbnail moment clearly seems a ingame cinematic? of Sol going full Dragon Install. If I had to bet I'm guessing it's going to be part of his Instant Kill or something.

But most importantly at 0:34 of the video you can see how, somehow, Ky appears to assist Sol during a match, Marvel vs Capcom **** right here. Will be a story mode thing? A new mode?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I'd say Zappa is unfortunately out, he appeared in Xrd Story Mode and has a completely different role and he's no longer possesed by demon ghosts. Of course that could change if they want.

Also I think no one has talked about it but if you go to this trailer, you can see some new things

The thumbnail moment clearly seems a ingame cinematic? of Sol going full Dragon Install. If I had to bet I'm guessing it's going to be part of his Instant Kill or something.

But most importantly at 0:34 of the video you can see how, somehow, Ky appears to assist Sol during a match, Marvel vs Capcom **** right here. Will be a story mode thing? A new mode?
Yeah, Max noticed it too on his stream and discussed about it a fair bit. Honestly, my best bet is maybe a game mode inspired by Guilty Gear Isuka? So just basically multiplayer Guilty Gear, which would be wayy too hectic for my tastes. I'm personally hoping it's going to be a tag mechanic like in MvC because that'd be rad as ****.

Might need some reworking after we hear about our final character but: Baiken, Johnny, Zappa, Sin and Aria/Substitute Jack-O. I'm not super familiar with the GG lore to comment on characters who have yet to become playable to care much on those, maybe That Man?
That's a really good list and I would be more than satisfied if we ended up with that.

Honestly, as for the last character in the base game. I'm maybe thinking it's either That Man, Ariels or Chronus. Somehow I'm feeling it's going to be someone whose importance in the story is really big, a character like Android 21 (DBFZ) for example that you unlock by finishing the story mode. Personally hoping for an uncloaked That Man.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
BREAKING NEWS! Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R is going to get GGPO on Steam, which is basically the best kind of rollback netcode you can get. The beta will go live October 29th.

It's so cool to see old great fighting games getting rollback, not so long ago KOF 2002 UM got rollback as well. This is definitely great news and in a way I'm more hyped for this than I am for Strive, GGACR is easily my favourite fighting game. I'll definitely play it a lot more once that rollback comes around.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
BREAKING NEWS! Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R is going to get GGPO on Steam, which is basically the best kind of rollback netcode you can get. The beta will go live October 29th.

It's so cool to see old great fighting games getting rollback, not so long ago KOF 2002 UM got rollback as well. This is definitely great news and in a way I'm more hyped for this than I am for Strive, GGACR is easily my favourite fighting game. I'll definitely play it a lot more once that rollback comes around.
pretty cool! maybe i sould try to undust my testament and pull some gravediggers
Since testaments chances of reappearing in strive are fairly low for now.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah this is great. I'll come back to the game once they add the rollback. I'm also going to pick KOF 2002 UM soon. I wish they would add rollback to KOF XIII and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev as well lol

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Yeah this is great. I'll come back to the game once they add the rollback. I'm also going to pick KOF 2002 UM soon. I wish they would add rollback to KOF XIII and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev as well lol
Fairly certain that KOFXIII having rollback is an inevitability at this point. SNK seems to be really pushing Rollback in their older games now with Garou, KOF '97 and KOF 2002 officially being implemented with it by Code Mystics. As soon as Code Mystics is done with KOF 2002 UM, I can see them working on KOFXIII next. As for Xrd, we can only hope. I'm just glad both Strive and GGACR will both have amazing online and can coexist without one game replacing the other.

The future of fighting games is looking great, now if only Capcom could take a hint and officially implement that Rollback fanpatch into SFV like ArcSys did for GGPO in GGACR...

Also, once that Rollback gets added, I'm down to play some friendlies with anyone when I'm free. Just hit me up (though I'm a uni student so my time is fairly limited, but I'll try my best). And if anyone needs some resources or help I'll be glad to give a hand! I really want this game to boom in players now that Rollback gets added lmao.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Fairly certain that KOFXIII having rollback is an inevitability at this point. SNK seems to be really pushing Rollback in their older games now with Garou, KOF '97 and KOF 2002 officially being implemented with it by Code Mystics. As soon as Code Mystics is done with KOF 2002 UM, I can see them working on KOFXIII next. As for Xrd, we can only hope. I'm just glad both Strive and GGACR will both have amazing online and can coexist without one game replacing the other.

The future of fighting games is looking great, now if only Capcom could take a hint and officially implement that Rollback fanpatch into SFV like ArcSys did for GGPO in GGACR...

Also, once that Rollback gets added, I'm down to play some friendlies with anyone when I'm free. Just hit me up (though I'm a uni student so my time is fairly limited, but I'll try my best). And if anyone needs some resources or help I'll be glad to give a hand! I really want this game to boom in players now that Rollback gets added lmao.
Yeah. Thing is I'm not sure if they would add rollback for Rev 2. I imagine it's easier to do it for older titles. And Rev 2 is still relatively recent so I guess they don't want to give any boost to Xrd when Strive is around the corner. That's my theory anyway hahaha

I believe that for SFVI Capcom will add a proper netcode. Same for Tekken/Soul Calibur, though I haven't played Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur VI. (I'm planning to buy Tekken 7 eventually anyways, specially if they add Kiryu, that would be sick haha)

As for playing some matches, sure, tho I'm very bad at Accent Core. I have more experience with Xrd, not like I'm a pro with Revelator, but at least I'm more familiar with Rev in comparison to Accent Core. I guess that it doesn't help that I haven't played both games in a while :(

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Yeah. Thing is I'm not sure if they would add rollback for Rev 2. I imagine it's easier to do it for older titles. And Rev 2 is still relatively recent so I guess they don't want to give any boost to Xrd when Strive is around the corner. That's my theory anyway hahaha

I believe that for SFVI Capcom will add a proper netcode. Same for Tekken/Soul Calibur, though I haven't played Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur VI. (I'm planning to buy Tekken 7 eventually anyways, specially if they add Kiryu, that would be sick haha)

As for playing some matches, sure, tho I'm very bad at Accent Core. I have more experience with Xrd, not like I'm a pro with Revelator, but at least I'm more familiar with Rev in comparison to Accent Core. I guess that it doesn't help that I haven't played both games in a while :(
Yeah, if they're ever adding rollback to Rev2, it's going to be a few years after Strive gets a steady footing and loyal scene. Adding Rollback to Rev2 right now would just negatively impact the sales of Strive. They could also add Rollback to X2 #Reload after GGACPR. Because believe it or not, that game still gets played quite often to this day. But you know what would be miles better? Dragon Ball FighterZ or Uniclr finally having Rollback!

If they're not going to add rollback to SFVI, whenever that even may be, then I've lost all my faith for Capcom. These guys have had a clear dominance over Fighting Games for decades now, it's just a bad look at this point. Tekken 7 right now uses a delay-based netcode, but the team has stated that they're going to add Rollback to the game and has even tested it with select players. I don't follow Tekken 7 that much because I really suck at 3D fighting games and I don't really have the time to learn something brand new right now. I did pick it up on Steam during a sale because the rumors of Kiryu joining made me really hyped lmao. Even if he doesn't end up in the game, I'll still try to learn how the game plays when I have the time.

Accent Core may seem really complicated, but honestly, once you understand all the mechanics (especially FRCs, which isn't even a thing in Xrd) it becomes a breeze. There are a lot of resources online teaching you how the game works. Now I hope you don't mind, SNEK, but I'll be listing some resources that might be helpful for the people that are interested to learn this game:
  • First off, a Character Select Guide. This is a great overview to check who might be the character you want to start out with. GGACPR is a really well-balanced game, so please don't choose a character based on their position in the tier-list lmao.
  • Dustloop, which you've probably already used for Rev2, is amazing for learning combos, Frame-data, pros and cons of specific characters and the likes. The moderators of the sites are also updating tons of stuff on GGACPR side of things now that it's getting rollback, which is amazing!
  • There are also tons of amazing videos online, this one specifically has seriously helped me when I started out. The Guilty Bits series on YouTube is also very helpful for character-related info.
  • There's also the GGACPR Discord that's been really active lately due to the Rollback news, they've gotten over 500 new members since 2 days ago! I've recently joined it and it's honestly a great way to get matches.

So don't feel intimidated, there's always enough info on the net for catching up. It's been a long time that I've played the game as well, so I'm playing a bit of catch-up on my part as well.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, I was going to do a full write-up thing once all the Xrd scenes got uploaded to Youtube, but this needs to be answered NOW:

Is the cursed pudding thing canon?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Look guys, we're finally getting a Blazblue-Guilty Gear crossover! Erm, sort of...

D

Deleted member

If Sol was added in Smash, what Arc System character not from Guilty Gear and Blazblue would work as an Assist Trophy?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
A new ArcSys game just got revealed named "DNF DUEL". It's based on the Dungeon Fighter Online game.
Honestly a very out-of-left-field pick for me, I got so confused the first few times I watched the trailer. I don't really have a history with Dungeon Fighter Online, but I know it's a very popular game in South-Korea. It's one of the most successful online games so I guess it makes sense in hindsight.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A new ArcSys game just got revealed named "DNF DUEL". It's based on the Dungeon Fighter Online game.
Honestly a very out-of-left-field pick for me, I got so confused the first few times I watched the trailer. I don't really have a history with Dungeon Fighter Online, but I know it's a very popular game in South-Korea. It's one of the most successful online games so I guess it makes sense in hindsight.
Will I need to know anything about Dungeon Fighter Online? Because I know nothing about Dungeon Fighter Online.

