• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Cob, you seem to be arguing that smashers are entirely capable of simply giving up smash and never playing again.

I'm not sure anyone is arguing against that.

I've known people who have stopped playing smash due to lack of interest and never picked it back up again. But they don't come on smashboards and make an event out of it by announcing that they're quitting or retiring. That's what I find silly.

I just don't see the point in announcing that you're quitting or retiring from a hobby. It's just a hobby. If you don't enjoy it anymore stop playing/doing it. It's something you've clearly enjoyed in the past, just because you don't enjoy it now why should you denounce the possibility of ever enjoying it in the future?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Edit: You see that little "s" you put on the end of the word "food" on your previous post? Yeah, I responded to that little devil there. He can do WONDERS
did you see that little word "all" in the sentence? hum, suppose not. every favorite food you've ever had as a kid, you still eat? well then, i'm glad you still have a taste for baby formula and mommy's breast milk, since i'm sure they were your faves at one point in your childhood. you are truly awe inspiring.

I've known people who have stopped playing smash due to lack of interest and never picked it back up again. But they don't come on smashboards and make an event out of it by announcing that they're quitting or retiring. That's what I find silly.

I just don't see the point in announcing that you're quitting or retiring from a hobby. It's just a hobby. If you don't enjoy it anymore stop playing/doing it.
to refer back to smash instead of other games as i did before, i mean, in armada's case, people have brought up that he may not want to underperform or put in the time. announcing a retirement is for the community's benefit - i'm sure there are players who are going to be sad they won't play him again at a tournament, and maybe there are people whose only challenge was armada, and now there's less motivation for them to continue, too (see: magic and bird documentary, where magic's retirement caused larry to have no desire to be on the court anymore...granted, magic came out retirement for a bit, highlighting the previous point by clubba).

It's something you've clearly enjoyed in the past, just because you don't enjoy it now why should you denounce the possibility of ever enjoying it in the future?
well, some people know themselves well enough that this kind of knowledge isn't a problem. i know i never wanted to play aoe again. what i think is silly is saying people will DEFINITELY come out of retirement.

but again, mayhaps these retired folk aren't saying they will never enjoy playing again, but that they cannot see themselves investing the same amount of time and dedication.

and for those who do come out of retirement, especially well known or high level players, that sort of thing can rouse the community more.
"oh, dude, i heard ______ is back! now _____ might not be ranked where he is anymore!"
old clans were rebirthed and old styles were reintroduced when people came back to aoe after an eight year retirement. i'm sure for smash if people from years back suddenly came and newer players started to play against names they'd only ever heard, it'd make a bit of an impact.

i'm not saying people who retire aren't going to come back. they may get the desire again, but then again, they may not.
i'm saying nobody should make a statement like they WILL come back EVENTUALLY, because they cannot know that.

Froski

Boss of Bosses

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Someone should go back through all the posts in this SSB64 forum and write a concise history of the SSB64 community.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i agree with sheer

i stand by saying that the english language sucks; as do all current languages. you can't accurately describe what you EXACTLY mean unless your audience has a specific background in the same language and tone you use, which is only inclusive to YOURSELF, seeing as no 2 people live a similar life SANS CONJOINED TWINS.

ggs modern language

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retire

re·tire
   [ri-tahyuhr] Show IPA verb, re·tired, re·tir·ing, noun
verb (used without object)
to withdraw, or go away or apart, to a place of privacy, shelter, or seclusion: He retired to his study.
to go to bed: He retired at midnight.
to withdraw from office, business, or active life, usually because of age: to retire at the age of sixty.
to fall back or retreat in an orderly fashion and according to plan, as from battle, an untenable position, danger, etc.
to withdraw or remove oneself: After announcing the guests, the butler retired.

YOU CAN'T RETIRE FROM A HOBBY! (if you use the above definition of "retire" this makes no sense. if you have a similar background in words as me, this makes perfect sense. good **** sheer)

OFF TOPIC, this is pretty neat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XUVjK9W4o

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^pwned by the dictionary.

Cobr, you are right that it is ridiculous for us to guarantee someone will be back. I am joking when I say that. But it is equally ridiculous for someone to guarantee they will never play smash again (again, not referring to armada). As you said we can't control our urges and we might one day wake up without the urge to smash. But just as we can't control them we cannot predict our future urges. That's why it doesn't sit well with me. When you say you are never gonna play smash anymore, its 1) uncertain, 2) unnecessary and 3)Can become a self fulfilling prophesy.

Cool vid. I wish that baseball catch was real though. Apparently its a Gillette commercial.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
i agree with sheer

i stand by saying that the english language sucks; as do all current languages. you can't accurately describe what you EXACTLY mean unless your audience has a specific background in the same language and tone you use, which is only inclusive to YOURSELF, seeing as no 2 people live a similar life SANS CONJOINED TWINS.

ggs modern language

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retire

re·tire
   [ri-tahyuhr] Show IPA verb, re·tired, re·tir·ing, noun
verb (used without object)
to withdraw, or go away or apart, to a place of privacy, shelter, or seclusion: He retired to his study.
to go to bed: He retired at midnight.
to withdraw from office, business, or active life, usually because of age: to retire at the age of sixty.
to fall back or retreat in an orderly fashion and according to plan, as from battle, an untenable position, danger, etc.
to withdraw or remove oneself: After announcing the guests, the butler retired.

YOU CAN'T RETIRE FROM A HOBBY! (if you use the above definition of "retire" this makes no sense. if you have a similar background in words as me, this makes perfect sense. good **** sheer)

OFF TOPIC, this is pretty neat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XUVjK9W4o
Doesn't mean that change in culture can't change what "retire" means despite its dictionary meaning. I'm sure you know already a few words that meant something back in the day, but mean something else now.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I wasn't out to prove anyone wrong. If someone thinks it's perfectly acceptable for gamers to retire from gaming, that's their opinion and I don't believe they're wrong in thinking that.

I just wanted to do my best to convey why I think it's silly.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
knitephox,

a. intr. To withdraw permanently from one's usual activity or sphere of activity.
from the OED, which far surpasses d.r.com.

Cobr, you are right that it is ridiculous for us to guarantee someone will be back. I am joking when I say that
i thought you were totally serious. which is why i responded.

oh and sheer, likewise, i just wanted to explain why i think it's perfectly plausible.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
The way I feel about "retiring" (from a game or sport or whatevs), is that you're more likely to come back if you announce it. If somethings comes up that prevents you from doing that activity, then you are less likely to come back, whether that be moving away from it, time conflicts, old age, etc.

I mean Michael Jordan was on top of the game and left twice... and came back twice. And even though he's retired now he probably still shoots hoops a bit here and there.

As for Armada, it will probably be the same thing. He might not compete at a top level anymore, and he might come back to doing so, but I honestly don't think he'll give up playing smash.

Still though nice points on culture and words and stuff

C.SDK

Smash Ace
The way I feel about "retiring" (from a game or sport or whatevs), is that you're more likely to come back if you announce it. If somethings comes up that prevents you from doing that activity, then you are less likely to come back, whether that be moving away from it, time conflicts, old age, etc.

I mean Michael Jordan was on top of the game and left twice... and came back twice. And even though he's retired now he probably still shoots hoops a bit here and there.

As for Armada, it will probably be the same thing. He might not compete at a top level anymore, and he might come back to doing so, but I honestly don't think he'll give up playing smash.

Still though nice points on culture and words and stuff
Armada said he wasn't gonna stop entering tournaments in Europe. So it's not like he's setting himself up for a self fulfilling prophecy when people notice he's still playing.

When someone says they're retiring in smash, it does sound a bit funny to me but I respect that descision. It's basically an indefinite hiatus. "Retiring" has just been an accepted term for quitting a game/indefinite hiatus/ in the gaming community when top pros like Armada stop playing the game. For example, KnitePhox quoting a dictionary rather than acknowledging that retiring is just an accepted term in the gaming community despite whatever the dictionary says.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
some new combos posted by Prince and another person. Prince seems to have made a vid showcasing 5 different "lebels"/levels of combos for every character. Basically, the higher the level, the harder it is to do. (such as the Lv1's being practical basic 0-d combos and the Lv5's being rather insane.)

