• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

The Star King

Smash Hero
The treatment of Sangoku demonstrated otherwise.
We also want to avoid a Sangoku situation, where someone has to enforce rules, but is instead abused by the community.
What are you talking about? You're just reinforcing people's point about being out of touch. Maybe you got the wrong idea from Sangoku's ragequit, but it was because he was sick of us basically rioting in the Hitler pic incident and others, not because he was "harassed". People didn't do such a thing with the possible exception of Stranded for a bit like two years ago or something, and that had long died out by the time Sangoku left. We only did that to people like you and Aerodrome because of your ****ty uninformed modding that was pretty much unanimously disliked. In fact, the Hitler pic incident that caused him to leave was caused by, guess what, AN OUTSIDER MOD, so rofl

The fact that someone as innocuous as Shears was somehow banned sums up how clueless you guys are and why we need a mod who actually knows the community.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Regards to the unexplained bannings and how sudden it was, it was an accumulation of obvious violations to the Global Rules. Every section is to abide to these standards regardless of the forum/section culture. We aren't talking about violations within a short period of time but rather a longer span of time. Basically, you break the rules, you get punished as this is Smashboards policy. If these rules are continuously broken without any sort of effort to correct it, then that user faces a roomban. Every section is held to this standard; regardless who the user is and if that section decreases in activity as a result, it's that communities opportunity to try and increase activity by bringing in new members and fostering a community that's at least marginally accepting.

In short, rules were broken, attempts to correct said behavior proved fruitless, violations continued, so roomban. If the staff was to sit idly by ignoring violations that is clearly written out in the ToS while strictly enforcing them elsewhere is entirely against what the staff represents. As well, we would be failing at our positions if we just waited until **** hit the fan and then acted.

As for a potentisl Smash 64 mod, from my own opinion and unrelated to that of the staffs, I would love to see a SSB64 member modded but only if that member is able to and agrees with the standards put forth by the Global Rules. I Know people will disagree with me/call me out but as someone who has been lurking here for some time; I felt I needed to represent and explain.

And for those who has no idea who the **** I am...Nice to meet you. I'm Venus and this is my first time posting in the SSB64 section. Happy Mew New Years. I hope everyone is enjoying it and having a good time. I'm having a New Years day lunch with my wife's family and fairly drunk on Whisky.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
The community isn't going to drop dead because a few people got banned.
Yes it goddamned is. About 60% of the buzz around the community came from them, why do you want to ****ing kill the boards so much?

I understand why you banned them, but look at the REAL problem maker rather than banning everyone (As everyone has been already saying)

caneut

Smash Ace
can i pls be mod of 64 section

i play 64

i will prove myself

i will fix boards

vote me

happy new year

lol

caneut

Smash Ace
Regards to the unexplained bannings and how sudden it was, it was an accumulation of obvious violations to the Global Rules. Every section is to abide to these standards regardless of the forum/section culture. We aren't talking about violations within a short period of time but rather a longer span of time. Basically, you break the rules, you get punished as this is Smashboards policy. If these rules are continuously broken without any sort of effort to correct it, then that user faces a roomban. Every section is held to this standard; regardless who the user is and if that section decreases in activity as a result, it's that communities opportunity to try and increase activity by bringing in new members and fostering a community that's at least marginally accepting.

In short, rules were broken, attempts to correct said behavior proved fruitless, violations continued, so roomban. If the staff was to sit idly by ignoring violations that is clearly written out in the ToS while strictly enforcing them elsewhere is entirely against what the staff represents. As well, we would be failing at our positions if we just waited until **** hit the fan and then acted.

As for a potentisl Smash 64 mod, from my own opinion and unrelated to that of the staffs, I would love to see a SSB64 member modded but only if that member is able to and agrees with the standards put forth by the Global Rules. I Know people will disagree with me/call me out but as someone who has been lurking here for some time; I felt I needed to represent and explain.

And for those who has no idea who the **** I am...Nice to meet you. I'm Venus and this is my first time making a lengthy post in the SSB64 section. Happy Mew New Years.
just mod me and see how i do, give me a test

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes it goddamned is. About 60% of the buzz around the community came from them, why do you want to ****ing kill the boards so much?

