• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
According to google translate the thing you say before you play is thank you.
And ds is thank you, thank you AGAIN!

So polite, are you sure that wasn't what you say on a canadian server?

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
what does this actually mean?
It's a standard Japanese politeness phrase that doesn't translate very well. Here it's being used to acknowledge another individual using their time and energy to take part in an undertaking with you. You can think of if as an equivalent to "good games" except you're saying it before the match instead of after.

Japanese culture is pretty big on politeness standards, especially between strangers, so it's best to follow these basic kinds of rules if you don't want to give a bad impression of yourself.

Morin0

Smash Lord
よろしくおねがいします literally translates to "please take care of me" lol. But it's used to say nice to meet you/introduce yourself. For example, if you're meeting someone for the first time, you would say that to introduce yourself. It makes sense why you would say that before you start playing, but I think Kefit is right as well.

A long time ago, back when I was a n00b in Japanese, I said good evening because I saw someone else say it, but at that time it wasn't even the evening for them, and the guy was confused as to why I said good evening, lol.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
According to google translate the thing you say before you play is thank you.
And ds is thank you, thank you AGAIN!

So polite, are you sure that wasn't what you say on a canadian server?
Your stereotype of Canadians is pretty far off the mark. Try watching trailer park boys or go out to eat with boomfan

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The fact that Jousuke keeps winning 150 person best one of tourneys every year with Samus is mind boggling.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
I wish I understood Japanese solely to understand that commentary... he makes the crowd laugh a lot and he makes it super hype... really awesome

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
could anyone tell me who the players are in those videos isai posted? i figured that the samus/kirby is jousuke/kikoushi, but i wonder who else is playing

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
could anyone tell me who the players are in those videos isai posted? i figured that the samus/kirby is jousuke/kikoushi, but i wonder who else is playing
You can use google translate to see how the names are pronounced and what they mean

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
"Su ma ra sleeve 7th Kanto meeting your son VS 2012, husband to help win the Second World War co-pilot"

that sounds extremely racist and, in all likelihood, wrong.

edit: apparently it was in chinese. now it is showing up as nobleman vs length assistant.

these japanese players have incredible names. LENGTH ASSISTANT.

edit 2: why do i ALWAYS have to play against the ****ing wac, ass aliases? some dude just wrecked me with link on FD and then said "did you know i'm one of the best smash players on kaillera?" like, i don't care if you are or if you aren't, i just want to play, but i don't want to play against people who hide their identity for no reason other than kicks.

Sedda

Smash Champion
"Su ma ra sleeve 7th Kanto meeting your son VS 2012, husband to help win the Second World War co-pilot"

that sounds extremely racist and, in all likelihood, wrong.

edit: apparently it was in chinese. now it is showing up as nobleman vs length assistant.

these japanese players have incredible names. LENGTH ASSISTANT.

edit 2: why do i ALWAYS have to play against the ****ing wac, *** aliases? some dude just wrecked me with link on FD and then said "did you know i'm one of the best smash players on kaillera?" like, i don't care if you are or if you aren't, i just want to play, but i don't want to play against people who hide their identity for no reason other than kicks.
This happens to me all the time! I'm starting to unravel the dark secrets of Kailera.. Some guy called me a *** for winning with Fox grabs against his Yoshi and told me I needed to play more "like a man" lol.

It's also always my fellow hispanics, at least with me. wtf people

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
now i know why people only used to play Known SuperExpert games in age of empires back in the day. but at least back then it was to hide cheats. on here it's some sort of form of enjoyment.

actually, all good alts are probably just boom using different names and different personalities. I'M ONTO YOU

mixa

Banned via Warnings
so who wants to invite me for what.cd?

i can't get in through interview because my countrymen messed up for everybody else.

but i am responsible, you should consider

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
In case someone hasn't seen the videos from the last Kanto Tournament

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB864EC8D9EC14FBD
I did not know of this, will be fun to watch tomorrow

Also, in
【スマブラ第7回関東大会2012】 S VS ふくおかけん 【BEST8】

Nice Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h97Iz8mQ70&t=1m40s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h97Iz8mQ70&t=3m8s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYjwptqwJt4&t=1m0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYjwptqwJt4&t=2m10s
That Samus

Also, found out that Josuke is pronounced "Joe Skay"

Sedda

Smash Champion
just thought i'd let everybody know that while playing cobr tonight, a couple of latin lovers were sexually harassing a woman in the chat. it was cray

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Nobleman vs. Length Assistant is poetically random. I love some of the bogus online translators give you.

Olikus

Smash Champion
taken from king fuhnks thread :

1st - Jousuke (Samus)
2nd - Kikoushi (Kirby)
3rd and 4th - S (Fox) and Hitoshio (Pikachu)
5th to 8th - Fukuokaken (Pikachu), Orion (Pikachu), Ruoka Danchon (C. Falcon) and TKG (Kirby)

kikoushi is playing ruoka in QF and S in semi

Jousuke played orion in QF and hitoshi in SF

S played Fukuokaken in QF

and Hitoshio played TKG in QF

exept jousuke ofc, S the fox player and Orion pika was the ones that impressed me the most.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
So, I have this add-on which is a jp. dictionary and shows me stuff when I hover the mouse over jp. characters:

And 団長 (Dancho) is "leader of a delegation (body, party)"

Jousuke is prolly just a surname, I don't know enough japanese to know if he's doing puns or being cute with his handle. Like this guy is doing:

Top Bottom