Level 1, 2 and 3

Difficulty 4

Difficulty 5

Single fox combo

C.SDK

Smash Ace
oh my bad, near
I'm not seeing the point you're trying to make. That quote was part of your post about how all languages suck and I think you were talking about context in that part of your post. I don't think it's possible to have context built in to any language unless humans gain the ability of telepathy.

Anyways, I don't see how differences in context (or lack thereof) has anything to do with what I'm saying. It certainly doesn't make what I've said not true.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
I also go through the post-tournament lack of interest due to how crappy online is (hence why I always get super rusty in between tourneys).
This be why alot of us get rusty lol. I'm a bit lucky to have a few players by me who are some what good at the game but I think I may now be better then them. Only really good player we have in WA is Kefit.

MattNF

Smash Lord

Oh cmon, getting called ****** on my first day back? With jigglypuff no less? I guess 2 years away is good for practice. :smirk:
jigglypuff makes people rage a lot for some reason

<fiaghting gfaems > are you gonna use anyone else
<fiaghting gfaems > other than kirby
<SuperDoo> are u going to pl;ay like a cheater
<fiaghting gfaems > LOLWUT
<SuperDoo> u play like a cheater
<fiaghting gfaems > LMFAO
<SuperDoo> like jiggly puff
<fiaghting gfaems > how so
<SuperDoo> u flew above me the entire time
<fiaghting gfaems > are you trying to trick me again
<SuperDoo> u refuse to let skill determine it
<SuperDoo> ure just running
<SuperDoo> and forcing certain senarios
<SuperDoo> i can do that too
<fiaghting gfaems > do it then
<fiaghting gfaems > please
<SuperDoo> the match will just take longer
<SuperDoo> ya fine
<SuperDoo> bore us to tears
<SuperDoo> lol *******

I am "fiaghting gfaems"

C.SDK

Smash Ace
SuperDoo is such a dweeb. He's like Kirby scrub #362736 who says he's good but gets beat all the time. I 4 stocked his Kirby and that shut him up for a while. Then he started **** talking some other guy.

Channighan

Smash Ace
90% of Kirby users are cocky and John when they lose. All of their other characters are *** because they aren't used to hitboxes making sense.

Also, if my Kirby can go neck and neck against your Kirby, and I don't even PLAY the game that much OR the character, what does that say about you as a Kirby main?

:phone:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
perhaps the most annoying is the tendency for kirby players to land some bull**** dair or fsmash and then immediately taunt. or pause when a grab is about to hit the ground.

some dude did it to me twice, so i returned the favor with three spikes, jump to highest plat on hyrule, usmash, taunt pause. he quit. it's irritating, really, playing online.

Battlecow

Play to Win
i usually play cool people

when they start pausing and **** just leave lol

I'm really polite to people who may be worth salvaging and waste 0 time with absolutely hopeless/rude people, it works super well

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Online sucks ballz as it is (even more so for a WC player), so people like that make me want to never come back. It's really irritatiing.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
You know, I was expecting ^ this n00b or Battlecow to make some smartass comment but whatever, I'll continue coming here just to spite this turd.

EDIT: seriously, who says something dumb like that without some ulterior reason? Are you saying that online/Kaillera doesn't suck and in particular to the WC when the main server is in the EC? Or, you know, it could be that you have something against me for no good reason. I've had nothing against you up until this point (despite our few encounters here and there). Someone else could've said the same thing and you would've brushed it off, but no, it was me and you took it as some personal insult for some absurd reason.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I paused once against Johnny (Isai's BUDDY) back in the day. He then kicked me.

True Story.

He was also a legendary **** online. But who knows, maybe he's a sweetheart irl. Seems to be the trend.

Glad to see some things will never change. :awesome:

>do L-cancel
STOP HACKING
>combo them
YOU'RE CHEATING
>items off
lame tourneyfgt!
>slide with jigglypuff
"username" has left the game
:cool:
haha Nice xD

Seriously though. Most peeps I meet are fine, but every once in a while I get the peeps Rawr is talking about. If there's anything I don't like, I just finish the game, say gg, and leave.

Battlecow's method is ALMOST perfect also...

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
I dont even understand how people can get better playing online. I feel like it makes me worse at console

Top Bottom