• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's... depressing. Especially since fantasy has always dominated over sci-fi in terms of game genres. Even when it's a sci-fi game they'll still figrue out a way to get magic and demons in there. Sighs....
You’re really not looking hard enough. Deus Ex, Astral Chain, Cyberpunk 2077, Vanquish, Daemon X Machina, Xenosaga, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, XIII: Lightning Returns, the Bioshock games. There’s plenty out there.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dragon Quest has been doing the medieval fantasy approach for years, so I wonder if they're gonna switch it up one day.
I'd love to see a real look at a fantasy medieval setting advanced into the time period of Star Trek. I feel like there are a lot of interesting things you could do with it. And if Dragon Quest is the one to do it, then good for them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You’re really not looking hard enough. Deus Ex, Astral Chain, Cyberpunk 2077, Vanquish, Daemon X Machina, Xenosaga, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, XIII: Lightning Returns, the Bioshock games. There’s plenty out there.
While I can appreciate a blend of the two styles, some of the ones you mentioned are exactly what I mentioned, mostly sci-fi with demons and magic shoehorned in. But then the rest... IDK. There are other reasons why I forgot about them, let's just say. And there hasn't been a new BioShock in years.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
While I can appreciate a blend of the two styles, some of the ones you mentioned are exactly what I mentioned, mostly sci-fi with demons and magic shoehorned in. But then the rest... IDK. There are other reasons why I forgot about them, let's just say. And there hasn't been a new BioShock in years.
You only play new games?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Lack of a Bioshock since Infinite is why I sometimes cry at night.

(I don't actually cry, but it is upsetting)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No. I just find it hard to get into a series if there is no guarantee of a continuation. No joke, usually what pushes me over the edge in finally trying out a series is a new installment being announced.
Well, it's not really a series if there's only one installment, to be fair.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, it's not really a series if there's only one installment, to be fair.
.... which game are you talking about again because BioShock has three installments.

And yes. Unless it's with an IP that I already like from other media, I often times always wait for a sequel to be released or announced to pick it up.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No. I just find it hard to get into a series if there is no guarantee of a continuation. No joke, usually what pushes me over the edge in finally trying out a series is a new installment being announced.
Then you’ve kind of put yourself in this self made bubble. And on top of that you refuse to play open world games. And on top of that you don’t like any game that isn’t action oriented so as much as I would like to give you suggestions it’s just really hard to, I mean no offense but it’s difficult to fit all those tastes.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
.... which game are you talking about again because BioShock has three installments.

And yes. Unless it's with an IP that I already like from other media, I often times always wait for a sequel to be released or announced to pick it up.
I'm just referring to games in general.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Good news is that there have been a lot of fairly credible rumours pointing to a new Bioshock "soon."

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Malicious auroral serpent in DQXI is bonkers, man.

He can apply some nasty status effects and hit like a ****ing truck for three turns in a row. Guess I'm doing some more Electro Light grinding...

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
should i go ahead with trying out the new open tournament or should i skip out of it?

if it's set to regional areas, i'll definitely join, but i believe it's a worldwide thing. hopefully i'm wrong.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Well so downloading the "never deletes" first. God of War, Yakuza 0, Trails of Cold Steel, Detroit Become Human and such first.

Still feel pretty crap after losing it all but it's not the end of the world. All my main videos and photos are on my laptop anyways.

Just not looking forward to Death Stranding and forcing through it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then you’ve kind of put yourself in this self made bubble. And on top of that you refuse to play open world games. And on top of that you don’t like any game that isn’t action oriented so as much as I would like to give you suggestions it’s just really hard to, I mean no offense but it’s difficult to fit all those tastes.
... what kind of games aren't action oriented? Walking Sims? ... Are you talking about turn based RPGs?

And it's not that I refuse to play open world games, it's just that I don't like the open world layout and play it like it's linear anyway so I wish it was just a linear level by level experience. But like.. I liked the Arkham games... Spyro and Banjo-Kazooie aren't a singular open world but they're stages are still open explorable areas....

And it's not like I won't play a series without a new upcoming installment. It's just that between buying a game with a guaranteed sequel coming that I can get invested in the hype and community around and buying a game that's a one and done or isn't getting a new installment soon without that guarantee of future enjoyment, I'm gonna pick the one with an upcoming release. But I still sometimes give them a shot. If I like.. get them for christmas or get a tonne of extra money from somewhere.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Malicious auroral serpent in DQXI is bonkers, man.

