• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't think armada retired from melee cause he's scared

PP's had closer tourneys than apex with him in the past, and armada can adjust to marth just as hard as PP to peach

I really think he's telling the truth when he says he doesn't wanna keep up the work or play at a subpar level.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i think i've said this before, but I'll never truly understand the concept of "retiring" from a video game. I can understand gradually losing time to play as real life gets in the way or if it just loses its fun factor, but I don't get how players reach that point where they're like "ya know, i'm never gonna play this again."

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I agree, retiring from a video game is dumb.

Plus almost everyone who says it comes back at some point.

If you don't enjoy it anymore take a break, but chances are you're going to get the urge to play it again. I mean you probably took the time to get really good at it and play it competitively because it's one of your favorite games. So don't act like you're done forever and proclaim you're "retired".

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yea i should've been more clear. I'm not talking specifically about armada because it sounds like he's still gonna play. But sometimes people just say they're gonna retire, and its so stupid. Cuz its like.... dude, no you're not. See you in 2 months.

I can see how it was assumed I was talking about Armada, considering that's pretty much been the entire topic of discussion lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you can still 'retire' from being committed to the game

i mean, can you honestly say that you will play a game 5 or so hours a day, every day you're able, for the rest of your life? playing casual and playing competitively are far enough apart that you may as well call it 'retirement', y'know

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i retired from playing age of empires..and so did many others. it's still available to play online, but i haven't touched it since my retirement in 07. it's not dumb, you just lose the interest in playing competitively; at least, i did.

there are many reasons to retire, though. lack of competition, loss of interest, change of client (in aoe's case, anyway), no more time, your friends stop playing, the community changes, etc etc etc.

maybe ya'll just don't have the self control to retire. SHRUG

Battlecow

Play to Win
Who said he was retiring

I mean I heard that too but I don't trust it

he said to the screwattack guys that the first thing he'd do when he got home was play smash

also the last sentence there lowers the collective IQ of the 64 section a good 20 points. Edit out please before it gives me AIDS

clubbadubba

Smash Master
It's one thing to retire in the sense that you just don't have a reason/time to play the game anymore so you just stop. Like with aoe. Its another thing to say "I'm never playing this again!" One just kind of happens, and the other you force to happen.

There's no reason to make an event of it, either you will play again or you won't. Its weird when people purposefully make such a final statement. Especially when lots of them are soon back at it anyways.

kys

Smash Ace
LOOOOL "retiring" is ********. You don't retire from a video game. No one cares.

You know, like, Brett Favre retires (3 times, or whatever it is). Professional athletes and celebrities retire.

It's a hobby, not a profession. The use of the word "retirement" has always made me lol in video games.

"Hey guys, I'm just thinking that I should retire from collecting stamps. I'm just not feeling it."

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
LOOOOL "retiring" is ********. You don't retire from a video game. No one cares.
actually, the community you're a part of cares quite a bit (assuming you're known or important, anyway), and really, they're the only ones that matter.

another example is runescape. i played recreationally and stopped; i didn't retire. but there was a dude (who actually was one of the greatest aoe players and moved to rs) who basically retired from aoe, started playing rs, and within two years overtook top dude on there for first place, maxed a skill or two out to its total, and then retired his character. a lot of his friends were sad to see him go.

many people probably really enjoy playing armada/watching him play. they will miss him, i presume.

you don't have to get weekly revenue to retire from something, ya dig?

Froski

Boss of Bosses
^
Haha....what? The word "retire" is (somewhat) out of context when directed towards video games. But overall its not that big of a deal.

You know, like, Brett Favre retires (3 times, or whatever it is). Professional athletes and celebrities retire.

It's a hobby, not a profession. The use of the word "retirement" has always made me lol in video games.

"Hey guys, I'm just thinking that I should retire from collecting stamps. I'm just not feeling it."

Although this is your opinion (and nobody really cares about that either) :awesome:

C.SDK

Smash Ace
I think the only people that can say they're retiring from smash is when they say "smash career" when they're referring to their time spent with the game. Also, a lot of top level players consider themselves "pro gamers" or E-Sport competitors so in a sense, saying you'll retire is justified because you're not really playing the game anymore at a competitive level. Just because, say, Tiger Woods retires from Golf, it doesn't mean he can't still occassionally play golf for fun and still be "retired."

Kys is confusing retiring and making your retirement public. Check out Armada's thread where people obviously don't care or the fact that M2K cried for 10 minutes apparently.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
What if someone's "profession" is video games? You know, like a top level LoL/DOTA 2/Starcraft player.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I don't think I've ever really 'retired' from a game. I also agree 'retiring' is nonsense. You can always pick the game back up whenever you want, it's more like a hiatus than anything.

Armada will be back, even if it's not in a major tournament like Apex.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I guess I would prefer the phrase "I'm gonna take a break from ______ for a while." Because you're coming back eventually and we all know it.

And yea for players in SC2 and other games where they are actually professionals who can make their livings off of the game, then yes retiring makes sense because its your job.

Late Australian Open predictions: Sloane Stephens all the way. USA, USA, USA!

prisonchild

Smash Ace
i think people are getting bent out shape by the use of retire.

imo if you do something competitively or professionally then you can retire from it.

also, retire simply means to withdraw from something. just because it is commonly used for a career doesn't mean that's the only way to use it.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I guess I would prefer the phrase "I'm gonna take a break from ______ for a while." Because you're coming back eventually and we all know it.
refer to what i said about self control; see my statement about myself and age of empires; see my statement about rs; etc.

what you would prefer to hear doesn't really matter, does it? if homeboy wants to retire, you and anyone else's phrase of choice is irrelevant.

and no, we don't "all know you're coming back eventually". that's a dumb, generalized statement to make. that's essentially mistrusting someone's choice and being condescending, as if you know their motives and their future decisions better than they do.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Why are you guys so worked up about this

you spend hours a day playing a game then you don't play it anymore for whatever reason

this is something a lot of people do

"retire" seems like an appropriate word to me

clubbadubba

Smash Master
lol people are getting awfully defensive. chill guys.

My original statement was I'll never understand people "retiring" from video games. And I still don't. Imposing a self-ban on something that doesn't harm yourself doesn't make sense to me.

Taking a break makes sense to me. Maybe its forever, maybe not, but I don't understand people deciding up front that the break is forever. Its just weird lol. Again, all I'm saying is that I do not understand that mentality. AND THAT IS AN INDISPUTABLE FACT. PWNED.

Also, they're all coming back eventually.

Reasons to retire from something that I understand:

1) You no longer need to work (real retirement from real jobs)

2) You are unable to perform your job due to age or injury (real retirement from fake jobs like sports).

3) You want to go do another job but then come back like MJ (fake retirement from fake jobs like sports).

Reasons I don't understand:

1) Don't want to right now, so I am never coming back (fake retirement from fake jobs).

M!nt

Smash Champion
^agree @ battlecow

who's this armada guy !??! there's more important things like that bane is quitting smash nuuuu

#DontQuitBane2013

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think people are unclear about what retiring actually means for Armada. According to his reddit AMA, this guy practices for at least 3 hours per day for 3 weeks before US tournaments (1 hr per day otherwise). This is how he remains the most consistently good player in Melee. Think about how much more time he has now that he's retired. Sure, he could just go to tourneys and not practice, but I don't think Armada is the kind of guy that would be willing to perform at anything less than his very best.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
again I'm not talking about Armada's version of retiring, more like wotg's version where he decides to never play again. And then comes back to play again. Its imposing these permanent self bans from ever playing again that are strange to me

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nobody is getting worked up that I see...

I still agree with clubba.

Maybe its forever, maybe not, but I don't understand people deciding up front that the break is forever.
Playing smash is a hobby. They clearly enjoyed it a tremendous amount at some point. How can you just decide you're never going to have the urge to partake in one of your favorite video games again?

The fact that almost everyone we see "quit" or "retire" from smash eventually come back doesn't help sway our opinion either.

Battlecow

Play to Win
jesus sheer what happened to retaining an even keel stop screaming my god

oh man he **** himself

now he's crying silent tears of rage

wow that's just embarassing

Sheer man you have to learn to take these arguments less seriously

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Sorry dude I've always been overly emotional.

On a related note I've had 0 urge to play ssb64 since Apex. But I know it will come back, perhaps a week from now, or maybe a month. So I'll refrain from retiring.

For now.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I've had very little urge to do anything but play ssb since apex. Unfortunately I've only had enough time to play like once, maybe twice. Maybe I should retire until I have more time?

Online sux though, real talk

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I also go through the post-tournament lack of interest due to how crappy online is (hence why I always get super rusty in between tourneys).

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Playing smash is a hobby. They clearly enjoyed it a tremendous amount at some point. How can you just decide you're never going to have the urge to partake in one of your favorite video games again?
i think you mixed this up.

they didn't decide to never have the urge; urges are uncontrollable. the decision to play is one that you can, however, control.

wanting to do something and going through with it are two different things. people quit their favorite hobbies all the time. i used to make one car model a week for three or four years, and then one day i bought one, brought it home, and never opened it, and haven't done a model since. i lost the will.

are you all telling me you still play all of your favorite games from your childhood and partake in the same activities and eat the same favorite foods, without quitting any of them?

Froski

Boss of Bosses
i\
are you all telling me you still play all of your favorite games from your childhood and partake in the same activities and eat the same favorite foods, without quitting any of them?

Yes i still play my childhood games, smash included

And why wouldn't we eat our favorite foods? I wouldn't go outside and eat a pile of dog **** with soy sauce.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
that's a bad analogy. my favorite food used to be those swanson turkey tv dinners. i would eat two a day when for like three years when i was younger. and then i stopped. cold turkey. ba dum ksh. i also used to play crash team racing for hours each day, and now i might touch it twice a year.

so you've never said "man, i used to love doing/eating/going/watching/_______, but not anymore?" that there is nothing you used to do that you loved that you now do not do anymore? come on.

i find that harder to believe than a statement like, "we all know you're coming back".

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Dont see anything relating to smash

so

Doo ndiists'a' da

-

Edit: You see that little "s" you put on the end of the word "food" on your previous post? Yeah, I responded to that little devil there. He can do WONDERS

Top Bottom