• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

SSBPete

Smash Lord
so when is that australian tourney that's handing out free plane tickets to people happening?
I'm not quite sure when the next proper tourney is, but all the top aus smashers will be in Melbourne fairly soon. I think a smashfest may be in order.

Best to wait for James'/aa's response in terms of plane tickets.

:phone:

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
SirLaser, you are just trying to state who is more accomplished, which is not a great measure of intelligence. Accomplishments require that you have the ambition to achieve them, which has nothing to do with intelligence. It is very plausible that someone even smarter than Newton and Da Vinci has existed, but was a lazy mofo and got nothing done. I think ballin is right in saying there is no good way to measure it. Just because that's not the answer we want doesn't make it wrong. If you think about it, wouldn't it be quite a feat to determine the intelligence of someone when they're dead and have no brain activity left to measure? I think if someone comes up with an accurate way to do that, they might be the smartest person alive.

And yea as an engineering student about to graduate, classical mechanics is probably the most used idea in engineering. It doesn't work well on quantum scales, but for everyday scale it works extremely well and is used to govern the design of most machines you've ever worked with.
So are you saying there's no way to compare, [at this time] even partially objectively, the relative intelligence of the deceased? I asked ballin this question but unfortunately he didn't respond.

Also, yes, I agree. But classical mechanics does have limitations that currently holds back technological advancements (so I have no clue how the **** Intel keeps its production cadence going at the pace it's currently at).

ballin4life said:
anyway, i don't think a person's intelligence can be quantified in the manner you want. for starters, there are different types of intelligence. Newton probably would rank higher on mathematical intelligence, and da Vinci would rank higher on artistic intelligence, and to make some kind of overall comparison there is impossible.
I personally don't agree with that. IMO, if someone's truly "intelligent", then they should be capable of intellectual maneuvers in many fields of study. A "balanced man" so to speak.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
So are you saying there's no way to compare, [at this time] even partially objectively, the relative intelligence of the deceased? I asked ballin this question but unfortunately he didn't respond.
I thought I responded. In a nutshell I think your methods aren't going to be precise enough to make a good comparison.

I personally don't agree with that. IMO, if someone's truly "intelligent", then they should be capable of intellectual maneuvers in many fields of study. A "balanced man" so to speak.
Perhaps Newton was capable of being a beast in many other fields but he just liked math and science the best?

Seriously though I know that people have theorized about there being multiple types of intelligence. Mark Twain was a great writer, which obviously requires a lot of intelligence, but just because he was extremely intelligent in the field of language that does not mean that he would have been a great mathematician too.

I like to consider myself intelligent, but I'm horrible at art. I don't think the skills involved in art are necessarily related to those used in math, for instance.

kys

Smash Ace
Is anyone else watching this Memphis-LA game? It's really entertaining.

NEEDS MOAR NBA LOVERS.

Basketball is awesome. For that matter, all sports are awesome. Ballin' complained b4 about their not being any sports talk, so I'm doing my due diligence. SHOW THE LOVE.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Too many games to keep up with right now kys, maybe in the 2nd round. I like playing sports a lot, but watching a whole game is a big time investment. Tough to do when I'm not a fan of one of the teams, and seeing as how the wizards barely missed the playoffs I don't have a real team left.

kys

Smash Ace
Too many games to keep up with right now kys, maybe in the 2nd round. I like playing sports a lot, but watching a whole game is a big time investment. Tough to do when I'm not a fan of one of the teams, and seeing as how the wizards barely missed the playoffs I don't have a real team left.
Loooool. I feel your pain. I'm a true Nets fan. I know how what it's like feeding on the bottom. At least you have.....John Wall?

I'll be eagerly anticipating your 2nd round analysis/predictions/analysis. June and October (with February and early November rounding out a close 3rd) are awesome sports months. NHL and NBA playoffs are amazing. Best athletes in the world imo.

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
I thought I responded. In a nutshell I think your methods aren't going to be precise enough to make a good comparison.
Do you have a better method? Because that would be awesome (I'm not trying to be sarcastic).
Perhaps Newton was capable of being a beast in many other fields but he just liked math and science the best?

