• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Softbans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
In Japan, the Street Fighter character Akuma is softbanned, as well as the character "Old Sagat" to a lesser extent. So far, it is believed that softbans do not exist in America, as we choose to exploit everything to it's fullest potential.

Is that a true statement, though?

Although one thinks of MK, a character which many Brawl players frown upon as a choice of main, he really isn't softbanned. He may become softbanned or remain the same depending on community sentiment.

HOWEVER, Pit seems like an unofficially softbanned Brawl character. The people who play Pit are often frowned upon for choosing such a spammy character. While still more popular in tournaments than Pokemon Trainer, many players dislike when Pit appears in tournament play, calling his moves "spammy," "campy," and among the lesser players, "cheap."

Do americans "softban" characters, and for what reasons? Is Pit unofficially softbanned, and/or are there other somewhat softbanned characters?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I actually designed a handicap control scheme for Pit. The control scheme has Special not assigned to any button, so it prevents usage of any B moves, period. This reduces Pit playing to melee warfare, but it does prevent arrow spamming.

This might work for Meta Knight too, especially since he has 6 jumps and gliding still, but it's quite possible Meta Knight is still broken with just A attacks anyway.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I actually designed a handicap control scheme for Pit. The control scheme has Special not assigned to any button, so it prevents usage of any B moves, period. This reduces Pit playing to melee warfare, but it does prevent arrow spamming.

This might work for Meta Knight too, especially since he has 6 jumps and gliding still, but it's quite possible Meta Knight is still broken with just A attacks anyway.
This isn't a good idea. First, Pit isn't good enough to be viable without B moves, and second; any form of handicap is unwise for any character (even MK) because it adds artificial rules to the game that aren't necesary and confuse gameplay. I'd want MK banned before I'd want to see him in tournaments with half a moveset, frankly.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
HOWEVER, Pit seems like an unofficially softbanned Brawl character. The people who play Pit are often frowned upon for choosing such a spammy character. While still more popular in tournaments than Pokemon Trainer, many players dislike when Pit appears in tournament play, calling his moves "spammy," "campy," and among the lesser players, "cheap."

Do americans "softban" characters, and for what reasons? Is Pit unofficially softbanned, and/or are there other somewhat softbanned characters?
Thats like saying Falco was softbanned in Melee.
OH NOES! O_O I brought up Melee!
( here come the arguments)

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a good idea. First, Pit isn't good enough to be viable without B moves, and second; any form of handicap is unwise for any character (even MK) because it adds artificial rules to the game that aren't necesary and confuse gameplay. I'd want MK banned before I'd want to see him in tournaments with half a moveset, frankly.
Yeah, well, the arrows shouldn't be causing early flinching. And the only other B move Pit has to deal damage is his side B which can be punished if evaded. The Wings? Pit's recovery is still decent, 4 jumps and gliding.

How is Pit not viable without B moves? He's workable in melee warfare, even if he can't kill easily.

And as for Meta Knight, like I said, he may still be broken with just A attacks anyway. If he deserves to be banned for that, he deserves to be banned, period.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
I believe softban is when a community agrees not to play a certain character, and if you do, you are frowned upon.........

:laugh:

Stupidest **** I've ever heard of.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
While still more popular in tournaments than Pokemon Trainer, many players dislike when Pit appears in tournament play, calling his moves "spammy," "campy," and among the lesser players, "cheap."
I don't quite know what you are trying to say about PT but either way you are WRONG. First of no one uses PT in tournys. The only PT win in a tourny was by Reflex and he used Wario half the time. Also, we can't spam anything camp or be cheap! We are low tier!

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Ah, so that's kind of psychological hmm? I can see people hating Pit. I certainly do ever I faced one on wifi he kept owning me by taking me to FD everytime, spamming arrows, untill i try to get close, then angel ring. That's about it. I can kind of see MK like that as well, but I don't think Snake would be like that. Snake takes some skill to play. (right?)

People who main Marth and Lucario are the coolest.:chuckle:

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
what is the difference between a softban and a hardban? im kind of new at this

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
what is the difference between a softban and a hardban? im kind of new at this
Softbanned characters would be allowed, though don't expect to be popular and/or having any special privileges if you do.

I would softban Meta Knight if anybody, and Pit w/ B moves too.

Corigames

Smash Hero
And recovery. And the reflector.

People don't complain about Pit that much >_> You don't have to do something like that for it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Uh why not just apply B sticking (or whatever its called) to Pit?
I know you can do B moves with it, but its harder at least.
Well idk. =/
Actually that would be sorta bad. Everyone loves their C-stick.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Wow... this is what happens when you lock the official ban MK thread... although, it's a little more than banning Mk, more like an eduction on banning in general...

Softban is an agreement where top players agree not to use a certain character. That's not to say he can't be chosen. Japan can do that because they have more 'honor" than Americans. lol
Hardban is a rule, you can't use this character. This is what Americans need because there's no honor amongst theives. Either that, or American competitive players don't like being scrubs.

No character in Brawl needs to be banned. Especially not Pit...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Pit? ROFL, as for the character everyone else is thinking about:

MK is fine for the time being. He is not winning or filling the top 3 spots at every tournament, Fox/Falco were worse at some points in Melee.

These threads can be made much further down the road (were talking sometimes in 2009, at the earliest), not 6 months after the game is released when people are still doing new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom