• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
yeah this is dumb and it was handled really badly.

no post was made or anything. if they actually selected a mod, they wouldnt have to go about it in this way
We have never made a post to announce that ______ was banned. It's like announcing at assembly that Bobby has been suspended.

Smashboards wouldn't give us a mod from our own section yet they somehow investigated several people with "surmountable evidence" that they should be banned?
It's because we couldn't find anyone who'd put up with the level of harassment that came from modding the room.

Ask the mods (as that will help) or file a complaint in forum support.
This. The people in question though were told that they can appeal their ban via a PM when they were banned, so they should know this.

Last edited:

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
We have never made a post to announce that ______ was banned. It's like announcing at assembly that Bobby has been suspended.
When Bobby runs 90% of tournaments in a country it's a different situation. It's kinda hard to discuss those tournaments here now.

But i suppose promoting the health of the ssb64 community and actually having smashboards be a useful place to talk about ssb64 are pretty far down the priority list anyway.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
When Bobby runs 90% of tournaments in a country it's a different situation. It's kinda hard to discuss those tournaments here now.

But i suppose promoting the health of the ssb64 community and actually having smashboards be a useful place to talk about ssb64 are pretty far down the priority list anyway.
who was banned???

Sedda

Smash Champion
what I meant was that it happened without notice. Nothing was going on here when they got banned, so it came out of nowhere. Although maybe I would agree that the sum of what all of those guys have done may justify a room ban, that's not the way to do it.

If we had our own moderator, they would probably understand that out of all the people who were banned, only one of them is a legitimate source of problems and arguments, but it's easier to just ban everyone who's made a few snarky comments here and there.

I'll say what bloodpeach said (kinda). The people who were banned are people who contribute a lot to this community.

I'd also like to say that there are a bunch of people who are still here and have similar behavior to the banned people, so it's hard for us to understand what the actual criteria is. Banning people in that manner is bound to cause more problems than viceversa and it's just another sign that points to this section needing a mod. That way it's easier for someone to handle these problems on a case by case basis.

While I'm at it, it's pretty obvious that you guys haven't actually tried to get a mod established around this section. Plenty of people here have expressed interest, have asked about it, etc, but nothing ever happens.

for example ^^^Madao would be a good mod, and out of everyone I actually believe that he's someone Sangoku would've backed up, but you wouldn't know that because you don't spend enough time in this section

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would recommend Madao for modding as well...or myself wut but Madao the most by far.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why was Shears of all people banned? What did he even do?

It's because we couldn't find anyone who'd put up with the level of harassment that came from modding the room.
People have not and would not harass mods from our own section.

I like how you still don't get it somehow. People here do not want foreign mods.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I'd like a list of all people who were recently room-blocked. It's kind of hard to tell, you know with the room ban/shadow ban and all.

It is:
Shears:, Studstill, Karajan (I think) , Cobr (I think),Gav , and Kero right?

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
AYY tho, where do we recommend for users to be mods? I think everyone here would vote for Madao. Who picks it and how?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Well I kinda messaged forum support and they said that there can't be a mod for 64 who doesn't seem to appreciate the rest of the communities. We need to make the forum good for not just the old crowd but the new people.

I'll quote the original post in due time. Also: wuts with all the Mic12-h8 in here wut.

Sedda

Smash Champion
eh I've already heard several stories of why there's no mod.

Even with what you just described, Madao would be a good fit.

I'm not banned so it's whatever

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Well I kinda messaged forum support and they said that there can't be a mod for 64 who doesn't seem to appreciate the rest of the communities.
thats dumb. why should that matter? they'd only be modding the 64 area. plus we could argue that these mods that have been pulling **** around here don't really appreciate the 64 community.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Removing the author for obvious reason (No it's not Mic/Aero.) Here's the response to my post.

]Thank you for the thought out and level-headed response. Unfortunately, importance to the community is not considered when making banning decisions in an effort to evaluate things through an unbiased lens. We've banned important community members before, from prominent players to tournament organizers. Essentially, it is on the user to respect the community by respecting the community resources. Smashboards does strive to be a community resource for all smashers; and in order to do that we do enforce the terms of service (which are actually very important in promoting our site for things like having better/less intrusive ads, etc...). Room bans don't have to be permanent, and they can be appealed just like indefinite bans in the terms of service. We don't want to have to make any bans permanent; but once banned the responsibility ultimately falls upon the user to prove that they will be more responsible and constructive on the boards. I do thank you for your recommendations though, and they will be considered. While sometimes the rhetoric used when moderating may seem harsh; in reality we'd like to have all smash communities be able to use our site constructively. What we want to encourage is for the Smash 64 community to present their section of the site in a manner that is attractive to new players and old players alike; and from an outside view we have gotten plenty of users comment to us about being interested but hesitant to use that section of the site due to the postings of the regular members there. If the community improves itself and abides by the terms of the service, without kneejerk retaliations to every small bit of rule enforcement; then things really would get better for the community and the site as a whole. The room-banned users can come back; but it is in their hands to do so.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's unfortunate that they were running some tournaments, but that doesn't mean they should be immune to their actions.

If anything, removing toxic members of the community would make it much more welcoming, allowing the room to become more welcoming to new members .

what I meant was that it happened without notice. Nothing was going on here when they got banned, so it came out of nowhere. Although maybe I would agree that the sum of what all of those guys have done may justify a room ban, that's not the way to do it.
They'd been breaking rules as recent as the day before their ban. Unless yo're suggesting we simply wait until another ****storm hits and then ban them (at which point, the room then complains about a knee-jerk response from the mods)

We had been looking into and discussing this for days before we went through it, and he people in question had received numerous warnings/bannings from their behaviour previously and hadn't stopped.

If we had our own moderator, they would probably understand that out of all the people who were banned, only one of them is a legitimate source of problems and arguments, but it's easier to just ban everyone who's made a few snarky comments here and there.
If we banned everyone who made snarky comments, there would have been more people banned. Again, this was discussed in the staffer shack with previous mods, as well as other staff who ha been keeping an eye in here in the meantime.

I'd also like to say that there are a bunch of people who are still here and have similar behaviour to the banned people
Similar, but not as extreme.

While I'm at it, it's pretty obvious that you guys haven't actually tried to get a mod established around this section. Plenty of people here have expressed interest, have asked about it, etc, but nothing ever happens.
We have been discussing mods. To be honest, a lot of the people who want to be mods are generally also those who are in the 'similar behaviour' category. Not all though, and we are still looking.

for example ^^^Madao would be a good mod, and out of everyone I actually believe that he's someone Sangoku would've backed up, but you wouldn't know that because you don't spend enough time in this section
That's exactly why we're discussing it in the shack and not just picking someone randomly. We also want to avoid a Sangoku situation, where someone has to enforce rules, but is instead abused by the community.

thats dumb. why should that matter? they'd only be modding the 64 area. plus we could argue that these mods that have been pulling **** around here don't really appreciate the 64 community.
Because we don't want people to see the 64 room as their own place, separate from the rest, and abuse anyone else who comes in from other areas. Forexample, the Project M hate displaye by some, the hate of moderators from outside this room, ect.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
With what was discussed regarding Apex, with thatI mean everyone in the PM forum complaining that Brawl and "even smash 64" were at Apex and not PM, you do understand a little bit of our complaints. I mean our issue with the other communities is their understanding of smash 64. It's either:

1. Hey this game is entirely giant combos, it's boring and slower than brawl for this reason.
2. Isai too good, no one else is as good, even if we post someone else doing something amazing, nope it's not Isai.

I'm not trying to hate on the other sections but what happens gets annoying. I mean I play all of the smash games to an extent and I have communicated with all of the communities.

Also, what happened with Sangoku was actually tragic. He was an excellent mod while he was here (probably the best along with Craiig.) Also, I don't remember Sangoku modding much outside of the 64 forum, almost all of his posts were in our forum.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
If anything, removing toxic members of the community would make it much more welcoming, allowing the room to become more welcoming to new members .
I like how you said room so we know that the health of the community at large isn't at all your concern.

But an empty room sure is welcoming!

Sedda

Smash Champion
Like I said, if we had our own mod, it would be pretty easy to pick out who is the person who starts the arguments and propagates the toxic behavior. Banning everyone is the easy solution.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Warning Received
Oyu guys are extreme

Last edited by a moderator:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The community isn't going to drop dead because a few people got banned.
If you haven't noticed the rest of our forum, it partially has. There was supposed to be a New Years event on VGBootCamp's stream but quite simply, not being able to post it that he was hosting didn't help. I haven't seen that many new posts recently.

Morin0

Smash Lord
iirc, posts making a reference to alcohol or being "drunk" is an infraction worthy offense. :troll:

This whole situation is silly. If we actually had a mod that was a part of the community, there would be no need to room ban a bunch of people instead of dealing with the source.

Banning Shears clearly shows how uninformed the admin/mod that made this ban is.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This whole situation is silly. If we actually had a mod that was a part of the community, there would be no need to room ban a bunch of people instead of dealing with the source.
The treatment of Sangoku demonstrated otherwise.

Top Bottom