Seriously though I know that people have theorized about there being multiple types of intelligence. Mark Twain was a great writer, which obviously requires a lot of intelligence, but just because he was extremely intelligent in the field of language that does not mean that he would have been a great mathematician too.

I like to consider myself intelligent, but I'm horrible at art. I don't think the skills involved in art are necessarily related to those used in math, for instance.
Now this raises a good question: how many people good at the liberal arts are intrigued enough to try to play melee at a competitive level and thus join SWF? 'Cause everyone that I play with are very good at the math and sciences.

BTW, for the record, Mark Twain couldn't handle his $. He made a fortune from writing but lost it to investment scams. Twice.

Olikus

Smash Champion
not being any sports talk
Well, now that surri isnt posting on the boards any more, we can finally discuss table tennis without crazy sayings like: it isnt fun to watch. Or: it doesnt amuse me. Or my personal favourite: I prefer golf. LOL!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i'm at james' house now

basically he said he'd be happy to sponsor malva down here, but he wants to hold the tourney at a time when a large aussie event is happening

so i'm going to ask on the facebook/aussie swf thread if there are any tournaments happening around the time jousuke is coming down (do you think you could get him to pin-point that malva?), and if there are none, do they want to make one (as i'm sure they would hold one if malva guaranteed he'd come)

also, yeah james basically only plays melee now (we've been playing it for the past 5 hours with 1der >_>)

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I really hate playing aliases on Galaxy all the time

lalala OH nanana

Battlecow

Play to Win
tacna tourney finals (prob 3-way) is slowly being uploaded
Great matches, too! No stalling here, 2-3 minutes long apiece, delicious falcon on pika action, with some sizzling combos and tense, close games. The two polar opposites: Capitan Tavo, Falcon of the south, beloved in the community for his heroic and innovative in-game combos, facing off against Gerson, the most brutally effective player ever to pick up a controller, a convenient villain for our tale. Can raw genius and pure Dougical artistry triumph over the obstacles of tier and playstyle, and the looming specter of past results? Or will yet another Peruvian skull turn slowly upon a spit above Gerson's campfire tonight?

TUNE IN on TacnaAllStarSSB, ANYTIME YOU FEEL LIKE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3dksrbEFw0&feature=channel&list=UL

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^lol nice.

On topic, people get really mad when they play me, and I think my name adds to that...

Reactions can get pretty ridiculous sometimes.

TANK64

Smash Lord
You mean on kaillera?
Yes.

EDIT: oh it seems I'm able to play on server without DSing now for a good like 6 games at a time xD. Forgot to mention that. Laggy, but ehh my 4 frame fox was triple shining peeps. So needless to say, I think I'm getting better online lol. Still suck though :/ .

that's an important strategy though. top poker player Phil Galfond took the online username "OMGClayAiken" just because it would put other players on tilt
haha nice.

------

On a side not, I'm gonna make a channel for other 64 stuff (non-smash-related). I'll probably start with some Conker's vids, and probably MP2.

I guess kys' Conker comment blew my mind/enraged/inspired me lol.

I'll link the channel when I make it... Probably later today.

kys

Smash Ace
I've had a number of nasty encounters with randoms on galaxy. It comes with the territory. It's that whole internet anonymity thing.

I started up my first file on Conker. I'm not far; I fed the rat cheese until he exploded, and then went in the barn and got the paint can and the paint brush to make their pitchfork friend commit suicide. Lol this game is hilarious.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
that's just a product of laziness

if you're going to judge somebody on their grammar and stuff, look for spelling and other grammar mistakes beyond lack of periods, capitals, etc.

for example, ballin forgot a couple commas in that quote

Except you don't capitalize ;)
this is also a fragment (consider revising) :troll:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

Sempiternity

Smash Lord

ballin4life

Smash Hero
for example, ballin forgot a couple commas in that quote
no i didn't

that said, i am a proponent of the oxford comma.

you know how capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse"?
well the oxford comma is the difference between "We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin” and “We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.”

Top Bottom