Also, My Hero Academia fighting game by Arc System when?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
It's crazy how many games ArcSys is working on currently. They just finished up DBFZ's Season 3, they're still working on Granblue Fantasy: Versus' DLC, Strive is still in development and now they just revealed they're working on an entirely new game. ArcSys has grown a lot the last few years.

Give me a Bobobo fighting game, ArcSys.
Even though I hoped for either a One Piece or JoJo ArcSys game initially, this would totally be amazing as well lmfao. The roster would be absolutely crazy.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Talking about ArcSys' efforts, Anji's trailer will drop in around 3 days. His trailer will in fact be premiering on YouTube.

Anji's new design sure is looking good! I wonder if he'll be as good as he is in ACPR, I guess we'll have to see. Also there's a chance that the mysterious fighter #15 will get revealed alongside him as well, so you better don't miss it!

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Talking about ArcSys' efforts, Anji's trailer will drop in around 3 days. His trailer will in fact be premiering on YouTube.

Anji's new design sure is looking good! I wonder if he'll be as good as he is in ACPR, I guess we'll have to see. Also there's a chance that the mysterious fighter #15 will get revealed alongside him as well, so you better don't miss it!
from what i can see, he's still an hunk.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
So we only got an Anji trailer it seems, with the next character being revealed in February (and hopefully with some more info on that beta).

And uhhh... All I'll say about that trailer is... uhh

300px-GGAC_Anji_Fuujin.png

oh no..

315px-GGAC_Anji_****su.png

oh no..
and he even has his amazing jab back

He's a top tier again, make way for the king.

On a more serious note though, Happy New Year everyone. Make the best of it and keep rocking.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, Anji seems similar to his XX version. I was expecting info about the beta with Anji's trailer, but I guess that will arrive with the last character.

About who could be the last character, I'm either thinking a GG XX character returning or a new character. Probably a character who already exists in GG universe but makign his/her debut as playable. I'm leaning towards the second option to be honest, I'd be surprised if we don't get playable That Man or playable Ariels during Strive considering they're important in the story.

Also, Happy New Year everyone!

SNEKeater

Smash Master

New video talking about the different modes the game will feature, including the online ones.

The narrator of the video is so... particular lol.

The way they talk about the story feels like this is the conclusion for the story.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

New video talking about the different modes the game will feature, including the online ones.

The narrator of the video is so... particular lol.

The way they talk about the story feels like this is the conclusion for the story.
The way that narrator talks makes it sound like he's parodying other game narrators... I like it.
I feel a bit conflicted on the online lobby however, both the HUD (that mostly seems to be fixed now) and the lobbies were my biggest gripes with the game at the time of the beta. I guess I'll have to wait for that next beta to try it out again. The customization seems neat though I guess.

They really seem to hype up the story a lot, there's been an insane focus on it, with them releasing the cutscenes from Xrd online so everyone could catch up along with those manga on their site. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some huge revelation within it. It's a big factor on why I think that the last character that will be revealed will heavily tie into the story.

But hey, I guess we'll just have to wait till February to know. I can't wait!

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The way that narrator talks make it sound like he's parodying other game narrators... I like it.
I feel a bit conflicted on the online lobby however, both the HUD (that mostly seems to be fixed now) and the lobbies were my biggest gripes with the game at the time of the beta. I guess I'll have to wait for that next beta to try it out again. The customization seems neat though I guess.

They really seem to hype up the story a lot, there's been an insane focus on it, with them releasing the cutscenes from Xrd online so everyone could catch up along with those mangas on their site. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some huge revelation within it. It's a big factor on why I think that the last character that will be revealed will heavily tie into the story.

But hey, I guess we'll just have to wait till February to know. I can't wait!
Yeah maybe they improved it but the lobby UI and all wasn't well received back then... So I don't know.

About the story, yep. I feel the last character will be either That Man or Ariels. Probably the first one.

By the way they're using the same rollback netcode they used for Accent Core on Steam.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wow, if this means they finally make That Man playable...

This is a crazy exciting trailer. Story-wise I'm super excited for all the additions and for seemingly Sol's last chapter. And I like the new additions to the online mode since you can just search for matches in training or on the main screen.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Yeah maybe they improved it but the lobby UI and all wasn't well received back then... So I don't know.

About the story, yep. I feel the last character will be either That Man or Ariels. Probably the first one.

By the way they're using the same rollback netcode they used for Accent Core on Steam.
Yeah, I read about it. The rollback in +R is so amazing it actually feels like you're playing offline, they did a phenomenal job with that one . So I'm really glad It's the same. Man, Strive seems to be delivering on a lot of things, It's genuinely amazing to see.

Also either That Man or Ariels are my best bets as well. As for the other classic characters that seemed to have missed the train, they'll probably get reserved for DLC. Especially both Baiken and Bridget, they're perfect Season Pass sellers lmfao.

Top Bottom