I understand why you banned them, but look at the REAL problem maker rather than banning everyone (As everyone has been already saying)
Killing the boards is exactly the opposite of what we want to do but the state of this section has been unwelcoming and fairly toxic; especially in this thread. It might seem like we are being a buzzkill but Jewish, Nazi, racist, and other inappropriate jokes are taken seriously by the staff and grounds for appropriate punishment for these sort of actions outside of repeated infractions.

And as always, you can bring your case to the Forum Support and explain what you think is good for the section as this is the SSB64 community in which you are all apart of.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Killing the boards is exactly the opposite of what we want to do but the state of this section has been unwelcoming and fairly toxic; especially in this thread. It might seem like we are being a buzzkill but Jewish, Nazi, racist, and other inappropriate jokes are taken seriously by the staff and grounds for appropriate punishment for these sort of actions outside of repeated infractions.

And as always, you can bring your case to the Forum Support and explain what you think is good for the section as this is the SSB64 community in which you are all apart of.

Could you be so kind enough to present these example of Shears, Gav, Cobr, and Karajan being toxic?
That way people like me could better understand what happened.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Also, I think its much more than that. Is it because of the situation between Rob and Studstill? Because people like caneut post those kinds of inappropriate jokes but were not room banned.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
blah blah blah
Firstly who are you wtf lol

Secondly, I don't post here often anymore partially because the community has become toxic, but that's natural without a mod. This is a stupid stalemate, of everyone here being slightly more unruly than they need to be, and dumb mods/admins acting contrarian for no reason, rather than attempting to be the bigger person and put a 64 mod in charge. Just put asianaussie in charge, he's been a mod of other forum without getting high on "power", and is smart enough to stay out of dumb drama. Also, if he gets "abused" like SanGoku - which never happened - the kid had a hissy fit for people not following rules (but otherwise good at his job), he'll just say something about rubber and glue and not give a damn.

I just came back from seeing the latest Hunger Games, and can't help but compare strikingly similar events. President Snow gathered everyone up who he didn't like and had them shot. Mods gathered up everyone they don't like and banned them. All for the "greater good".

My *** is numb
Get help

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Firstly who are you wtf lol
And for those who has no idea who the **** I am...Nice to meet you. I'm Venus and this is my first time posting in the SSB64 section. Happy Mew New Years. I hope everyone is enjoying it and having a good time. I'm having a New Years day lunch with my wife's family and fairly drunk on Whisky.
~GOSH~

Morin0

Smash Lord
Venus is a cool guy.

I don't think a roomban was the appropriate way to go about it. For example, Cobr and Studstill, as well as nova, should have been given an ultimatum. Ignore each other to not see each other's posts or get roombanned. Shears was banned for no reason lol, so just bring him back. (Unless you are referring to his constant attitude towards Mic about the Hitler thing; that's just him joking around, and should have been dealt with differently.) Karajan? Uhh.. he's not a bad person, but he's not afraid to let his mind be heard, so he lashed out on the mods when the whole Hitler debacle came about. Karajan shouldn't be banned in my opinion. Honestly, nobody should be banned right now. Infractions? Sure, I guess. Cobr is not a bad person either. IDK. It just goes back to being a member of the community and understanding the nuances and inside jokes of the community. For example, are you going to ban Bane for saying "**** mint" in the 64 boards when it's an inside joke? But I guess I understand that this sort of behavior can be intimidating for new members, but honestly, the new people that I've seen post here have been treated with nothing but nice behavior by regular members of this board.

Towards the end of Sangoku's disappearance, Sangoku was already showing disinterest in the game anyway; I guess the joking around in this community got to him in a personal level. I don't think anyone genuinely disliked Sangoku, but there were only a few key people that messed around with him.

The only roomban that I approve of is Smasherx74.

HI, CIAZA. Happy Near Year. :secretkpop:

EDIT: One thing I do agree with is this dumb hatred for anything other than 64. (e.g., giving Aerodrome or other mods **** for playing Brawl or something like that.) I really hope that people are joking when they are like that.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Could you be so kind enough to present these example of Shears, Gav, Cobr, and Karajan being toxic?

Is nobody going to answer my ****ing question?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Is nobody going to answer my ****ing question?
Sorry buddy, I meant to reply to it but irl johns.

Also, I think its much more than that. Is it because of the situation between Rob and Studstill?
I'm pretty sure this was one of the main reasons for Cobr, Nova and Studstill. Also it's interesting that it seems whoever I talk to from the 64 boards all have different opinions on which ones should be roombanned.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry, I'm at a New Years day family party and was playing with my niece.

There were a number of reasons ranging from flaming, trolling, spamming, or past outstanding violations that contributed to the roombans. The toxic atmosphere was not solely associated to the members banned but the general atmosphere of this section and was encouraged rather than discouraged. As for identifying as to why each member was banned and explaining why, that topic of discussion is much more appropriate for Forum Support and/or PMs. And I'm not saying that to avoid the answers but in part due to me not being able to fully answer those questions as well as staff related questions and criticisms are generally directed to Forum Support.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
tl;dr - there's a reason (you are allowed to talk about) is added to this thread's title.

As a lurker here since both this thread's (and this section to a lesser extent) beginnings, I see where people are coming from with the bit about nuances/inside jokes and outsiders/those unfamiliar with the sections not getting them, and thus potentially (over) reacting about them in a way seen as unnecessary/excessive by the regulars here. What most fail to realize is that rules are still rules, and that even if people got away with it in the past, that doesn't exempt the type of behavior the select users displayed/continue to display (x amount of alt accounts kinda confirmed certain ones were long overdue). It's really unfortunate it came down to the way it did, but it's definitely better than having the entire section shut down because of the actions of a select few (we can't have nice things).

As both Aero/Venus and many before them have been saying, any concerns/questions/disputes with this can be taken to Forum Support (where you're much more likely to get a better/definitive answer/response on the matter) or PMs.

Anyway happy Thanksgiving. I'm gonna go pass out until 2016.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Venus is a cool guy.
Alright if you say so.

HI, CIAZA. Happy Near Year. :secretkpop:
HI NEAR! Happy New Year and Christmas. Hope you got good stuff.

I still despise the mentality of "rules be rules guys nothing you can do". Rules are designed for a purpose of greater good. Sometimes you need to be super harsh with them. Other times you need be more lenient. In this case, a small community of people who know everyone else, you can afford to be a little lax. You can afford not to insta-ban anyone who posts a picture of hitler, because we all know it's a joke and no one actually cares here. I can see that some people are getting out of hand, but insta-banning important members of a small community is going to cause a rift, especially if it's done by people who don't give a **** about this game or the community.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Speaking personally from me, I care about the game and this community though this can also be said to the other games as well. I might be an outsider but I still appreciate, respect, and admire the community. Especially given how fans have moved to the newer games.l yet you guys stick to SSB64. In fact, I view that trying to get this section to be more in line with the Smashboards Global Rules as opposed to its own rogue corner at the Smashboards Dinner Party to be the opposite of not giving any ****s. I hope that makes sense.

And as it was said earlier,
The room-banned users can come back; but it is in their hands to do so.

Last edited:

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the people who said give the banned users an ultimatum, either lower their toxicity to acceptable levels or permantantly wander the abyss. The mods have shown their power and it is immense, and i think it showed the banned peoples that change is necassary, and i truly believe the individuals who actually care about the community at large, in the face of this ultimatum will change. Thanks and happy new years.

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
they should all start spamming brawl and brawl2.0 and hitler boards.
Very clever.

I could :) .
You win. lol

I'll be a moderator and you guys can take bets on how quickly I abuse the power
XD

I agree with Star King and Sedda though. Were gonna need a mod who actually knows the community if you want the rules to work for the greater good. From the looks it, things might have gotten worse because you just did't "know" . Hence why you banned people who contribute a lot to the community.

What most fail to realize is that rules are still rules, and that even if people got away with it in the past, that doesn't exempt the type of behavior the select users displayed/continue to display (x amount of alt accounts kinda confirmed certain ones were long overdue).
When Bobby runs 90% of tournaments in a country it's a different situation. It's kinda hard to discuss those tournaments here now.
I understand but still see it as a bad move.

Reason? Lack of info on the community? Maybe, idk.

With that, I would like to express my interest on be MOD, my Résumé
1. I'm a Keyboard player.
2. I don't like hitler( sometimes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ).

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion

tbh it's not hard too find where these guys have gone on their rampage xD, but you can just as easily find the source of each argument. More often than not, it's been the same person this last year. That's what upsets me.

Pardon the extreme example, but this is like killing everyone in a town because one of them has ebola. You're supposed to isolate the problem and deal with it directly to see if the situation can be improved or if it's a lost cause.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, so my two cents might not mean ****, but as a new member of this community I feel like I can give a perspective on this topic.

First off, about the community being toxic..... I haven't seen it. Honestly I've been greeted with nothing but kindness and acceptance from everyone on these boards, quick responses to my noob questions and just all around friendly attitudes, mostly from the exact people who were banned. It's definitely hard to just jump in to a new community anywhere and start posting but this has honestly been the most accommodating group of individuals I've seen.

Secondly about what was actually said to get banned. Now I haven't scoured every page of every topic on these boards looking for anything that might be inappropriate or insulting, but everything that i have seen clearly seems intended on being a joke. I know subtle things like sarcasm or intent can be a little difficult to pick up on over the internet rather than actual social interactions, but coming in as an outsider (myself or mods) you have to realize that this is going to be established prior to you showing up and contributing yourself. Obviously if something is truly out of spite or anger it's uncalled for and the poster should be reprimanded, but off color jokes, or comments about "sensitive" issues…. come on I'd have to say most of us are in our 20s-30s, we're not infants we should know whats genuinely offensive and what isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Thirdly the only thing on here I saw and thought a moderator should step in was the beef between studstill and cobr. Now I'm not fully aware of the history there, who's at fault, who's wrong, who's an asshole, whatever…. and quite frankly I don't care. What I do know is their problems should more than likely been handled in a private personal matter, and if it couldn't be resolved then just simply ignore one another to the best of your abilities. As a mod I feel like seeing their escalating public confrontations should have been addressed privately in an ultimatum given to both saying something along the lines of "knock your **** off or you're both going to get banned"…. or something slightly more professional, but you get my point. Also what I do know is that both of those individuals contribute greatly to the overall health of this community. Banning both of them only really does two things; 1 makes both of them even more pissed off and likely to not return to the boards in any fashion; 2 basically shuts down all the projects they were a part of outside of the boards and therefore hurts the overall health of the 64 community.

Fourth and lastly when it comes to moderating the boards, let it be known I know nothing of moderating, I know nothing about what their responsibilities are, or what their qualifications should be…. that being said here again is my useless two cents. Having someone from our community help mod the boards only seems to make sense. I don't know a damn thing about football so I think it's safe to say I would be a poor moderator on a football website. You can't moderate something you're not invested in. Saying that you all feel no one is qualified from our community to regulate the boards is simply a copout. If two candidates for president are both garbage and the whole country feels that way, we don't go without a president. One still gets picked. Pick someone from the boards to mod our section, let them try for a month or two. If it works out, it works out, if not then you can pick someone else until it does work out.

Anyway this was just my thoughts of the situation coming from a new member. I hope everyone had a happy new year, and I hope that this year can grow this community, and this issue can be resolved.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think the boards have been better lately. I was away for a long time this year(around 7 months) and when I came back it was pretty hopless here. But I feel things have become less annoying around here. There are still some schmucks left, but Im positive for the new year. Hopefully the boards will be good once again.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom @ IsmaR IsmaR @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer
Hey can we get an updated character discussion room? Like all the other smash forums have pics of the characters to separate the discussions, but 64 is just a mess when you go there, I would do it my self and clean things up but I have no clue on how to do it even if I was a mod, thanks :)

mods are too lazy for this

Top Bottom