• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

mixa

Banned via Warnings
how are they behind on the times, it's not like 64 and melee both walk on the same time line

64 x melee arguments are always dumb

(edit: and those commentators are bad)

Last edited:

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Some matchups in Melee are developed years beyond anything 64 has. Other matchups have probably never been played at a competitive level.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
well, for coming out 2 years later, you'd imagine that everything that can carry over from 64 would have been explored in depth and practiced over the years. that apparently is not the case. but why has it taken this long for them to start incorporating these different techs and stuff?

Sedda

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that shieldrops are difficult partly because of the spotdodge mechanic. honestly they have so many other things to worry about before shieldropping that it's not worth the effort a lot of the time. They're definitely not behind.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
well, for coming out 2 years later, you'd imagine that everything that can carry over from 64 would have been explored in depth and practiced over the years.
high level 2001 competitive 64 huh

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
lots of people played both in conjunction, especially in the few years after melee's release, yeah? in any case, i'm pretty sure things like shield drops and the like have been known about for a long time, in BOTH games, and yet only employed in one, and only recently coming into play in the other (to, apparently, positive effect).

i mean, i remember reading the ken combo was modeled after a falcon combo...so there must've been some carry over and high level play in the very early days, and yet nobody took these things and ran with them. it's curious.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I doubt they saw the potential that shieldropping had in 2003 when things were getting started. There were players who couldn't even wavedash consistently back then, and that's a much more important movement option to focus on. Apparently chillindude couldn't even short hop consistently when he beat Ken.

The only player who uses shieldropping to a huge extent in Melee is Axe, but Pika needs all the help he can get. He still hasn't taken any wins though, so there you go. Armada is the only top guy shieldropping sometimes, but it's just not NEEDED 100% of the time. It's looked at as an optimization more than anything else. Everyone will start adapting it eventually, but they have a billion other techs to worry about.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Obviously aMSa shield-drops like no tomorrow as well. Yoshi literally can do nothing else. 1 frame pivots are hard to do, too. Especially since you can just wavedash to whatever and it's much easier and probably better like 90% of the time.

64's taunt game is way stronger though.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
this mlg had pika vs puff, and it was 10x more entertaining than the 64 pika vs puff

melee's pokémon game is way stronger

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Well melee took a while to develop. You can see a clear difference between 06/07/08 gameplay (the old MLG era/the golden age) and the current "platinum" age.

People added sour-spots very recently in mid combos, as can be seen with PPU/PPMD's Marth combos or M2K's sheik.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
People added sour-spots very recently in mid combos, as can be seen with PPU/PPMD's Marth combos or M2K's sheik
yeah, this one... not much I can say except they were behind. weak reverse bairs is the bread and butter of 64 fox. def could've picked up on that earlier

kys

Smash Ace
I lol'd whenever there was a weak aerial that linked into something else and the commentators went nuts.

And then Wife starts talking about the weak aerials being the next evolution of the metagame.

WUT? GJ Melee

mixa

Banned via Warnings
There should be no general answer.
idk maaan

aa's post is pretty damn accurate

i just saw the most hilarious vlog. from chu dat chronicles to the chu dat vlogs, that guy is just too amusing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jW7BouRkgs&t=5m10s

"we need to look presentable and not geeky, guys. wear some contacts... why do so many of you wear glasses??" roflmao

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
what i wish 64 had from melee: shield DI, the ability to fall straight through plats while not in a helpless state, samus everything but mostly retaining second jump with bombs/using the bombs to recover in better ways

what i think is stupid in melee: invincibility off the ledgehop, tech/cancel windows being extremely tiny, DI in general and living til 110+ fairly often

what i'd experiment with in 64 before i made a judgment: fastfall during aerials, side b's, probably other ish

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hello. I should have SSB64 set up and ready for online play. Where is the best place to find matches, preferably Europeans?

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
1) Melee has horrible camera mechanics. In 1v1 it tends to center on a character instead of in between them. Since it centers on the character still on the stage, it makes it difficult to see your characters position relative to the ledge if you are off the stage (the pokemon level is the worst instance). It also does a bad job of zooming in general. A camera with bad angles, bad zoom level, and bad positioning ruins any game for me. The only instance in 64 where this could happen is if a ness is recovering and the other player can run to the other side of the stage, but even in this instance the ness player can still see the pk thingy in most cases.

2nd dumbest thing is wobbling

3rd dumbest thing is crouch canceling

4th worst part about melee is that it is on gamecube and the controller command protocol is unnecessarily complicated and not documented anywhere at all except for my own private notes

General opinion that 64 players have is that every smash game gets worse. Though a lot of US players will tell you that U > J
J is best
U is 2nd best
E starts to get bad (mostly because 50 fps)
M is bad
B is worse
"4" ... hmm i wonder

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I personally like melee a lot, but I am more of a PM/64 person. Brawl is slow and more top tier centered than 64 at comp levels and I prefer being aggro and being aggro in brawl is a 1 way ticket to getting last place.

I prefer 64 for the community/balance, melee for the speed, no reason for brawl, and Project M for the combination of the speed from melee and the balance from 64.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I've never noticed the camera thing, but I think you explained it pretty well I can relate.

I've heard the term Crouch Canceling thrown around with SSB64. Does this have anything to do with Melee CC or is this a totally different thing or is there no such thing at all?

Why do you prefer J instead of U? I usually play U simply because after I tried it I couldn't deal with E crap FPS anymore.

Top Bottom