He can apply some nasty status effects and hit like a ****ing truck for three turns in a row. Guess I'm doing some more Electro Light grinding...
Yeah, the Act 3 bosses are a difficulty spike. You gotta be grinding. They dancing boss in Phnom Noh was mad ****ing annoying

Or you can just spam Magic Burst and Cobra Strike+Divide+Persecutter and call it a day.

D

Deleted member

IMO that's a bit weird. I'm the other way round: if a new game gets announced I tend to drop the previous game once it releases: it's just feels weird to me when I play a game that is really old and that has sequels. Might just be my autism though, idk

D

Deleted member

And it's not that I refuse to play open world games, it's just that I don't like the open world layout and play it like it's linear anyway so I wish it was just a linear level by level experience. But like.. I liked the Arkham games... Spyro and Banjo-Kazooie aren't a singular open world but they're stages are still open explorable areas....
Y'know I've wanted to ask you this for a long time.. what exactly don't you like about Open Worlds? Like.. is there a big open world cliche you really hate(say for example the over reliance on fast travel in most open world games), or is it something about the actual concept you don't like?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
IMO that's a bit weird. I'm the other way round: if a new game gets announced I tend to drop the previous game once it releases: it's just feels weird to me when I play a game that is really old and that has sequels. Might just be my autism though, idk
I have autism too. I just like to see everything a series has done before a new installment. Both for narrative purposes and for the sake of gauging how the series has progressed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Still wondering if that new Smash tournament is worth playing 3 hours straight for.

Like, it's a free 30 - 100 smackaroos I can get but is it still worth the time? :072: I'd have to play a long ass time, on casual mode.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Y'know I've wanted to ask you this for a long time.. what exactly don't you like about Open Worlds? Like.. is there a big open world cliche you really hate(say for example the over reliance on fast travel in most open world games), or is it something about the actual concept you don't like?
First off, I think it puts a damper on the game's general concept to begin with. Like, the Batman Arkham Games. I bought those to beat up thugs, solve mysteries, and complete puzzles. And because they had to build this big open area to run around in with sidequests and other bleh, it means that I didn't get as much of what I actually bought the game for then I could have.

I also think story always suffers with open design. If you can't control the order the player experiences things in, then how are you supposed to have a compelling and engaging narrative? Arkham manages to avoid this trap, but many open games do not. Doesn't help that many of them are also games with mute customizable planks of wood so even if there is a story it's never about you.

Plus, like, name a single open world game with slick and stylish combo based gameplay. Especially with God of Bore 4, it's like they felt like they HAD to take it out in order for it to be an open world experience. Same with platformers. Open world platformers aren't about tight controls and testing your skill. They're about solving puzzles and finding random ****. It just frustrates me.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I have autism too. I just like to see everything a series has done before a new installment. Both for narrative purposes and for the sake of gauging how the series has progressed.
Goes to show how diverse people on the spectrum are. In my case, I honestly do what I want and what’s convenient for me.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'd say that's just a matter of having different preferences.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Continued watching more of Monsters and Mysteries in America. Love how it gives focus on some more lesser-known cryptids and the paranormal.

I kid you not. There's a cryptid called the Pigman. Yes, you heard right. Pigman...

D

Deleted member

Goes to show how diverse people on the spectrum are. In my case, I honestly do what I want and what’s convenient for me.
Honestly I tend to be pretty picky when it comes to stuff, in general. Like.. I won't eat fruit and vegetables period, won't watch certain types of shows, won't play games that I've never heard of before, etc. I've been trying to improve that though, just not by much in recent memory.
I'd say that's just a matter of having different preferences.
Fair; Really it's probably moreso me being very very picky than my autism, although I imagine it's a mix of both lol

D

Deleted member

I swear there are people out to get me.

Whatever. I am going to do something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Boi you need to fix your diet.
no :secretkpop:

Personally the vast majority of the fruits and veggies I've tried have tasted like crap to me, and not super appealing. The only ones I've liked thus far is corn and broccoli. Thinking of trying apples eventually but we don't have any :drshrug: It's definitely one of the things on my "I'll deal with this eventually" list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom