• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Chocolate? Chocolate?!?! CHOCOLATE!!!!
I hate chocolate
Clearly you've never had a warm brownie under vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate syrup poured on top.
you missing out man.
Its the perfect fusian of vanilla and chocalate with the sensational blast of hot and cold all at once. youve gotta try it, youve just gotta! :smash:

SSBPete

Smash Lord
^^dum

They're extremely closely connected, but not the same thing.

The mind doesn't encompass dead matter from a stroke or w/e, for example, but it would still be part of the brain. That's just one example.
thats not the point

the point is i dont think the mind is non-physical or spiritual in any way

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
just watched frozen planet episode SIX

AMAZING
I'll have to check that out, all the discovery channel big budget specials are amazing. planet earth obvi, blue planet(i think that what it's called), and wild russia are pretty good series too.

and HD definitely makes a difference with these, I'd try to see them in 1080p/1080i if possible, but at least 720p.

The Star King

Smash Hero
the mind/brain argument isn't one founded on semantics.

some people believe (mostly religious) that the mind is soul-like and non-physical whereas the scientific community consider the mind as physical matter ie. a series of neurons/atoms etc. hence mind = brain.
So basically it's arguing about the existence of a soul/spirit

So basically it's a disguised religious argument

OK then

clubbadubba

Smash Master
so if Alancitu's "friends" keep their promise, they will fly him down to Tacna for the tournament on January 14th
So what your saying is january 2012 is bringing with it an unprecedented amount of hype? Did I say January 2012, i meant Hypeuary

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I would say even hyper because apex is bigger and now peru has mad respect from everyone. it deserves 2 HYPE THREADS

SSBPete

Smash Lord
So basically it's arguing about the existence of a soul/spirit

So basically it's a disguised religious argument

OK then
pretty much yes, although their are some non-religious people (not many) that believe in a soul and they call themselves 'cartesian dualists' after the philosopher descartes, who revolutionised the idea.

did no one take philosophy?

Battlecow

Play to Win
>Randomly says something about mind and brain being the same

>Reasonable people inform him that he is incorrect

>Clarifies by saying that he meant the mind wasn't spiritual

>No one disagrees

>"Did no one take philosophy? Why must I languish here among my intellectual inferiors?"

>___________________________________<

Stick to making combos.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
>Randomly says something about mind and brain being the same

>Reasonable people inform him that he is incorrect

>Clarifies by saying that he meant the mind wasn't spiritual

>No one disagrees

>"Did no one take philosophy? Why must I languish here among my intellectual inferiors?"

>___________________________________<

Stick to making combos.
its a common argument in philosophy class so i was a little surprised no one had heard of it before

i wasnt trying to be rude or anything

speaking of combos, watch my new ones

clubbadubba

Smash Master
lol yea philosophy is pretty wack imo. Philosophy majors claim to use logic and reasoning, but they are generally (don't want to offend anyone) the same people that can't handle basic math and CS. You don't gain any knowledge or skills that are useful to society that I can think of.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Uh Psychologists help people with mental disorders, which I think would benefit society.
Don't see how it would be any lesser than any other medical doctor.

DERP Philosphy lol nvm they arnt needed

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i recently visited a college and noticed they had philosophy as a major. (no offence philosphers) i saw this and couldent help but think about how much of a waste of time and money that major would be.
how do you get a job with a degree in philosophy?
are you going to enlighten people to the point where they would want to give you their money?

maybbbbbbbbeee a public speaker. maybe. risky risky.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Not as bad as theology.

"Could God create a major so useless, not even he could get a job with a degree in it?"

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
the only way to get a job in theology is to teach theology. the only way to get a job in philosophy is to teach philosophy.
its really just one big insignificant cycle of useless careers and knowledge that people stopped carring about two thousand years ago. this isnt the age of jesus christ and socrates people. no one gives a **** if you think you know the meaning of life, or if you have some special insight concerning religion.
maybe im being to extreme. doubt it though.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
psychologists, pfft

fairly sure i know psychology better than most of you, and i can safely say they don't help nearly as much as your regular GP does
but imma get paid a gorillian dollars an hour to say: "and how does that make you feel" before reaching into my pocket and literally throwing anti-depressants at them

philosophy isn't all about religion, it's a lot about logic or reasoning. it's funny, i know one person irl who takes philosphy and he scored second highest (at his school) in maths (cheers). i think it's interesting stuff but i don't think it helps much in the real world.

mind = brain is not about religion or the soul or whatever from what i've seen.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea there are a number of majors like that. English Literature is more or less the same way. History is slightly better, but not by much. I agree with you Kero, those kinds of majors aren't exactly what I would call practical.

Sometimes the logic philosophers apply is just very very flawed. I stopped giving philosophy credit after someone taking philosophy thought St. Anslem's Ontological argument for the existence of God was a good one and no amount of reasoning my friends and I tried would change his mind.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
reminds me of a comic i once saw:
good times.

Sometimes the logic philosophers apply is just very very flawed. I stopped giving philosophy credit after someone taking philosophy thought St. Anslem's Ontological argument for the existence of God was a good one and no amount of reasoning my friends and I tried would change his mind.
there are a lot of faulty arguments out there to be sure, pascal's wager springs to mind. some stuff is interesting though, i always find it fun to watch william lane craig debate people, or reading the faq on his website.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i recall reading that pharmacology is the major which leads to the lowest rate of out-of-uni employment

even lower than woman studies, which is a major that just baffles me (i might be remembering this wrong because i can't fathom woman studies being a major)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
my uni has major in story-telling

i wanted to take it so bad

also, can you text dean? i'm out of credit

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
what? mints a girl? whaat? girls? whaaaat? keros really goodlooking? whaaaaaat?!
so much **** going down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom