• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

malva00

Smash Master
it is kinda scary about thinking that gerson could go. if we played this bad vs. a well annoying kirby, imagine vs. a really good "annoying" pikachu.

would be cool to get jousuke and gerson go, top 4 players then
Gerson is much better than Kikoushi. Gerson could probably win more than lose against me on any given day. Then again I could be underestimating myself.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Gerson is much better than Kikoushi. Gerson could probably win more than lose against me on any given day. Then again I could be underestimating myself.
In pika dittos maybe. But the peruvians play mostly hyrule right? I recall you winning more %-wise with fox on hyrule than with your pika

This apex will be sick. I wanna see Kikoushi vs KillerDI

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I never said I thought Kikoushi was better than Gerson.

I just think Japan is better than Peru overall. Doesn't really matter though because we'll never find out.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
We recorded more Fox vs Pika, so winning more %-wise with Fox doesn't mean much.
There were 11 with fox (cause one was cut off) and 10 with pika. the difference between 1/10 and 1/11 is 0.9%, so they mean about the same thing.

Do you have a trip planned?

Also you should come through New Brunswick next Saturday if this fest pulls together.
Next saturday the fest should be at the house I stay at in washington: 2-4 open beds, easy parking.

Braverman

Smash Rookie
first post here and i had a question when it comes to fox and falco there is this thing that ive seen where if they up b directly to the ledge as opposed to continuing to travel while just hitting the ledge they stop their up b and grab ledge. how is this performed in super smash brothers melee?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i am down to go to steve's or new brunswick

also braverman, i dunno, go to the melee section of smashboards and ask them, for you are in the 64 cave

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Washington would be way harder for clubba to get to, and I don't think megavolt, valoem, or I could make it there either.

Also free parking in nb on weekends, and I have a megacouch.

Sensei get in this.

malva00

Smash Master
There were 11 with fox (cause one was cut off) and 10 with pika. the difference between 1/10 and 1/11 is 0.9%, so they mean about the same thing.
When you said "In pika dittos maybe," I thought you meant I am capable of beating him more often with Fox. However, in those recorded matches, it was 6-4 for Pika and 7-4 for Fox. That means that if an 11th Pika ditto was played, I could have won, which would have made the winning percentage the same for both Pikachu and Fox. So I don't see the significance of my Fox winning an 11th game that my Pikachu did not have the opportunity to participate in. I don't understand your post I quoted.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
The Japanese version? I guess *** is censored? I think cmu has a copy.

Still missing jimmy joe, greg, and the KOROSHIYO.

Battlecow

Play to Win

This is actually very fascinating to me

That's if it's all hyrule, correct?

My patriotism says you could take him.

I'd donate for Gerson, but I think we overestimate the depth of our pockets if we try to get more than one peruvian here, and if Gerson is possibly the best in the world (I don't believe it and I don't think the facts support it but 2nd best easily) I vote Gerson fund.

Obv the more the better and if some of you are rich then yeah bring Tavo as well

HYPED about it but I still think Isai's famous MODESTY is the only thing behind that post

#murica

PS Isai that's bad math; you might also have lost that last match with pika. 7 of 11 is better than 6 of 10.

But obviously the way you feel about how they went matters more than the difference between 6/10 and 7/11

PPS CONGRATS TO JIMMY JOE ON THE ENGAGEMENT

PPPS Guys how are we going to sabotage Jimmy's marriage in time to save his smash career?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
we don't need to sabotage it, his bride-to-be has actually attended a tournament and presumably does not think us all worthless wastes of time, therefore she will not try to convince james joseph to spend time AWAY FROM US

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
When you said "In pika dittos maybe," I thought you meant I am capable of beating him more often with Fox. However, in those recorded matches, it was 6-4 for Pika and 7-4 for Fox. That means that if an 11th Pika ditto was played, I could have won, which would have made the winning percentage the same for both Pikachu and Fox. So I don't see the significance of my Fox winning an 11th game that my Pikachu did not have the opportunity to participate in. I don't understand your post I quoted.
Well the probability you would have one the next one at that point is (6/10). This would put your score at 7/11, The probablitiy you lose is (4/10). This would put your score at 6/11. So your expected value of your score after the match is [(6/10)*(7/11)+(4/10)(6/11)] = 0.6 = 6.6/11
This is still less than 7/11 ~ 0.63.

Your fox is better on hyrule than your pika on hyrule against Gerson's pika.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Dude you're valuing a statistically insignificant difference in a relatively small sample size over one of the participants' feelings about the matchup.

I don't think you have enough data or context to tell isai which matchup he's better at. There are all sorts of factors that could render you incorrect.

B Link

Smash Lord
I'm kinda interested in knowing what happened in the non-recorded matches, unless they weren't playing seriously. But Isai might not remember cuz it was so long ago lol

Also, I'm assuming Gerson got the hang of the link-pika ditto? Toronto players would like to know how that matchup went over time.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Dude you're valuing a statistically insignificant difference in a relatively small sample size over one of the participants' feelings about the matchup.

I don't think you have enough data or context to tell isai which matchup he's better at. There are all sorts of factors that could render you incorrect.
You sound like a ****ing english major. "Yeah but he has feelings about the matchups man" .If you are going to contest my conclusions then run the experiments and disprove it. You should step up and pay for gerson to come here just to prove me wrong.

Or I can go back and look at the stock data. 50-55 lives feel good enough for you?

EDIT: I just rememberd that Isai and Gerson went pika dittos in the Isai vs Tacna and Gerson won. That puts Isai with 6/11 with pika and 7/11 with fox. What a coincidence.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
bcow is an english major, steve

but that is a fair point, i think: mindset certainly has a lot to do with how well you perform, and if you have bad feelings about a matchup/player, you're more likely to lose, wouldn't you say?

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Ok ran the stocks. When a person won, I recorded how many stocks they had left:
rat v rat

1: g = 4
2: g = 3
3: i = 3
4: i = 2
5: i = 1
6: g = 4
7: i = 3
8: i = 2
9: i = 1
10:g = 3
12: g = 2

g = 16
i = 12

rat v fox
1: i = 1
2: i = 1
3: g = 1
4: g = 2
5: i = 1
6: i = 4
7: i = 3
8: g = 3
9: g = 1
11:i = 1
12:i = 2

g = 7
i = 13

So when Isai won in pika dittos he won by less than how much gerson won by. But when Isai won as fox, he won with more stocks than he had won with as pika! And won with more stocks as gerson won with against fox. It is clear that my assertion is right: Isai's fox is better than his pika on hyrule against gerson's pika.

EDIT: you can even go back and do it by score, but I would bet I am still correct even under that criteria..

Battlecow

Play to Win
You sound like a ****ing english major. "Yeah but he has feelings about the matchups man" .If you are going to contest my conclusions then run the experiments and disprove it. You should step up and pay for gerson to come here just to prove me wrong.

Or I can go back and look at the stock data. 50-55 lives feel good enough for you?

EDIT: I just rememberd that Isai and Gerson went pika dittos in the Isai vs Tacna and Gerson won. That puts Isai with 6/11 with pika and 7/11 with fox. What a coincidence.
Lord, someone doesn't know how the world works.

That's bad math. You can't just run numbers and assume that it gives you the unvarnished truth. What you're doing is the equivalent of watching the cardinals lose a set to the cubs and win a set against the red sox, and then saying that you knew for a fact that the cardinals are better against the red sox than the cubs. Try telling that to an oddsmaker sometime, and then berate them for being wishy-washy about numbers after they laugh your ass out of the building. In that situation, listening to the cardinals' manager about their relative chances would be a better thing to base a bet on.

If it makes you feel better, change it to 7/11 and 6/10. The logic above holds. Even if the scores were skewed towards the cubs.

And assuming that stock count is necessarily and unproblematically correlated with win percentage is a headache of its own. Not to mention that they played the characters in chunks, meaning that Isai or gerson might have been tired, unwarmed up, etc. during either "set," or that (more likely) one of the players learned the other's playstyle as time went on.

Look, you might be right. It could even be probable that you're right; maybe the numbers mean a lot. But to say that you have mathematically proven your correctness to the point where you can make unqualified statements about isai's matchups for him is terrible, awful math. Take an econ class or something.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Guys, Karajan is just trolling. He does this all the time, and it works everytime. Stop validating his troll posts

malva00

Smash Master
Guys, Karajan is just trolling. He does this all the time, and it works everytime. Stop validating his troll posts
thanks CLUBBA, I just ignored him.

BTW, Firo came over my home today, and we recorded a bunch of matches plus a 12 Character Battle. I should have the videos up on YouTube by tomorrow.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Apparently kaillera.com is down, maybe that's the reason why nobody can access master server list and waiting games list.

Anyone have Japanese servers IPs then?

Top Bottom